PDA

View Full Version : [Screen Name] Fist of the Starbuck

Starbuck_II
2004-07-18, 07:01 PM
Fist of the Starbuck
Background: I got Hurricane Kick from Shotokan Warrior class on internet somewhere. Aura bolt was my own creation modeled after FF6 Sabin's Blitz attack. It was originally made for a class I made up called Hand Fighter/Martial Artist.(still unsure which to call).
I searched Web for ideas for feats to give the class and made up most of them after getting a idea.

Flavor text goes here

Description:
The Fist and the Kick are an important part of every Martial Artists arsenal of unarmed weapons. But few realize their true power together. The Fist of the Starbuck channel their Chi and learn how to focus it. As they do so they learn how to shoot a small blast of Holy energy at their foes; while it hurts anything, it is best versus the undead that plague the land. When a Fist reaches the pinnacle of the class he learns the true power of the fist beyond that of anyone before him.
Most Fist of the Starbuck's are Monks since the class leads easily into the class but a couple rogues can find useful parts and access also. Its rare for other classes to become a Fist of the Starbuck but many have tried.

Prerequisites: Base Reflex save+ 5, Deflect Arrows, Tumble 8 ranks, Concentration 4 ranks, Must have Evasion as a class feature
Special Must train under a member of the Fist of the Starbuck

Level Base At Fort Reflex Will AC Bonus Special
1 +0 +2 +2 +0 +1 Bonus Feat,
2 +1 +3 +3 +0 +1 Hurricane Kick(2 kick)
3 +2 +3 +3 +1 +1 Aurabolt 1/day, Hurricane Kick(3 kick)
4 +3 +4 +4 +1 +2 Bonus Feat
5 +3 +4 +4 +1 +2 Hurricane Kick(4 kick)
6 +4 +5 +5 +2 +2 Aurabolt 2/day
7 +5 +5 +5 +2 +3 Bonus Feat
8 +6 +6 +6 +2 +3 Hurricane Kick(5 kick)
9 +6 +6 +6 +3 +3 Aurabolt 3/day
10 +7 +7 +7 +3 +3 Fist of the Starbuck 1/day,
Hurricane Kick(6 kick), Bonus Feat

Alignment: Any
HD: 1d8
Skill points: 4+ Intelligence Modifier
Fist of the Starbuck's Class skills: Balance, Climb, Concentrate, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge( Arcane), Knowledge(Religion), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Class Features
Fist of the Starbuck is not Proficient with any armor. It is Proficient with all simple and a few Exotic Special Weapons( Shuriken, Kama, Nunchaku, Siangham, Ward Cestus, and Bladed Guantlet).

AC Bonus: While Not wearing Armor, they gain this a bonus added to AC (This is in addition to Armor bonus possibly gained through levels in monk class). They apply even against touch attacks or when flat footed. You would lose them when immobilized or helpless, when wear any armor, or when using a shield.

Hurricane Kick: Starting at level 2, in a whirling tornado of blows, a Fist of the Starbuck jumps in the air and spin kicks enemies within 5 feet of them.(if Meduim, 10 feet is Large, determined by Reach). He may use as many kicks as shown on table. If one enemy is present, he may all of his attacks against that single target, however if more than one exists that close he must rotate the attack so every enemy gets attacked at least once before hitting a enemy twice. Uses Unarmed Attack Damage so Ki Strike would apply normally. (Standard action). Roll a Reflex save negate DC 10 +Level of highest level target or provoke attacks of opportunity from each target.

