PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain truenamers to me?

Roythebattousai
2009-01-03, 06:55 PM
I'm stuck with that class for a new campaign that we're doing.

I read the section on them in the Tome of Magic. I'm still confused on the utterances and such. Are the utterances listed there all I can do? The class seems like nothing more than a gish. I was under the impression that I'd be able to bend the universe to my will, whatever that may be.

We're starting at 4th level, by the way.

Oslecamo
2009-01-03, 07:09 PM
It wasn't your impression. In practice, the only thing they can do reliably is being a gish. Don't expect to actually be able to bend the universe or anything like that.

Worst tome of magic class.

TempusCCK
2009-01-03, 07:09 PM
The class is fundamentally broken, since the difficulty checks for your utterances scale higher than you're able to meet with skills.

sebsmith
2009-01-03, 07:10 PM
To play an effective Truenamer, you want to read this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=614007). You should also ask your dm if you can get a item familiar (so you can put all the bonus skill points into Truespeak).

If your asking about the fluff, I understand it to mean you say stuff in a bizarre ancient, and if you say it correctly enough, crazy stuff happens. I don't think there are any additional utterances, given that the class has difficulties at later levels.

I'm curious how you got stuck playing a Truenamer. It might give us insight into what's expected here.

Flickerdart
2009-01-03, 07:18 PM
I'm stuck with that class for a new campaign that we're doing.

I read the section on them in the Tome of Magic. I'm still confused on the utterances and such. Are the utterances listed there all I can do? The class seems like nothing more than a gish. I was under the impression that I'd be able to bend the universe to my will, whatever that may be.

We're starting at 4th level, by the way.
You can go around researching truenames of important NPCs and making them cry. Also, you get nice skill points and Knowledges as skills, meaning you can know things. Not impressive, but decent.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-03, 07:53 PM
For truenamer fluff, read the Earthsea trilogy (Tehanu? What's Tehanu?) - all the magic system there bases on knowing the real names of things, creatures and people, and using them to your advantage.