PDA

View Full Version : Need some homebrew stuff?

The Neoclassic
2009-01-04, 02:50 PM
So, I have quite a long winter break and hence I am home and bored for the next two weeks with nothing to do. Therefore, I'd like to extend an offer to any time-crunched DMs or anyone else who'd like something homebrewed up for them. I specialize in (all D&D 3.5, if stats are involved):

Cultural fluff
NPCs
New races
New prestige classes
Organizations
New deities, churches, and religious views
Conflicting or rival factions

I am not as good with creating new combat rules, maps, 4.0 crunchy stuff, or geographical details. However, if there is something on the first list, or something not listed which you'd like me to make for you, please post! I will try to complete all requests within 24-72 hours, depending on how in-depth it is.

Thanks to all in advance! :)

Edit: I see there is another thread already for request-a-homebrew (thanks, afroakuma_ so I will make sure to go and help out there as well. Still, feel free to post here or message me with requests.

afroakuma
2009-01-04, 02:54 PM
Take a glance in the Request a Homebrew thread - a lot of recent requests haven't been honored yet.

Xefas
2009-01-04, 06:57 PM
I have to return to my college soon, which brings both the obligation of continuing DMing my game there, and also the obligation of...well, school. In my game, the PCs are the (now grown) children of a deposing noble house.

Long story short, I need the fluff/history for two noble houses who will fight (either out in the open or with subterfuge) to fill the power vacuum left by the deposed one. The PCs will be around level 7 when they come in contact with them, so the fluff behind these houses shouldn't hint at them having very high level spells or monstrous allies.

Other than that, the only stipulations I have are that one of them needs to be Lawful Neutral inclined (though obviously there can be people within the house or sub-factions not of that alignment. Just on the whole) and the other one needs to be non-Chaotically inclined.

Bonus points if both houses use some kind of Golem or Construct based fighting force.

The setting is pretty high fantasy. Low level wizards are pretty common, artificers produce magic items for the rich, people know that dragons and giants exist (they aren't just fairytales) and religion is wide-spread (though Saint Cuthbert has a particularly strong hold in the country they're in).

The Neoclassic
2009-01-06, 11:11 AM
I have to return to my college soon, which brings both the obligation of continuing DMing my game there, and also the obligation of...well, school.

Yeah, I can entirely empathize with ya there. Let me know if the following needs any modification. I admit I am not the best in coming up with names, and the brief mention of stats assumes 3.5, but hopefully most of the other stuff will check out. If there's any other specific aspects of one or both houses you want fleshed out, I'd be delighted to do that as well.

Brothics:
A very old and well-respected family, the Brothics are very religious and place devotion to St. Cuthbert as one of their top priorities. Most of the city’s churches to him were to some extent financed by this family. The general public and other nobles tend to perceive them as generous towards the church and penny-pinchers in most everything else, a fairly accurate representation of the family’s budgeting choices.

Deeming melee combat to be the most honorable form of settling one’s disputes (after diplomacy has been ruled out, of course), the Brothics play a heavy emphasis on skilled use of the mace. It is not widely known, but the noble house’s few wizards place their focus on building constructs, usually semi-humanoid, of medium size, and powered by air elemental spirits captured inside their mostly hollow metal build. These constructs currently only guard little-known and important vaults and other secret places, but given an imminent conflict, it would not be surprising to the Brothics finding new uses for them.

The Brothics tend towards LN. Their current leader is Lord Morvid Brothic the Devout (LN male human fighter 7/cleric 3). They prefer not to hire or work with outsiders unless they are in serious need and said outsiders come with a recommendation from a priest of St. Cuthbert.

Suncrafts:
Ennobled just six generations back, the Suncrafts never left their original business of the trade of minor magic items. Practical magic is much valued amongst nobles from this house, though skills in business and persuasion tend to come first (most members are therefore aristocrat/wizard, or aristocrat/rogue). The young adult nobles of this house have a particular reputation for being upstart and proud; after a few years on a loose leash though, nearly all end up productive, loyal members of the house with most of their desire for power and to have their say now targeted at external forces.

The Suncrafts have little fondness for animals or nature, though it’s not any particular grudge nor an active desire to interfere with either. Rather, some members retain their seasonal homes in another, quieter city rather than in the countryside. Enchanted clockwork companions substitute for animal companions for the house’s wizards. Except in extraordinary circumstances, these companions are not available to those outside the house; the details of creating them and binding them to one’s self as a familiar are a closely guarded secret.

