PDA

View Full Version : [Town] The Temple of Inari XLVIII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Fenric
2009-01-03, 11:10 AM
You have entered the temple of Inari, in her capacity as the Goddess of Foxes.

You walk down an elegant white gravel pathway between full-grown pines. Stone lanterns provide a pure white light to the path, while casting elegant shadows among the trees.

At the end of the pathway, a bright red gate stands. A large fox carved from white alabaster gleams at each side of the gate. As you pass between the foxes and through the gate, you feel the presence of the goddess. Gentle and caring, but mischievous and lighthearted, you are never quite certain what will happen.

Past the exquisite formal gardens, you finally step into the pagoda itself. There, at the end of chamber is a raised dais. There rests a statue of a beautiful werefox woman, flanked by two snow-white celestial foxes. Offerings of rice and incense stand before the statue.

In a niche off to the right side of the door sits a Fox-Cola vending machine. Next to the coin slot, the sign reads "10 cp".

To the left side of the door is a magic mirror. This mirror is actually a portal to Trog's Tavern.

Profile for InariAlignment: Chaotic Good
Primary Domains: Good, Plant, Chaos, Healing
Secondary Domains: Magic, Sun, Animal, Trickery, Knowledge, Water
Forbidden Domains: Evil, Law, War, Death, Destruction

Goddess of the cultivation and growth of rice, including rice products. This gives her minor coverage for fertility. She is also the racial goddess of foxes, werefoxes, and kitsune.

Priest Granted Powers

Rice Paddy: Once per day
As Entangle, but the ground changes to knee-deep mud, and instead of creepers, mature rice plants twist and writhe to grapple anything in the area.

Sushi Bar: Once per day
You create rice, fish, and sake. You can create enough to feed one medium sized creature for each two caster levels.

Summon Celestial Fox: Special
You summon an image of Myobi (if you are a priestess) or Myobu (if you are a priest). The fox has HD equal to your level plus your wisdom bonus. In combat, the fox fights the same as a normal fox, but with appropriate bonuses for HD.

Cumulative Fox Abilities
{table="Head"]Priest Level|Times per Day|Special
1|1|Fight, scout, and Cure Minor Wounds
3|2|Cure Light Wounds
5|3|Status
7|4|Magic Circle Against Evil
9|4|Cure Serious Wounds[/table]
Temple Facilities

Everything but the Sanctuary and Garden has Dimensional Lock. The entire facility is Hallowed as per the spell with the Bless effect. A permanent Flame Quench (the reversed form of the 2nd edition Fire Storm spell) is on in a quiescent form on all the buildings. It can be triggered by any full priest.

- Sanctuary: the main sanctuary has the altar. This is where you must pray to speak to the goddess directly. There is a general magic circle in the center of the room.

- Meditation Gardens: accessed through a door at the far end of the sanctuary. This is a standard zen garden with raked gravle, shady nooks, picturesque pines, stone lanterns, and small intricate bridges. An artifical stream hosts large koi, and a grand cherry tree resides on a picturesque island in the middle of a good sized pond.

- Priest's Quarters: accessed by going down the stairs "halfway down the sanctuary, to the right", which leads to a covered pathway (technically under the garden).

Fenric
2009-01-03, 11:12 AM
(( What's new is old and what's old is new again. ))

Fenric walks out into the sanctuary and takes his once-accustomed seat near the stairs.

He takes out the "Stale Plots" folder and reads through it, fondly remembering old times.

Rebonack
2009-01-03, 01:22 PM
Avatar is busy walking down the streets of Town, happily whistling to herself. Only to stop suddenly.

Stop and peer at the temple. "Hey! This place was all run-down yesterday!" and with that the Far-Too-Cheerful-Far critter makes a bee line for the temple. The foxy wizard can expect to get glomped by her.

"Fenric! You're here too!"

Fenric
2009-01-03, 01:27 PM
Fenric smiles

Indeed, I am. How are you, Avatar?

Rebonack
2009-01-03, 01:38 PM
"Me? Great! Crow showed up the other day. And there are a few other people I know, but they must be alternate versions of themselves or... something," Avatar shrugs. "I figure that this must be another part of the Nexus. Sorta insulated from the rest. Or maybe the other way around? I got here by being shot! How did you find your way back?"

Fenric
2009-01-03, 01:46 PM
Fenric shrugs

Who can tell, in a place like this?

Rebonack
2009-01-03, 01:50 PM
"Yah, I 'spose. I'm just exploring right now," Avatar nods sagely. "Town is quite a bit different. And I think the Nexus has either moved or expanded. There are a bunch of places I don't recognize poppin' up everywhere now. I'm going to go check them out!"

She sets off toward the gates again before pausing and glancing back. "Oh! And tell Atreyu I said hi! He can come by the Bestiary and eat my alpaca feed any time he likes."

Fenric
2009-01-03, 02:02 PM
Fenric nods

I certainly will. Thanks for stopping by.

celtois
2009-01-04, 09:36 PM
En walks up to the chapel curiously....

but I have to deadtime...very soon...

Fenric
2009-01-04, 09:51 PM
(( Sorry, my attention is split tonight ))

En finds the night-shift NPC priests, if she hasn't deadtimed already.

celtois
2009-01-04, 10:08 PM
Undeadtime....

En attempts to enter the chapel grounds.

Fenric
2009-01-04, 10:12 PM
She gets several acolytes looking at her curiously as she walks in apprehensively. Certainly, no one impedes or threatens her in any way... there aren't even any [visible] guards.

celtois
2009-01-04, 10:21 PM
En starts to wander around looking at the chapel curiously.

Fenric
2009-01-04, 10:36 PM
The chapel has not changed...

The three story pagoda is entirely hollow inside - there is only one floor rising to a great height in the center. There are no windows on the "ground" floor, and the interior is plastered between the mighty beams that hold up the structure.

Coming in from the door, a strange sound draws your attention to a vending machine on the right, still advising you that a can of refreshing Fox Cola is a mere 5 copper away. To the left, a broken mirror rests in what was once a permanent portal to Trog's Tavern.

On each side of the room, three doorways lead off. The center doorway in the right has no door, as it is a stairway leading down.

In the center, under the highest part of the temple, a general magic circle is inlaid into the floor with powdered gems and precious metals.

Looking up from these things, you see the altar proper, where offerings of rice, gold, and incense stand before the statue of the goddess herself. Flanked by two snow white foxes, the goddess has her arm raised in welcome and bears a serene expression. A feeling of welcome and warmth radiates from the altar, and it is clear that the goddess is indeed present in this holy place.

Several priests in blue robes are there, adjusting things and talking to the few worshippers present at this time of day. Acolytes in pure white robes wander around carrying out minor chores.

It is not long before En is noticed, and the usual greeting ((so long absent from this place )) is given.

Greetings, Neighbor: the Blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you this day?

celtois
2009-01-04, 10:38 PM
Oh...hey sorry to bother you.. I'm just looking around.

Fenric
2009-01-04, 10:43 PM
the night-shift NPC chuckles as he looks around the nearly-empty room

I assure you, it is no trouble. Do not hesitate to call on us should have need of anything.

celtois
2009-01-04, 10:44 PM
Oh ..well thank you.. So Inari is the goddess of foxes?

Edit: I'm still here just only in this thread :smallwink:

Fenric
2009-01-04, 10:50 PM
The priest blinks, and hears a whispering from Myobi.

Ah, I see... Please allow me to explain...

And so, explain he does...

