PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a sociology major

pendell
2009-01-05, 01:58 PM
So I have a family friend who just recently graduated from college with a BS in sociology and is looking for work.

What exactly could one do with such a degree? Besides teach?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-05, 02:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA sociology. :smalltongue:
Pretty much anyone can get a job with the federal government, no matter their major.

pendell
2009-01-05, 02:32 PM
Which branch of the fedgov? Do you mean taking the OPM test and getting hired as GS-5/7 or whatever the rate is these days?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

potatocubed
2009-01-05, 02:42 PM
Here's some broad advice for people with useless degrees: forget the degree, apply to whatever you feel like doing. You'll get an entry-level job, which is dreadful, but it's the job experience and skills you get there that'll set you up for the desirable jobs further up the pyramid.

Or, to put it another way, don't think of your degree as a straitjacket that limits your options; think of it as a thing you did, then move on to the next thing you're going to do.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-05, 02:43 PM
That is indeed what I mean.

Oregano
2009-01-05, 03:03 PM
Hehe a BS in Sociology.:smallwink:

thubby
2009-01-05, 03:46 PM
anything you want. something like 70% of people work in an area outside the scope of their degree.

three08
2009-01-05, 04:03 PM
also, if in the united states, the 2010 census is starting up and needs to hire some couple thousand people on and off for a variety of jobs for the next two years. not steady work maybe, but the pay is good and the hours are flexible and it's probably not hard to get for the short term.

Flame of Anor
2009-01-05, 06:26 PM
Hehe a BS in Sociology.:smallwink:

I think your friend will find that there's a lot of BS in Sociology. Such as, "This degree will be useful."

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-05, 06:45 PM
Heh. Most of the social sciences are all about BSing. Unless, of course, you take them completely seriously. It's still a load of BS.

Recaiden
2009-01-05, 07:30 PM
I can't think of any, but you could look here: Jobs in Sociology (http://www.jsu.edu/depart/soc/jobs_for_sociologists.html)

Tirian
2009-01-05, 07:38 PM
Here's some broad advice for people with useless degrees: forget the degree, apply to whatever you feel like doing. You'll get an entry-level job, which is dreadful, but it's the job experience and skills you get there that'll set you up for the desirable jobs further up the pyramid.

I don't think it's quite that dire. I mean, you shouldn't be sweeping floors or working in the mail room after graduating college. Any four-year degree says that you are capable of undertaking and completing a long-term project and that you have a certain capacity for handling details and obligations. You've got to present yourself well in interviews and demonstrate those skills pretty quickly, but you should start at the second rung of the ladder.

And I've got to think that sociology isn't the most irrelevant of humanities degrees. (That honor goes to, and I'm not making this up, my friend who majored in archaeology.) It's statistics and data management, so I'd reckon that a career in human services for any non-small company would be a good way to go, or picking up a few tech skills and calling yourself a database manager. Or the insurance and research industries probably have a direct need for sociology skills.

RTGoodman
2009-01-05, 07:39 PM
also, if in the united states, the 2010 census is starting up and needs to hire some couple thousand people on and off for a variety of jobs for the next two years. not steady work maybe, but the pay is good and the hours are flexible and it's probably not hard to get for the short term.

I'll second this advice - I saw online a while back that they're looking for a whole slew of not only the census-takers that go door-to-door or whatever, but also people to work at headquarters and stuff like that. You can direct your friend to the Census Bureau's employment website HERE (http://www.census.gov/hrd/www/) and see how that works out.

I don't think it's quite that dire. I mean, you shouldn't be sweeping floors or working in the mail room after graduating college. Any four-year degree says that you are capable of undertaking and completing a long-term project and that you have a certain capacity for handling details and obligations. You've got to present yourself well in interviews and demonstrate those skills pretty quickly, but you should start at the second rung of the ladder.

Depends on where you live. :smallannoyed: My BA in History (and I graduated summa *** laude and all that) didn't help at ALL considering the current job market.

In other news, substitute teaching is easy-ish work for good pay. I started back in December and have gotten called to work almost every day (for $69 a day, which works out to about $12/hour of actual work when you take out the planning period and lunch). It's not what I'm ALWAYS gonna do, but it's helping me pay off student loans until I (hopefully) get accepted into grad school to start this Fall.

Jorkens
2009-01-05, 10:04 PM
More options. (http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_sociology/Job_options/p!eaLfdiX)

Or do a vocational masters in something humanities related like archive work / information management or journalism or something. Or go into some sort of generic humanities graduate job like marketing / PR, management consultancy, politics, civil service, publishing, admin, whatever...