The Suncrafts tend towards TN. Their current leader is Lord Argus Suncraft the Guarded (TN male human aristocrat 6/wizard 5). They are quick to work with those outside the family when there are possible benefits involved, but slow to trust.

Xefas
2009-01-06, 10:57 PM
That's exactly what I needed. Thank you so much.

Jayngfet
2009-01-11, 05:43 AM
I never got around to tiger spiders. Psionic spiders living in cold area's. They grow to horse size. One type can lift things with its mind( infinite mage hand/ 3/day telekenesis?) Another has mind affecting SLA's. 3.5 please. Thanks in advance

The Neoclassic
2009-01-11, 11:17 AM
I never got around to tiger spiders. Psionic spiders living in cold area's. They grow to horse size. One type can lift things with its mind( infinite mage hand/ 3/day telekenesis?) Another has mind affecting SLA's. 3.5 please. Thanks in advance

I shall get right on it! Is there any approximate CR that you want these creatures?

Jayngfet
2009-01-11, 10:14 PM
Low CR, two or three, maybe four. They wouldn't be able to grip anything with hands and they'd no doubt have a low CHA, if it helps.

ErrantX
2009-01-13, 06:01 AM
Hey Queenfange, I'm a time-crunched DM in need of a little assistance. I'm trying to work up a big bad for my campaign currently, and I know what I want him to be, but as I'm time-crunched between work, family, and other obligations, I don't have the time to bring this guy the stats he rightfully deserves.

First off, I'm using Tome of Battle IMC, and I'd like to use a couple of very good homebrew prestige classes from our fellow playgrounder Krimm Blackleaf. My villian is for an Eberron game, and is known as Xionn Fellblade, a powerful rakshasa who serves a potent rajah as his primary minion/vassal. He'll use the elite array, and as he's meant to take on a party of 6 by more or less his lonesome when they get to him relatively soon, I'm thinking he should also be gestalt. CR is not an issue. He's kind of the big bad, and if I have to, I can adjust him as needed.

He is a male rakshasa eldritch knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57794) 10 // warblade 7/unmasked fiend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76956) 10

No worries about maneuvers or magic goodies, nor the Unmasked Fiend's release abilities (though I happily accept suggestions). But if you could help me out with that, I'd appreciate it. His spirit weapon is a greatsword.

Thanks in advance, I know this is a huge undertaking!

-X

The Neoclassic
2009-01-13, 01:21 PM
Low CR, two or three, maybe four. They wouldn't be able to grip anything with hands and they'd no doubt have a low CHA, if it helps.

Well, I've got a draft of the first type for you! They're based off of monstrous spiders (with sensible changes, of course). This is my first time making a psionic monster, and I am absolutely open to any constructive criticism to fix them up if they are not up to snuff! Also, you said for the second, mind-affecting "SLA"s? What precisely are SLAs (sorry; I am not so good with all abbreviations)? Without further ado:

Tiger Spider
Large Abberation (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (27 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Web
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., cold resistance 5
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +12, Hide +8, Spot +10
Feats: Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Any cold
Organization: Solitary or colony (2–5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 6–8 HD (Large)

Tiger spiders look quite similar to large monstrous spiders, though their markings, white stripes on a pale blue body, are distinctive. Like spiders, they lack any way to grasp objects due to the build of their legs, but they do possess some rudimentary intelligence.

Web (Ex): Tiger spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size. Tiger spiders can throw a web four times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC 13) or burst it with a Strength check (DC 17). The check DCs are Constitution-based, and the Strength check DC includes a +4 racial bonus.
Tiger spiders often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 12 hit points, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/—.
A monstrous spider can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
Tremorsense (Ex): A tiger spider can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the spider’s webs.

Skills: Tiger spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Climb and Spot checks, as well as a +6 to Hide checks in snowy areas. A tiger spider can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Psi-Like Abilities: At will—far hand; 3/day—telekinetic force (DC 13). Manifester level 3rd. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Hey Queenfange, I'm a time-crunched DM in need of a little assistance. I'm trying to work up a big bad for my campaign currently, and I know what I want him to be, but as I'm time-crunched between work, family, and other obligations, I don't have the time to bring this guy the stats he rightfully deserves.

