PDA

View Full Version : I can read white on white.

Highwarlord
2009-01-04, 05:58 PM
It's bizarre. This seems as clear to me as black-on-white. I have no idea how or when this happened, but apparently I can discern complete lack of contrast as easily as traditional contrasts!

Jack Squat
2009-01-04, 06:05 PM
It's bizarre. This seems as clear to me as black-on-white. I have no idea how or when this happened, but apparently I can discern complete lack of contrast as easily as traditional contrasts!

I can highlight text too. :smallwink:

Actually reading white on white (or black on black, or purple on purple or whatever) isn't possible on computers. If something's the same shade as it's surroundings, it may as well be it's surroundings.

Now, if you mean that you can read the imprint of writing on paper just as easily as if the ink was there, that's cool. I can read a lot of imprints, but it takes about as long as if I were reading my great-grandmother's cursive.

Neko Toast
2009-01-04, 06:06 PM
Either something's faulty with your computer, or you just have really good eyesight.

Collin152
2009-01-04, 06:16 PM
We've yet to consider the potential for magical ability or mutant powers.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-04, 06:18 PM
Certainly must make reading the forums easier! So many people are compulsive white texters. :smalltongue: I feel like I should put a message here, but I don't know what to say. Bees!

Berserk Monk
2009-01-04, 06:19 PM
Pretty clever. This is actually a great way to send secret messages using computers. Like a on paragraph will be text then there's a short line revealing the message:

*Paragraph*
*This part is in white so it looks like you skipped a line*
*Paragraph*

BRC
2009-01-04, 06:25 PM
We've yet to consider the potential for magical ability or mutant powers.

True. The question is, Magical Artifact, Genetic/Cybernetic Experiments, or Radiation of some kind.

Thufir
2009-01-04, 06:35 PM
One other possibility: While I don't like to mention it, it is possible he's just lying. We can't be sure over the internet.

Therefore, to test this properly, we must track him down in the real world! Internet stalkers, forward!
FOR SCIENCE!

memnarch
2009-01-04, 06:39 PM
Actually, an easy test would be to make some white text, take a screenshot, and upload the picture for the OP to try to read. Then we would know if he actually can read it or if he's just highlighting the text.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-04, 06:44 PM
Actually, some computers naturally make the white writing barely legible... not sure what it is. Anyhow, with some acute eyesight, even without hilighting it would be quite possible to read it. But it's the computer, not the person.

Flame of Anor
2009-01-04, 07:37 PM
Actually, some computers naturally make the white writing barely legible... not sure what it is. Anyhow, with some acute eyesight, even without hilighting it would be quite possible to read it. But it's the computer, not the person.

I'm ready to believe that there are computers that do display white text as barely legible grey. However, on the computers that I interact with on a daily basis, there is no amount of eyesight that could read white text. I have scrutinized the screen at close range, and there is absolutely no differentiation until you highlight it.

TRM
2009-01-04, 07:58 PM
If the text is actually white on white, you can't.

If, as other people have mentioned, your computer makes the white text a slightly different color from its surroundings, you might be able to. I will pat you on the back and say "Nice eyesight; if you're telling the truth, cool! :smallbiggrin: If not, meh."

de-trick
2009-01-04, 08:23 PM
I can read black writing, but not white text on computers cause it is impossible

thought id put white here again

Dragonrider
2009-01-04, 08:33 PM
We went over the white text thing in RB earlier today. :smalltongue: We determined that, when used excessively, it falls under the "annoying formatting" heading and should be avoided. :smallwink:

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-04, 08:46 PM
Personally, I find it more annoying if people type in colours that are close to white, but not quite it.

Your brain knows that it's there, then strains your eyes to see it.

Highwarlord
2009-01-04, 08:53 PM
Personally, I find it more annoying if people type in colours that are close to white, but not quite it.

Your brain knows that it's there, then strains your eyes to see it.

I believe that my computer does effectively this when white text is used. Except with white, it seems oddly easier to see.

RS14
2009-01-04, 09:04 PM
What browser do you use? I know with firefox there's a setting to force default colors and fonts for text and backgrounds. I figure yours might force a different color if the text is identical to the background color. Which is IMHO a bad idea. It's nonstandard, and I thus dislike the notion simply on principle, but I also imagine that it is possible to confuse the browser as to what color background falls behind text, and so cause the text to appear incorrectly.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-04, 09:10 PM
What sort of screen are you using? This calls for an experiment!

Get an extremely washed out image, one that you can barely make out. Then look at it from a very high angle to your screen - can you see it more easily now? Is it easy to see in the same way that your white-on-white is?

Highwarlord
2009-01-04, 11:26 PM
I use Google Chrome which, I've found after some little HTML experiments, does not change the color of text from what it is set. It's just these here forums.
The screen I'm using is the built in one in my Lenovo Ideapad U110.

Collin's suggestion seems most likely to be accurate.

Gray Jester
2009-01-04, 11:49 PM
Pretty clever. This is actually a great way to send secret messages using computers. Like a on paragraph will be text then there's a short line revealing the message:

*Paragraph*
*This part is in white so it looks like you skipped a line*
*Paragraph*

Your advanced stenography is no match for my magic highlighting mouse!But you knew that anyways.

Pyrian
2009-01-04, 11:52 PM
I can't see any difference between the white text and the white background, but when I take a screenshot into paint and then "fill" the white background with a different color, the text remains white.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-04, 11:59 PM
I vote we disect his brain. Why, you may ask? *runs away*

Khanderas
2009-01-05, 03:00 AM
One other possibility: While I don't like to mention it, it is possible he's just lying. We can't be sure over the internet.

Therefore, to test this properly, we must track him down in the real world! Internet stalkers, forward!
FOR SCIENCE!
Well I didn't want to hunt anyone down... but if its for science... *grabs a rifle and IP-tracker*

valadil
2009-01-05, 09:50 AM
Color names are variable. Color values are absolute. Some applications use a white that's actually a couple shades up from the whitest shade the screen can display. One of my terminal apps for instance uses a very light gray in place of white to reduce eye strain. That terminal's "white" on top of actual white (#ffffff) would be readable.

Lert, A.
2009-01-05, 05:06 PM
It happened to me a few times, but I'm sure it was my browser. A while later I was using another browser on the same computer and nothing. The goggles! They do nothing!

llamamushroom
2009-01-06, 12:01 AM
If you can read whitetext, read my avatar.

Please.

Sorry, it sounded too bitchy without at least an attempt at politeness.

Pyrian
2009-01-06, 02:21 AM
Looks like:

1D QUOD
POTEST

...Whatever the heck that means? :smallconfused:

_Zoot_
2009-01-06, 07:21 AM
Looks like we have alot of potential recruits here, good.

All hail the white text inquisition!

(look at my sig)

Player_Zero
2009-01-06, 07:27 AM
Read this:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4058/whige3.jpg

Hilarious isn't it?

KuReshtin
2009-01-06, 10:16 AM
Read this:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4058/whige3.jpg

Hilarious isn't it?

Awesome! Classic! Always cracks me up to read that..

Linkavitch
2009-01-06, 11:24 AM
True. The question is, Magical Artifact, Genetic/Cybernetic Experiments, or Radiation of some kind.

My vote is for radiation.

Raiser Blade
2009-01-06, 02:00 PM
No, no you can't..

ArlEammon
2009-01-06, 03:07 PM
Ughghghghghg MY EYES ARE BLEEDGING!

llamamushroom
2009-01-07, 01:41 AM
Read this:
It's an 'I', not a '1', and read my signature.
I'm not sure I want to. You'll clure in