PDA

View Full Version : I just downloaded Firefox!

Flame of Anor
2009-01-05, 08:21 PM
I'm not going to be a prig about it and disparage IE users (I still have some amount of affection for IE), but I really am impressed by how good and fast Firefox is.

...please, no flamewars.

Sneak
2009-01-05, 08:23 PM
I tried out FireFox, wasn't really that impressed. It's fine, but it doesn't really have any nifty features that would make me want to switch browsers.

I'm a Safari man myself.

Flame of Anor
2009-01-05, 08:24 PM
The nifty feature I'm impressed with (besides how fast it is) is the FastDial.

Rutskarn
2009-01-05, 08:25 PM
I'm a Firefoxer, but it's really the only browser I've used for years.

I have no idea if the competition is any good. I can't really see any features that Firefox doesn't have that I want, unless there's a "Create Crunch for 4E Class Fluff" or "Make LittleKuriboh Update Already Dammit" feature I missed reading about.

celtois
2009-01-05, 08:26 PM
Safari is good I like firefox as well. For me it is one or the other.. Whatever I happen to click on

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-05, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the club!

PS: unless you're a girl, than you're not allowed in :amused:

celtois
2009-01-05, 08:43 PM
So I'm not allowed in despite that I sometimes use Firefox :smallfrown:
*cries*

rankrath
2009-01-05, 08:46 PM
I'm a member of the firefox club as well, but will jump ship to chrome as soon as it comes out for *nix. Dammit google, port faster!

BizzaroStormy
2009-01-05, 08:49 PM
I'm not going to be a prig about it and disparage IE users (I still have some amount of affection for IE), but I really am impressed by how good and fast Firefox is.

...please, no flamewars.

One of us... One of us...

RTGoodman
2009-01-05, 08:57 PM
Well, now that you've done that, here's some great add-ons to check out:

-Adblock Plus - possibly the greatest the add-on ever.
-Add to Searchbar - lets you add stuff to the search-bar, which is neat.
-Fierr - changes your 404 page to a different one that's cooler.
-Hide Unvisited - keeps you from having to look at ALL OF YOUR BOOKMARKS as you type stuff in the URL-bar/Awesome-Bar.
-Zotero - the best thing if you're using the internets to do research, since it does the citation-type stuff for you.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-05, 08:58 PM
Safari ftw.

Sneak
2009-01-05, 09:05 PM
Yay! Now we can form a Safari club!

That sounds a lot cooler than it actually is. :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2009-01-05, 09:27 PM
I like Firefox because it works with TOR...still waiting on a patch to let me use Chrome. I also like it because I've got it set up so when I hit the stop button, it says "Stop: Hammertime" :smalltongue:

Other than that, I find it pretty ugly to use, probably because I haven't found a good skin for it.

Atomsized
2009-01-05, 09:30 PM
Well, now that you've done that, here's some great add-ons to check out:

-Adblock Plus - possibly the greatest the add-on ever.
-Add to Searchbar - lets you add stuff to the search-bar, which is neat.
-Fierr - changes your 404 page to a different one that's cooler.
-Hide Unvisited - keeps you from having to look at ALL OF YOUR BOOKMARKS as you type stuff in the URL-bar/Awesome-Bar.
-Zotero - the best thing if you're using the internets to do research, since it does the citation-type stuff for you.

Let me add another one...

-Rick Radar - Guess.

Mando Knight
2009-01-05, 09:43 PM
Another reason why Firefox is awesome: type "about:robots" into the URL.

Another item you can add is Greasemonkey: an add-on that allows you to apply Javascript to your browser on the user end.

Dragonrider
2009-01-06, 12:19 AM
I just got it today. :smallbiggrin:

I was unnerved at first by how different it was, but then I discovered how customizable it was and I fell in love.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-06, 12:37 AM
I just got it today. :smallbiggrin:

I was unnerved at first by how different it was, but then I discovered how customizable it was and I fell in love.
Yay!

Goo to see you on our si-, I mean, good to see you stepped over to Firefox.:smalltongue:

*huggles Drider for getting Firefox*

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-06, 12:39 AM
Yaaay, Firefox.
I like my forum alert-thingy-add-on.
It tells me when someone posts in the Ship thread =D

RS14
2009-01-06, 01:27 AM
Let me also suggest the No-Script add-on, for security.

Zarrexaij
2009-01-06, 03:50 AM
Opera ftw.

Athaniar
2009-01-06, 06:10 AM
I myself switched to Firefox during the Internet Explorer Crisis, and I must say I find it much better than Explorer.

