PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Tales I

Levyathyn
2009-01-06, 02:30 AM
Dawn breaks in through the tiny slats on the wall, spreading around the thin bars. Slowly, the golden beams crawl across the ceiling, sliding down the grungy stone walls and resting on a man's face. Blearily, his eyes open and examine his surroundings. The small room is only about three meters squared, but it goes up about four. Three tiny, barred windows bleed light into the room. In the glow of the sun, he can see the dirt congealed in the cracks of the brickwork, evidence of the age. Behind him, just over his right shoulder, is a heavy wooden door. A tiny slat, about eye-height, lies closed behind small bars. In the bottom of the door, he can just make out another slat, this one wider, for shoving food through. An old plate of gruel sits, rotten and covered in flies, in front of it. This is what he smells. Finally, he draws his attention back to himself. He hurts in many places, especially his shoulders. He moves his arms and learns why. His wrists are chained together above him. His feet lightly rest on the ground, manacled, as he dangles from the ceiling. His face is slightly beaten; The taste of blood is still fresh in his mouth. Finally, looking down, he can see that his ribs are bruised and he's only wearing a pair of old tattered pants. Wearily, he groans as he remembers the events of the night previous.

The door bursts open in a hail of splinters as two heavy men shoulder through it. He stands up quickly from the bed, slipping out of the sheets easily. In a quick gesture, he scoops up his clothes from the floor as the two guards draw blackjacks. He rushes to the window as the girl sreams behind him, still in bed. With a glance, he can see plainly that she cares more for her own modesty than his immediate future. Her white knuckles tightly grip the sheet over her nethers as she looks from guard to guard. Their faces, each sporting a cruel leer, aren't giving her a second thought as they slowly approach the young man. His options lacking, he viciously kicks open the balcony doors and steps out.

Immediately he feels the cool night air rush over his skin. Struggling to get his pants on, he hears heavy booted feet crushing glass to pursue him. As he grabs the rest of his stuff, he throws a glance over the edge. Three floors down, he sees an old friend waiting to meet him. The cobblestones of Sargonas. With a frantic look behind him, he steps up onto the lip, hesitant. A gust of wind throws him off balance, and rough hands grab him from behind. As he struggles, he feels the hands slip off of his bare chest. With a sudden lunge, he leaps off of the balcony and plummets.

He grunts in pain as his hands quickly reach out and snatch the passing first floor balcony. The sudden stop yanks his shoulders almost out of joint and snaps his body taut, feet above the ground.

In the jail cell, he groans in embarassment as his shoulders sullenly ache.

Dropping lightly to his bare feet, he turns heel and leaves, quickly. He races through the chill, empty streets, various guards in hot pursuit. A fine evening mist conceals his movements as he twists and turns through various back alleys, but soon, he emerges into Artor Square. A couple of city watchmen, noticing his shirtless flight, glance at him suspiciously. Before he can speak, two of the merchant's guard rush out of the fog behind him. "Get him!" With a nod, the four guards close on him. He feels a metal knee come up into his ribs sharply as an elbow smashes into his back. With some difficulty, he manages to wriggle free, only to find himself on the run again. And now, his stuff is long gone. Quickly, he notices the fenced off grounds of the Morley Estate to his left. Once again on familiar ground, he beats feet through another back alley, three of the guards in chase. Turning left, he begins to form a plan. The end of the alley is a dead-end, though he knows that one of the doors there will be unlocked. With a sudden grin, he picks up speed and runs through the fog as wisps curl round his body.

The sound of heavy footsteps appraoch as he lunges for the doorknob. The night is still and quiet as the sound of the tumblers catching reverberates through the night. He falls to his knees, tires, as the guards approach. Suden, violent blows to his consciousness send him reeling as said consciousness escapes.

As he realizes just where he's at, he noties the sound of the door slat opening. After a second, it slams shut again, leaving him alone. Around him, the prison comes to life, though he doesn't notice it at all.

