PDA

View Full Version : Best way to throw a bunch of daggers/shuriken?

Arros Winhadren
2009-01-05, 10:00 PM
Core books and Complete Series only (UA is OK too). I'm vetoing ToB because I don't own it and I don't like it.

Basically what I want is something that can throw the most daggers or shuriken in a round without too much cheese. Really what I'm wondering is whether to go into Master Thrower or not - Palm Throw is good, but denies STR mod to damage, so that would mean reliance on bags of enchanted shuriken. I have two different ideas:
1)Barbarian variant from UA that allows an extra attack while raging, then taking Rapid Throw and Two Weapon Fighting.
2)Monk, Intuitive Attack (I know, it's BoED, but I for one think it should be a Monk class ability) and then Master Thrower for Flurry of Blows.

I suppose I could do a 1-level Monk dip, then go into the barbarian variant.
I know there's some build called Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger, but I think it relies on ToB. That or it had more classes than any sensible DM would allow.

Deepblue706
2009-01-06, 12:23 AM
Well, I think Scout or Rogue would help you with such a build, since they get bonus dice to damage, rendering the actual weapon itself less important in the matter.

Master Thrower is certainly a class to consider; it doesn't just have Palm Throw but plenty of neat abilities to make use of with Shuriken, etc. Trip Shot lets you make free trip attacks on successful strikes (you still do damage). Doubletoss lets you get more attacks...

If you are really into relying on STR for damage, there's Brutal Throw, from PHB2, I believe. Use STR for ranged attack rolls. There's also Power Throw which is your Thrown-Weapon Power Attack. I've never tried this before, but I suppose a good base STR paired with a Barbarian's rage could make it okay, so long as you continue pursue feats and other abilities to get more out of it. I'd still go Master Thrower, in any event. You may also want to consider Ranged Pin (CWar), if you're getting a lot of attacks. Hilarious, and effective under the right circumstances.

Diarmuid
2009-01-06, 12:35 AM
There's always the dip into swashbuckler to get int dmg to your attacks, then you dont need to worry about not getting your str dmg.

Most of the dagger throwing builds I've seen involved a mix of Ftr/Rog/Swash/Master Thrower with possible dips into Whisperknife/Invisible Blade.

Tons of attacks, all as touch attacks dealing weapon, int dmg, and sneak attack (ya ya, only 1 sneak per actual attack)

Arros Winhadren
2009-01-06, 12:50 AM
I had considered a dip into Swashbuckler, but it seemed like a bit too much considering it's 3rd level, and you don't get much else from Swashbuckler. :(

Hey Diar, I don't suppose that's a reference to the Fionavar Tapestry?

Vortling
2009-01-06, 01:33 AM
I had considered a dip into Swashbuckler, but it seemed like a bit too much considering it's 3rd level, and you don't get much else from Swashbuckler. :(

Hey Diar, I don't suppose that's a reference to the Fionavar Tapestry?
If you're going to use Rogue/Master Thrower it's plenty worth the 3 levels as Int is a priority for Rogues. Grab Daring Outlaw from complete scoundrel and you won't lose any sneak attack for the swashbuckler levels. Swashbuckler 3 also grants you full BAB progression to get into Master Thrower quicker.

Arros Winhadren
2009-01-06, 01:49 AM
Well that was silly of me - I was convinced Swashbuckler had 3/4 BAB, but if it's full then that's a whole 'nother story.

Edit:I don't suppose there's an Int version of Insightful Strike that uses Int for to-hit?