PDA

View Full Version : I cracked Haley's code!!!! [contains spoilers]

Awesome Person
2009-01-04, 04:20 PM
I figured out the code! (when Haley could'nt talk remember?) a is g. b is h etc....

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-01-04, 04:24 PM
It's different in every strip, and there's a full translation thread already.

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-04, 04:25 PM
1. All the codes have already been decoded.
2. Rich used a different Key every strip. Compare her last word in #392 and her first in #393. They're both "Nale".

Trizap
2009-01-04, 04:28 PM
hi, welcome to Already Done.

Awesome Person
2009-01-04, 04:47 PM
Well, Sorry!

Optimystik
2009-01-04, 04:48 PM
*pulls up chair*
*grabs popcorn*

Jahkaivah
2009-01-04, 04:54 PM
Well this thread put a smile on my face :smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-04, 04:58 PM
It's different in every strip, and there's a full translation thread already.

That may be true, but you could have done the world a service by providing a link to it rather than just bursting AP's sense of achievement.

I will be back once I have something to link to.

Zeitgeist
2009-01-04, 05:09 PM
I remember when these were being cracked. I didn't bother because I knew by the time I figured them out, somebody would have posted it.

Actually, I think I started reading the forums at that time specifically because I wanted to get the codes without the hassle.

NerfTW
2009-01-04, 05:10 PM
The fact that AP thought they were the first person to figure this out in three years is a bit hilarious in itself.

Moriarty
2009-01-04, 05:17 PM
That may be true, but you could have done the world a service by providing a link to it rather than just bursting AP's sense of achievement.

I will be back once I have something to link to.

just google "what haley said"

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-04, 05:41 PM
I said I'd be back- extensive translation thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909).

Hope that helps.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-04, 05:43 PM
Hello very late the game awesome(?) person

Cizak
2009-01-04, 06:34 PM
May I suggest that you read this thread?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909

Euron
2009-01-04, 08:29 PM
http://snappedshot.com/uploads/Parody/slowpoke-pokemon.gif

Hey guys, I heard you needed a code cracked??

Mando Knight
2009-01-04, 08:44 PM
Alternatively, the translations are also in the dead-tree editions, along with extra Haley-grams.

DrivinAllNight
2009-01-05, 12:30 AM
Well, Sorry!

I wouldn't be too sorry, as a Pixie in the Playground your still new, and since you figured out one strip of :haley: speak, that makes you much farther than those who simply chose to wait for the translation to come out at the time. And since the :haley: speaks threads are long since buried it is easy to not know it was done already. Same thing goes for the :vaarsuvius: gender threads, after awhile, someone posts a new thread that says they know :vaarsuvius:'s gender and then the Forum dogs pounce on them like they did you. So in short, ignore those who un-constructively criticize, since there will always be those who do so.
Peace :)

Robert Paulson
2009-01-05, 03:05 PM
I figured out the code! (when Haley could'nt talk remember?) a is g. b is h etc....

Welcome to the internet. Since you clearly have a brain that can be used for tasks other than correcting spelling errors and feigning superiority to n00bz, I would also like to mention that it has been nice knowing you. :smallsmile:

Pepz
2009-01-05, 05:53 PM
right, Awesome Person, I think 90% of the people here, when they were pixies, will have posted some amazing revelation or wonderful speculation, to which the older posters indeed pounced like hungry puma's because they've seen any of those threads at least a 100 times before.

Just one tip before I leave this amazingly useless advice to the internet to absorb, never, ever post a Miko thread. Nothing good will come from it.

Nothing.

Enough people will pounce you that there won't even been any part of you left to harvest.

Adieu.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-05, 06:30 PM
When will people learn that everything has already been accomplished?

Flame of Anor
2009-01-05, 06:35 PM
Well, at least "I know what Haley is saying!" threads are not quite as common and rehashed as "WAKE UP SHEEPLE VRASIVUIOOS GENDER IS OBVIUOS!!!!1!" threads.

Linkavitch
2009-01-05, 08:07 PM
*pulls up chair*
*grabs popcorn*

*joins in*
*brings Snickers bars*
*feasts*

(but seriously, this is kinda funny.)

Carteeg_Struve
2009-01-06, 10:54 AM
*joins in*
*brings Snickers bars*
*feasts*

(but seriously, this is kinda funny.)