It is a bit of a grim time to be looking for jobs, though.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-05, 11:26 PM
In other news, substitute teaching is easy-ish work for good pay. I started back in December and have gotten called to work almost every day (for $69 a day, which works out to about $12/hour of actual work when you take out the planning period and lunch). It's not what I'm ALWAYS gonna do, but it's helping me pay off student loans until I (hopefully) get accepted into grad school to start this Fall.
Where DO you live? Doesn't seem like a lot... I'm making $120 (Canadian, but still) a night from bartending...

But then teachers (any kind) are grossly overpaid here, with $50+k being the average starting salary..

RTGoodman
2009-01-06, 12:16 AM
Where DO you live? Doesn't seem like a lot... I'm making $120 (Canadian, but still) a night from bartending...

But then teachers (any kind) are grossly overpaid here, with $50+k being the average starting salary..

The Triad area of North Carolina. Teachers are notoriously underpaid here (like, in the $30-35,000 range for experienced teachers, if my research was legit), so I guess subs probably make less than in other places, too. For the work, though, it's alright. Better than what I was doing from May until I started work in December (i.e., sitting at home making NO money).

As a bartender, though, you should DEFINITELY be making more than a sub. I was gonna go to bartending school back in October (until I found out they wanted $750 PLUS the cost of a textbook), and from what they said you could make a TON of money if (1) you were good at the job and (2) got a job at a place that gets decent business.

snoopy13a
2009-01-06, 12:22 AM
As a bartender, though, you should DEFINITELY be making more than a sub. I was gonna go to bartending school back in October (until I found out they wanted $750 PLUS the cost of a textbook), and from what they said you could make a TON of money if (1) you were good at the job and (2) got a job at a place that gets decent business.

If you can get a bartending job at a popular place where people tip well then you can make money. But, if you're the Tuesday night bartender at an alkie bar, then you aren't going to make much.

I suppose the same runs true for wait staff. If you wait tables at an expensive resturant, you can make good tip money. However, if you're waiting tables at a greasy spoon diner then no.

Eldan
2009-01-06, 02:32 AM
...$30-35,000 range for experienced teachers...

Do you mean, they earn that much in a year? That doesn't sound like you could live from that. I mean, that's about 2500 to 3000 dollars a month. People working at registers in supermarkets earn more over here...

Deathslayer7
2009-01-06, 02:39 AM
wow and i thought teachers in LAs Vegas were underpaid. :smalleek:

They only get about60k a year.

And professors who do absolutely nothing in teaching and have others teach for them and only do research make 110k a year once they reached the top of the ladder.

Completely unfair i say. :smallannoyed:

RTGoodman
2009-01-06, 03:09 AM
Well, I went back to verify my numbers, and it is pretty correct - and as you say, it's pretty bad. According to the official 2008-2009 NC State Salary Schedule (http://www.ncpublicschools.org/fbs/finance/salary/), a first-year teacher in a NC public school will make $30,470 for the year (about $3,050/month for 10 months, or $2,535/month if they're on a 12-month pay schedule).

It's not much better for experienced teachers. A NC public school teacher with a Bachelor's Degree and TEN YEARS OF EXPERIENCE only makes $39,180, and even someone with a Master's Degree only makes about $3,000 more a year at equal levels of experience. For more info, you can actually check out the PDF (http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/fbs/finance/salary/schedules/2008-09schedules.pdf) that has it all.

Needless to say, NC doesn't have a lot of people just chomping at the bit to be public school teachers.

LCR
2009-01-06, 03:24 AM
I've actually read this as "hiding a sociology major".
Anyways, besides applying for jobs that are totally out of his area of expertise (if he wanted to do that, why did he even bother studying sociology?), I think there are plenty of companies that would be hiring sociologists:
- Human resources in large companies
- polling institutes
- government (might have to compete with a buttload of JDs)
- universities (not in academia, but in administration)

Basically, a sociology degree should enable you to work for every company that employs/works with a lot of people, since sociology is all about group behaviour etc.

And don't be intimidated by those bleeding geeks telling you that humanities are worthless. They're not. Not everybody's made for computer sciences.

Zarrexaij
2009-01-06, 03:49 AM
I think you'll find people whose jobs have nothing (or very little) to do with what they studied in university. :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-01-06, 05:39 AM
So I have a family friend who just recently graduated from college with a BS in sociology and is looking for work.

