PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Stone Dragon [Races of the Nine Swords, 3.5...sorta]

Edge
2009-01-05, 05:02 PM
And now begins my crazy, crazy mission to create a race for each of 9 Disciplines from the Tome of Battle (plus a homebrew discipline from these very boards :smallwink:). These races are designed with the Pathfinder ruleset in mind, but some might just make it into 3.5 LA +0. None are going to be stronger than 3.5 LA +1.

As such, I present the first of these races: the Carn, the children of the Stone Dragon.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/SoullessEnigma/Carn-1.jpg

“We were born of the Stone Dragon. The mountains themselves will move before we yield you an inch.”

Many can lay claim to being a master of the disciplines of the Sublime Way, but few can say they are one with the very art of war they walk. The carn are among those who can. Legend holds that they were born from the blood shed by the Stone Dragon, the unyielding principle of earth and the source of power for the Stone Dragon discipline, when it fought against Gruumsh, who wanted its mountains for his people. The carn are well-known for their strength and endurance, dedication and skill in battle.

Personality: Carn are slow to act, but once they are set on a course of action, very little can dissuade them from their course. They are also slow to forget slights, and can hold grudges nearly as well as dwarves. They fight stubbornly and with great tenacity and courage, for endurance is their heritage. Fortitude, both physical and mental, is seen as a great virtue in carn culture.

Physical Description: Carn appear as draconic humanoids standing between 6 and 7 and a half feet tall, weighing between 190 and 260 pounds. Their scaled hides tend to be brown in colouration, with males possessing slightly darker hides than females. Colouration of scales also darkens with age.

Alignment: As a people that favour dedication and endurance, the carn are often of lawful neutral or true neutral alignment. Evil carn are rarer than good-aligned individuals.

Relations: The closest neighbours of the carn are the dwarves, goliaths, orcs and goblinoids. The carn share much in common with dwarves, though carn have little interest in material wealth. The goliaths and carn share much in common – a physical strength connected to the earth itself, a respect for physical prowess and a drive to excel. Carn and goliaths happily trade when a tribe of the mountain nomads passes by a carn settlement. Goblinoids are treated on a case by case basis, but usually with a hint of distrust. Carn and orcs and poor neighbours – the carn do not care overly about the Stone Dragon’s battle with Gruumsh, but the orcs see just another insult to One-Eye to avenge.

Carn Lands: The carn dwell in stone cities carved into the sides of mountains. Half of a carn city is carved deep into the mountainside; the other half is built as a human city might be with the rock excavated from the mountain.

Religion: The carn worship the Stone Dragon as their creator, no matter how inadvertent. There is little formalised religion in carn society, but respect for the Stone Dragon is intense, easily rivalling the dwarven faith in Moradin, or the elven love of Corellon. The anniversary of the Stone Dragon’s battle with Gruumsh is a notable exception to this, and is celebrated with a holiday that lasts for the three days before and after the anniversary. The day itself is marked with mock battles to show respect for the prowess of the Stone Dragon.

Language: Carn speak their own language, called Draig. It mostly resembles Draconic, but derives some of its lexicon and grammar from Dwarven. Most also learn Common to converse with members of other races.

Names: Carn have a personal name given by their parents, and a family deed name, inherited from the parent they share their gender with. To become an adult, a carn must perform a deed worthy and appropriate of their deed name.
- Sample Male Names: Dorek, Karmak, Gerthil, Bolgran.
- Sample Female Names: Gelma, Sykitaal, Kelnan, Jalra.
- Sample Deed Names: Verthicha (“Mountain”), Othokent (“Smart”), Caexadar (“Sword-Earth”), Maekrix (“Leader”).

Adventurers: Most carn adventurers are wandering, seeking to perform a deed worthy to inherit their deed. Others are motivated by a desire for wealth, power or glory as adventurers of other races might be.

Racial Traits
• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity: Carn inherited the strength and fortitude of their progenitor, but also its lack of agility.
• Humanoid (dragonblood) type.
• Medium size.
• Base land speed 30ft.
• Darkvision: Carn can see as well without light as they can with it, though this sight is black and white only.
• Earthen Resilience (Ex): Carn receive a +2 racial bonus on saves against poison, disease and pain effects.
• Stability (Ex): Carn receive a +4 bonus to their combat maneuver modifier when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
• Scion of the Stone Dragon: All carn begin play with knowledge of one first level martial maneuver from the Stone Dragon Discipline. If they are a member of a martial adept class, this maneuver is added to their maneuvers known and treated as any other maneuver. If they are not a martial adept, they may use this maneuver once per day.
• Natural Armour Bonus of +1
• Automatic Languages: Common, Draig. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elemental, Giant, Goblin, Orc and Undercommon.
• Favoured Classes: The favoured class of a carn is cleric or crusader. This choice must be made at first level and cannot be changed.

Pick it apart if you wish. Heck, I don't even know why I'm doing this. More to come soon. Expect the Saetha (Desert Wind), Morenos (Shadow Hand) and Fiendtouched (Dread Crown) to be forthcoming over the next few days.

The Demented One
2009-01-05, 10:57 PM
Overall, the race looks fine...for an LA +1 race. As it is, without any level adjustment, it's a bit too good.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-05, 11:02 PM
Granted maneuvers as a racial feature is just too overpowered, in my opinion. That can be (ab)used in way too many ways.

The Demented One
2009-01-05, 11:05 PM
Granted maneuvers as a racial feature is just too overpowered, in my opinion. That can be (ab)used in way too many ways.
Not really. Any human can get a martial maneuver with their bonus feat through Martial Study, and these guys are limited to Stone Dragon's fare. I think if he bumped up the LA, it'd be fine (Or, to remove the LA, cut out either Strength or Con bonus and the natural armor).

ErrantX
2009-01-05, 11:38 PM
As the Demented One said, it's fine as a +1 LA for normal 3.5 or to drop one of the stat buffs and the natural armor, but as far as pathfinder is concerned that's pretty much spot on.

-X

The Demented One
2009-01-06, 12:30 AM
As the Demented One said, it's fine as a +1 LA for normal 3.5 or to drop one of the stat buffs and the natural armor, but as far as pathfinder is concerned that's pretty much spot on.

-X
Oh, Pathfinder, right. Not familiar with the system, to my shame.

ErrantX
2009-01-06, 12:53 AM
Pathfinder is totally just D&D 3.75. It's pretty awesome and the beta is available for for free download at Paizo.com. I'd highly recommend you or anyone to check it out.

-X

Lert, A.
2009-01-06, 01:10 AM
Well done.

I'm almost disappointed with the maneuver's 1/day, since this is supposed to be a pathfinder-style race. 1/encounter would be nice.

Edge
2009-01-06, 02:34 PM
Well done.

I'm almost disappointed with the maneuver's 1/day, since this is supposed to be a pathfinder-style race. 1/encounter would be nice.

It is added to maneuvers known if you take a martial adept class, and can be used as any other maneuver if you do so.