PDA

View Full Version : How to pronounce Mook

Zocelot
2009-01-03, 03:32 PM
Last session, my group got into an argument over how to pronounce the word "Mook". The two ideas were rhyming with book, and the sound a cow makes with a k on the end. I checked Answers.com, but there was no information of pronunciation. What is the correct way to pronounce mook?

kamikasei
2009-01-03, 03:34 PM
The latter, like kook, or spook.

Collin152
2009-01-03, 03:34 PM
Mook: Moo-ck

kpenguin
2009-01-03, 03:38 PM
Dictionary.com's entry (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mook) on "mook" (I didn't bother looking at a reputable dictionary, since the word is so slangy) has the IPA pronunciation as /muk/.

The "m" sounding like in make, summer, or time
The "u" sounding like in ooze, food, soup, or sue
The "k" sounding like in can, speaker, or stick

EDIT: Double ninja'd!

TempusCCK
2009-01-03, 03:47 PM
I find the term particularly hilarious because in the vernacular of most of the world around me, the term has come to mean a particularly lazy or good for nothing person.

"What are you doing?"

"Mookin' "

"Wanna go get coffee?"

Eldariel
2009-01-03, 04:16 PM
Easiest way: It's the same as a cow's "moo", except with a "k" in the end.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-03, 04:19 PM
What those guys said, you mook. :smallcool:

Lert, A.
2009-01-03, 04:34 PM
Oh, the memories of learning the English language.

The horrid, horrid memories.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-03, 04:46 PM
Oh, the memories of learning the English language.

The horrid, horrid memories.

Some of us grew up on the damn thing.

Collin152
2009-01-03, 04:49 PM

And never looked back!
ぜんぜん!

Lert, A.
2009-01-03, 05:03 PM

You have my condolences.

Orzel
2009-01-03, 05:11 PM
I learned how to say the word from Irving the Penguin. What a Mook!

Ravens_cry
2009-01-03, 05:15 PM

Congratulations!:smallbiggrin:
I love the English language, it's such a ragbag of assortments from the world over, often subtly twisting the meanings of words that from one culture mean the general, to the specific from that culture. Take kimono, the original Japanese word simply meant robe, any robe. In English it means Japanese robe.
Not to mention all it's self contradictory rules, such as 'i' before 'e', except after 'c', except when it's not.Weird, huh? English is always in flux, with neologisms appearing all the time. Some leave, some stay. It is a rowdy language. And what was once the language of former invaders who lived on the southern part of an island off the coast of Europe, has become the language of trade and commerce the world over.
I love it!
I always pronounced mook like 'moon' with a 'k' instead of an 'n'.

Shpadoinkle
2009-01-03, 05:19 PM
Mook rhymes with duke.

Leliel
2009-01-03, 06:12 PM
It's pronounced "CAN-non FOD-ur".

Wah-wah-wah.

EDIT: Why I misspelled the pronunciation, no one can know.

TempusCCK
2009-01-03, 06:23 PM
I'm generally pro English, we managed to have the most confounding system, but it's also the most adaptive. English manages to make more words, with less symbols, than any other language in the world, all in all, one of the most difficult to learn, but the most efficient over all.

Decrying the effiency of English because of the difficulty in learning it is similar to saying computers suck because math is hard.

Alleine
2009-01-03, 06:34 PM

Still can't get the stains out :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-01-03, 06:36 PM
I'm generally pro English, we managed to have the most confounding system, but it's also the most adaptive. English manages to make more words, with less symbols, than any other language in the world, all in all, one of the most difficult to learn, but the most efficient over all.

Decrying the effiency of English because of the difficulty in learning it is similar to saying computers suck because math is hard.

I don't know, most of the words in English are completely superfluous and you'd get by with about a 10th of the presently existent documented vocabulary just fine; just looking at an English Thesaurus makes me cringe. The primary issue I've got with the language though is the irregularity; no other language I've got even a passing understanding of breaks quite as many of its own rules in syntax or phonology, and no other language I'm aware of has quite as heavy differences between the phonemes and their symbols. Learning conversational English is very easy but it takes a lifetime or more (at least for foreigners) to learn all the nuances and exceptions.