Aurabolt (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a Fist of Starbuck learns to focus his chi into a wave of holy (or unholy) power that strikes his enemies. Activating the wave requires a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The wave is 15 feet wide, and 15 feet long, plus an additional 15 feet for every class level. Good aligned Fists of the Starbuck do Holy damage, and evil aligned do Unholy damage. A neutral FotS must choose one when he gains this ability, and he can never change it after that point. Damage dealt by the wave is equal to 10 + 1 point per fist of the starbuck level. A Holy Aurabolt does double damage against undead and evil outsiders, while an unholy Aurabolt does double damage to good outsiders. The damage from an Aurabolt can be halved by making a successful reflex saving throw. The DC is equal to 10 + class level + the character's wisdom modifier

Fist of the Starbuck: Use 1/day, Range: 5 feet per lv of Character., Width: 15 feet + 5/10 Levels.
Damage: 1d6 per Lv ( Fist of Starbuck Lv). Energy Type-Sonic, breaks through hardness(hardness doesn';t count). Reflex save ½(see text). Dc 10+ Wis+ Lv.(Fist of Starbuck Lv) Fail, take damage + effect. Roll a 1d4: 1. Weapons, 2. Armor/shield, 3. Magical gear, 4. Mundane Gear. (Choose random item from list/category). Roll a Reflex save for object same DC, Succeed Negate, fail it takes the same damage as you.. (usually destroying it)
(This is a standard action that focuses the power of the fist into a wave of sonic blasts)
SPecial note: You must fail the reflex 1/2 save and the reflex negate for the item to be affected.

Bonus Feats: These feats are taken from the following List:
A. Fist Special Feats-described below

Special Fist of the Starbuck Feats:
a. Enhanced Unarmed Strike: You do not need weapons, for your body itself is a lethal weapon.
Prerequisites; Level 1 Fist of the Starbuck
Benefit: Damage for Base Unarm Strike raises to 1d6. If Base Unarmed Damage already upgraded through levels in Monk, etc. then it raises damage to next increase. You can also choose to deal your damage as either normal or subdual without penalty
Special: Effects stack, increases damage to next step. May only gain feat from Bonus feats, not by Leveling feats, etc.

b. Astuted Strike: To the astute, brawn is unnecessary. You exemplify this.
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, Wisdom 15+, Level 1 Fist of the Starbuck
Benefits: When using weapon with weapon focus, add Wis bonus instead of strength modifier. (Damage not adjusted for 2 handed weapons or off hand.).
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack; each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon. You can choose mighty bows or unarmed strike as your weapon for the purposes of this feat. A mighty bow's Strength limit doesn't apply to your Wisdom bonus.

c. Graceful Finesse: You wield weapons with extraordinary grace and fluency.
Prerequisites: Level 1 Fist of Starbuck, Weapon Focus with a weapon.
Benefit: Choose a melee weapon that you can use one-handed(unarmed strike counts), with which you have Weapon Focus. When using the selected weapon, you can use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you use a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack; each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon. You can take this feat with the bastard sword, quarterstaff, spiked chain, or two-bladed sword, even if you need two hands to wield these weapons.
Normal: A character without this feat uses her Strength modifier on melee attack rolls. She can take the Weapon Finesse feat to use her Dexterity modifier in place of her Strength modifier, but only when using a light weapon, rapier, spiked chain or whip.

d. Strike Without Thought: Uniting body and mind with a single purpose, you know where to strike.
Prerequisites: Str 13+, Wisdom 15+, Weapon Focus, Graceful Finesse, Astuted Strike, Power Attack
Benefit: Pick a melee weapon with which you have Instinctive Strike and Martial Finesse. When using this weapon, your Strength modifier (only adjusted for two-handed weapons) to damage stacks with your Wisdom modifier.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon. You can choose unarmed strikeas your weapon for the purposes of this feat.

e. Fast Speed: You can move faster than the average person.
Prerequisites: Base Fortitude save bonus +5, base Reflex save bonus +5, Endurance, Dex 13+.
Benefit: You gain an increase of 10 feet to your base speed. This counts as an enhancement bonus. You gain this benefit only when wearing no heavier than medium armor, and not carrying a heavy load.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

f. Imbue Strike: When engaged in melee, your attacks are charged with supernatural power.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +5, Wis 13+.
Benefit: Your melee attacks gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attacks and damage, and you can bypass DR as if wielding a magic weapon. This includes your unarmed strikes, as well as any melee weapon you wield. A weapon that is itself enchanted uses either its own enhancement bonus or that provided by this feat, whichever is higher. This is a supernatural ability.