Inari is the goddess of rice: The plant itself. The cultivation of it. The products made from it.
She has countless billions of worshipers spread across the various planes of existence. There are three avatars solely devoted to rice: The Traveler, Myobi, and the Secretary of Rice.
Foxes are her children. Inari created foxes to watch over the grain and eat the birds and rodents that would destroy the sacred plant. Kitsune are her especial messengers: sacred foxes endowed with the ability to take on human or elvish form. Myobi is the avatar of all foxes.

Inari is an agricultural and racial goddess. She is concerned predominantly with nurturing and growth. She is good, but it is the quiet good of the countryside rather than the formalized good of high society. We don't go on crusades. We don't try to win converts or convince people to change their beliefs. We don't really feel a conflict with "evil" beings at all, unless they threaten us directly.
Finally, since rice is a critical component in many economies across the multiverse, she is revered as a goddess of wealth and prosperity as well.

The worship of Inari is mostly personal. The sanctuary is open for prayer and meditation as you feel led.
There is a small ceremony at dawn every day, where the main sacred fires are lit.
There is a celebration at the full of the moon each month, and a quiet time of prayer at the dark of the moon.
There are major ceremonies and holidays at the times of rice planting, transplanting, and harvest.
The fox festival is held at the time when the wild cousins give birth. We feed them a special treat made with rice wrapped in fried bean curds.
Otherwise, the temple does not hold regular formal services.

Inari is not overly fond of ceremony: for it is not ceremony that will lead you to enlightenment.

All things have a spirit, and the spirit is in all things. But this perception is dulled by the impurities of physical life, and you fail to reach your true potential due to this. It is therefore in your best interest that you seek for purity in your emotions and your mind; for through that purity, your spirit may shine through. Ceremony is of limited value because the quest for purity begins and ends with your inner self. This is why the main altar generally houses a mirror, not a statue, on the altar.

The state of purity is difficult to explain, because it does not mean the same thing to everyone. Only by meditating on your spiritual state can you learn what things hinder you personally. An earnest, honest, open heart is needed for this. The goddess, who can read your very being, can help with this: but it is a private matter between you and her. Therefore we provide a quiet setting: a peaceful sanctuary free from distracting clutter, a quiet garden where you can relax your mind, a serene place where it is easier to distance your true self from your physical self and focus on what needs to be.
One more thing: purity is not merely a matter of eliminating that which is "bad". It is also a task of strengthening which is "good". Your task may be to grow in an area of yourself that you have neglected, or imperfectly developed.
Regardless of the details, when you know what needs to be done we provide the support, council, and assistance to help you do it.

celtois
2009-01-04, 10:53 PM
Oh okay...that is far more complicated then I thought. Why can't the world ever just be simple..

(En hardly knows what deity is this is a lot for her to take in.)

Fenric
2009-01-04, 10:58 PM
The priest smiles gently

Simplicity and complexity are illusions of your own making. The easier way to phrase it is this:

Only you can decide your place in the world.

Fenric comes in from the street, having left the Dancing Fox

Oh, hello, En.

celtois
2009-01-04, 11:02 PM
Yeah...I guess your right...Hey Fenric.. She turns and waves to him.

Fenric
2009-01-04, 11:03 PM
Fenric chuckles

Have the priests theologized at you sufficiently?

The NPC gives Fenric a patient look, then heads back to his duties.

celtois
2009-01-04, 11:04 PM
They where just trying to explain to me what Inari is. It's rather complicated..

Fenric
2009-01-04, 11:26 PM
Fenric chuckles

They like to make it seem that way. She's the goddess of Rice and Foxes.

celtois
2009-01-04, 11:29 PM
That is way shorter then there explanation. En grins at Fenric. Makes more sense too. :smallbiggrin:

Fenric
2009-01-04, 11:33 PM
Fenric nods, with a grin

They can't help it - they're here all day, every day, and get used to the way they talk about things.

He smiles

So, would you like that tour, now?

(( But it must either be off-screen, or tomorrow, for I must be going. ))

celtois
2009-01-04, 11:35 PM
(Either way is fine)

Sure..you can give your tour. She smiles.

I should get going soon too.. so I guess I'll deadtime as well.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:55 AM
Fenric smiles

This is the main sanctuary, if you hadn't guessed. The mirror over by the main door used to be a permanent portal to a tavern called "Trog's".

On this side, the stairway leads down to our cold storage and... um... morturary... and an underground passageway to the hospital and traveller's quarters. The magic item vault and treasury are at that end. The other two rooms are storage rooms.

On the other side, the first room is the temple secretary's office, the middle room holds a portal to WinterHearth, and the third is another storage room.

The magic circle in the middle of the main room isn't for anything in particular, it's just there in case we need it.

On the altar, you see a statue of the goddess, which you were probably told already is not usual for one of her temples. The two white creatures are the celestial foxes, which is quite usual for her temples.

Behind the altar, you'll note a doorway - that's where we're going next.

Exachix
2009-01-05, 11:30 AM
((ooh! it's back.

Have things reset since we were last here or have things continued like a river meandering between two countries?))

Fenric
2009-01-05, 12:01 PM
(( I'm putting in the basic changes from Enup., which are mostly rolling back of silliness, anyway: Tree's gone, Myobi's not a PC anymore, Fen's not an avatar.
Also, I am not planning to regularly play more than one character anywhere, anymore -- I just don't have time. ))

celtois
2009-01-05, 06:53 PM
Neat..so what is behind the door we are going tonext?

Fenric
2009-01-05, 09:03 PM
Fenric smiles broadly

The gardens, of course.

He leads the way out the small door. (( If you've never visited a proper Japanese garden, you really should. ))

The carefully manicured profusion of plants looks wild and untamed, yet at the same time is somehow as carefully manicured as the most formal English hedge maze.

Stone lanterns cast a cool silvery glow over the lacy leaves of miniature maples. Bonsai pines adorn outcroppings of carefully selected rock, and screens of bamboo create many the secluded nook, while full grown trees give landmarks that make finding your way effortless. Stone borders and planting beds yield to carefully raked areas of fine gravel which smoothly give way to the shores of a large pond.

And in the center of the pond, an island hosts a single, stately cherry tree. Bare now in the winter cold, it still is clothed in the fine frost made by the mist that rises from the pond. An artificial stream winds its way from the northwest and southeast ends of the ponds, giving opportunity for intricate wooden bridges. Within the water, the graceful koi swim lazily about, occasionally mouthing at the surface at some unseen bit of food.

On the far side of the gardens, the inviting lights of the hospital and travellers' quarters gleam in the darkness, and the large lanterns of the main bridge lead south to the main living areas.

If there were a place in the material world where peace and tranquility were manifest, surely this is it.

Fenric smiles proudly

What do you think?

celtois
2009-01-05, 09:10 PM
I love it.... It's gorgeous in here. En looks very happy and at peace.

(En lived in the wild for most of her life.. Even before the incident she was being trained in the forest. That and she is half fey.)

Fenric
2009-01-05, 09:32 PM
Fenric smiles

I'm glad you like it.

celtois
2009-01-05, 09:35 PM
It's wonderful...all these plants. It feels like home. She smiles brightly at Fenric.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 09:45 PM
(( By the way - is there a list anywhere of these "power levels"? Looking over your character list, it doesn't seem to map directly to ECL... ))

Fenric smiles again, and walks slowly toward the bridge, giving En time to look around.

celtois
2009-01-05, 09:52 PM
Ask and thou shall recive.
Power levels (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89754)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89754

En looks around in awe.. It's amazing. Do you get to spend much time here?

