PDA

View Full Version : Yu Gi Oh CCG?

Jimp
2009-01-05, 07:03 PM
Does anyone here play the Yu Gi Oh CCG? I used to play ages ago, as did basically everyone I knew, then stopped playing until recently when we met some guys who played. It's really kicked off again in my college's gaming society.
My current deck is mostly a spellcaster/fiend deck focused around destroying monsters with effects then attacking. Cards like old vindictive magician and stuff. It isn't a hugely powerful deck or anything but I like it. For flavour purposes I imagine it as a bunch of evil sorcerers who summon demons :smallbiggrin:.

BizzaroStormy
2009-01-05, 08:44 PM
I used to love playing it but it just became too difficult to build a competitive deck on a budget. I had a few lucky breaks like trading a video game for a full exodia set and finding a Raigeki under a vending machine (was still playable despite being engorged with taco sauce) but other than that, I wasn't as financially well-off as I am now, which still isnt that good.

It got to the point where the people who had the money for the expensive cards (Don Zaloog, and other Ultra/Secret rares) which just so happened to be super powerful compared to the super rares and lower, would just blow everyone else out of the water.

Moonshadow
2009-01-05, 09:51 PM
Considering that they keep banning all the decent cards, I don't really bother anymore >_>;

Moose Fisher
2009-01-05, 09:54 PM
I remember YuGiOh, I still have my cards buried away somewhere.

Isn't there some sort of legal issue happening between Konami and the company that distributes/designs the cards?

Raroy
2009-01-05, 10:03 PM
Considering that they keep banning all the decent cards, I don't really bother anymore >_>;

Out of the 2000+ cards you can't really get by without rageki and change of heart?

Anyway, good game system,(my opinion) once you have a higher understanding of the game. If not, dark hole more noob, I'll just come back stronger than before.

My brother buy lots of crap so, I can look though lots of geeky stuff. Don't any of you judge me!

Assassin89
2009-01-05, 10:09 PM
Have a few cards, but I don't play it

Enlong
2009-01-05, 11:33 PM
I have it. I play every now and then, but I'm kind of detatched from the metagame, haven't got any new cards in a long while. My two main decks are a dragon deck that I built 'cause I love the type, and a Rock deck that I made by gutting and enhancing an Invincible Fortress structure deck. Now if only I could get me a Mine Golem or a Five God Dragon.

Oh, and I've got an incomplete Gembeast deck.

Moonshadow
2009-01-06, 12:04 AM
Out of the 2000+ cards you can't really get by without rageki and change of heart?

Anyway, good game system,(my opinion) once you have a higher understanding of the game. If not, dark hole more noob, I'll just come back stronger than before.

My brother buy lots of crap so, I can look though lots of geeky stuff. Don't any of you judge me!

I dont even own those 2 cards, but they've banned considerably more than that. Look up the banning list sometime?

Enlong
2009-01-06, 12:29 AM
I dont even own those 2 cards, but they've banned considerably more than that. Look up the banning list sometime?

Just out of curiosity, which bannings bug you the most?

The Extinguisher
2009-01-06, 12:36 AM
I have a remove from game deck, which is nice, but one of the things that bugs me about the game is there's no system to make big things less of a threat. If my opponent has something with 5000 attack, and the most I have is 4000, then I can't stop it. You can't beat it by using two 3000's. And I find there's hardly enough removal that isn't banned these days.

As well, I hate that they ban any infinite combo. It makes fun cards unusable because one person made something unfun. Now, if everyone is using them, then there's a problem. But those aren't the cards faults.

ThePhantom
2009-01-06, 12:39 AM
Well, they did ban a few things that were way overpowered. Like the spirit crow thing that could put people in a lock.

Moonshadow
2009-01-06, 12:53 AM
Just out of curiosity, which bannings bug you the most?

I don't really remember all the banned cards, but Metamorphosis was one that I got annoyed about being banned. Screwed with my elemental heros and with my fusions, mainly because I didn't have access to Polymerisation etc.

Like I said, I don't remember much else, and I haven't played in a while.

Enlong
2009-01-06, 01:11 AM
I don't really remember all the banned cards, but Metamorphosis was one that I got annoyed about being banned. Screwed with my elemental heros and with my fusions, mainly because I didn't have access to Polymerisation etc.

Like I said, I don't remember much else, and I haven't played in a while.

OK, yeah. But to be fair, it was either that, or let people summon Thousand Eyes Restrict on turn one. (among other things).

Huh. I'm looking at the list now, and the banning of Disc Commander seems kind of weird. Drops a lot of power from the Destiny Hero line.

Wait, Premature Burial, too? What? And Call of the Haunted? Huh?
Does Konami just hate straight-up revival or what?