I can't really see any features that Firefox doesn't have that I want, unless there's a "Create Crunch for 4E Class Fluff" or "Make LittleKuriboh Update Already Dammit" feature I missed reading about.

Even I would switch if that happened. Probably.

Zakama
2009-01-06, 07:51 AM
Yaaay, Firefox.

OOo, linky?

Roderick_BR
2009-01-06, 07:59 AM
I think Internet Explorer is the only browser that still need to catch up with the "big guys", though it has been getting better lately. Most of the others browsers are pretty good.
I use Firefox mainly, and Opera as a secondary, and IE only at work.

dish
2009-01-06, 08:27 AM
I like Firefox because it works with TOR...

That is my reason for using it. I need tor, especially as it's the only way I can get to LJ from China.

randman22222
2009-01-06, 08:33 AM
Yaaay, Firefox.

Whoa! How did you get it to do that? :smallconfused:

wojonatior
2009-01-06, 03:35 PM
fi you are a multiple computer user get foxmarks
and if you like finding random internet related stuff relating to anything go look up stumbleupon
and one last comment is it is not "internet explorer" it is "Internet exploder" but that is my opinion.

zillion ninjas
2009-01-06, 07:06 PM
Let me also suggest the No-Script add-on, for security.

Seconded - I refuse to browse without NoScript, or some equivalent way to control what sites get to run scripts on my computer.

And there's also CookieSafe. It's a much better cookie manager than the one built-in to the Options->Privacy tab.

To get the most use out of multiple tabs in a window, I like Tab Mix Plus.

For anyone looking for links, all of these are on the Firefox/Mozilla addons (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/) site.

I tried out FireFox, wasn't really that impressed. It's fine, but it doesn't really have any nifty features that would make me want to switch browsers.

With Firefox by itself, that's true enough. But it's the addons that make Firefox really work. There are plenty of features available in varying degrees of niftiness.

eidreff
2009-01-06, 07:16 PM
The first browser that I ever used was Netscape (back in 1993 eek)

Since then I have used IE, Opera and Firefox and whilst all have good points I am still awaiting some kind of www apotheosis. All have drawbacks (some more than others admittedly) but I do prefer firefox right now simply because of the addons, plug ins and skins available suit my taste.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-06, 11:18 PM
OOo, linky?

Whoa! How did you get it to do that? :smallconfused:

Forum Additive is your friend =D (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4667)

Terry576
2009-01-07, 12:20 AM
Firefox has always been my browser. It shall never leave me! Unless It wants to share my cookie. THE COOKIE IS MINE! =D

Flame of Anor
2009-01-07, 12:22 AM
I will refrain from making one of the obvious puns on the two meanings of "cookie"...

Terry576
2009-01-07, 12:29 AM
I will refrain from making the obvious puns on your name "Old Man". Whoops, too late! Besides, the cake is a lie.

kriebly
2009-01-08, 01:44 AM
Let me add another one...

-RickRadar - Guess.
I never knew about this one. This proves the collective brilliance of the open source community. (Of course, if there is a lot of overlap with those who turned rickrolling into a meme in the first place, then not so much.)

Firefox's big strength for me right now is the huge number of addons available. Safari has very few, and even that Firefox for Mac Aqua doesn't compare.

For security, I use Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and Web of Trust, and I recommend these to anyone.

I also use NoScript with the flash-blocking part turned off, but I don't think I would recommend this to someone unless I knew that they didn't mind fiddling with their browser on a regular basis.

Some other addons that are handy and don't overly change Firefox:

Edit Middle
Flagfox
Forecastfox
Googlebarlite
PDF Download
Session Manager

For privacy I also have CS Lite for controlling cookies, but again that does involve more fiddling.

Khanderas
2009-01-08, 02:32 AM

...please, no flamewars.
But I WANT to burn those knuckledragging, backwards, technologyfearing masochists, with the righteous fire that they richly deserves :smallbiggrin:
... But ok, I won't. :smallwink:

Lord Herman
2009-01-13, 02:23 AM
Well, yesterday I finally decided to switch to Firefox when Internet Exploder... well, exploded on me again.

My first impressions:
- Blimey, that's a fast installation. And it didn't ask any inconvenient questions!
- It also imported all my IE settings and bookmarks, which is good.
- It seems Firefox is a lot faster than IE, and it only slows down a bit where IE would completely lock up my computer.
- Yay, awesomebar!
- Yay, adblock!
- Yay, bookmark toolbar with big GiantITP button!

Edit: I just found another nifty add-on called Read It Later. Basically, you can flag a page you want to read later, which keeps you from cluttering your bookmarks with things you'll only want to read once.