Fenric
2009-01-05, 09:59 PM
(( Oh, it's THAT list :smallbiggrin: I know that list very well. It's pleasant to see it lives on, here, too. ))

Fenric nods

Quite a few hours every day. I usually study my spells here.

celtois
2009-01-05, 10:02 PM
You must love it here...
En changes into a white fox...just to see how Fenric will react.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:10 PM
Fenric is suitably surprised, blinking and tilting his head

Oh. How? Um...

celtois
2009-01-05, 10:11 PM
En turns back to herself...
How? I think it has something to do with me being half fey. I just did it for the look on your face though. She grins at him.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:27 PM
Fenric chuckles

You certainly did catch me off guard with that.

celtois
2009-01-05, 10:31 PM
Yeah..The look on your face was well worth it. So anywhere else you'd like to show me?

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:37 PM
Fenric shakes his head

The other part of the complex is the private living area for the priests, acolytes, and their families. We don't give general tours there.

You can visit the hospital, though there's not much to see there. We could see if Atreyu is out in his alfalfa patch

celtois
2009-01-05, 10:38 PM
Okay..nah I'll pass on the hospital ..my bother is a doctor after all. Atreyu? Who is that. Sure we can go meet him.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:44 PM
Fenric nods and leads the way slightly south and back west to the narrow stretch of lawn between the sanctuary and the south wall. Here, the grass is lush, thick alfalfa.

Somewhat past time for cutting. Where's that creature got to?

celtois
2009-01-05, 10:47 PM
Creature? Atreyu is animal.. Cool..

Where is Atreyu I miss him :smallfrown:

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:49 PM
Ask, and ye shall receive.

*SUMMON LLAMA IV*

Fenric looks around

ATREYU! WHERE ARE YOU?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-05, 10:51 PM
*From around the alfalfa a rustling can be heard. Then the sounds of something trying to sneak through the tall plant, then a twig snap, followed by a whispered "oh shock, didn't see that there." Finally, a head pops up and looks around.* Oh Hiya!

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/wolfshonor/llamas/th_inari.gif

celtois
2009-01-05, 10:52 PM
(Your going to bring him back :smallbiggrin: .)

En waits...looking around wondering where Atreyu is.

Oh hey.. En smiles at Atreyu. Your a Llama

Fenric
2009-01-05, 10:57 PM
Fenric grins

My tail remains secure for another night.

He nods politely to his old friend.

Hi, Atreyu. Alfalfa's gone a bit long, don't you think?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-05, 10:58 PM
*He steps out of the patch, grinning and extends a hoof in the traditional humanoid gesture known as "shaking"* Yup. I'm Atreyu, priest of Inari and reserve steed for the courts of Camelot. Its nice to meet you.

*He turns to Fenric and looks a little embarrassed* Yeah. Its a long story, but well, I'm kinda a ...oh what did they call it...a nexus for a few different dimensions, so I've been randomly visiting undersea bases and hidden volcano lairs and stuff. Its been fun, but makes it hard to do chores and stuff.

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:00 PM
En looks at the hoof strangely. Nice to meet you Atreyu I'm Endeara...people just call me En though. What am I supposed to do with that?
En turns into an adorable female Llama and extends her hoof likewise.
Is that it?

(She never learned about shaking hands)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-05, 11:03 PM
*He looks over, a little confused. Then tries to tap her hoof with his* Tapping hooves is kind of a traditional greeting where I come from. The humanoids don't have hooves, so they grab each others hands and shake them. Its an odd custom.

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:04 PM
It does seem odd.. so how are you Atreyu?

Yes En is still a Llama :smallbiggrin:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-05, 11:10 PM
*He thinks about it for a second* I'm doing pretty good. How about you and are you a were llama??

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:11 PM
That's good. I'm doing alright now..... Nah not a werellama. I'm just half-fey. I can alter my shape.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 11:14 PM
Fenric chuckles

Very cute.

And don't worry about it, Atreyu. I'm sure some acolyte or other deserves to mow hay tomorrow.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-05, 11:17 PM
Wow. So you can turn into anything? How do you decide on which shape to be your...main one?

*He wags a bit, but starts to yawn, giving away his lack of sleep lately.*

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:19 PM
Well..I'm half fey half human... So I tend to wander around as a human.. Changing when it suites me.

(Feel free to go if you tired.. It's nice to see your still around Atreyu :smallbiggrin:)

Not anything....just somethings.. mostly just animals..

Fenric
2009-01-05, 11:22 PM
Fenric listens curiously

It is a nice ability to have

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:26 PM
I guess....I've had it most of my life.. I can also speak to any animal....

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-05, 11:27 PM
(kk. Good to see you again, Celtois. I'd better put away laundry and get to bed. )

*The llama nods at Fenric.* That is neat. I wonder...."yawn" what I...would be? Then he curls up in the alfalfa and lays down. I should...yawn...get some sleep. Good night and nice meeting you, En.

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:30 PM
(Okay see you around.)

Night Atreyu..Nice meeting you too.

Fenric
2009-01-05, 11:31 PM
Fenric smiles

Always nice to visit with Atreyu.

then he stifles back a yawn himself.

It is getting late, isn't it?

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:32 PM
Yeah it is...(Late enough I should head out myself...Soon)

Fenric
2009-01-05, 11:46 PM
Fenric looks back to the garden

Do you need me to show you the way back out?

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:50 PM
Nah...as long as Atreyu won't mind, I may sleep here..

(She is still a Llama after all.)

Fenric
2009-01-05, 11:51 PM
Fenric nods and smiles

I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Sleep well!

he turns and heads back toward the garden and the bridge to the priests' quarters.

celtois
2009-01-05, 11:54 PM
Night.. En curls up near Atreyu..and drifts off to sleep unless stopped.

Exachix
2009-01-06, 06:53 AM
[Garden]

Those particularly awake at this moment may note a sneaky sneakyness going on.

That is, a sneaky fox sneaking sneakily about the garden.

Exachix, currently as a little red fox, ties bells to the end of Atreyu's tail and to the Llama next to Atreyu. Following this he puts little red cone party hats upon their heads, before sneakily fleeing.

[Sanctuary]

Within the Sanctuary, observant people, and people fammilliar with the scent of the Mystic Theurge, will note a fox in the roofing, by the window above the entrance, allowing the fox easy view of the altar.

Fenric
2009-01-06, 09:50 AM
Fenric comes out into the sanctuary and looks around, before taking his usual seat by the stairs.

Supagoof
2009-01-06, 02:44 PM
An old man walks in through the front gates of the temple. He wanders up the path at a slow pace, taking in the serenity and beauty of the trail, before heading into the temple. He looks around slowly, a smile on his face, glancing at everything. His eyes settle on a seat. He walks over and rests himself upon it. Closing his eyes, he breathes in deeply, and rests.

celtois
2009-01-06, 07:11 PM
En wakes up and looks curiously at the bells on her tail. What..are these..

Exachix
2009-01-06, 07:24 PM
They are bells. On your tail.

Have a nasty habit of going onto the tail of whatever you shapeshift to next.

Atreyu may turn into a fox or some other tailed animal you see. Can't be too careful.

celtois
2009-01-06, 07:32 PM
Why are they on my tail? En looks curious.

(Deadtime)

Exachix
2009-01-06, 08:15 PM
They don't know.

They are just.. after all.. bells.

=).

celtois
2009-01-06, 08:17 PM
En tries to shake them off of her tail.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-06, 11:41 PM
*The ringing of the bells wakes up the llama who glances around at the temple. As he gets up to do his duties his own tail rings. With a smirk he looks around for a culprit.*

celtois
2009-01-06, 11:45 PM
Why are there bells on my tail?...That and why is there a red hat on my head?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-06, 11:49 PM
*Atreyu snickers a little bit.* Probably one of the local foxes. They are pranksters.

celtois
2009-01-06, 11:52 PM
Well....I suppose I could get them off by changing...But this form is rather comfortable.. En shakes her head to try and get the hat off.
EDIT

Silly foxes. En grins...