AgentPaper
2009-01-06, 01:38 AM
I used to play, for a little bit a while ago, but there was nobody to play against. Then, when there were, I was playing Magic: The Gathering with them, which I find much more appealing. I can't say for fact, but I get the feeling that Yu-Gi-Oh is a lot less complex than MtG is, so I haven't really looked back. Anyone here (who has played and/or plays BOTH games preferably) think it's gotten to the point where it rivals MtG on a tactical/complexity level?

Talkkno
2009-01-06, 01:41 AM
The problem with Yu-Gi-Oh is that it doesn't have a resource management system.

Moonshadow
2009-01-06, 02:21 AM
OK, yeah. But to be fair, it was either that, or let people summon Thousand Eyes Restrict on turn one. (among other things).

Huh. I'm looking at the list now, and the banning of Disc Commander seems kind of weird. Drops a lot of power from the Destiny Hero line.

I dunno, maybe ban Thousand Eyes restrict then? It just seems kinda silly, thats all.

Raroy
2009-01-06, 10:27 AM
I dunno, maybe ban Thousand Eyes restrict then? It just seems kinda silly, thats all.

Uh, they did......

Okay, so they banned thirty cards, their are plenty of powerful card combos to come up with your self.

Dublock
2009-01-06, 11:29 AM
I use a pure fiend deck with nercofear as its main attraction. Haven't played in a long while though.

I love cyber jar...a real shame that was banned.

Jimp
2009-01-06, 03:17 PM
It's still easy to make a decent deck with the hundreds and hundreds of other cards out there. Tournament level decks might be harder but both myself and the other players I know rarely find tournament level decks to be much fun.
Heart of the cards :smallwink:.

Fishies
2009-01-06, 09:24 PM

Monster Reborn can be used now.

Where do you guys get your cards? I buy structure and starter decks, mainly. It's cheap, I get a lot of cards from it, and some of them are really good. Worth it 100% IMO. I think I spent less than $60 total for all my cards (if you stack them all up the stack's a foot tall)

BTW, I use a machine swarm deck ('Roid & SD10 combo, mostly) and sometimes a stall deck. Ah, haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! in a few months... I'm gonna ask my friend to duel later this week, I miss this game. He always owns me with his deck, which has lots of warriors (Mataza the Zapper, Mystic Swordsman LV2, Maurading Captain), 1900 monsters, traps (Trap Hole, Compulsory Evacuation Device), and other splashable, versatile cards (Book of Moon, Smashing Ground, Mobius the Frost Monarch, etc.) Anyone know how I can beat this deck?

tyckspoon
2009-01-06, 10:00 PM
BTW, I use a machine swarm deck ('Roid & SD10 combo, mostly) and sometimes a stall deck. Ah, haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! in a few months... I'm gonna ask my friend to duel later this week, I miss this game. He always owns me with his deck, which has lots of warriors (Mataza the Zapper, Mystic Swordsman LV2, Maurading Captain), 1900 monsters, traps (Trap Hole, Compulsory Evacuation Device), and other splashable, versatile cards (Book of Moon, Smashing Ground, Mobius the Frost Monarch, etc.) Anyone know how I can beat this deck?

It's been my general experience that controlling the initiative on laying trap/magic cards is the most important part of the game. Having strong cheap beatsticks on the field is nice, but not very useful if they can't come into play or attack without something nasty happening. So pack a lot of anti-trap and magic control so you can clear his traps and protect your own. Should be a better match once you've either swept his strong stuff out with traps or force him into holding them in hand instead of on field for fear of traps and/or magic.

Alternately, you could try going direct damage + stall; lots of traps and magic that either null a combat turn or just prevent it from happening at all, some of those monsters that can survive death, whatever keeps your life-points safe while you throw cards at him. Might take a while, tho, since the direct damage cards were all pretty pathetic as of the last time I took a close look at the cardlist. And you'll need whatever card-advantage engines haven't been banned yet, since you'll be playing a lot of consumables; your hand will want refilling constantly.

Mando Knight
2009-01-06, 10:35 PM
Here's a ban that irks me:
Victory Dragon. Its effect is only useful when you're playing for tournaments... where it's banned. IIRC, it's "Requires 3 tributes to Normal Summon. If you reduce your opponent's life points to 0 as a result of Battle Damage with this monster, you win the match." Outside of a tournament, you're probably just going to play friendly games... in which there's nothing stopping either you or your opponent to ask to play again. It's a decent beatstick, IIRC (might be a better beatstick than the BEWD...), but its only beneficial effect comes into play when it's illegal to play it. :smallconfused:

Don't actually have the card m'self, though. I play mostly with a Spellcaster deck... primarily because whenever I look into buying cards, there's a good caster booster/starter deck/structure deck/whatever out, but no good Dragon one, or the FLGS doesn't carry it.

