PDA

View Full Version : [Screen Name] Shield Master of Fsi-Dib

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-27, 04:54 PM
Shield Master of Fsi-Dib

A shield master of Fsi-Dib is a peculiar sight for a veteran fighter. The instant the fighter sees him, he wonders what will be his weapons. Only two shields are visible and the foe makes no moves. The fighter no longer waits for him to do anything, and charges towards the shield-wielding enemy, who then cleverly flings his shield towards the fighter's legs, tripping him. As
the fighter tries to get up, the foe approaches, this time he has two shields more, orbiting around him. Fighter effortlessly tries to overcome the swift shields as the foe bashes him, aiding himself with psionic powers. After the fight, the fighter lies dead on the ground, defeated by an opponent, who didn't even use weapons or offensive powers. Some say attack is the best defense, but it can be proved wrong.

Fsi-Dib, a nickname for a well-known fighter, who used a great number of shields in fights. He used psionics to aid him in the fights, making his shields better, creating an armor for himself and speed him up.The nickname, Fsi-Dib, is actually a combination of two sound effects. The "Fsi" represents the sound when a shiled is thrown, and "dib" represents when it hits. See, when it hits, there's no if.
Hit die: d8

Requirements: To qualify to become a shield master of Fsi-Dib, the character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Shield Bash, Weapon Focus (shield) or (shield spikes)
Powers: Able to manifest 2nd-level powers

Class skills: The shield master of Fsi-Dib's class skills (and the key ability to each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill points at each level: 2 + Int modifier

{table]

Level

BAB

Fort

Refl

Will
Special
Powers

1st

+0

+2

+2

+0
Shield mastery
-

2nd

+1

+3

+3

+0
Shield Fling
+1 existing manifester level

3rd

+2

+3

+3

+1
Arrow Shielding

4th

+3

+4

+4

+1
Light Shields

5th

+3

+4

+4

+1
Floating Shields
-

[/table]
Class Features
All the following are class features of the shield master of Fsi-Dib prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shield master of Fsi-Dib gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Powers Known: At every level indicated on the table, the character gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of shield master of Fsi-Dib to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a shield master of Fsi-Dib, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of shield master of Fsi-Dib for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.
Shield Mastery: A shield master of Fsi-Dib has mastered in using shields as his main weaponry and uses them in both offensive and defensive manner. He applies shield bonuses from both shields and at the same time treats them as basic weapons (so that he can attack with a shield in his main hand with his full strength bonus). Also, all shields he uses deal damage as if they were one size category larger. This stacks with shields that have spikes on them. Thus, a spiked large shield would deal 1d8 damage.
Shield Fling: A shield master of Fsi-Dib has learned to fling a shield at a formidable distance. He can fling his shield as if it were a throwable weapon with a range increment of 30ft. This shields flies back to the shield master of Fsi-Dib. Catching the shield is a free action. If the wielder can't catch it, or if the wielder has moved since throwing it, the shield drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.
Basically this ability gives the Ranged ability to all shields wielded by a shield master of Fsi-Dib. The ability can be found in Expanded Psionics Handbook page 163.
Arrow Shielding: A shield master of Fsi-Dib can make a ready action, which makes his shields deflect all incoming not-too-large projectiles (arrows, bolts, sling bullets, small or medium sized thrown weapons) until his next turn. He does, however, lose shield bonuses from both shields, since they are assigned to deflect arrows, not normal melee attacks. He needs two shields to perform this action.
At 3rd level and higher, a shield master of Fsi-Dib gains an extra +1 Dodge bonus to his AC when using the Total Defense action.
Light Shields: A shield master of Fsi-Dib, with the aid of psionic powers, treats large shields as light weapons.
Floating Shields: At 5th level, a shield master of Fsi-Dib has truly mastered to use shields with the power of his mind. He no longer needs to hold them with his hand, and can simply let them float in the air. This means he does not get armor check penalty, arcane spell failure or max dex restriction from the floating shields. These shields may not be tower shields and there can be 2 of these shields in total. He can use additional shields as weapons, however he does not gain shield bonuses from those shields. (it would be too good to be true to have four shields all giving the shield bonuses). Also, a shield master of Fsi-Dib adds his shield bonuses against touch attacks, since they no longer are in touch with their wielder, yet defend at all costs.
Levitating Shields: If the floating shields are unspiked, a shield master of Fsi-Dib can hop on these shields and slowly float around with one-half his base land speed. These shields float 1 feet above solid ground (this means a shield master of Fsi-Dib can't levitate on water, for instance), and can carry 200lbs. per shield. Obviously, these shields do not give the shield bonuses as long as they are used to carry their wielder (or anything).
Spinning Shields: A shield master of Fsi-Dib can make the shields spin around him at tremendous speed, giving him concealment instead of the shield bonuses he would gain. Performing this action needs both floating shields and is a move action.
Ally Protection: A shield master of Fsi-Dib can assign his shield or two to guard an object or a living creature in an adjacent square. Doing this gives the shield bonus(es) to the protected subject. Logically, you lose these shield bonuses as long as the shields protect the subject. Making this move is a free action.
A shield master can assign these shields to spin around the subject as in the Spinning Shields ability.