Then (deadtimes) :smallsigh:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-06, 11:56 PM
Its a nice form, you know, unless you get an itch or something on your back, then you're in some trouble.

(I have no idea of Exy's hat will come off or not. He's got some good magic, after all.)

celtois
2009-01-06, 11:56 PM
Yeah..I imagine.... I guess you have to get another Llama to help with that.

(Deadtime..)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-06, 11:57 PM
(Goodnight)

*Atreyu nods, then sees the deadtime approaching and dashes off before it can get him, too.*

Exachix
2009-01-07, 07:03 AM
Uh...

They're just paper party hats that are cones. They'll come off easily.

The bells are tied on, but could be shaken off quickly =).

celtois
2009-01-07, 08:20 PM
En shakes her hat off then....

Fenric
2009-01-10, 11:33 AM
Fenric looks up from his seat and looks around

Exachix
2009-01-10, 12:21 PM
Fox-Exy still is up by a window.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 12:27 PM
Goliath is at the door, the chainmail of his armour is ripped and the plate is scratched. His helmet has a large dent on the top and it looks like Goliath has a broken leg. He's using his broadsword as a crutch.
A little help here?
He ambles his way into the temple.
There are many small cuts across the parts of his body that his armour no longer covers, he's battered and bruised in other words.

Fenric
2009-01-10, 12:58 PM
Fenric stands up quickly and heads over.

That looks unpleasant... hold on.

After a quick look, he first tries casting a Cure Moderate Woulds

Exachix
2009-01-10, 12:58 PM
The fox up by the window looks down.

"Oh dear."

A priest runs over, along with a healer.

"Can I ask you to be still sir?"

"Sir! Hold still!"

Fenric
2009-01-10, 01:01 PM
(( Simu-healing! ))

Fenric nods to the priest, and looks up to where Exy's voice came from.

Exachix
2009-01-10, 01:24 PM
((Ahh! I've been Simu-healed! I feel refreshed by an invisible force ;P))

The Healer and Priest shrug.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 01:38 PM
I can, but I'll need ta sit down first.
Goliath tries to amble his way over to a chair of some sort, still as stubborn as ever.
The Cure Moderate wounds spell fixes most of his bruising and his leg gets a bit better, but he's still seen better days.
Thankyou

Fenric
2009-01-10, 01:42 PM
Fenric looks back at the warrior

What happened?

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 01:46 PM
Well, a month ago I caught my wife with her Goblin anger management councillor. I took his head from his shoulders, unfortunately he had friends who heard about, friends who were Werewolves. So last night I was out in the woods, then I get three werewolves attack me out of nowhere. Now I got lucky considering that this is a silvered broadsword,
Goliath points to the knotched sword he's leaning on.
but I'm also a werebear, I tried to take 'em one by one but they mobbed me, I killed 'em all but not before they got a few good shots in.

Fenric
2009-01-10, 02:00 PM
Fenric considers the story, and hmms

Well, if you're already a werebear, you won't need to worry about them having infected you, at least.

He refrains from any comment on the circumstances themselves.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 02:04 PM
I never have been worried about being infected, I'm not even infected to begin with. I was born a werebear and I've loved every minute of it.
I'm getting to old to be fighting young werewolves anymore. I need ta settle down wit a good lass, maybe have a child, I'd teach it about right and wrong, raise it to be a good person, do all the things a dad should.
There's a glimmer in Goliath's eye, it speaks of hope, that there might be someone out there for him, hope for a child of his own.

Fenric
2009-01-10, 02:07 PM
Fenric smiles

That is a noble goal, friend.

Then he chuckles

But where are my matter? I am Fenric, and welcome to Inar's temple.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 02:10 PM
Nice ta meet you lad, my name is Goliath Stonefist.
I'm the local blacksmith, I also teach physical and tactical combat at the local university.

Fenric
2009-01-10, 02:17 PM
Fenric nods

A pleasure meeting you, as well

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 02:23 PM
Goliath pulls out a small flask and takes a large swig of its contents.
His wounds heal quite miraculously, even his armour seems to have been fixed slightly, the chainmail is no longer torn and the dent in his helmet has almost completely dissappeared.
Good ole Dwarven Brandy has been known to be one of the few normal drinks capable of storing healing spells. That one was a Cure Moderate Wounds.
Goliath pulls himself up, almost as good as new, with a slight spring in his step.
I must be gone, I gotta get my armour fixed in case any more werewolves think they can take me. Thankyou for the help.
Goliath leaves the temple whistling a jolly tune.

Fenric
2009-01-10, 04:06 PM
Fenric waves farewell, then returns to his seat.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-10, 10:34 PM
*Atreyu comes running through the area hollering "Woooo! Full moon.

*He generally hangs out and looks happy and discusses epic tales he probably wasn't actually a part of, but they are exciting anyway.*

(Sorry, can't stay. Happy Full Moon everyone.)

celtois
2009-01-10, 10:35 PM
En...joins in whatever festivities take place..

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-13, 06:13 PM
Usually, its an event of food and partying and occassionally some poetry.

*The llama relaxes around the koi pond, feeding the fish and just kinda meandering.*

celtois
2009-01-13, 06:25 PM
En will turn back into a human....not that being a Llama isn't fun or anything but...meh

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-13, 06:40 PM
Tired of eating grass all day? he grins and wags as he sees her back in her normal form.

celtois
2009-01-13, 06:47 PM
Nah...It's just a bit hard to talk to anybody but you when you can only speak Llama... (She can speak anything as a human though)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-13, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah. I'm glad my awakening came with a free "English" language.

celtois
2009-01-13, 06:54 PM
I imagine..I can speak Llama as a human.. I can't speak english as a Llama though..it's strange.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-13, 07:01 PM
*He ponders this for a minute.* That's...that's really really odd. Is it magical?? Or is it a kinda vocal thing?

celtois
2009-01-13, 07:06 PM
I don't really know. It wouldn't be much of a mystery if I did hmm? :smallwink: En smiles and winks at Atreyu .

EDIT: (DEADTIME)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-13, 07:18 PM
*The llama laughs* Everyone loves a good mystery. Its been awhile since I've been around Town. Where is the best bar these days?

celtois
2009-01-13, 07:50 PM
(I guess I'm back...if only for a tiny bit)

Most likely..The Dancing Fox inn. Though Bawhcs' Drug Store doesn't seem to be half bad either.

(Deadtime)

celtois
2009-01-19, 04:41 PM
En will start to walk out of the temple unless stopped.. :smalltongue:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-19, 10:11 PM
(Nah, she's free to go. I think Fenric's family came down with something, which is why he hasn't been here lately.)

*The llama yawns and trots into Town to see what's going on*

celtois
2009-01-19, 10:15 PM
Not much right now...But I'm making a cafe :smallbiggrin:

Supagoof
2009-01-20, 04:11 PM
The old man, who had been sleeping in the temple for some time (deadtime for like, 2 weeks!) awakens with a snort. Glancing around, he decides it's probably best to leave and seek company elsewhere.

Fenric
2009-06-24, 08:36 PM
Fenric comes back into the temple from the tavern, and blinks.

somehow... this wasn't quite the same place he was expecting to find.

Fenric
2010-01-19, 11:42 PM
Acolytes in white robes bustle about, cleaning off dust and removing cobwebs.

