PDA

View Full Version : Possession, Demonic or otherwise

llamamushroom
2009-01-04, 04:40 AM
As much as this is probably obvious to those who have read all of the too many splatbooks, I still don't know what the Sacred Exorcist's exorcism power can be used against. Does anyone have a list of all of the different possessing monsters, or even just a list of books they can be found in?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-01-04, 05:39 AM
Fiend Folio has the Fiend of Possession prestige class, which any Outsider with the Evil subtype can gain levels in. The Fiendish Codex I and II contain incorporeal demons and devils, I'm not familiar with any of them specifically but iirc some have the ability to possess creatures.

hamishspence
2009-01-04, 07:56 AM
the Malevolence power of some Ghosts allows them to possess victims.

Magic Jar allows ordinary spellcasters to do this too.

Cheesegear
2009-01-04, 08:17 AM
Would it work on people under the effect of Charm/Dominate spells?

mabriss lethe
2009-01-04, 12:03 PM
Also Binders

The Glyphstone
2009-01-04, 12:07 PM
Libris Mortis gives rules for undead entities to possess inanimate objects poltergeist-style.

hamishspence
2009-01-04, 12:10 PM
Alongside undead ones, non-undead Haunted Places were done in Dragon magazine- not quite the same as Possession, but makes a good target for an exorcism if DM and player agree on that being ok use of it.

Dungeonscape had a few ways of making a dungeon seem creepier and more "alive" tentacles bursting from the floor are pictured, for example.

Starscream
2009-01-04, 01:04 PM
Book of Vile Darkness likewise has a bunch of possession rules.

In fact it seems a lot of splatbooks do. Does anyone know if these rules are compatible with eachother, or are they mutually exclusive?

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-04, 03:08 PM
In fact it seems a lot of splatbooks do. Does anyone know if these rules are compatible with eachother, or are they mutually exclusive?

Well, the Fiendish Codices reference Book of Vile Darkness in their possession bits.

EDIT: Oops, my mistake. :smallredface: Fixeded. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-01-04, 03:12 PM
Would be a bit hard- BoVD is Autumn 2002, Fiend Folio is Spring 2003.

While Fiendish Codex 1's version is the most recent (has Transformation option, that earlier books don't) Fiend Of Possession Prestige class has been used several times in 3.5 Faerun books. So, both are valid.

herrhauptmann
2009-01-04, 05:24 PM
Would be a bit hard- BoVD is Autumn 2002, Fiend Folio is Spring 2003.

Think he meant the artifact Book of Vile Darkness, not the 3.0 sourcebook.