G. Enhanced Dodge: You are exceptionally adept at dodging blows.
Prerequisites: 1st Level Fist of Starbuck, Dodge, Dex 13+.
Benefit: You gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC. Unlike the Dodge feat, this bonus applies against all opponents. This benefit replaces (does not stack with) the dodge bonus to AC from the Dodge feat.
Special: May gain as a feat from leveling or as just a bonus feat as long as meet prerequisites.

h. Improved Imbue Strike: Your melee attacks are able to penetrate even the most hardened defenses.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +10, Imbue Strike, Wis 19+.
Benefit: In melee, you can ignore the first 5 points of DR that is negated by any special material type. Special materials described in the DMG include cold iron, silver and adamantine; others may exist at the DM's option.

I. Missile Evasion: You are adept at deflecting multiple incoming arrows, darts and crossbow bolts.
Prerequisites: 1st Level Fist of Starbuck, Dodge, Enchanced Dodge.
Benefit: You gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC against ranged attacks. If you choose to fight defensively, this bonus increases to +8 (stacking with the usual bonus to AC gained from fighting defensively). If you take the total defense action, it increases to +12, again stacking with the usual bonus gained from total defense. Furthermore, if you take the total defense action, a natural 20 on a ranged attack roll doesn't count as an automatic hit on you.
This feat doesn't provide a benefit against effects that require a ranged touch attack roll. You can only use this feat if you are wearing no heavier than light armor, and carrying no more than a light load.

j. Preternatural Reflexes: You gain an almost precognitive insight into evading danger.
Prerequisite: 4th Lv Fist of Starbuck, Lightning Reflexes, Wis 13+
Benefit: Up to three times per day, you can choose to reroll a Reflex save. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it's worse than your original roll. You can only reroll any individual save once.

K. Resist Elements: Compared to the fire of your body and the coolness of your mind, physical heat and cold are insignificant.
Prerequisite: Base Fort +8, Endurance, Wis 13+
Benefit: You gain fire resistance 5 and cold resistance 5.

L. Life Sight: You can perceive the living spirits of creatures around you.
Prerequisites: 4th level Fist of Starbuck, base Will save bonus +5, Alertness, Iron Will, Wis 19+.
Benefit: You can perceive the auras of living, sentient creatures, granting you the blindsense special ability within 60 feet. See the DMG for a description of this ability. Your Soul Sight cannot detect creatures without a life force, such as constructs and undead, nor creatures without an Intelligence score, such as oozes, vermin and certain types of plant -- in some situations, this may give you a clue that a creature is not what it appears to be.

M. Strength of Mind: You can form a last-ditch defense against mental attacks.
Prerequisites: 4th level Fist of Starbuck, Iron Will, Still Mind, Concentration skill, Con 13+, Wis 13+.
Benefit: Once per day, if you fail a Will saving throw, you can make an immediate Concentration skill check against the same DC. Any luck, insight and competence bonuses that applied to the save also apply to the skill check, subject to the normal stacking rules. If the check is successful, you are treated as if you had made your save.

n. Negate Critical: A mortal blow to others is merely dangerous to you.
Prerequisites: 7 th Level Fist of Starbuck, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Dex 13+.
Benefit: When struck by a critical hit or a sneak attack, you may attempt to negate the extra damage. Make an attack roll at your normal attack bonus, against Fort DC 11 + the attack bonus of the attack that hit you. If you succeed, the critical hit or sneak attack becomes only a normal hit. You may use either your Strength or Dexterity bonus on this attack roll, whichever is better. Each use of this feat counts against your attacks of opportunity for the round.If you have a shield or armor of fortification (see the DMG), you must choose whether or not to use this feat before applying the armor's enchantment.

O. Iron Skin: Your body and soul are strong enough to withstand the heaviest blows.
Prerequisites: 4th level Fist of the Starbuck, base Fortitude save bonus +8, Endurance, Wis 15+
Benefits: You gain damage reduction 5/magic, as a supernatural ability. This feat does not give you the ability to penetrate DR as if you were using a magic weapon, unlike creatures that have innate DR.