Guess what..., updated:
After Mohko told about the SRD, whose existence I always forget, I chose to make this PrC 100% psionic again. It's more fun that way. I added some new abilities. A shield master of Fsi-Dib gets some bigger bonuses when he reaches level 5. ... now there's more abilities.

ARE YOU SATISFIED?!

Starbuck_II
2004-07-27, 05:14 PM
Don't diss Elan:
For the count of 1 power point they can gain effective 2 damage reduction(magical or not important) each as a immidiate action (on someone else's turn/free action) last only that attack but still.

I like the flavor of the class a shield warrior.
Hmm, Psi warriors can become this easiest around level 8.
Lv 3 Psion has Bab+1, so 4 Level Fighter Bab= +5.

Your class will be taken around level 7 or 8 at the earliest.
Just checking ;D

Hmm a Psi war/Shield Master of FSI-Dib/Warmind would be a great combo 8)

So why gain 1d8 and not 1d10?

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-27, 05:18 PM
Don't diss Elan:
For the count of 1 power point they can gain effective 2 damage reduction(magical or not important) each as a immidiate action (on someone else's turn/free action) last only that attack but still.

I don't diss Elan, it's a superior race when playing a psion, it's just a dumb name, at least I think it's a dumb name. :P

So why gain 1d8 and not 1d10?

Because a normal Spiked Large Shield deals 1d6 damage. One size larger and it deals 1d8. Simple.

And I figured it would be quite tremendous to have two shields both giving 1d10 damage ...

Starbuck_II
2004-07-27, 05:35 PM
sorrty I meant the HD 1d8 not 1d10 :-[

Is it because it gives out +1 manifestor level? Warmind casts spells so that can't be entirely it, is it?

I'd just like a explaination. ;D

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-27, 05:49 PM
It's because Psychic Warrior's HD is also d8. I try to keep my PrC close to that class. ::)

kirellagen
2004-07-27, 11:44 PM
Man, If I had the psionic handbook, I would so take this PrC. :'( :-[
*sigh* No money.

Kire

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-28, 07:47 AM
Man, If I had the psionic handbook, I would so take this PrC. :'( :-[*sigh* No money.

Well I was thinking of modifying this into an arcane class, since I have time. We'll see.

[Edit]: I changed this class from psionic to arcane. Pity, but it works both ways the way I wanted it to. Rejoice!

[Yet another Edit]: I mixed psionics and arcane together. Woo-y!

Mohko
2004-07-28, 10:00 AM
Man, If I had the psionic handbook, I would so take this PrC. :'( :-[
*sigh* No money.
Kire

Yoy can always use the SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35)

kirellagen
2004-07-28, 11:35 AM
Yay! :D I'm using this class!

Kire

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-28, 04:10 PM
Yoy can always use the SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35)

Oy, ye have a point there, lad. I'll configure it to the same form it was before. Damn I always forget the existence of SRD. :-X

Yay! :D I'm using this class!

Glad you like it. :) I think it's proper name outside this contest would be Shielddancer.

Starbuck_II
2004-07-29, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure but you usually only add 1/2 str bonus to shield bash attacks.
If you had a ability to not have damage count as a offhand weapon then that would make it a better class

Otherwise, shields won't be very strong for damage.

mimicgogo
2004-07-29, 10:13 PM
Nice class. I'm not one for psionics myself, but very well written. I especially like the arrow shielding ability.

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-30, 03:32 AM
I'm not sure but you usually only add 1/2 str bonus to shield bash attacks.
If you had a ability to not have damage count as a offhand weapon then that would make it a better class

Otherwise, shields won't be very strong for damage.

There's actually nothing said about mainhand shield bashing, but I know made it clear, that you apply full strength bonus when bashing with your main hand. I tried to clarify this by adding the line "treats as basic weapons", which would indicate the shields are nothing more that weapons with shield bonus (and max dex/ASF/ACP) and vice versa. You do get the point.

Zherog
2004-07-30, 02:56 PM
A caveat before I begin - I know didly about psionics, so I'll skip that stuff. ;)

Requirements: To qualify to become a shield master of Fsi-Dib, the character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Shield Bash, Weapon Focus (shield) or (shield spikes)
Powers: Able to manifest 2nd-level powers

I don't see anything wrong with the requirements - they look pretty "standard."