...Everytime I read 'BS'...

What they should do is take a course in mathematics and then get a job at the supermarket like all other maths graduates.

Then you would feel our pain.

LCR
2009-01-06, 05:45 AM
...Everytime I read 'BS'...

What they should do is take a course in mathematics and then get a job at the supermarket like all other maths graduates.

Then you would feel our pain.

You have mathematics graduates working in supermarkets??? You should come to Europe. You guys are being sought after like crazy.

Edit: Wait, you ARE from Europe? Come to continental Europe, then. You island folk are obviously doing it wrong.

Player_Zero
2009-01-06, 06:01 AM
You have mathematics graduates working in supermarkets??? You should come to Europe. You guys are being sought after like crazy.

Edit: Wait, you ARE from Europe? Come to continental Europe, then. You island folk are obviously doing it wrong.

All the cool kids do mathematics over here, see. We're also a bunch of lazy bums.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-06, 06:17 AM

Yes, but then you have to speak German and learn how to march.. :amused:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Telonius
2009-01-06, 09:31 AM
Do you mean, they earn that much in a year? That doesn't sound like you could live from that. I mean, that's about 2500 to 3000 dollars a month. People working at registers in supermarkets earn more over here...

$30,000 a year is a little less than the average pay in the US (which is $36,000 a year). Bear in mind that the US charges a whole lot less than Europe does in Income taxes and gas taxes. There is no VAT, and sales taxes are usually under 10% (except for items like alcohol, cigarettes, luxury items, etc). Federal plus state income taxes are usually only about 30% of income, so someone "making" $30,000 is usually taking home around $21,000, or $1750 a month. If you're not in one of the bigger cities, it's definitely a decent wage; and if you are in one of the bigger cities, the companies will usually pay more so they retain workers. As long as you can find someplace that you can rent for $875 or so, you're about where they suggest as far as income spent on housing.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-06, 10:36 AM
It's not all bad, you just might not find yourself doing what you thought you would be doing...

I joined the Navy back in 1984, with nothing but a H.S. diploma. Went to two different ships, then to shore duty. While on shore duty I earned a B.A. in History and Political Science, then while I was at my final shore duty I earned a Masters of Education (Secondary Education). Retired from the Navy with 20 years Honorable Service, and went back to Colorado.

Applied for a teaching position through the Troops to Teachers Program, was told to go BACK to college and take classes in Special Ed. Substituted for the school year @ $75-$95/day, but since there are only 20 or FEWER working days per months, I earned approximatly $1500-$1900 per month (usually around $1750, before taxes). Not much for a family of four...

Once summer vacation started, I knew I was going to be unemployed for three months... So I started applying for different jobs. Applied to several different companies, and finally was offered and accepted a job handling ammunition at the local Army base for about double what teaching paid... Of course, the job DIDN'T require a degree of any sort, just ammunition experience.

Later, I applied for and was accepted into a Quality Assurance job for ammunition in the Federal Govt. That job DID require a degree, and now I'm making good money, have promotion opportunities, and get to travel around the world...

But! I don't do anything related to History or Political Science. :smallwink:
Meh...

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-06, 10:46 AM
You really aren't limited at all to jobs that have to do with your degree. I joke about my music major friends living in boxes, but music majors make great cryptographers, for example. I'm going to major in German, but I probably won't get a job that uses that degree. Companies and people who are hiring like to see a liberal arts degree of any kind, 'cause it usually means you've had your ideas critiqued.

Solaris
2009-01-06, 11:04 AM
wow and i thought teachers in LAs Vegas were underpaid. :smalleek:

They only get about60k a year.

And professors who do absolutely nothing in teaching and have others teach for them and only do research make 110k a year once they reached the top of the ladder.

Completely unfair i say. :smallannoyed:

Heck, that's not the start of it. I'm at risk for gettin' a single mortar to kill my entire battery. Every friend I have, basically, not to mention myself. The average pay here is half what those teachers in Vegas make.
Look at how much your average senator makes. I'm not trying to get political (hate 'em all, impersonally), but that's pretty ridiculous pay. Then look at how much people who're actually important to the continued function of government and society (teachers, cops, soldiers, lower-echelon government employees) earn annually.

Is it any wonder, really?