*unfolds lawn chair*
*holds out big bowl*
"Nacho Doritos, anyone?"

Keshay
2009-01-06, 12:06 PM

Wait a minute... ITS A CODE!!! I thought she was just talking gibberish:smalltongue:

Kish
2009-01-06, 01:22 PM
I wonder if there really is a strip in which Haley's code is as simple as "advance each letter seven places in the alphabet"--and if so, which strip it is.

David Argall
2009-01-06, 04:15 PM
It's likely all of them were advancement codes. Our OP apparently found one. And they would be easier codes to put into the comic. I have never bothered to check after finding the code for one page did not work on the others.

Burrito
2009-01-06, 04:37 PM
You are an awesome person, for you did what probably less than .02% of the people on these boards did.

Faramir
2009-01-06, 04:44 PM
I remember when these were being cracked. I didn't bother because I knew by the time I figured them out, somebody would have posted it.

Actually, I think I started reading the forums at that time specifically because I wanted to get the codes without the hassle.

Me too. I remember thinking, "Hmmm, someone must have done this already. why don't I check the forum link and see if there's a thread?"

teratorn
2009-01-06, 05:36 PM

Hey, stop making nasty remarks at AP. I just found out how dumb I am. :smallfrown:

Thanks AP, you're really awesome. I decoded all of them at the time, but never noted they were simply advancement codes. Are all of them like that?

Taekwondodo
2009-01-07, 07:04 AM
The fact they went to the trouble to decode Hailey's cryptograms is an achievment in its self. When the strips first came out I only decoded the one where she was trying out secrets (you know in the resteraunt with Elan) but when I found all the other strips were different I gave up.

Tass
2009-01-07, 09:04 AM
No, they where not all advancement codes. Often the code would spell something out.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-07, 09:21 AM
No, they where not all advancement codes. Often the code would spell something out.

How often and which ones? I've read somewhere that the first code was "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog..." but I assumed that the rest were just random, with the random transcription error to trip over.

Still, advancing by a set number can allow for much shorter codes to be quickly broken, if you know the set point.

Roderick_BR
2009-01-07, 09:32 AM
{Scrubbed}

teratorn
2009-01-07, 09:33 AM

Interesting, the thing was so easy that I never cared to check the rule used. I'll look again at a few of them.

If a mod is watching this, please lock this show of immaturity, thank you.

You're overreacting. Some posters were annoying, but the thread may in fact have some interest. At least it prompted me to look back at the thing.

EDIT: I just checked a few of them. No spellings, no advancement codes. I was surprised I hadn't noticed. At least the first ones seem more or less random.

strayth
2009-01-07, 10:15 AM
Hold on. Am I to understand Haley is a girl?!

kopout
2009-01-07, 09:53 PM
Hold on. Am I to understand Haley is a girl?!

No,no she isn't

Assassin89
2009-01-07, 10:09 PM
*Stabs the two who do not think Haley is a girl*

I do not care whether sarcasm is a factor, but this particular thread is meant to discuss the translations of Haley's gibberish within the comic.

Lissou
2009-01-07, 10:23 PM
I think 3 of them spelled out something, if I remember correctly. These 3 are ones in which she speaks a lot.

I think the one when she eats with Elan is one of them. And the last one ever spells "Haley's last cryptogram" (minus some letters) or something, with then (seemingly) random letters added in the end.

Basically, strips in which Haley speaks a lot have a sentence as a key, the others don't seem to, but it's hard to tell when you only ever see 5 or 6 different letters before the code changes again.

Also, congrats to the OP. It's good that you cracked the good, it's a nice personal accomplishment.
I do think it is a bit foolish to think that in... what was it, three years now? nobody else had ever cracked any of her codes. Especially considering the high amount of geeks and nerds on the Internet, many of which won't let something go until they have resolved it.

At least you didn't post saying "please give me all translations for Haley stuff, I want to know what she said but I'm not going to be bothered trying to figure it out myself".
These people get annoying, especially since they obviously can't be bothered to google or search for a thread that would already contain all the solutions, either. It's very annoying to read people who are saying "I'm lazy. Be my slave and do stuff for me."

At least, you shared your discovery in case other people didn't know, and that's nice. So thanks.