So how do you like it?
I'm still working on flavor text...

Lord_Zaryn
2004-07-19, 01:11 AM
what are the requirements for the class

Starbuck_II
2004-07-19, 09:55 AM
Doh I thought I had them writen down lol

Prerequisites: Base Reflex save+ 5, Deflect Arrows, Evasion

There I'll modify so its easier to read other post.

Evasion was reason I stated rogues and monks become this class easiest.

A base Reflex of 5 isn't gained for a while, around Lv6 for both.

Zagaroth
2004-07-19, 11:42 AM
but I just can't get the name "Fist of the North Star" Out of my head....

Starbuck_II
2004-07-19, 01:11 PM
but I just can't get the name "Fist of the North Star" Out of my head....

Okay, i'll admit that it made me think of that too ;D

Musrum
2004-07-19, 11:22 PM
Level Base At Fort Reflex Will AC Bonus Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +0 +1 Bonus Feat, Hurricane Kick(2 kick)
2 +2 +3 +3 +0 +1 Hurricane Kick(3 kick)
3 +3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Aurabolt 1/day
4 +4 +4 +4 +1 +2 Bonus Feat
5 +5 +4 +4 +1 +2 Hurricane Kick(4 kick)
6 +6 +5 +5 +2 +2 Aurabolt 2/day
7 +7 +5 +5 +2 +3 Bonus Feat
8 +8 +6 +6 +2 +3 Hurricane Kick(5 kick)
9 +9 +6 +6 +3 +3 Aurabolt 3/day
10 +10 +7 +7 +3 +3 Fist of the Starbuck 1/day,
Hurricane Kick(6 kick), Bonus Feat

This looks too powerful. Compared to a Fighter you loose 1 feat and an increment in you Hit Die to gian 2 skill points, Good reflex saves, AC Bonus, and all your specials.
I'd drop it to Average BAB.

Hurricane Kick: Starting at level 1, in a whirling tornado of blows, a Fist of the Starbuck jumps in the air and spin kicks enemies within 5 feet of them.(if Meduim, 10 feet is Large, determined by Reach). He may use as many kicks as shown on table. If one enemy is present, he may all of his attacks against that single target, however if more than one exists that close he must rotate the attack so every enemy gets attacked at least once before hitting a enemy twice. Uses Unarmed Attack Damage so Ki Strike would apply normally. (Standard action)

Being able to perform a slightly restricted full attack as a standard action at any time is very powerful. I'd consider adding Stunning Fist as a prerequisite and then having Hurricane Kick use up a stun per day.

Starbuck_II
2004-07-19, 11:53 PM
Gave them Monk Bab: I agree that maybe they were a little too good.

A fighter would have to become a rogue or a Monk to even try to be this class:
You can't get Evasion as a Feat ::)

Fighters have many more powerful feats: Specialization and weapon focus , etc.

I don't know, in order for kicks damage to be good your going to have to use the bonus feats to upgrade unarm damage every chance.
You lose out on other good feats in a way.

And I don't know, I'll need to look over how powerful hurricane is before I decide if too powerful as standard.
I applied a -1 penalty to hit with the Hurricane ability to lessen its power to make it reasonable.

Zherog
2004-07-28, 01:33 PM
A fighter would have to become a rogue or a Monk to even try to be this class:
You can't get Evasion as a Feat ::)

Other (core) methods of gaining Evasion:

Ring of Evasion (20K)
2nd level shadowdancer
9th level ranger

Not to mention, there are a handful of non-core prestige classes that grant the ability.

(detailed analysis forthcoming - just wanted to get this comment in first)

Zherog
2004-07-28, 02:10 PM
Prerequisites: Base Reflex save+ 5, Deflect Arrows, Evasion

This is really easy to get into! In fact, a Monk doesn't have to do anything special (other than selecting Deflect Arrows as his 2nd level bonus feat option). You need more in the way of pre-reqs. Ranks in a skill, a feat monks don't get for free - something.