TempusCCK
2009-01-03, 07:20 PM
The nuances and exceptions don't really play that big of a part though, at least, not as much as some people think.

I do agree that in average conversation you can get by with a 10th of what is available, but there is something to be said for growth of language capacity. Not to mention, many words could have similar meanings, but have different nuances.

For instance, we both used the term "nuances" when we could have easily said "differences and similarities" or "variations." "Nuances", however, has a specific connotation that makes it particularly useful for what we were trying to say, which makes English a more adaptive language.

Ravens_cry
2009-01-03, 07:25 PM
I don't know, most of the words in English are completely superfluous and you'd get by with about a 10th of the presently existent documented vocabulary just fine; just looking at an English Thesaurus makes me cringe. The primary issue I've got with the language though is the irregularity; no other language I've got even a passing understanding of breaks quite as many of its own rules in syntax or phonology, and no other language I'm aware of has quite as heavy differences between the phonemes and their symbols. Learning conversational English is very easy but it takes a lifetime or more (at least for foreigners) to learn all the nuances and exceptions.
'Get by'? Sure. That is the idea behind Basic English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English), which has a grand total of 2000 words.
But it is the variety, the sheer exuberant prolificness that I love so.
Would you want to call a woman just 'pretty', or beautiful, attractive, beauteous, beautifully, beauty, better-looking, bonnie, bonny, comely, dishy , exquisite, fair, fine-looking, glorious, good-looking, gorgeous, graceful, handsome, lovely, picturesque, pleasant, pleasing, , pretty-pretty, pulchritudinous, ravishing, resplendent, scenic, sightly, splendid, splendiferous, stunning, and well-favoured?
It's the difference between a rose bush and garden. Between meat and vegetables, and a bountiful banquet. Yes, it is difficult. I have been learning English all my life, and I am still learning new words, and new ways to use them. And I am a native speaker. But that is it's joy, it's freedom.

Lert, A.
2009-01-03, 07:30 PM
Oh, what did I do?

I actually like English, but it being a second (well, fourth) language, it was terrible to learn. Once you get it, okay. Until then, weep.:smallfrown:

Epinephrine
2009-01-03, 08:11 PM
Oh, what did I do?

I actually like English, but it being a second (well, fourth) language, it was terrible to learn. Once you get it, okay. Until then, weep.:smallfrown:

Agree, terrible to learn... though on the plus side, conjugation is easy.

This is a poem I was sent ages ago; it is great fun, as it shows the bizarre pronunciations that abound in english. I figure you'd probably like it - I don't know anyone who has gotten it right all the way through (at least the first time :)

+-------------------------------------------+
ENGLISH IS TOUGH STUFF
+-------------------------------------------+

(Multi-national personnel at North Atlantic Treaty Organization headquarters near Paris found English to be an easy language ... until they tried to pronounce it. To help them discard an array of accents, the verses below were devised. After trying them, a Frenchman said he'd prefer six months at hard labor to reading six lines aloud. Try them yourself.)

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.

Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.

Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;
Gertrude, German, wind and mind,
Scene, Melpomene, mankind.

Billet does not rhyme with ballet,
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.
Viscous, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward.
And your pronunciation's OK
When you correctly say croquet,
Rounded, wounded, grieve and sleeve,
Friend and fiend, alive and live.

Ivy, privy, famous; clamour
And enamour rhyme with hammer.
River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
Doll and roll and some and home.
Stranger does not rhyme with anger,
Neither does devour with clangour.
Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,
Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,
Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,
And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.

Query does not rhyme with very,
Nor does fury sound like bury.
Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.
Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.
Though the differences seem little,
We say actual but victual.
Refer does not rhyme with deafer.
Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer.
Mint, pint, senate and sedate;
Dull, bull, and George ate late.
Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,
Science, conscience, scientific.

Liberty, library, heave and heaven,
Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.
We say hallowed, but allowed,
People, leopard, towed, but vowed.
Mark the differences, moreover,
Between mover, cover, clover;
Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,
Chalice, but police and lice;
Camel, constable, unstable,
Principle, disciple, label.

Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.
Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.
Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.

Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.

Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,
Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.

Pronunciation -- think of Psyche!
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won't it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It's a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,
Housewife, verdict and indict.

Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

Pie Guy
2009-01-03, 09:29 PM
Lots of people learn english, it aren't that hard.:smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2009-01-04, 05:38 PM
Mook rhymes with Duke. I'd be confused if someone tried to pronounce it another way.

However, I tend to refer to English as being like a family's crazy uncle. You can't imagine life without it... it's just part of how your life is... but every so often you have to look at it and say "What is wrong with you?"

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 06:45 PM
the word is of a langage designed by cows and orangutans
MOOOOO Ookkk oook ookk

Also rhymes with racial epitaph for Asian person's...

The Glyphstone
2009-01-04, 08:06 PM
the word is of a langage designed by cows and orangutans
MOOOOO Ookkk oook ookk

Also rhymes with racial epitaph for Asian person's...

You mean epithet?

the irony of this is staggering considering the nature of the ongoing discussion...

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 08:25 PM
You mean epithet?

the irony of this is staggering considering the nature of the ongoing discussion...

possibly
I have, repeatedly , and often, stated in this forum, that i am not a very smart individual

I'm a moron, lets move on

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 08:34 PM
You mean epithet?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5474520&postcount=393

The Glyphstone
2009-01-04, 08:43 PM
Can't blame you, the two words are very similar. It just struck me as funny considering this thread is all about how weird the english language is.

Now I want to try and figure out what a racial epitaph would be, aside from a normal epitaph written in someone's native language...

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 08:46 PM
Can't blame you, the two words are very similar. It just struck me as funny considering this thread is all about how weird the english language is.

Now I want to try and figure out what a racial epitaph would be, aside from a normal epitaph written in someone's native language...

I don't know what an epitaph is...

I was only trying to help :(

Kris Strife
2009-01-04, 08:54 PM
English does not borrow from other languages so much as lure them into an alley, knock them unconscious and rifle through their pockets for spare change. -- Terry Pratchet

Me fail english? That unpossible! -- Ralph Wiggum

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 08:57 PM
English does not borrow from other languages so much as lure them into an alley, knock them unconcios and rifle through their pockets for spare change. -- Terry Pratchet

Me fail english? That unpossible! -- Ralph Wiggum

True, English is a strange langauge,
Doctor who has me convinced that the British can't pronounce a teeth earth "th" sound.
Earf
Teef
Or Americans REALLY cant talk
Then again, im from michigan, we don't pronounce things so well...

Dacia Brabant
2009-01-04, 09:01 PM
Huh, I thought it was pronounced "minion". :smalltongue:

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 09:02 PM
Huh, I thought it was pronounced "minion". :smalltongue:

I'm still going with my original answer. it comes from the combined language of Cows and Orangutans.
It was brought to humans by noted scholar Shannon Fodder

The Glyphstone
2009-01-04, 09:02 PM
I don't know what an epitaph is...

I was only trying to help :(

Aaaaahk. Me understands bester now.:smallwink:

An Epitaph is the words written on a person's gravestone or memorial when they die.

An Epithet (the word you meant), in a racial context, is a slur or insult against said race.

Prometheus
2009-01-04, 09:03 PM
People has to realize that two complaints of English that only have to do with the fact that it is the most common second language:
1)Being the most common second language, it picks up words from other languages. This is due to the influence of other languages when communicating through or being communicated to English. Were say, French the main language, it should have this problem to the extent that English does.
2)Learning a second language (past when childhood linguistic capabilities are developed) is hard for everyone. The fact that English is the most common means that it has a concentration of (well-deserved) complaints about the process, simply from being the convention.

That being said, English certainly does have big flaws. I don't know enough languages to make an accurate comparison to the flaws other languages has. I would hazard a guess though, that the perfect language is an artificial language that no one uses. The reason? Using a languages makes it informal.

lisiecki
2009-01-04, 09:06 PM
Aaaaahk. Me understands bester now.:smallwink:

An Epitaph is the words written on a person's gravestone or memorial when they die.

