PDA

View Full Version : Anauroch: Empire of Shade

Maerok
2009-01-04, 09:44 PM
Myth Drannor has again become a bustling place. Graceful spires rise above the treeline, and a few of the outlying structures on the forest floor appear to have been fully restored or replaced with newer buildings. Much of the city seems covered in tents - a testament to the number of troops stationed here these days. Tents of all sizes, shapes, and colors stand in most open spaces inside the city. Smoke rises from cookfires here and there, and some tent flaps stand open to reveal eateries, makeshift shops, and the workplaces of crafters. Armed patrols move through the restored streets and byways between tent rows and walk the perimeter of the city, keeping a sharp eye out for enemies.

It has been a troublesome journey so far; your dreams are laden with a call to a group of ruins deep within a wooded landscape. In your possession are five once identical rings, each weathered in their strange journey to your hand. And at your side are four other companions who are also caught up in the unknown circumstances behind your travels.

Blood_Lord
2009-01-05, 12:05 AM
Gardag

A beast walks amongst the men, an Inhuman creature, nearly seven feet tall, bone outgrowths abound, and his chest is covered in fur. In every gap, silver scales glint out. Most prominent of all, the four white covered arms growing out of his chest end in wicked talons.

Such a creature, hardly human at all, and yet, the words from it's mouth come clearly and with no trace of it's animalistic appearance.

Another one of these? Why do the callings always point to a city full of boring people? Can't we find a Tome in a Tomb, or a Shard in a Tower, or a Ring in a Grave? Why is it always a book in the Libraryof the big town?

Toliudar
2009-01-05, 01:38 AM
Visti de Agla

The diminuitive girl with the voice and eyes of a much older woman rides behind Gardag, on a sturdy broad-backed horse.. Her clothes are singularly inappropriate for the road - a tight-fitting black velvet dress that accentuates pale skin - but somehow, the dust of the road has yet to take its toll. The seven stars of mystra are embroidered over her left breast. A small dagger snug in her boot, but she is otherwise unarmed.

The journey had been a long one, and each of her companions had, at one point or another, seen another side of Visti - that of an elegant, silver-skinned woman of a more stately demeanour, dressed in simple, practical travelling clothes.

Visti smiles at Gardag's words, and glances knowingly at Tirk before responding to the silver lizard.

"I shouldn't worry overmuch, Gardag. I'm sure that there'll be some slavering beast just waiting to kill us around some bend in the road. In the meantime, I'm rather excited to see what might remain of the libraries of Myth Drannor."

Blood_Lord
2009-01-05, 11:18 AM
... before responding to the orc.

He's not an Orc, he's a Dragonborn.

Toliudar
2009-01-05, 12:09 PM
He's not an Orc, he's a Dragonborn.Then why does your character sheet say Dragonborn Water Orc?

Blood_Lord
2009-01-05, 12:42 PM
Then why does your character sheet say Dragonborn Water Orc?

Because Dragonborn is a template, that must be applied to a base race. However, it completely erases an orc nature, and only my general size remains the same. I look like a Lizardfolk, only more upright, more humanoid features, and with silver scales.

J-H
2009-01-05, 07:33 PM
Worff
Worff jogs or walks alongside the other members of the party, easily keeping pace thanks to his quick legs. The denser air at an altitude much lower than the Goliath was raised at provides plenty of fuel for the lungs expanding and contracting inside his barrel chest.

Maerok
2009-01-05, 09:28 PM
(How are you all traveling/approaching the encampment?)

Ahead of your group, along well-worn pathways are guard patrols. They seem at ease but their bows and swords are kept ready for the first sign of trouble.

J-H
2009-01-05, 11:45 PM
Worff
Worff continues towards the encampment on foot, his Glaive strapped vertical to the side of his pack, in reach but not in hand.

Blood_Lord
2009-01-06, 12:03 AM
Gardag refuses to ride any natural beast of burden, so unless someone provides him with a magical mount, he walks or flies under his own power (depending on the terrain). He has no apparent weapons other then his claws and teeth.

Toliudar
2009-01-06, 02:31 AM
Visti

Visti is riding a heavy warhorse.

Also, it's safe to assume that Visti has tried to use her Artificer's monocle and lore ability to learn what she can of the properties and provenance of their rings. Possibly relevant checks (making use of Divine Insight)

[roll0] Spellcraft
[roll1] Knowledge arcana
[roll2] knowledge religion
[roll3] Lore

Riding forward, Visti waves slowly to the patrol ahead. When they are within easy calling distance, she smiles and shouts out.

