PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Isamu

mellifluous
2009-01-05, 01:24 AM
Hey all! We all know that Haley is from Greysky and we extrapolate from the box labeled "IMPORTED from Greysky City" in comic 514 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) that Isamu is probably also from Greysky. My question is: do we know or can we reasonably guess anything else about Isamu? Since the Giant saw fit to foreshadow revelations about Haley's hometown in that strip, it stands to reason that sooner or later we will learn more about Isamu and his activities in Greysky. It is also possible that those activities will have a not insignificant bearing on the plot. Or maybe I can't see the forest for the epileptic trees (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees?from=Main.EpilepticTree).

If this topic has been discussed before, could someone please give a link? ktnx

BRC
2009-01-05, 01:36 AM
Um... Because they both happened to hide in a box that said "Imported from Greysky" you assume that Isamu must be from Greysky? That's Kind of a stretch. I'd say these here trees are mighty epileptic.

Zevox
2009-01-05, 01:45 AM
Hey all! We all know that Haley is from Greysky and we extrapolate from the box labeled "IMPORTED from Greysky City" in comic 514 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) that Isamu is probably also from Greysky.
Say what now?

This is terrible logic. Why on earth does hiding in a box labeled "imported from Greysky City" indicate Isamu is from Greysky? There's no connection there at all. It's not as though people only hide in boxes from their home towns or something. The only thing that box tells us is that it's possible that Greysky and the Goblin-controlled Azure City are already trading with one another, and even that isn't definitive since it could just be a leftover box from before the city fell.

Zevox

derfenrirwolv
2009-01-05, 02:41 AM
Its meta logic. Since the obvious "the contents of the box say they're from greysky city" having the person hiding in it hail from there as well would be funny.

However, considering the eastern sounding name i think its more likely he's a native azurite

hmmm.. i wonder if celia can get trade with azure city closed down...

Optimystik
2009-01-05, 02:57 AM
In OotS-land, Eastern-sounding names indicate the person is from the South. (Kubota, Hinjo, Daigo, etc.) Greysky is not a Southern city, so Isamu is very unlikely to be from there.

factotum
2009-01-05, 03:18 AM
Its meta logic. Since the obvious "the contents of the box say they're from greysky city" having the person hiding in it hail from there as well would be funny.

Which would be Haley, not Isamu--Haley is obviously from Greysky considering her dad ran the Thieves' Guild there for some time! Isamu is not relevant to the gag.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-01-05, 03:24 AM
If this topic has been discussed before, could someone please give a link? ktnx

No, I don't even thing I've made that big a jump in logic before.

David Argall
2009-01-05, 07:42 PM
Focus on Niu and Thant. They have a future in this story and some backstory might be of interest. Isamu is gone and had only a bit part anyway. There just aren't any hints that he has anything of interest for us.

Optimystik
2009-01-05, 10:22 PM
I'm looking also at Hinjo and Lien. They'd make quite the couple, methinks. :smallbiggrin:

Cizak
2009-01-06, 01:41 PM
What??? Just because he's hiding in a box that has the name "Greysky city" on it you say he has to be from Greysky? Wow, and I've always considered my logic to be bad...

evileeyore
2009-01-06, 08:04 PM
Hey all! We all know that Haley is from Greysky and we extrapolate from the box labeled "IMPORTED from Greysky City" in comic 514 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) that Isamu is probably also from Greysky. My question is: do we know or can we reasonably guess anything else about Isamu?

That is a bold logical track.

Probably horribly incorrect, but still bold.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-01-07, 01:34 AM
In the same strip, there's a box that says Gouda: Product of Cliffport.

Gouda is a cheese.
Cheese is also used to refer to game-breaking munchkinry.
Julia is in Cliffport (and the Greenhilts might be from there).

By this logic, this is foreshadowing that Julia has used some obscure twinkery to make herself powerful at low level and capable of taking on Tsukiko, Redcloak, and Xykon.

If Roy is also from Cliffport, this probably means his new feat will be the bit of Power Gaming that lets him fight an epic level lich sorceror and his cleric cohort.

Surprise!
2009-01-07, 02:11 AM
Isamu's job was to provide a Sap to Haley, and then chase her. It ends there I am very certain.

Shatteredtower
2009-01-09, 12:51 AM
I'm looking also at Hinjo and Lien. They'd make quite the couple, methinks. :smallbiggrin:

That assumes Hinjo isn't either asexual or gay.

Optimystik
2009-01-09, 01:31 AM
That assumes Hinjo isn't either asexual or gay.

At the risk of sounding cliché, it's usually innocent until proven guilty as far as that is concerned.

I certainly wouldn't complain at the comic getting a gay character, though.