PDA

View Full Version : Cave story

Inhuman Bot
2009-01-04, 01:45 PM
After having had enough reccomendations to decide to play this, I looked around for Cave story on the internet, and can't find the download.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Drascin
2009-01-04, 01:58 PM
Try here (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_4.php). The page was the first Google hit for Cave Story, actually :smalltongue:. I just am giving you the direct link for the download page for the deluxe pack.

Happy gaming, and nice choice :smallwink:.

Inhuman Bot
2009-01-04, 02:06 PM
Try here (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_4.php). The page was the first Google hit for Cave Story, actually :smalltongue:. I just am giving you the direct link for the download page for the deluxe pack.

Happy gaming, and nice choice :smallwink:.

huh, I should have thought of that.

I had used the TVTropes link to the nglish version, and that page's link had a 404 error. Thanks!:smallsmile:

Tirian
2009-01-04, 02:08 PM
Perhaps I'm slapping a big "I suck at platformers" sticker on my forehead here, but if I enjoyed the game a lot up to Monster X and now I can't get past the Core is there any sense to continuing or is it just going to keep up as one unwinnable boss fight after another until the end of the game?

endoperez
2009-01-04, 02:12 PM
Download the Cave Story Deluxe Package by Wadeizzle (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_4.php)

(contains PC & MAC versions fully translated, guides, useful programs and much more!) Mac Installer version not available currently.

From this fansite:
http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

The developer's own site seems to be in Japanese only.

You'll have few choices during the game. If you haven't read any spoilers, complete the game once before reading them.
If you trade your weapon when you're asked to, you'll have easier time for a while.

Once you have finished the game once, you can go for the more difficult ending. And it's much more difficult.

You really should complete the game the normal way once. WITHOUT reading spoilers!

Then read spoilers about how to get to "Sacred Grounds".

Talvara
2009-01-04, 02:19 PM
cavestory really is an awesome game,

and yeah you really should keep going after monster X and the core :P. sure it will get harder again, but the story really swept me away from that point on.

Its one of those games that just leaves a tingly feeling when you've beaten it. loved the characters!

(also after playing trough it once you really have to take the harder ending! its just somuch better)

endoperez
2009-01-04, 02:30 PM
Perhaps I'm slapping a big "I suck at platformers" sticker on my forehead here, but if I enjoyed the game a lot up to Monster X and now I can't get past the Core is there any sense to continuing or is it just going to keep up as one unwinnable boss fight after another until the end of the game?

Monster X is very hard. I replayed the game a while ago, barely made it through Monster X in the first try, and had to retry the Core twice, and I thought I was already pretty decent in it.

Against Core, you need to deal lots of damage (I used level 3 rockets), and if you destroy the blobs he shoots at you you can collect health, missiles and exp.

I suggest sticking with the game. There are several rather large areas ahead of you, the plot gets some interesting turns, and I think there's only one difficult boss before the final fight.

The fight against Sisters can be hard: you have to harm both of them before they attack or you'll get lots of damage. And in the final fight... well, that wasn't easy, so you might not get through that, but the plot is mostly complete by that point, any way.

EDIT:
^ Talvara, if by "harder ending" you mean "the ending that's really, really ridiculously hard", well, I've been trying for a while... :smallfrown: I mean, this recent replay was so I'd refresh my skills. I breezed through the game, even the final fight didn't feel that difficult any more, but I still suck in the Sacred Grounds.

Sneak
2009-01-04, 03:12 PM
I just started the game, pretty much. Right now I'm in the Sand Zone. I'm about to go to the warehouse with the red flowers in it for some kind of boss fight, I presume. Probably another Balrog fight, seeing as he himself went and visited the old lady when I gave her the last puppy.

Anyway, it's a great game.

Just one question—I think I'm choosing to not get the machine gun and instead keep my polar star so that I can trade it for the Spur later—is it worth it to do this, or is it better to just take the machine gun?

Terraoblivion
2009-01-04, 03:48 PM
If you don't plan on going to the Sacred Grounds there is no need to make it harder for yourself for a long time by not getting the machine gun. You don't need the spur on normal and going for a long time without a better, dependable weapon than the North Star is pretty hard.

Greep
2009-01-04, 06:10 PM
yeah just get the machine gun. Snake is pretty interesting for non-bosses, but bosses are the hard part of the game up until the secret uber ending.

I forget, do you need to keep polar star for nemesis?