"Hello! Don't worry too much about our strange little group - we're mostly harmless. Any chance you know of a comfortable place to rest in Myth Drannor?

Toliudar
2009-01-06, 06:43 PM
And in case it's important, Diplomacy [roll0] to support what she's saying.

Ditto
2009-01-06, 08:25 PM
Tirk

As the group approached the patrol, Tirk sat up a tick straighter on her mount. Might as well look proper for the nice men. She pulled her cloak tight around her in the evening cool and eyed the tent city curiously as they rode on.

Maerok
2009-01-06, 10:34 PM
The patrol breaks into a hustle to meet up with you all before reaching the outer limits of the city. They get closer and it looks to be a patrol of moon elves.

"Halt! State your names and business in Myth Drannor!" says an authoritative voice. Two elves armed with swords and longbows accompanied by a wolf have appeared from somewhere within the throng. One of the elves holds a piece of parchment and a pen.

Lore/Knowledge checks:

Inscribed on the inner face of this non-descript silver band is the symbol of Windsong Tower: a harp surrounded by swirling winds. Windsong Tower was a wizard's school in Myth Drannor before the Weeping War. The students and faculty of Windsong Tower each possessed a ring known as a Windsong Tower ring. It is also able to enhance a wearer's ability to teleport.

Toliudar
2009-01-06, 11:22 PM
Visti

Visti looks over at Tirk again, as if to say You want to, or shall I.

The young woman turns back to the guards, raising her hands, palm out, to show that she is holding no weapon. She lets them drop back to the reins, to approach for a more comfortable conversation.

I am Visti de Agla, and these are my companions Tirk Also, Worff, and Gardag. I am here to see the Windsong Tower, or its ruins. And, more pressingly, a comfortable bed. If one is to be had.

Visti smiles. And waits.

Maerok
2009-01-07, 09:21 PM
The taller of the two well-armed elves among the crowd comes forth.

"The ruins? I have not been to them personally but I hear it's - hey!" A large black raven swooped under his arm and disappeared up into the trees as quickly as it had appeared. "Birds... Anyway, it's rather quiet around there and I'd appreciate it if any visitors would take care to keep it that way."

His companion chimed in over the rest of the crowd: "Welcome to Myth Drannor, by the way. There's a decent inn toward the center of the city, if you can manage your way through all the tents." He patted the wolf on the head absentmindedly and smiled back politely.

Toliudar
2009-01-10, 08:24 AM
Visti

Visti nods appreciatively.

"Gentlemen, you are most gracious. I'm sure the inn will suit our needs. The name or sign of the inn, sir?

"Oh, and you may wish to check through your belongings, sir. Some ravens are especially drawn to shiny objects, and it's possible that that raven was after something specific of yours."

Smiling back at her companions, Visti encourages them forward, towards the prospect of a reasonable night's rest.

Maerok
2009-01-10, 08:43 PM
The more upfront elf nods in appreciation. "Thanks for the tip. If I may suggest an inn: the Journeyman's Throne. It is perhaps the largest complex of tents around here, in the center of town." He held up an arm to his comrades and they moved further down the road.

(Going to the inn?)

J-H
2009-01-10, 10:01 PM
Worff
The Goliath starts moving towards the inn. "We should reserve our places for the night, and then start looking around for...whatever we're looking for."

Blood_Lord
2009-01-10, 10:12 PM
Gardag

Meh, I know where you are staying. I'll find a nice quite place under the sky to rest. Meet you in the morning.

The Beast shuffles off, an occasional flap of his wings aiding in his trip out to the perimeter of the camp.

Toliudar
2009-01-11, 11:20 PM
Visti

Visti smiles at Gardag.

See you at the morning, then.

She sets off after Worff towards the Journeyman's Throne.

Maerok
2009-01-12, 07:32 PM
Supported between four medium trees set in a large square is the Journeyman's Throne. No expenses were spared in the construction of this multi-level feat of tent engineering: it rises three stories into the air as an elaborate work of tastefully treated canvas with windows set at appropriate intervals.

The general hustle and bustle of the tented town has naturally worked its way down over the day and the various flaps and folds of the encampment are slowly drawn shut after a long afternoon of relative normalcy. The occasional guard patrol strolls by now and again.

J-H
2009-01-12, 07:44 PM
Worff
Worff looks around, and asks a likely-looking individual if there's anywhere he can buy scrolls or supplies at... and where he can find more information about any goings-on at any ruins or archaeological digs.

He then goes into the inn, buys dinner, and gets a room for the night. In the common area, he'll listen for anything that might have a bearing on his situation.