----------

OOC: On your map of Sargonas, 94 is the Merchant's House, 51 is the building marking Artor Square, and number 52 is the Morley Estate. The alley just north of that (under 84 and 83) is where you flee, turning down to 78, the ramshackle slum building where Kit stays.

loopy
2009-01-06, 02:43 AM
I cough, tasting the copper tang of blood in my mouth. "Well... I suppose she was worth it. Never knew bedding a girl was worth a stay in jail... and who do these pants belong to?"

I shake my arms gingerly, testing the chains binding me to the cell wall. My shoulder aches, blue-black bruises visible on most of my body, feet raw and ragged from, presumably, being dragged.

"Hello?" I call, taking another look around the cell.

Levyathyn
2009-01-06, 02:53 AM
Your voice echoes lightly, but no other reply comes to you. The room is far from pristine, but the floor, though dirty and a little uneven, is featureless. Nothing in the room looks remotely usable as a tool; Even the skeletons, if there ever were any, have been removed.

Roll a spot check and a listen check, please.
In the future, feel free to initiate checks yourself.

loopy
2009-01-06, 03:00 AM
I squint and try to silence the throbbing headache enough to get a good measure of my surroundings, but to no avail.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Levyathyn
2009-01-06, 03:14 AM
Straining your neck, looking in either direction, you fail to see anything. Cold, grey brick stares at you from every direction. A few muffled sounds filter through the room, but you can't make out anything distinct. As you fail repeatedly at everything*, you hear a large clank. As you listen, keys jangle as the door is unlocked. After a moment, it swings open and a guard steps in. He removes the plate of gruel, and seconds later, you hear the door being locked back up.

*Rofl

loopy
2009-01-06, 03:28 AM
"Hey! Hey! Excuse me, I hadn't finished that!" I comment in good-humor. "Assuming that you are the man that runs this fine establishment, could you perhaps come back and tell me what is going on?"

I jangle my chained arms for effect. "The name is Alec, by the way, what might yours be?"

loopy
2009-01-06, 03:30 AM
Oops!
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-06, 03:40 AM
The noise stops, aand the metal slat slides back. From here, you can't see the guard's face, but you can hear him spit. It splats a few feet away from you, and he slams the slat and walks off, chuckling.

loopy
2009-01-06, 03:45 AM
I examine, in this order:
-The chains that bind my arms
-Whether there are any implements in reach of my hands or feet that could be suitable for picking a lock with.
-The items the cell contains.

Levyathyn
2009-01-06, 04:27 AM
A single chain is double-threaded through a metal ring bolted to the ceiling above you. The two seperate chins are each individually linked to the manacle cuffs where they terminate. The cuffs are old and rusty, but seem secure. Luckily, they don't appear to have been fitted to you, but they're still tight. Your feet are chained together with another pair of rusty cuffs. The chain that binds them together also goes through a ring, this one bolted in the brick between your legs. If you shift just right, you can slide one leg close to the ring and create slack, freeing your other leg to move around, up to about two feet from you, but it hurts like hell to do it. As far as where you can see, the two corners of the room with the windows have nothing in them, and you can't see anything at all on this side of the room. Twisting your neck to and fro, you find it's hard to see anything towards the door, much less anything you can reach.

However, you can hear a group of footsteps approaching the door. Light, muffled voices come through, and eventually, the door begins to open.

Two guards stay by the door as an older man walks in. His hair is lined with dark gray, as is his beard. He wears a simple tabard over heavy leather mail; An ornate longsword rests at his right side, while a worn but useful dagger alights on his left. He stares at you with contempt, his face sneering. He appears to be amused. With a strong grip, he raises one gloved hand aand grasps you by the jaw. He turns your face left and right, examining your wounds, all while smiling. He leans in close, and you can smell the stink of wine on his breath.