An Epithet (the word you meant), in a racial context, is a slur or insult against said race.

Actually I'm just an atrocious speller.
I typed Epithet in to Goggle and the "racial slurs" wiki page was the first one that came up so i thought i was safe...
This reminds me why i never trust Wikipedia for anything but trivia

Eldariel
2009-01-04, 09:44 PM
Actually I'm just an atrocious speller.
I typed Epithet in to Goggle and the "racial slurs" wiki page was the first one that came up so i thought i was safe...
This reminds me why i never trust Wikipedia for anything but trivia

Allow me to suggest unto thee http://www.dictionary.com. It's an excellent English - English dictionary.

Ravens_cry: Oh yes, my point was that that contributes greatly to the difficulty of learning the language especially when many of the similar words aren't actually etymologically connected (which causes difficulties in deducting the meanings of unfamiliar words) due to its mixed Romance/German heritage. Versatile? Definitely, especially since the speakers artificially expand and modify the meanings of the synonymous words of different origin to have social and semantic differences; a surprisingly large segment of the English vocabulary actually completely lacks true synonyms. Easy to learn? Hardly.

Capfalcon
2009-01-05, 12:20 AM
I don't get why everyone has posted the wrong pronunciation.

It's koh-bold.

Yes, I know. I'm witty.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-01-05, 12:29 AM
English is the Borg of linguistics.

BobVosh
2009-01-05, 12:40 AM
possibly
I have, repeatedly , and often, stated in this forum, that i am not a very smart individual

I'm a moron, lets move on

Is that why you are an Orc in the playground? Bah-zing >.> I'm just kidding around and don't mean disrespect to Lisiecki. Only to orcs. Dirty dumb greenies...

People has to realize that two complaints of English that only have to do with the fact that it is the most common second language:
1)Being the most common second language, it picks up words from other languages. This is due to the influence of other languages when communicating through or being communicated to English. Were say, French the main language, it should have this problem to the extent that English does.*snipped*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise#Functions
Except the French are afraid of this, and created an extremely weak board for the purity of thier language. Hence why airplanes aren't called airplanes in France, but are almost everywhere else.

Hmm as for a racial epitaph, which I admit humors me...

Stabbed in the back by a *goblin*
I never saw it coming.

Obviously on this relatively SFW forums I'm not going to use such words. In fact I made it gobliin. Insert your favorite racial term.

lisiecki
2009-01-05, 01:18 AM
Is that why you are an Orc in the playground? Bah-zing >.> I'm just kidding around and don't mean disrespect to Lisiecki. Only to orcs. Dirty dumb greenies...

Lisiecki may not be da smartest, but es still da best.
Frankly im just waiting for ...
Damn Kris fixed his spelling mistakes before they could confuse Glyphstone

Thurbane
2009-01-05, 01:31 AM
Mook rhymes with duke.

Mook rhymes with Duke. I'd be confused if someone tried to pronounce it another way.
Wouldn't that make it pronounced mewk? Or do Americans pronounce duke like Luke?

Epinephrine
2009-01-05, 07:19 AM
Yes, I've noticed that many Americans pronounce a word like duke, dook, rather than dewk.

They often drop the "h" out of words like whether and whales, pronouncing them like weather and Wales, respectively - this is common in Canada as well as the USA. (Stewie Griffin on the The Family Guy plays with the dropped h from time to time)

lisiecki
2009-01-05, 08:56 AM
Yes, I've noticed that many Americans pronounce a word like duke, dook, rather than dewk.

They often drop the "h" out of words like whether and whales, pronouncing them like weather and Wales, respectively - this is common in Canada as well as the USA. (Stewie Griffin on the The Family Guy plays with the dropped h from time to time)

how dare you compare us to Canadians.
We don't talk any thing like them, and I should know, growing up in detroit i have no idea what your talking aboot, eh.

Person_Man
2009-01-05, 11:34 AM
As far as I know, it's derived from jamook (ja as in Ja Rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ja_Rule), mook as in a cow's moo). It means a common idiot or shmo in American Italian slang. "Just another jamook from the neighborhood."