McBish
2010-01-20, 12:01 AM
((Yay it's Fenric. And just when I was considering bringing back an older character.))

A very old mutt walks in through the doors looking around, one eye has a pale film over it suggesting blindness. He walks stiffly and slowly but a grin is on his doggy face as he remembers the first time he raced in here playing tag, and how he was chased about by the foxes.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:03 AM
An older acolyte, grey about the muzzle herself, blinks in surprise

Al?!?!

McBish
2010-01-20, 12:08 AM
Indeed it is Al, and he glances over at the acolyte and sniffs his sense of smell is better then his sight now a days. Yep, it's me. Surprised to find this place still standing.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:10 AM
The acolyte smiles sadly

The goddess will not allow a temple to fall so long as even a single worshipper still comes to her. But it is long since this place has had the attention it deserves.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 12:12 AM
((This day just keeps getting better.))

Now, see, sometimes people wonder how it is that PCs somehow notice every time a locations suddenly begins to move and live and breath once more. And often that's a pretty decent question. But when, suddenly and like the sun burning through the morning fog, a temple ascends from the seas of forgotten locations... Well...

That's a bit harder to miss.

A fox comes bounding into the temple.

A rather oddly colored fox. Snow white in color and decked with blues and oranges, a splash of prismatic color at the end of his reminiscently paint-brush like tail.

He goes romping through the snow, making a straight shot for the koi pond to see if the fish are still there.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:16 AM
Indeed: the pond still teems with the fish, including the oddest silvery-blue specimen you might ever hope to see.

McBish
2010-01-20, 12:25 AM
That's good, this place was always one of the better place around Town. Nice and peaceful, guess that's why I came back.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 12:26 AM
Score!

The fox comes skidding to a halt at the edge of the pond, grinning mischeviously at all the fish that are no doubt mouthing at the water's surface by now.

Oh those silly koi, always ready for hand outs.

"Wonder how many of these are fish and how many are people who peeved Myobi..." he wonders aloud.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:27 AM
The acolyte smiles

We are always glad to have visitors. Is there anything in particular we can do for you today?

Oh... quite a few, no doubt!

McBish
2010-01-20, 12:31 AM
Al sits down and then lays down. Nah not really, just need a place to rest my tired bones for a bit. This is the last time I do any serious travel in winter.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:33 AM
The acolyte nods

Winter is always a most difficult time to travel.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 12:33 AM
Curiosity regarding the health and well being of speckled carp satisfied for the time being the oddly colored fox goes bouncing off to the sanctuary to see if it appears as he recalls.

Of course, as he recalls included Fenric sitting in a chair and his wife nearby knitting. Given the state of the temple he really isn't expecting them to be present.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:36 AM
The fox is not disappointed. There are the usual two bored looking temple guards who always seem to disappear just when they might be needed; two white-robed acolytes, and two night-shift priests with robes them seem to have been repaired from long-ago llama-bites.

McBish
2010-01-20, 12:38 AM
Al nods. Indeed, actually if you wouldn't mind I would like some scratching, just on top of my head. That would be great.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 12:47 AM
Too bad there aren't any llamas here to supply additional damage at the moment.

The oddly colored fox slips into the sanctuary, taking in all the sights. Which mostly seem to consist of sleepy fox-people. But given the time of the night that probably isn't too much of a surprise.

He quirks his head off to the side at one of the acolytes, an ear flopping over slightly in the process. "Hey! Since when did you guys get back? This place has been as empty as Trog's on chili night for months."

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:52 AM
The acolyte chuckles and scratches Al's head with her pointy fox claws

No trouble at all

One of the night-shift priests turns and bows in greeting

A certain cameloid friend of our leader mentioned that the facility was in need of attention. We were sent to see to the temple in preparation for his inspection.

McBish
2010-01-20, 12:53 AM
Al's tail wags at this obviously enjoying the attention.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 12:58 AM
"Woah..." the fox sounds positively flabbergasted by this statement. "Atreyu set all of this up? What about Fenric? Is he going to be coming back? What about his swarms of grand children? Where did they all go off to?"

That would be a pretty exhaustive list.

"Oooh! And that minister of rice guy with the cool hat! What about him? And the dwarven smith god with the awesome accent?"

He's getting excited!

Fenric
2010-01-20, 01:06 AM
Without warning, a strange speckly black pudding engulphs the foxes.

It burbles menacingly at the fox and at Al

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 01:14 AM
"Aaahh! Dead time pudding!" Avatar hollers before fleeing from the sanctuary at full speed, only to run headlong into a tree and knock himself silly.

McBish
2010-01-20, 01:17 AM
Al looks up a the pudding and grins. I ain't scared of you. And I'm too old to run. He stays where he is.

Exachix
2010-01-20, 11:21 AM
A cloaked figure approaches... head concealed within a hood, and body concealed within a robe, with only boots visible.

He reaches the gate, and from in the cloak a hand appears, seemingly human it opens it, and politely closes it whence he has entered. Turning, the elf walks calmly, up onto the temple sanctuary, and a sigh is evident as he looks upon this sacred place.

Turning on a heel he places a coin in the Fox-Cola machine, and with a clunk his drink is dispensed. Joining with his sound that resonates within the hall is the sound of rattling as his change returns. He takes a drink from this elixir and sighs once more.

Walking slowly he goes to the garden, before sitting and watching the lake.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 11:55 AM
It's hunger satisfied for the time being, the dread pudding slimes away. The night-shift NPC priests scurry away and the day-shift NPC priests enter.

Exachix
2010-01-20, 12:21 PM
[Gardens]

The elf still sits, watching the pond and it's koi.

((and hello again Fenric =D))

Fenric
2010-01-20, 12:25 PM
(( Hello, again. :) ))

The koi swim lazily around, as they always do; occasionally breaking the surface to eat a bug.

Exachix
2010-01-20, 12:43 PM
The elf appears to have fallen asleep, quietly, sitting down in the serenity of the place.

Fenric
2010-01-20, 09:11 PM
Shift change... the day-shift folks go off duty, and the night-shift folks come to take their place.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 10:27 PM
The oddly colored fox from the day before is, oddly enough, still out like a light. One would expect that he would have managed to gather his senses by now.

But apparently not.

McBish
2010-01-20, 10:34 PM
Al slowly wakes up in the spot he feel asleep last night. He slowly stands up and looks around.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 11:03 PM
Aside from the usual acolytes there's what may very well be a kitsune knocked out cold in the snow. Though... he really doesn't smell like a kitsune. Smells like a whole grab-bag of things, in fact.

McBish
2010-01-20, 11:10 PM
Al slowly makes his way over to the odd smelling fox. He goes over and pokes her with his nose figuring it isn't good for it to be laying in the snow.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 11:33 PM
The fox in question mutters something about shoggoths and banana pudding upon being poked. The twitches a bit. Seems he's coming too.

McBish
2010-01-20, 11:34 PM
Al goes and lays down in front of the fox, so that the first thing he sees when his eyes open is Al's face.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 11:49 PM
Eyes open.

Slowly...

Only to snap wide.

"Al...?" then the fox hops to his feet, grinning wide. "Al! I haven't seen you in ages!"

McBish
2010-01-20, 11:52 PM
Yep that's me. Sorry but I am having a hard time placing your scent. It might be noted that Al has one eye with a white film over it, where he is probably blind in it.

Rebonack
2010-01-20, 11:57 PM
"It's me, Avatar! I used to work on the force and I think I helped you with your arthritis once..." yay for oldness! "I can imagine why my scent is off. Given that it sorta changes with my shape."

Silly shape shifters.

