PDA

View Full Version : All the Fix'n's: The best of homebrew overhauls

paladin_carvin
2009-01-05, 07:24 PM
Question: Is there any set of links to all the good or interesting fixes and simplifications for 3.5 D&D? I'm curious about all the overall homebrew rules. Stuff people have thought of to balance classes, races, spells whatever. The parameters of my games are: Forgotten Realms, Non-Psionic.

Also; does anyone know what a half-drow half-non-drow-elf is called and if it has stats?

Zeta Kai
2009-01-05, 07:33 PM
Also; does anyone know what a half-drow half-non-drow-elf is called and if it has stats?

I'd call it "Doomed to Angst", but that's just me. :smallwink:

paladin_carvin
2009-01-05, 07:38 PM
I'd call it "Doomed to Angst", but that's just me. :smallwink:

That's too long to fit on the character sheet.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-05, 07:52 PM
That's too long to fit on the character sheet.

Emo Gray?...

The Neoclassic
2009-01-05, 07:53 PM

Elf (mixed subrace) or elf (mutt)? Homebrewing stats for it should be easy. Just like a regular non-drow but throw in darkvision. Poof. As far as weapon proficiencies, pick those based on which community they grew up in, since that's a cultural thing.

paladin_carvin
2009-01-05, 08:28 PM
Elf (mixed subrace) or elf (mutt)? Homebrewing stats for it should be easy. Just like a regular non-drow but throw in darkvision. Poof. As far as weapon proficiencies, pick those based on which community they grew up in, since that's a cultural thing.

Yea, kinda what I was figurin'. I guess since I'm so much into Forgotten Realms... the setting that can describe many of the towns of 500 people to the building, would cover something like that. I know that the PS2 game Demon Stone had such a character, but that isn't canon as well as non-d20. Thanks though, I think I will do just as you prescribed. :smallbiggrin:

MeklorIlavator
2009-01-05, 08:32 PM
In regards to your original question: is the reason you don't allow psionic related to balance or Flavor? And what is your opinion of the Tome of Battle? Are all other splatbooks allowed? This will give better guidelines for what your game would easily accept.

paladin_carvin
2009-01-05, 10:39 PM
In regards to your original question: is the reason you don't allow psionic related to balance or Flavor? And what is your opinion of the Tome of Battle? Are all other splatbooks allowed? This will give better guidelines for what your game would easily accept.

As for psionics: I don't include them for both those reasons as well as how they generally complicate things. I DM for beginners mostly; many are family or in-law family.

I love Forgotten Realms stuff, so all those splat books are gravy. I haven't ever seen anything in the 'Tome' books I liked. I like most of the other splat books, but since I deal mostly with beginners, I try to stay away from non-base things. I love variant things, as well as alternate features; ie urban ranger, non-magic paladin, etc.

MeklorIlavator
2009-01-05, 11:04 PM
Hmmm...in this case I would suggest not getting fixes, as they tend to complicate things. For instance, Psionics in 3.5(assuming you follow the rules and choose to have the magic/psionic transparency in effect) is one of the simpler and more balance magic systems(significantly more so than the core books). Still, Fax Celestis has some really good fixes here Class Varients (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Fax_Encyclopedicus#Class_Variants) .

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-05, 11:17 PM
I homebrewed a Half-Elf Half-Drow race and called them Shadow Elves. They were originally inspired by FR, since there are so many drow that worship Ellistraiee that could potentially live with the surface elves.
Unfortunately for you, this homebrew is for 4e :smallbiggrin:.
But they wouldn't be too hard to make in 3.5e. I'd suggest either LA +1 or LA +0 as a target.

ErrantX
2009-01-05, 11:34 PM
I made some class fixes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3577329#post3577329)for the Fighter, Sorcerer, Ranger, and Rogue classes, if you're interested. Nothing too extraordinary, just giving them the little extra leg up they needed to more viable.

-X

paladin_carvin
2009-01-06, 02:04 AM
Hmmm...in this case I would suggest not getting fixes, as they tend to complicate things. For instance, Psionics in 3.5(assuming you follow the rules and choose to have the magic/psionic transparency in effect) is one of the simpler and more balance magic systems(significantly more so than the core books). Still, Fax Celestis has some really good fixes here Class Varients (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Fax_Encyclopedicus#Class_Variants) .

Those are some cool fixes. Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I homebrewed a Half-Elf Half-Drow race and called them Shadow Elves. They were originally inspired by FR, since there are so many drow that worship Ellistraiee that could potentially live with the surface elves.
Unfortunately for you, this homebrew is for 4e :smallbiggrin:.
But they wouldn't be too hard to make in 3.5e. I'd suggest either LA +1 or LA +0 as a target.
Shadow Elves... hmm... 3.5 has drow in significant numbers on the surface, even evil ones.

I made some class fixes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3577329#post3577329)for the Fighter, Sorcerer, Ranger, and Rogue classes, if you're interested. Nothing too extraordinary, just giving them the little extra leg up they needed to more viable.

-X

Also very good, thanks!