Anyhoo, I dropped into this thread to point out that, not only will the Feds take anyone, regardless of qualifications, so will the military. I kid you not, I've encountered a Lieutenant with a Liberal Arts degree. It's handy when you think that LTs don't get in the line of fire... ever, really, and the military is seriously steady work. If you're not all jacked-up, it's all but a guarantee that you're going to keep your job as long as you're willing to stay in. The new President-Elect might decide to cut us back in terms of personnel, but the first ones to go will be the guys who're truly unfit to serve in the military (overweight, general poor conduct, the guys who wouldn't be in the military if it weren't for a war, basically), not brand-new LTs.
It's a commitment, sure, but I'm just sayin'. It's an option.
Now I'm going to go try and scrub this unclean feeling away.

Kcalehc
2009-01-06, 11:24 AM
You really aren't limited at all to jobs that have to do with your degree. I joke about my music major friends living in boxes, but music majors make great cryptographers, for example. I'm going to major in German, but I probably won't get a job that uses that degree. Companies and people who are hiring like to see a liberal arts degree of any kind, 'cause it usually means you've been brainwashed with a leftist agenda.

Fixed; as per American Carol, and probably Glen Beck. (not my actual opinion mind, just struck me as funny)

Did a degree at a technical college, Technical Management (EE), currently temping as administrative assistant in the local schools. Living in D.C. its hard to get a technical job, as most are govt, and I'm not a US citizen, so cant get security clearance. Plus I dont have a US drivers license so thats most other things out too.

As to what to get with a Sociology degree, er, just about anything probably, marketing might be good perhaps, or human resources or probably even junior project management.

LCR
2009-01-06, 11:29 AM
Yes, but then you have to speak German and learn how to march.. :amused:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Very funny.
Not all of continental Europe is German (in fact, most of it is not) and not every German knows how to march (in fact, most don't).

Telonius
2009-01-06, 11:32 AM
Very funny.
Not all of continental Europe is German (in fact, most of it is not) and not every German knows how to march (in fact, most don't).

... said the man with the interesting avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Doesn't Germany still require a year of military service though? I remember hearing that they did, though that might have changed.

LCR
2009-01-06, 11:38 AM
... said the man with the interesting avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Doesn't Germany still require a year of military service though? I remember hearing that they did, though that might have changed.

My avatar is based on that guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3jEdW1zYDU).
And yes, Germany still requires nine months of military service, although it can be substituted with civil service (like, working in a hospital). It's a leftover from the Cold War, when we were the first to be overrun.

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-06, 12:50 PM
I live on a third of that; I'm lucky to pull down $800 a month. You can live on it just fine; it just won't be luxurious.

snoopy13a
2009-01-06, 02:05 PM
Anyhoo, I dropped into this thread to point out that, not only will the Feds take anyone, regardless of qualifications, so will the military. I kid you not, I've encountered a Lieutenant with a Liberal Arts degree. It's handy when you think that LTs don't get in the line of fire... ever, really, and the military is seriously steady work. If you're not all jacked-up, it's all but a guarantee that you're going to keep your job as long as you're willing to stay in. The new President-Elect might decide to cut us back in terms of personnel, but the first ones to go will be the guys who're truly unfit to serve in the military (overweight, general poor conduct, the guys who wouldn't be in the military if it weren't for a war, basically), not brand-new LTs.

Lieutenants operate in the field all the time as platoon leaders. If one is an army or marine lieutenant then they can come under fire and they do have a responsibility to lead their troops in battle. I'm sure that casuality rates among army lieutenants is similar to casuality rates among enlisted army personal.

toasty
2009-01-06, 09:42 PM
Lieutenants operate in the field all the time as platoon leaders. If one is an army or marine lieutenant then they can come under fire and they do have a responsibility to lead their troops in battle. I'm sure that casuality rates among army lieutenants is similar to casuality rates among enlisted army personal.

Join the airforce? Or perhaps the navy.

pendell
2009-01-07, 07:41 AM
Thank you, all for your suggestions.

FYI, neither the armed forces nor the fedgov take everybody. If you have, for example, asthma (as I do), you can forget about a military career in any capacity whatsoever.

As towards the fedgov -- as it turns out, I have a Master's in CS and have been employed as a software engineer since 1995. I vaguely remember taking the OPM test back then, and never hearing back from them. Perhaps government jobs were tighter then; but in any case there's no guarantee of employment with the government either. I wound up working in the private sector, after many travails.

I'll pass on your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Brian p.

Telonius
2009-01-07, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, that's the other thing about government jobs ... they take forever to get back to you. I graduated college in 2003, and started applying for jobs immediately afterwards. It wasn't until halfway through 2005 before I heard back from one government job application. By that time I'd been in my quasi-private-sector job for a year.