Also, you seem to discount multiclassing as a way into this class. Nothing prevents a fighter from having 2 levels of rogue, for example - in fact, it's a good combo for a Dex fighter.

This is unnecessary; however.... the class has an ability that deals holy damage. Therefore, shouldn't the class require a good alignment (which would go in the pre-reqs, not here).

Fist of the Starbuck's Class skills: Balance, Climb, Concentrate, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge( Arcane), Knowledge(Religion), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

The hit die is OK, and the skills look to be a copy/paste of the monk list.

Class Features
Fist of the Starbuck is not Proficient with any armor. It is Proficient with all simple and a few Exotic Special Weapons( Shuriken, Kama, Nunchaku, Siangham, Ward Cestus, and Bladed Guantlet).

I find it interesting that the class doesn't require Improved Unarmed Strike or give it out at first level. Otherwise, all these special attacks and such are going to provoke attacks of opportunity.

Hurricane Kick: Starting at level 1, in a whirling tornado of blows, a Fist of the Starbuck jumps in the air and spin kicks enemies within 5 feet of them.(if Meduim, 10 feet is Large, determined by Reach). He may use as many kicks as shown on table. If one enemy is present, he may all of his attacks against that single target, however if more than one exists that close he must rotate the attack so every enemy gets attacked at least once before hitting a enemy twice. Uses Unarmed Attack Damage so Ki Strike would apply normally. (Standard action). Each attack has a - 1 penalty to hit due to its hard to focus your attacks while spinning in the air.

As has been mentioned, this is way too good. You're basically giving out Whirlwind Attack for free here.

Aurabolt: Range: 15+ 15/Level (Only Count double Fist of Starbuck class LV), Width: 15 feet, Reflex Save ½, DC 10+ wis+ Lv ( Fist of Starbuck class LV). Holy Damage counts as 2x to Undead. It counts as a magical attack, so spell resist applies. Damage 1d10 +1/lv (Only count Double Fist of Starbuck Level). (Standard action)

As mentioned higher up, an evil character with this class shouldn't be able to do holy damamge. Is this ability intended to be a cone? That's what I gather from the mention of a width. Also, the part I bolded doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why are you doubling the class level?

If this is a cone, the "math" is incorrect. A Cone Effect is always as wide as it is long. So if your cone is 30 feet long (at 2nd level), it should also be 30 feet wide. Given that, you are potentially effecting a HUGE area with this ability!

Fist of the Starbuck: Use 1/day, Range: 5 feet per lv of Character., Width: 15 feet + 5/10 Levels.
Damage: 1d6 per Lv ( Character Lv). Energy Type-Sonic, breaks through hardness(hardness doesn';t count). Reflex save ½(see text). Dc 10+ Wis+ Lv.(Fist of Starbuck Lv) Fail, take damage + effect. Roll a 1d4: 1. Weapons, 2. Armor/shield, 3. Magical gear, 4. Mundane Gear. (Choose random item from list/category). Roll a Reflex save for object same DC, Succeed Negate, fail it takes the same damage as you.. (usually destroying it)
(This is a standard action that focuses the power of the fist into a wave of sonic blasts)

This also seems to be an area attack; you use "width" again, so I am left to assume it's a Cone effect, so you'll need to correct that.

This is just way too good. Normally, items carried are only affected on a save of a natural one, not a failed save.

Bonus Feats: These feats are taken from the following List:
A. Fist Special Feats-described below
B. Book Sword & Fists: Fists of Iron, Knock Down, Lightning Fists, Close- Quarters Fighting, Eagle Claw Attack, and Feign Weakness.
C. From Player's handbook: Acrobatics, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Endurance, Great Fort, Greater 2 weapon Fighting, Improved Crit, Improved Disarm, Improved Grapple, Improved 2 weapon Fighting, Improved initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Improved trip, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobilty, Power Attack, Snatch Arrow, Toughness, 2 Weapon Defenses, 2 Weapon Fighting, Weapon finesis, weapon Focus, or Whirlwind Attack.