RationalGoblin
2009-01-06, 10:44 PM
About a little less then a year back, there was an attempt to play a trustworthy game of Yu Gi Oh on the boards. It was pretty fun, and everyone seemed to be honest enough, as no one complained when they lost.

As for me, I have whatever I can scrounge up in my deck, usually Machine monsters.

Triaxx
2009-01-07, 07:00 AM
The people I play with found a perfect way to deal with those ban-lists. We ignore them, and host our own tournaments. That really PO's the 'hardcore' players when our dates co-incide, and we're having lots of fun and their sitting there being glared at by the judges. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2009-01-07, 07:09 AM
*flips man-eater bug*
i target the blue-eyes you just took 3 turns summoning...

and attack your life points directly :smalltongue:

i may have played the odd game... (i've got about £400-£500 pounds worth of cards) but i've been banned from spending any more on CCGs.

Enlong
2009-01-07, 11:48 AM
*flips man-eater bug*

i may have played the odd game... (i've got about £400-£500 pounds worth of cards) but i've been banned from spending any more on CCGs.

Uh.
*points to my King Dragun*

Blue Ghost
2009-01-09, 12:00 AM
I don't buy cards anymore, but I still play for fun. I run a casual Zombie deck, and it's pretty good. Not competitive level though.
Long live Lord Xykon!

Triaxx
2009-01-10, 01:53 PM
*flips man-eater bug*

Of course the appropriate response depends on the rules:

Actual Rules: Fine, I survive with 500 Life points because I used one of your monsters and I play Monster Reborn.

Show Rules: I survive with 1/275th of a life point. I now attack you for eighty-seven trillion points of damage as a special effect of my having awesome hair.

vartan
2009-01-10, 02:12 PM
wow... I had a deck themed around getting thousand eyes restrict out- largely just to annoy my opponent... it's banned... sadface.

edit: I'm surprised they did not ban Maha Vailo... There was a trap card that treated all equip cards as being equipped to one creature... that skyrocketed his attack.

chiasaur11
2009-01-10, 02:18 PM
Of course the appropriate response depends on the rules:

Actual Rules: Fine, I survive with 500 Life points because I used one of your monsters and I play Monster Reborn.

Show Rules: I survive with 1/275th of a life point. I now attack you for eighty-seven trillion points of damage as a special effect of my having awesome hair.

Or money.

Can't buy you love, sure, but it does let you cheat at children's trading card games.

Raroy
2009-01-10, 02:19 PM
Recently had a duel with my cousin. Short story:he Lord of Ds two dragons, I survive and stall for an eternity. Slowly giving my Gigantic Cephalous two hundred attack per turn using token abuse. End it with an epic domino effect with a 4000 attack Cephalous and some other strong plants on the field to end him. I literally beat the strongest monsters in his deck that he summoned on his first few turns. Without using cheap tricks(domino effect isn't cheap, it works with my token strategy.)

Anyway, I was awesome, lost the next two duels because he uses lord of D again with flute of summoning dragon on the first turn(how is that even possible?), and I can only deal with that so many times.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-10, 02:37 PM
I think I sold half of my collection on Ebay last year. I still have all my "Shiny" cards and all of my preconstructed theme decks though.
Dinosaur Rampage and Dragon's Roar were amazing, not forgetting the equip combos of Warrior's Triumph.

Jimp
2009-01-10, 04:40 PM
Would people be interested in playing online again if there was a way?
Does anyone know of any programs, etc, that would work? Failing that there is always playing by post, but that seems a bit messy and slow. "I summon Red Eyes Black Dragon and attack your face down". . . a day later . . ."Trap Hole". . .a day later. . ."Dang."

AlterForm
2009-01-10, 06:58 PM
According to here (http://forum.tcgplayer.com/showthread.php?t=136309), YVD works well. DL'd it, and it doesn't like a total piece of crap.

[EDIT]: Just finished toying around with it. Decent program, long list of cards. Doesn't handle rules, but that's not unexpected for free, eh?

Triaxx
2009-01-11, 10:36 AM
Actually, the solution is even simpler if you have webcams. Just aim them down at the fields. No programs and the rules are all yours.

Jimp
2009-01-11, 04:17 PM
Actually, the solution is even simpler if you have webcams. Just aim them down at the fields. No programs and the rules are all yours.

That's a pretty good idea actually. People could play over Skype.
So is interest there for setting up a group?

Jimp
2009-01-20, 02:15 PM
Going to bump this to give it a second chance.