McBish
2010-01-20, 11:59 PM
OH yeah. Now I remember, good to see you again Avatar. What have you been up to lately? Though he mentally berates himself for forgetting, he should have remembered that.

Rebonack
2010-01-21, 12:13 AM
"Heh, don't worry about it. I've changed a lot since then. In more ways than one," the oddly colored fox professes. "Though you look like you've changed a bit, too. Though more in the wearing down sorta way..."

Poor old dog...

McBish
2010-01-21, 12:15 AM
I may have the intelligence greater then most dogs for now, but I still have their life span. And I'm starting to push the upper limit of it. But I guess I've lived a fairly full life.

Rebonack
2010-01-21, 12:41 AM
"Yeah..." Avatar sighs, looking a little downcast at that particular revelation. He considers Al a friend after all. And knowing that a friend could die any day of something as terrible as...

Old age!

Is just a real travesty.

"Have you heard that Draken's up to no good again? Apparently he's got all these weird bugs in tunnels all over the City! It's probably only a matter of time before they start popping up to the surface and causing all sorts of trouble."

A pause.

Then a chuckle.

"I guess it's just like it's always been around here, huh?"

McBish
2010-01-21, 12:43 AM
OH yeah, since the first day I washed up on shore here. Draken was never a big thing back when I was around, but yeah there was always someone around causing trouble. No one can stop it, just try and hold it back for a bit longer. He says chuckling a bit himself.

Rebonack
2010-01-21, 12:57 AM
The oddly colored fox nods, grinning a rather mischievous grin. "Yeah, I know what you mean all to well. As soon as one threat is put down another will step in to fill its shoes. It's just the nature of the place after all."

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Keeps life interesting.

"Some people will lose their lives... But I guess everyone knows the risk when they stay here to make their living. Sure the Nexus is a place where one can strike it rich, but it's a place where you can get your brain eaten by zombies, too."

Those filthy zombies!

"We'll hold the line. Just like we always have."

The fox quirks his head off to the side a bit. "Do you think you have one battle left in you?"

McBish
2010-01-21, 01:00 AM
Not entirely sure if I do, but if a fight comes to me I'll do my best. I still have all my teeth, and they can still bite. He seems unsure of that but he doesn't plan on running anywhere.

Rebonack
2010-01-21, 01:21 AM
"Thanks old friend. We'll probably be needing all the help that we can get," the fox replies with a nod. "If Draken's flunky is to be believed he's got five giant bugs for everyone in the city. But from what I've seen most of the bugs aren't that much of a threat. Numbers is their greatest asset."

Bring on the spell slingers!

Or otherwise just highly explosive weapons.

"I'm sure you'll be able to tell if they start popping up everywhere since... well... they'll be everywhere."

Kind of hard to miss.

"I should probably get moving. I've got some people around the City to warn about the coming storm. Later!"

And with that he bounds out of the temple.

McBish
2010-01-21, 01:24 AM
Al nods and lays down trying to think about this news he just got.

Fenric
2010-01-21, 08:47 PM
At long last, Fenric himself walks back into the temple.

Well... I'm home.

McBish
2010-01-21, 08:49 PM
Just in time for another attack on the city, at least according to Avatar. Says Al as he gets up from where he was lying down.

Fenric
2010-01-21, 08:51 PM
Fenric chuckles

Ah, just like old times.

He looks at Al in puzzlement, then sniffs a few times.

Al?

McBish
2010-01-21, 08:53 PM
Al pads his way over to Fenric. Yep it's me. How have you been doing old friend?

Fenric
2010-01-21, 08:55 PM
Fenric smiles and offers Al a scritch

Can't complain. How about you?

McBish
2010-01-21, 08:59 PM
Al leans into the scritch a bit. Ah, old age has been catching up with me, but other then that not a whole lot to complain about.

Fenric
2010-01-21, 09:12 PM
Fenric nods

Good to hear.

So what imminent doom has Avatar warned of, this time?

McBish
2010-01-21, 09:13 PM
Apparently an army of bugs underground lead by Draken, or something like that. Al shrugs and lays down on the ground.

Fenric
2010-01-21, 09:28 PM
Fenric shakes his head

If it's not one thing, it's another.

McBish
2010-01-21, 09:29 PM
Al nods his head. Yep, I've stopped worrying too much about this place awhile ago. It always seems to turn out OK.

Fenric
2010-01-21, 09:38 PM
Fenric nods again

That is certainly true. So, my old friend, have you retired?

Fenric
2010-01-21, 10:45 PM
Fenric contemplates Trog's tavern, wondering if Zee has any cleanup to do...

(click for bigger)

http://artzone.daz3d.com/azfiles/gallery/ip/xa/l9dsir3c55tl6jaxrw5zuw0pvuk7e3-full.jpg (http://artzone.daz3d.com/azfiles/gallery/ce/gk/h44j99ddxomunv5v45eqfsjj0frsau-full.jpg)

McBish
2010-01-22, 04:19 PM
Pretty much. I don't have a job, I figure I'm a bit old to adventure, and I still have a nice big open tab at Trog's.

Fenric
2010-01-22, 09:59 PM
Fenric smiles

Sounds reasonable, certainly.

McBish
2010-01-23, 01:52 AM
How about you, are you still active adventuring around, running this temple and in general being involved in activity around Town?

Fenric
2010-01-24, 09:18 PM
Fenric shakes his head

Quite limited, really. Though to be fair, I've been away for some time and only just returned.

McBish
2010-01-24, 09:20 PM
Ah seems I picked a good time to come back then. Its been nice to talk to you again.

Fenric
2010-01-24, 09:29 PM
Fenric nods

It has been good to see you again as well, my old friend.

McBish
2010-01-24, 09:31 PM
I was thinking about going to take a walk around town maybe stop by Trog's for a drink later. An old walk down memory lane. Al says standing up.

Fenric
2010-01-24, 09:41 PM
Fenric looks thoughtful

That is a good idea.

McBish
2010-01-24, 09:43 PM
Al nods. I'll be seeing you around, take care of yourself. The old mutt says heading out the doors.

Fenric
2010-02-02, 10:18 PM
The night-shift NPC priests potter around, wondering how late Fenric intends to stay out tonight.

Hawkeye
2010-02-08, 10:25 PM
A very old face to the town walks into the temple. He's dressed quite formally, he thinks it's best to show respect for the gods, even though not many showed him any.

Fenric
2010-02-10, 08:55 PM
One of the night shift NPC priests comes up to the gentleman

Good evening. Is there anything we can help with?

Hawkeye
2010-02-10, 09:18 PM
The person smiles and bows his head for a second "Good evening. Excuse me, it's been a while since I last visited." he smiles and leans forwards slightly "The names Herreldr. Merant Herreldr. I think the temple knows me." his intention is to see what sort of reaction the poor priest has to his introduction.

Fenric
2010-02-11, 08:41 PM
The priest's eyes widen most satisfactorily

L... Lord Merant?

His ears fold involuntarily, but flick back up

Is there anyone in particular you wish to speak with?

Hawkeye
2010-02-12, 08:48 PM
He smiles "I was hoping that the Lady is available."

Fenric
2010-02-13, 11:08 PM
The priest looks troubled

I will try...

He bows his head in prayer, sending the news of this particular visitor. He keeps unvoiced his hope that the goddess will return her attention to this place she has so long left to its own devices.

Hawkeye
2010-02-13, 11:15 PM
Merant leans on a wall and waits. He slowly looks around the sanctuary, it seemed so quiet in here.

Fenric
2010-02-14, 07:43 PM
It is quiet... very quiet.