First off, I'm using Tome of Battle IMC, and I'd like to use a couple of very good homebrew prestige classes from our fellow playgrounder Krimm Blackleaf. My villian is for an Eberron game, and is known as Xionn Fellblade, a powerful rakshasa who serves a potent rajah as his primary minion/vassal. He'll use the elite array, and as he's meant to take on a party of 6 by more or less his lonesome when they get to him relatively soon, I'm thinking he should also be gestalt. CR is not an issue. He's kind of the big bad, and if I have to, I can adjust him as needed.

He is a male rakshasa eldritch knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57794) 10 // warblade 7/unmasked fiend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76956) 10

No worries about maneuvers or magic goodies, nor the Unmasked Fiend's release abilities (though I happily accept suggestions). But if you could help me out with that, I'd appreciate it. His spirit weapon is a greatsword.

Thanks in advance, I know this is a huge undertaking!

-X

This one may take a few days, I readily admit, but if you can wait for that long, I will certainly take up the challenge! I do not have Tome of Battle nor Eberron books (sadly), but I will do my best (and probably see if I can try to borrow those books from a friend :smallwink:). Chances are once I get started on him, I'll have a few more questions, which I shall post here or PM to you (whichever you prefer).

ErrantX
2009-01-13, 06:10 PM
This one may take a few days, I readily admit, but if you can wait for that long, I will certainly take up the challenge! I do not have Tome of Battle nor Eberron books (sadly), but I will do my best (and probably see if I can try to borrow those books from a friend :smallwink:). Chances are once I get started on him, I'll have a few more questions, which I shall post here or PM to you (whichever you prefer).

Understandable, and if you have questions or whatever, PM me with them and I'd be happy to answer them. You shouldn't need any Eberron specific books, mostly just a Monster Manual, a PHB/Unearthed Arcana (or the d20srd works too), a Tome of Battle, and those classes I linked to you, and whatever else suits your fancy. As I sold my soul to Wizards of the Coast during the 3.5 days, I have pretty well every 3.5 book known to man so I sometimes I take for granted that people may not have the same books I do :D

Thank you!
-X

Tar Palantir
2009-01-14, 08:57 PM
I'm working on my new campaign setting, and I'd like a bit of help with my pantheon. The main premise of the world is that the two creator gods, the Maker and the Seemer, brought reality into existence by infusing their essence into the world, and it is this essence that fuels spellcasting. Spellcasters are attuned to either the Maker or the Seemer, and have access to either evocation, conjuration, transmutation, and divination or illusion, enchantment, necromancy, and abjuration respectively.

The current gods, and the source of clerics' powers, are divided into two groups. The first are primal forces of the world, all neutral on good vs. evil: Fate (LN), Death (N), and Chance (CN). The others are all ascended mortals, of the campaign's player races: human, gnome, aasimar, goliath, and necropolitan, but I've got no further than that on them. I'd like at least one for each remaining alignment, and more if possible, as well as domains, holy symbols, etc. for them and the other three. Please PM me if you want any more information on the setting, and PM me the final result (I'm terrible about checking anything but my PM box :smallredface:). Thanks in advance.

P.S. Here's some of the relevant setting info, in addition to what I've already said:

No Inner or Outer Planes except Astral Plane, where the gods live

No Int. based casting

Available classes: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Barbarian, Bard, Sorcerer, Cleric, Favored Soul, Paladin

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 01:00 PM
OK, first off, sorry I’ve been a little flaky here. ErrantX, when do you need that NPC by? It’s taking a while, I admit; my sincere apologies.

Tar Palantir: I shall keep corresponding with you via PM. :smallsmile:

togapika
2009-01-20, 01:16 PM
How about a prestige class for characters who build and ride around in suits of power armor? (Gnomes especially come to mind)

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-20, 01:58 PM
Please stat the Lady of Pain. And then Good, Evil, Law and Chaos. They should each be about CR 100. If that doesn't kill your winter break, I don't know what will. :smallbiggrin:

TS

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-20, 02:26 PM
If you'd be so kind, I'd like someone to look over this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102676) and help me out with the abilities. Actually, if anyone would be so kind, really.

ericgrau
2009-01-20, 08:26 PM
Subscribed. I tend to be good at crunch but I'm worried about fluff. I'll give ya a buzz if I need something later.

ErrantX
2009-01-20, 09:33 PM
OK, first off, sorry I’ve been a little flaky here. ErrantX, when do you need that NPC by? It’s taking a while, I admit; my sincere apologies.

No worries. If it's not something you can feasibly do by Friday, then I can buckle down and do it myself this Saturday, I would have needed it this past weekend but we ended up calling the game on account of anniversary and early spring cleaning.

-X