This is an awful lot of bonus feats to list when you'll only gain 4 feats over the length of the whole class. There's also some balance issues with your custom feats, but I'm going to attempt to be lazy and avoid going through all of those. I'd recommend you drop the custom feats from the class, and stick to the list you provide above. Alternatively, drop the feats from Sword and Fist and the Player's Handbook, and allow only the custom feats. The custom feats need a ton of work to balance them out, though - a lot of them are easily abused.

Overall, this class is just too good! A rogue or monk 2 combined with any other class (fighter, ranger, paladin, etc) is going to really love this class. Whirlwind attack for free, bonus feats, area attack spell like abilities, etc.

I see some really good flavor in it, but it needs work mechanically.

Starbuck_II
2004-07-28, 07:19 PM
Okay i'm making sure its Alignment good.

Next YOU can't have Deflect arrow without improved unarm strike? Its impossible. Check monk gives you umarm strike and no one gives you deflect arrow without it.

Okay I lowered that the bonus feats are just the custum ones.

If you have a ability once a day, how is that too powerful to affect a item?
You have to fail two reflex saves for the items to be affected? If you are that unlucky its not the abilities fault. :P

I'm not sure why I put double lv of Fist but I changed it.

For a fighter to become the class he needs 2 Rogue giving +3 base reflex and be sixth lv Fighter for another +2 base reflex. That is needed for a +5 base reflex.

So by 8th level if he really wanted to be that: good for him.

And Having deflect arrow and Evasion and Base Reflex +5 isn't as easy as you make it. Remember you need to be lv 6 monk. That is the average time needed to get a prestiege class I think says in DMG.

The Blast effect of Aurabolt isn't a cone because I think a cone can be too powerful.
I wanted to limit the Width to 15 feet, but the Range 15feet +15/2 lvs feet more. If you think it needs to be more wider I'll consider it.

Now tell me how a "hindered Whirlwind" is equivalent to a full powered whirlwind that isn't lowered in attacks and not applied a -1 penalty to hit?
Unless you have only two enemies its a weaker and less accurate one.
But since you think its too nice: i'll move it up a level so no one joins for only that level.

If you are allowed two PRCs and you make mine the scond okay you can be a Fist oi the Starbuck but not every Dm likes others doing that.
If a High level ranger becomes it good for them:
But I said Fighters can't.
Not Fighter/whatever but Fighter it self.

Zherog
2004-07-28, 10:22 PM
And Having deflect arrow and Evasion and Base Reflex +5 isn't as easy as you make it. Remember you need to be lv 6 monk. That is the average time needed to get a prestiege class I think says in DMG.

Yes, a level 6 monk who did absolutely nothing special to get to that point. He didn't have to make any choices - it all just falls in his lap.

The Blast effect of Aurabolt isn't a cone because I think a cone can be too powerful.
I wanted to limit the Width to 15 feet, but the Range 15feet +15/2 lvs feet more. If you think it needs to be more wider I'll consider it.

If it's not a cone, I don't understand why you're giving a width. Is it a "line" effect like a Lightning Bolt(except wider, of course)?

If you are allowed two PRCs and you make mine the scond okay you can be a Fist oi the Starbuck but not every Dm likes others doing that.
If a High level ranger becomes it good for them:
But I said Fighters can't.
Not Fighter/whatever but Fighter it self.

Nothing in the rules prevents multiple prestige classes. When I'm looking at the balance of a class, I don't care if some DM's don't allow it.

A straight fighter can most certainly get into this class. All he needs to do is buy a Ring of Evasion and take the feats. Done deal.

Starbuck_II
2004-07-29, 10:04 AM
Actually no he can't: Check I stated specifically Ring of Evasion doesn't count ;D

Second: The Hurricane kick deals unarm damage: If a fighter doesn't take the Enhanced Unarmed Strike Feat as his bonus from Levels in Fist if Starbuck his attack is 1d2 or 1d3. If he does 1d6, a sword is still better ::)
To a powerplaying Fighter that is weak, why not use a sword?
Over time sure, he could build it up to do okay.
But still He can't take the class with a ring I said you can't in the Prerequisites.

