PDA

View Full Version : Orogs in a non-Faerunian setting?

JellyPooga
2009-01-04, 08:34 AM
Thread title says it all really; how balanced are Orogs for use in non-Faerun settings? I've the general impression that the Forgotten Realms setting and materials are pitched at a slightly higher power curve than the "standard" setting, but I'm not quite sure of the actual differential.

Would you limit them to a rare one-off baddie? An uncommon but known-of menace? As well known as Goblins? Usable as player characters?

Just looking for opinions really, not to any particular purpose. I quite like the Orogs as a race...they seem so much more orky to me than the standard orcs in the MM.

hamishspence
2009-01-04, 08:50 AM
Faerun content tends to migrate to generic setting over time- monsters, spells, some feats- so in general they aren't badly overpowered. Except for the occasional gamebreaker (sarrukh powers, which players shouldn't be able to have anyway).

Orogs have a hefty LA though, so they should not be too cheesy.

bosssmiley
2009-01-04, 10:02 AM
Orogs? IMO they're just another of the 'humanoid races that don't differ enough from one another for you to care about in any meaningful way'. Even in "Birthright" (where they entirely replaced Orcs) they were a tedious intrusion into the Goblinoid niche. :smallannoyed:

Speaking as a DM. I wouldn't even think of using them in any 3E game. Like the Desmodu, Orogs have no worthwhile selling point for me. YMMV.