Zeitgeist
2009-01-08, 01:45 AM
I was about to nail people for saying AP instead of OP when I realized that AP is actually an acronym for the OPs name. >.>

Theodoriph
2009-01-08, 02:06 AM
Huh...

Even after buying the books, I never actually bothered to link up the translations provided in the back of No Cure with the strips in questions.

I guess I'm just one of the few that never actually cared what she was saying. :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2009-01-08, 04:38 AM
{Scrubbed}

You seem stressed. Here, have some popcorn. :smallwink:

The Linker
2009-01-09, 11:39 PM
{Scrubbed}

I agree that some people overreacted about her being late, but I think you're overreacting as well. :smalleek: Not to mention, there were several people who were pleasant, and you're throwing them in with the other guys.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-01-10, 02:24 AM
{Scrubbed}

NO! Don't do that!!!

I don't quite see the insult fest going on. But I do remember when I first started reading through the archives and considered deciphering Haley's code. I eventually decided that it probably was just gibberish and if it wasn't somebody had already figured it out, so why bother?

I salute you, Awesome Person. If it weren't for people like you, lazy folks like me would have to figure these things out for themselves.

Assassin89
2009-01-10, 09:22 AM
{Scrubbed}

*stabs once for each comic that has cryptograms*
Complaining about an old issue is not recommended. Some have not read the earlier strips. In addition to the time spend reading the comics, it takes time to interpret the meaning of the cryptograms.

Coffee_Dragon
2009-01-10, 10:26 AM
Miko was a pretty awesome character before she came down with Plot-Required Craziness.

Beans
2009-01-10, 12:25 PM
Miko was a pretty awesome character before she came down with Plot-Required Craziness.
She was pretty cool in the fact that, while she was not a villain, she was still an antagonist.
Fiction needs more of that.

EDIT: Wait, what? Valid as your point may be, it's not at all related to the other posts. SJ, thank you for drawing my scattered attention to it.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-10, 12:31 PM
-What are you doing?

Rutskarn
2009-01-10, 12:38 PM
And take the time to fold the chairs back, and stuff them into your posteriors with all the popcorn. That joke is old and moldy by now.

A few things.

1.) No need to be testy. Those people weren't the ones who were insulting the OP, and there's no reason to react so harshly towards them.

2.) It's not so much a joke as internet slang for, "a fight's about to break out." Sometimes, it can even show other posters that they're overreacting, and need to chill out.

3.) Seriously, don't you go dissing the popcorn.

That is all.

KilltheToy
2009-01-10, 12:39 PM
*unfolds lawn chair*
*holds out big bowl*
"Nacho Doritos, anyone?"

Yes, please :smallsmile:.

*brings multiple six-packs of Coke and comfy chair*.

TengYt
2009-01-10, 12:46 PM
i think haelys a pretty cool guy. eh cracks a code and doesnt afraid of anything.

Dublock
2009-01-10, 01:23 PM
Huh...

Even after buying the books, I never actually bothered to link up the translations provided in the back of No Cure with the strips in questions.

I guess I'm just one of the few that never actually cared what she was saying. :smalltongue:

you and me both :smalltongue:

Athaniar
2009-01-10, 02:45 PM
While the OP may be both late and wrong, it is still admirable that she has actually shown an interest in solving one of the mysteries surrounding the comic (even if it was already solved), and as a Pixie, it's hard to know all things concerning this forum.

*starts munching on chocolate-covered nachos*
Disclaimer: I have never actually eaten chocolate-covered nachos, but if the opportunity presented itself, I wouldn't hesitate to try.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-10, 04:59 PM
We really should have a couple of stickied FAQs for this purpose.

Lira
2009-01-10, 05:05 PM
We really should have a couple of stickied FAQs for this purpose.The compilation of Haley's solved cryptograms already included in the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6496)... but I've found that people rarely read stickied topics anyways, so it doesn't really help much.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-11, 12:50 AM
Huh. Guess they are included.

I Give Up.

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 12:59 AM
Huh. Guess they are included.

I Give Up.

You should know by now that on any message board, stickying something is the #1 way to ensure it's never read. :smallbiggrin:

(Thanks Roland!)

I think this thread's run its course so I'll stop bumping it unless a topic emerges.