Actually you did make a choice: 2nd level monk have a bonus feat: Combat reflexes or Deflect arrow.
You think two choices don't count as a choice? Yes, the monk didn't have to waste a feat, but he did have a choice.

If it's not a cone, I don't understand why you're giving a width. Is it a "line" effect like a Lightning Bolt(except wider, of course)?
Yes, that is more like the area, a short wider lightning bolt I guess.

I added a new Prerequisite: to empathize the quick and nimble aspect of class: 8 ranks of Escape Artist.
Now you have to choose to place 8 ranks worth in the skill. And yes it is a choice if you wish to become it.
Also to a lesser extent you need to be able to concentrate your chi so 4 ranks of Concentrate.

I eliminated the -1 penalty to hit for Hurricane kick and implemented a attack of opportunity save.
Roll a Reflex save negate DC 10 +Level of highest level target or provoke attacks of opportunity from each.

Zherog
2004-07-29, 10:27 AM
Skill ranks make an excellent requirement. Escape artist is one of many you could pick from. Balance and Tumble would be two others to consider should you decide Escape Artist isn't quite right.

Evasion Feat: Rings of Evasion do not count/

Mind if I offer a suggestion on how to reword this? Try:

Must have Evasion as a class feature

That way, should Evasion ever become available through a magical source other than a Ring of Evasion, you still have your requirement the way you want it.

Finally, given that the area of effect of Aurabolt is similar to lightning bolt, would you mind if I made an attempt to reword it for you?

Starbuck_II
2004-07-29, 10:33 AM
If you can reword the Aurabolt to be clearer sure let me see how you do. Thanks for the help ;D

Okay Tumble makes some sense more so than escape artist so i'll exchange that.

Zherog
2004-07-31, 08:35 PM
BAH! I know I reworked Aurabolt earlier this week. I must have previewed it and not submitted it. In the words of Belkar - "Damn it!" Let's try again. Sorry I'm giving this to you so close to the deadline....

The original, so nobody has to scroll up to read it:

Aurabolt: Range: 15+ 15/ 2 Levels (Only Count Fist of Starbuck class LV), Width: 15 feet, Reflex Save ½, DC 10+ wis+ Lv ( Fist of Starbuck class LV). Holy Damage counts as 2x to Undead. It counts as a magical attack, so spell resist applies. Damage 1d10 +1/lv (Only count Fist of Starbuck Level). (Standard action)

Hopefully, I get vaguely close to what I had in mind earlier this week. it's been a while since I thought about it....

Aurabolt (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a Fist of Starbuck learns to focus his chi into a wave of holy (or unholy) power that strikes his enemies. Activating the wave requires a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The wave is 15 feet wide, and 15 feet long, plus an additional 15 feet for every class level. Good aligned Fists of the Starbuck do Holy damage, and evil aligned do Unholy damage. A neutral FotS must choose one when he gains this ability, and he can never change it after that point. Damage dealt by the wave is equal to 10 + 1 point per fist of the starbuck level. A Holy Aurabolt does double damage against undead and evil outsiders, while an unholy Aurabolt does double damage to good outsiders. The damage from an Aurabolt can be halved by making a successful reflex saving throw. The DC is equal to 10 + class level + the character's wisdom modifier

Let me know how that looks. I slightly changed the Holy damage, and added a counterpart for unholy damage. Everything else should be the same concept you had before.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-01, 12:34 PM
I like it thanks for the help!
Reworked Alignment to allow evil because mastering the body/chi isn't something only good can do.

Hope I get a few votes lol
Edit: Also added Perform, due to a soapbox for another class said it should be for every classs.

Invariel
2004-08-01, 05:29 PM
Starbuck's following my lead... :) Kire'll be pleased.