Cost = negligible or ?
[roll0]

Maerok
2009-01-12, 08:31 PM
For scrolls and supplies, Worff is directed to the Mage's Center and the Armory, not too far away by the garrisons to the east. Both are stocked modestly with basic equipment though a few notable pieces do come by every once in a while.

The ruins themselves are rarely bothered with. An odd tourist or two might venture through Myth Drannor every so often but they've long lost their presence of intrigue among the locals. What remains of the ruins is locked up tight, and no one has been able to manage a way in.

Chatter around the inn has mostly been about Worff (and the others as they arrive).

Toliudar
2009-01-13, 10:30 AM
Visti

At the inn, Visti will arrange rooms, and ask after any shrine or notable servants of Mystra in the city, as well (of course) as any particular news or gossip.

After that, she will visit any enclave or high-profile servants of Mystra, then return to the inn to invite Worff and Tirk to join her on a stroll around the city.

Diplomacy as needed: [roll0]
The stroll is intended to gain an understanding of the layout and current state of affairs in Myth Drannor. As a bonus, she's also checking around for any spellcasting going on, using her ring of Spell Battle.

Maerok
2009-01-13, 10:58 PM
Gossip among long-standing followers of Mystra in the area has recently become fiercely guarded. Even Visti is unable to get any hard facts other than instructions to come back in the afternoon once they have consulted with the leading priest about her presence.

It's currently night, but the streets are open.

-----

From where Gardag has picked his spot, he can feel something dropping onto his head again and again.

Blood_Lord
2009-01-13, 11:51 PM
Gardag

Gardag will pick another spot.

Toliudar
2009-01-14, 10:40 AM
Visti

So, we can assume that we've managed to wander through most of the city by dark? Not in a "poke into every byway" way, but enough to know where the landmarks are, and get a sense of how people are acting there?

If so, I'm good to fast forward to morning.

Relaxing with Worff and Tirk in the inn that evening, Visti relaxes a bit, revealing anecdotes from her service to Mystra that suggest that such service has gone back decades, not years.

Maerok
2009-01-14, 10:05 PM
Gardag is once again pelted with small objects. And this time it turns out to be daggers from a big black raven high above. The blades thump into the ground around him and a moment later, with a squawk, the creature flies back toward the town.

From the window of the inn comes a rather abrupt squawking noise as the large bird from before settles precariously on the window sill.

Blood_Lord
2009-01-15, 03:41 AM
Gardag

Gardag will leap into the air, flying after the bird.

Ditto
2009-01-15, 10:24 PM
Tirk

Tirk also takes a chance to wander around the area, scoping out the locality of the ruins in particular. Since it was the site that haunted their dreams with fearful regularity, she'd like to get at it with all due haste. On her circuit of ruins, Tirk keeps an eye out for what guards, barriers, or abjurations might eventually prevent them from entering.

Tirk has Arcane Sight for her looking arounding, btw.

Maerok
2009-01-15, 11:08 PM
From a distance, the site appears rather 'normal'. But at a close range the area surrounding the trees seem to give off an aura of magic. The remains of one tower and the two tree-based buildings give off the slightest traces of magical auras. Divination, illusion, and abjuration are the most prominent traces of magic detectable though they are also being masked by forgotten arts of elven mages.

At her approach a light (a daylight spell) begins to shine from a tile suspended a foot over the rubble. The tile itself is carved with a few runes and radiates conjuration magic. Other than that, there is little left of what was once here.

These are the remains of the legendary Windsong Tower. To the north and south of this mess are huge towers of three to four stories built outward from two ancient trees.

One of these buildings is rather sound and the foliage of the tree obscures the roof. The other is severely damaged with the roof in disrepair and the holes riddled throughout the walls.

-----------

Meanwhile...

The raven begins to speak to you all. Gardag is able to catch up in time.

"So you want to know about the ruins?", says the bird. "Myth Drannor is a place of secrets, and some secrets can kill - when you don't know them. Meet my mistress, Keevosen Nihili, at the Blackthorn Hunting Lodge at midnight." With a final squawk it turns its head and takes off above the inn.

Toliudar
2009-01-16, 01:28 AM
Visti

At the ruins of the Tower, Visti is intrigued by the floating, glowing tile. Sliding a platinum-rimmed monocle over her left eye, She examines it carefully for a long moment.

Using her Artificer's monocle to analyze its properties. Spellcraft [roll0]

--

The raven's arrival at the hotel room, followed by Gardag, causes Visti to sit up sharply. She considers asking Gardag to grab the enigmatic messenger, but sees little point in it. After it goes, she looks around at the other three.