But the long-absent feeling of Inari's presence abruptly fills the sanctuary - causing priest and acolyte alike to close their eyes in rapture. A diffuse blue glow that hasn't been seen in over two years fills the sanctuary, and a celestial fragrance fills the room.

Greetings, Merant. What brings you to my temple here?

As yet, she has not appeared directly as she used to.

Hawkeye
2010-02-14, 08:13 PM
Merant stands up straight, moves more into the centre of the sanctuary and bows his head, properly this time "Greetings Lady. I was hoping for a friendly chat, though I do have some business to discuss if you are not in the mood for that."

Fenric
2010-02-14, 08:19 PM
There is a shift in the glow, and a distinctly Japanese woman is standing there, with long, straight black hair, porcelain skin, ink black eyes, and formal blue robes.

I always have time to chat with a fellow deity, Merant. Even in such an out of the way place as this, where the focus of purpose has long since departed.

Hawkeye
2010-02-14, 08:30 PM
Merant looks just the same as he always did, but more regally dressed now. Seems deityhood has had a further effect on him "Sadly true m'Lady, it hasn't been the same for a good while. But I think it's worth making an appearance every now and then, for nostalgia's sake at least."

Fenric
2010-02-14, 08:45 PM
Inari inclines her head in agreement

True: To be absent for too long encourages apostasy, which seems to be rampant in this place, whether good or evil.

Hawkeye
2010-02-14, 08:55 PM
"I wish I knew where the original soul of this town went, that was so electrifying it was frightening." he shrugs "But things change. It's one of the inevitable things of life."

Fenric
2010-02-14, 09:18 PM
It was the greates of us all, Merant: Time

She sighs

The question now is, what shall we do about it? Other places demand my attention, but I cannot neglect this place as much... well, as much as I might wish to.

She frowns

But at one time, my temple was the second-most populated location in this Town.

Hawkeye
2010-02-14, 09:38 PM
He offers an arm to Inari (on the slight hoping that she'd take it) "For the soul of the town, that's dead and buried. We can dream back to the golden times, but it can't be recreated as it was. Things have just moved on too much over the years. For this temple;" he sweeps an arm across "I know what you mean about it's popularity, but how it is of the moment can be changed. Trog's Tavern had died until recently, but it's now back alive and kicking. If you can get a few people posting regularly in here with a clear purpose the overall traffic may pick up readily."

Fenric
2010-02-14, 10:17 PM
Inari takes Merant's arm: always more chaotic than good

Indeed, a few more than of late would be of vast utility. Retroactive Continutiy is wreaking havoc on my followers, and much that was past is lost.

She looks at Merant appraisingly

One of your own, and one of your close acquaintance, once helped make this place what it was. As for Exachix and PlanarTraveller, their support is perhaps a lost cause... but you...

Hawkeye
2010-02-14, 10:52 PM
Merant gives a wry smile "The Shipmaster Clan, yes back in their day they had some fight in them. Hawkeye managed to keep me contained for a long time, when he stood his ground he was very hard to knock off it." he walks towards the gardens "But towards the end they lost their way, lost their purpose, separated and went on their own paths" another wry smile "But from when I last heard Alex is doing good."

He comes onto the latter part of what Inari said, or what he believed she was meaning. He puts his other hand over her arm "I may have been once a vast opposer of this temple, mainly due to the help you gave to Hawkeye, but I don't want to see this place fall once again. I have a long history here, and you've shown nothing but respect for me here since I became a deity and you're one of the few that has done. And I won't forget that. I'm not the impetuous demon that I was before."

Fenric
2010-02-14, 11:15 PM
Inari looks at Merant seriously

I have always taken my own counsel as to whom was worth helping. You know full well that I do not care for the philosophical "good" and "evil" - I care for the good of my children and the cultivation and use of the rice plant. I chose my course willingly and knowingly, and I do not repent of it.

We are not so different, you and I... And I knew that as your perspective expanded, so your attitude would be less divergant from my own.

Her austere face grows severe

After all, my own children are called demons and worse by those who are ignorant.

The Bushranger
2010-02-14, 11:21 PM
Meanwhile, a young woman enters the temple grounds, heading for the pond, and sitting on the grass, watching the koi.

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0901/d16/1026/777c745.png (She doesn't have the gun at the moment)

Hawkeye
2010-02-14, 11:40 PM
"I am pleased that you said that we are not so different, but I think that it's not quite the case. I do care for my children, though most don't return it, but I think that's where the similarity ends, in actions at least. Our views may be slightly akin, but how I act is far different." he looks the other way "When I first started to take my elevated position seriously I strode into this very temple in a very arrogant manner and announced that I would restore the powers that I had taken. But to do that I had to destroy so I could rebuild it as it should have been." he looks back again "My children will be always considered to be demons, because that's part of what they are. For you, it could be different. One small step at a time."

Fenric
2010-02-15, 12:09 AM
slightly?

Inari smiles sardonically

You don't control the main food supply of a substantial majority of their population. Anything is forgiven for one who controls the keys to the pantry.

The nogitsune are my children, too.

Hawkeye
2010-02-15, 12:22 AM
"My warriors are awfully good at taking land, but they'll never be decent farmers. And the basic infrastructure of the land has been destroyed nearly beyond repair." he looks at her "I was hoping that you could help me with that."

Fenric
2010-02-15, 09:15 PM
At this, Inari smiles and nods

I can indeed, Merant. And never say "never" - you would be surprised how many warriors can be turned to farming and fishing with only a gentle nudging and just a bit of emotional surgery.

Exachix
2010-02-16, 07:11 AM
((Hey! I'm still here occasionally.. sort of... maybe...))

The elf by the koi pond blinks himself awake.

Hawkeye
2010-02-16, 02:46 PM
Merant chuckles "You haven't seen my warriors. If you give them a pitchfork they'd only go and stab someone with it. If you give them a fishing rod they'll find a way to garotte someone with the line."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 08:15 PM
The young woman is still sitting by the koi pond, watching the fish while sitting in the lotus position.

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 08:27 PM
In some corner of the temple, a figure stirs...

It coughs and pulls itself upright and looks around with glowing green eyes. The figure has been asleep for...wow...how long? Two years, maybe? A very long time anyway. It stretches its wings and groans.

Such a long time ago now, when the rogue creation had sought sanctuary in the temple to hide from its creator. But its creator has long forgotten about it by now, Professor Affidavit solved the problem of creations going rogue quite some time ago, and he never actually needed this one to figure out the problem.

"Ohh, my head..." The rogue creation picks up the spear lying next to it. Oh yes, standard issue for winged creations. Well, it certainly doesn't need that any more. It snaps the spear in two and throws it to one side. Now what to do? It looks around again, remembering the temple. It still looks similar enough, and there's the koi pond! It remembers that...the fish were such fun to watch, so peaceful. It walks over and sits down on the opposite side to the woman, staring at the fish as they swim around. "Yes, I remember you, I spent days watching you" it mutters quietly as it sits there and watches.

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 08:37 PM
The woman (http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0901/d16/1026/777c745.png) starts at hearing the voice, looking up in surprise and blinking, before clearing her throat, and smiling a little.

"Er...good afternoon."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 08:40 PM
"O-oh!" The rogue creation jumps and steps back, looking rather nervous. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 09:01 PM
"Oh, it's quite alright." The woman looks a little nervous, herself...

...probably because some part of her brain is comparing the creation ot a Kull Warrior...

...but smiles. "I would get stiff if I sat here much longer, anyway."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 09:05 PM
Well, one or two things may seem odd to the woman by now...such as the rather simple, expressionless face, and, well you wouldn't naturally expect a seven foot tall metal humanoid with wings to be so nervous, would you? "Oh. I see. Um, hello..." Awkward pause. The rogue creation hasn't spoken to anyone or done anything in a very long time. "The fish are nice and relaxing, aren't they?"