Class skills: The shield master of Fsi-Dib's class skills (and the key ability to each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (Psionics), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill points at each level: 2 + Int modifier

You forgot to add Profession to the class skill list. ;)

Shield Mastery: A shield master of Fsi-Dib has mastered in using shields as his main weaponry and uses them in both offensive and defensive manner. He applies shield bonuses from both shields and at the same time treats them as basic weapons (so that he can attack with a shield in his main hand with his full strength). Also, all shields he uses deal damage as if they were one size category larger. This stacks with shields that have spikes on them. Thus, a spiked large shield would deal 1d8 damage.

Interesting.

Shield Fling: A shield master of Fsi-Dib has learned to fling his shields at a formidable distance. He can fling his shields as if they were throwable weapons with a range increment of 30ft. These shields return to their wielder just before the creatre's next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).
Basically this ability gives the Ranged ability to all shields wielded by a shield master of Fsi-Dib. The ability can be found in Expanded Psionics Handbook page 163.

Two things here. First, a range of 30 feet seems pretty good to me. That's the same range as a javelin and more than a dart - two weapons designed for throwing. Maybe 20' makes a better range increment.

Second - your returning ability. What if the character moved out of the square from which he threw the shield? According to the "Returning" weapon ability, they still return to that square. You don't specify, but I would assume it's the same? In fact, you might do good to simply say all shields when thrown are treated as though they had the Returning ability. That covers all that without having to retype it. ;)

Arrow Shielding: A shield master of Fsi-Dib can make a ready action, which makes his shields deflect all incoming arrows until his next turn. He does, however, lose shield bonuses from both shields, since they are assigned to deflect arrows, not normal melee attacks. He needs two shields to perform this action.

Alright - so he can gain complete protection from arrows while lowering his AC against melee attacks. Seems OK, I suppose. Here's a nitpicky loophole, though. The character gains no benefits from incoming crossbow bolts or sling bullets - since those aren't arrows. ;)

Also, when reaching 3rd level, a shield master of Fsi-Dib gain +5 dodge bonus to AC instead of +4 when performing a total defense action. If the character already has +6 dodge bonus to AC (from tumble, for instance), a shield master of Fsi-Dib gets +7 dodge bonus to AC instead when executing a total defense standard action.

You could simplify the wording by saying, "At 3rd level and higher, a Shield Master of Fsi-Dib gains an extra +1 Dodge bonus to his AC when using the Total Defense action."

Light Shields: A shield master of Fsi-Dib, with the aid of psionic powers, treats large shields as light weapons.

Nice for reducing TWF penalties.

Floating Shields: At 5th level, a shield master of Fsi-Dib has truly mastered to use shields with the power of his mind. He no longer needs to hold them with his hand, and can simply let them float in the air. This means he does not get armor check penalty, arcane spell failure or max dex restriction from the floating shields. These shields may not be tower shields and there can be 2 of these shields in total. He can use additional shields as weapons, however he does not gain shield bonuses from those shields. (it would be too good to be true to have four shields all giving the shield bonuses). Also, a shield master of Fsi-Dib adds his shield bonuses to his touch attacks, since they no longer are in touch with their wielder, yet defend at all costs.

FYI - animated shields (the Enhancement you can apply with the Craft Arms and Armor feat) still have a max dex and still apply their armor check penalty. Just something to keep in mind.

Levitating Shields: If the floating shields are unspiked, a shield master of Fsi-Dib can hop on these shields and slowly float around with one-half his base land speed. Obviously, these shields do not give the shield bonuses as long as they are used to carry their wielder.

How far off the ground can he go? Does there need to be "ground" under him - in other words, what about water, a ravine, etc? How much weight can the shield hold?

Spinning Shields: A shield master of Fsi-Dib can make the shields spin around him at tremendous speed, giving him concealment instead of the shield bonuses he would gain. Performing this action needs both floating shields and is a move action.

What if I have two sheilds spinning and two in my hands? Now I have concealment and the shield bonus to AC.

Ally Protection: A shield master of Fsi-Dib can assign his shield or two to guard an object or a living creature in an adjacent square. Doing this gives the shield bonus(es) to the protected subject. Logically, you lose these shield bonuses as long as the shields protect the subject. Making this move is a free action.
A shield master can assign these shields to spin around the subject as in the Spinning Shields ability.

Nice little ability.

Interesting class. I like 5 level classes, because they allow you to pick up some cool little treats without sacrificing a lot of your base class. This one is interesting.

Have you ever actually played this? I'm curious how it would playtest.

Fsi-Dib
2004-07-30, 03:52 PM
Holy Sh-... Zherog, I now understand why people find you awesome. You actually replied with a post with very good points. :o

I'll go modify all things right away.

And no, I didn't have time to playtest this one. I like made this PrC in one night. And that was probably Tuesday, or wednesday, or both.

What if I have two sheilds spinning and two in my hands? Now I have concealment and the shield bonus to AC.

It says there "giving him concealment instead of the shield bonuses he would gain.". So no, you do not get the both. It would be stupid.

Zherog
2004-07-30, 04:11 PM
http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/blush.gif