Well, clearly this could be a trap. But we are here for ideas. This would be a possible start. Shall we?

Lore check on Keevosen Nihili [roll1]

J-H
2009-01-16, 07:13 PM
Worff
"Midnight? Interesting choice of time...ominous. Does anyone recognize her name?"
Waiting on lore check result... oh, and do we have an OOC thread?

Maerok
2009-01-16, 10:33 PM
(OOC: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5653935)

(Where's Visti? She seems to be in two places at once? Because only Tirk is there I believe.)

Toliudar
2009-01-17, 12:49 AM
In post 25, I specified a stroll around the town to orient myself, inviting Tink to join me. Since Tink did essentially the same thing, it didn't seem unreasonable to assume that either we were travelling together, or that we had independently come upon the same ruins - the ruins that are, after all, our destination, as far as Visti knows.

However, if you really don't want Visti to get there till tomorrow, I'll wait and do the same thing then.

Maerok
2009-01-18, 03:38 AM
(Yeah, it'd probably be best to stay grouped up at the inn. Wasn't sure of what was up with that.)

Lore Check: There isn't much past knowledge on Keevosen Nihili; from stories around the town she appeared a while ago and helped clear out monsters that had begun to gather when Myth Drannor had fallen into a disheveled state for a while due to conflict.

J-H
2009-01-19, 08:24 AM
Worff
"Doesn't sound too bad...I say we go. It's a lead."

Toliudar
2009-01-20, 11:06 AM
Visti

Since her companions seemed to be in no mood for further discussion, Visti waits with them, trading tall tales until nearly midnight, when they set out for the appointed lodge. Outside, she paused to offer up a prayer to Mystra before entering the Blackthorn.

Casting Divine Insight and Invisibility Purge, making no effort to conceal her casting.

Ditto
2009-01-20, 08:50 PM
Tirk

The slight woman merely nods at Visti's suggestion, figuring any lead was more than nothing. Gardag's point of 'It could be a trap' is always a solid bet, but she had little concern for that until she had some idea of what she was doing in this place to begin with, much less who could care about capture or plot. They were an extremely capable group, and she worried not in the least.

Merrily she'll stroll along beside Visti as midnight arrives, and likewise enters to lodge.

Maerok
2009-01-22, 11:59 AM
(going to be really busy for the next few days)

Maerok
2009-01-27, 09:46 PM
Blackthorn Lodge has seen far better days. As it stands now much decay has set in over the years but it appears rather sturdy. The doors grind open slowly and only a bit of moonlight illuminates the interior.

Opposite the double doors is a stone fireplace with a long table to the left and right. On one side of the wall are mounted wolves heads.

(Spot and Listen checks)

J-H
2009-01-27, 11:30 PM
Worff
The Goliath studies his surroundings, using his magical training to seek out evidence of any potentially threatening or unusual enchantments.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Arcane Attunement gives 5x/day use of several cantrips. One of these is Detect Magic. He will cast it and attempt to study anything that could be threatening, unusual, loot, or otherwise interesting.

Toliudar
2009-01-28, 04:20 PM
Visti

Inside, Visti waits for the others, and for her eyes to adjust to the dim light. With a simple gesture, there is a brief stirring of wind, and a translucent shape appears, floating in the air next to her. She leans in to whisper to it

For those who speak auran:
"Go, take a look around wherever you can go inside the lodge and report back to me. Don't approach or attack anyone, no matter what."

She turns to the others.

"I'd like Felix to take a quick peek around, just in case. I think I'm getting paranoid in my, ah, second youth."

Visti spot: [roll0]
Visti listen: [roll1]
Using her Summon Elemental feat to bring in a medium-sized air elemental. Not sure what other exits there are from the room, but the idea is that the elemental will zip around, get a general lay of the land without opening any doors, and report back.

Elemental spot: [roll2]
Elemental listen: [roll3]

Ditto
2009-01-29, 10:10 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Arcane Sight is still in effect, too.

Toliudar
2009-01-30, 05:19 AM
Visti

Since it seemed likely that the hospitality of Blackthorn lodge seemed likely to be lacking, Visti pulled a delicate china teapot out of her pack.

"Anyone for some tea? I brewed a pot just before we left the inn."

J-H
2009-02-08, 10:03 AM
Worff
The goliath looks around in puzzlement.

"Anybody....home?"

Toliudar
2009-02-08, 04:20 PM
Seems like Maerok is posting plenty elsewhere, so I'm guessing he's just abandoned this game and not told us. Sorry, folks.