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 09:17 PM
Well, she's used to weird things. :smalltongue:

"Indeed, they are. I didn't think that one such as you would find them relaxing, though?" Her tone is genuine, as opposed to anything 'ist'.

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 09:20 PM
"One such as me? W-what do you mean?" THe rogue creation lets out a sad sigh, "Does that mean you know what I am? I was hoping after so long, no one would remember...that I could walk around freely without people accusing me of being one of his creations."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 09:25 PM
"Er..."
The woman blinks a bit in surprise.
"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are...I'm merely used to, well, androids usually either being unemotional, or more...for lack of a better term, humanoid in appearance."

She stands, and bows slightly, formally. "Perhaps I should introduce myself? I am Captain Valeriya Vela Russkij, United States Air Force. And yourself?"

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 09:31 PM
"Oh, um, I'm not an android. I'm actually a proper living creature. It's, um, it's complicated. And, I...I don't have a name actually, but it's nice to meet you!" The rogue creation, well, it sounds embarrassed that it doesn't have a name, but aside from staring awkwardly at the floor, it doesn't really have any way of showing it.

"That's...that's good if you don't know what I am. I'm sort of unique and, well, sort of not. There's a lot of creations like me, but I'm the only one that's not under his control. I imagine this isn't making a lot of sense to you..."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 09:35 PM
"Not really, but it's probably making more sense than you think. You'd be a...renegade, then?"

Val tilts her head and looks thoughtful.

"Perhaps I should call you Osceola, then?"

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 09:40 PM
"A...renegade? I've never really thought of it like that. Um, why Osceola? What's that got to do with renegades? I-I'm sorry, I don't really know all that much..."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 09:48 PM
"In my world, Chief Osceola of the Seminole tribe was a mighty warrior, and a renegade to his enemies, who led his people in a fight for freedom," Val explains.

She leaves out where Osceola was captured through trickery and imprisoned, of course.

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 09:52 PM
"...That doesn't sound like me at all. This Osceola person sounds brave, for starters." The rogue creation shrugs and slowly walks round the koi pond, following a fish as it swims along. "I've spent a long, long time hiding in this temple. I'm not mighty warrior."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 10:16 PM
"Perhaps, however, you aren't planning on hiding forever, are you?" Val asks, eyebrow raised.

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 10:20 PM
"No, no. I've hidden for long enough. He'll have dismissed me by now. He wouldn't waste this much time on a single abnormality. But, well, I don't really have anything to do now. I've spent so long here, I doubt any of the few people I know are still around any more. I wonder if I can help out around the temple at all..."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 10:25 PM
"Well, perhaps, even if the old people aren't around any more, you could meet new ones?" Val shrugs. "Of course, I suppose working in a temple isn't all bad..."

As long as you remember that the candle flame means the meal was cooked long ago. *nods*

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 10:31 PM
"Meet new people? Eh...I'm not very good at that. And this is the town, it's filled with all kinds of nasty things. Even if he isn't around any more, there's all sorts of other things. Perhaps staying in the temple would be better anyway..."

The rogue creation looks down at the koi again, then back up at Val. "Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to act so, well, cowardly. It's not your problem. I'm just like that...I wish I was one of those fish."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 10:35 PM
"Even if you were a fish, it doesn't change that it's a nasty galaxy out there. But people have to deal with it one way or another. 'They also serve, who only stand and wait'."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 10:37 PM
"That's...I don't think I really understand it, but that's sounds important." The rogue creation ponders the saying for a moment or two, saying it slowly. "So, um, why are you here? I mean, if you don't mind me asking..."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 11:00 PM
"I...needed somewhere to relax." Val sighs. "This isn't my home. I got thrown here, and have no idea how to get back..."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 11:04 PM
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I, ah, I hope I didn't interrupt your relaxation too badly..." The rogue creation scratches its head awkwardly, "I should stop apologising. It's just, when you don't talk to anyone for so long, it can be a bit awkward..."

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 11:13 PM
"Don't worry, we once met somebody who'd been alone for several thousand years. Needless to say he was a bit batty..." Val chuckles, remembering meeting Harlan. "Don't worry about it. Meeting people is always good, and was kind-of my job before I got stuck here, too."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 11:16 PM
"Several th-thousand years?" The rogue creation's eyes widen.

That's a looong time! Especially when you consider that the rogue creation is at most five years old.

"So what was your job then? Presumably there was a bit more to it than just meeting people, right?"

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 11:22 PM
Val straightens up into an at-attention stance!
"Captain Russkij, USAF, second-in-command, SG-13," she explains. "We explored the galaxy and made contact with the civilisations in it."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 11:25 PM
"Oh, um, that sounds exciting...I suppose." Yeah, that pretty much went straight over the rogue creation's head. "I-er, it certainly sounds like hard work. How many civilisations did you make contact with?"

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 11:31 PM
Well, it's kind of difficult to determine, seeing as many of the civilisations were transpanted from Earth eons ago. Major civilisations...about a dozen or so. Hundreds, if you count those at the hunter-gatherer or stone-age level..."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 11:36 PM
"Oh, I see. It all sounds really complicated. Did you enjoy your work? How did you end up here?"

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 11:41 PM
"Oh, I enjoyed it a lot. The getting shot at all the time not so much, of course - not everybody out there is friendly."

Many of them want you to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD bow before them, of course.

"As for how I came here...I found a device - artifact - called a Quantum Mirror. You touch it, and it transports you to another dimension. The trouble is, the one on this side broke." Val sighs.

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 11:45 PM
"Is there no one in this place capable of fixing the thing then?" The rogue creation could suggest two people...

Except one of them is the psycho mad scientist who spent ages trying to hunt it down and kill it for breaking free of his control...

And the other one became morbidly depressed and probably committed suicide.

The rogue creation doesn't know many "normal" people.

The Bushranger
2010-02-17, 11:51 PM
Val sighs. "I don't think so. It's a technological device, not magical - and I haven't encountered anybody yet who seems to be Alteran, or descended from them."

Quinn could!
But neither of them know that.

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-17, 11:56 PM
"Oh, so they still use magic quite a lot round here. What's an Alteran?"

The Bushranger
2010-02-18, 12:06 AM
"Oh yeah, they do." Val chuckles, then turns serious. "In my universe, the Alterans, now known as the Ancients, were...basically the major progenitors of the galaxy thousands of years ago, one of the Four Great Races. Their technology pretty much forms the basis of ours now. The trouble is, when it finally breaks or runs down, you're pretty much stuck."

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-18, 12:11 AM
((Bleh. Stargate stuff. :smalltongue:))

"So, you use technology that you don't really know how to fix? I mean, there's a probably a good explanation for it, but isn't that kind of dangerous? What if it breaks down at a bad time like the...one that you were...using..." The rogue creation sighs. Now it sounds like it's being a smartass! Conversations are hard...

The Bushranger
2010-02-18, 12:18 AM
((:smallamused:))

"Exactly. We've been able to reverse-engineer and modify a lot of it, but some things, like the quantum mirror, are beyond us." Val gives the creation a no harm-no foul smile. "And I didn't mean to use it. I literally bumped into it by accident..."

((Alas, deadtime))

Gnrlshrimp
2010-02-18, 12:22 AM
"Oh, I see. Well, maybe there's a magical way of fixing it? I mean, there's a lot of talented magic users still around by the sound of it...maybe there's more than one way of fixing it!" And then the rogue creation sinks into deadtime as well.