PDA

View Full Version : Souls & Undead

Brett Wong
2009-01-03, 07:37 PM
Do undead possess souls? Zombies, skeletons, wraiths, ghouls, vampires ect. ect. ect.

Edit: If they did, and you controlled them and or owned them, could you sell said souls to devils?

Edit: Oh my god >< wrong section sorry. misclick. I seem to remember an option to delete posts, can someone point me to it. I'm unable to find it.

Editx3: Ignore and let sink please.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-01-03, 08:36 PM
This is my opinion on the matter;

Mindless undead like skeletons and zombies do not have souls. They are merely animated corpses.
Undead with Int scores do have their souls within them, bodies and souls powered by negative energy. The exception to this rule is the Lich, whose soul is within their phylactery. Some other undead might have their souls in other places but none that I can name off the top of my head other than the lich.

Edit: Uh, woops.

Caldarin
2009-01-05, 01:43 AM
zombies and such, definitely not... but vampires and lichs, I'm not sure
I think the whole point of being free willed undead is that you're sentient, not an outsider, but your body has no soul... I say that part of becoming undead is that you the soul is lost, because generally speaking, it's not something one does willingly.

the exception to this is the Lich (and possibly the vampire), and the lich holds onto its soul, but not in its body

Limos
2009-01-05, 02:23 AM
Most undead are just corpses animated by magic. As such their souls are not attached.

Really a Lich is not an undead in the same sense as the others. He was alive and then bound his still living soul to the phylactery. His corpse body then died but he kept moving it around. So I always think that the Lich himself is alive, but his is basically a Zombie being possessed by his own soul.

Xefas
2009-01-05, 11:57 AM
I always thought that creating and using undead was Evil because when you animate one, you're forcibly pulling someone's soul from the afterlife and reanimating their body, except instead of using positive energy, you're using negative energy to sustain the link. Since negative energy isn't fit for sustaining life, the subject is overcome with horrific pain and a ravenous hunger.

Then there are ghosts, spectres, wraiths, and allips which are basically just floating souls swimming in negative energy.