"Well, young taffer. You've landed in deep **** now. Of course, I know why you're really here." He says, with a hint of conspiracy in his voice. "Not that anyone here cares. Hell, not that anyone in the town cares. You rats have got to learn to stay away, and I suppose that if you won't be enough of a lesson to them, there'll always be more." His voice is rich and sinister, filled with hidden pleasures of the night and illicit takings. His face, however, is pale and drawn, cracking with age. He let's go of your face and steps back, chuckling. He draws a small object from his belt and dangles it in front of you. It's one of your lockpicks, and a good one at that. Laughing, he drops it on the ground five feet in front of you.

"I always like the feelings of hope prisoners get. Especially the part where I dash them. Guards, lock it up." He says as he steps out of the room. "One of you, stay here and make sure he rots. I'll be coming for him soon enough." He walks away briskly, his brown cape flowing behind him. "Yessir." Answers one of the guards, tough looking chap who seems like he might have trouble on a test where the only question was 'List your name, please.' He sneers, pulling his scarred lips tight, and locks the door.

On the floor, painfully out of reach, you can see sunlight filtering in and gleaming on the crisp edges of the lockpick.

loopy
2009-01-07, 02:11 PM
"Lord, thats why I love this town, everyone is so jekkin' friendly!" Alec smiles painfully. "Nothing for it then, I suppose."

Alec begins to work his way out of the cuffs, taking his time, shifting his fingers around to thin the profile of his hands as much as possible.

"What I'd give for a pair of dainty elvish hands right now..."

Take 20 on an Escape Artist check, its all I can do, from what I see.

Levyathyn
2009-01-07, 04:44 PM
You easily manage to wriggle free, though it takes time. You grab the lockpick as you hear the guard outside clear his throat. After a tense moment, you hear him yawn, and relax. The heavy door is still sealed and the viewing slat is closed up. Behind you, you can see the light coming in through the barred windows, but they look too small to climb through.

Levyathyn
2009-01-09, 01:16 AM
A quick search of the cell turns up some suspicious material. In the corner of the room to the right of the windows is a small collection of tiny wood splinters. On the stone wall nearby those is a moderate sized bloodstain, Small scratches are visible on one of the window's bars, and it appears that one of the previous lodgers in this very room tried to escape through them.

On looking outside of said window, you suddenly hear the rush of the sea; you find yourself a few stories up looking out onto the Bay of Fire. At this early period, you can see how the place got it's name, as orange sunlight reflecting off of the sea is brilliant and beutiful to behold from up here.
Finally, while examining the wall by the door, you notice an oddity in the bricks. Working quickly, you pry up what appears to be a false stone. The stone is hollow inside, and when you reach in, you find a handwritten note on parchment, tattered and stained with age.

The note appears to be from a man named John, though his surname is unreadable. He writes:

-----

"If you're reading this, then for some reason or another, King [Illegible] thinks you've done something [Illegible], or maybe he just doesn't like you. It took me [Illegible] to dig this hole once I had found the false stone, and I leave here an old man, who is [Illegible] going to die. Get out while you can, and please, put the stone back so [Illegible] [Illegible] can follow in our tracks. I didn't do this for you, I did it for Sophia."

-John [Illegible]
-----

As you reach through the empty space, you realize that many of the surrounding stones are loose. Cool wind blows up from beneath you as you stick your head through, and when you look down, you can see the hollow wall leading down into pitch black.

loopy
2009-01-09, 01:51 AM
Alec sends up a silent prayer of thanks for John, whoever he may be. Quickly and quietly, he removes and stacks the stones, so he can rebuild the wall once he is through.

As soon as the hole is large enough, he wriggles through, transfers the stone through the hole, and begins rebuilding the wall, keeping an ear out for any changes outside.

Listen: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-09, 02:33 AM
Listening closely, you only hear the hissing of air through gaps in the stonework and the gentle roar of the sea.

loopy
2009-01-09, 02:47 AM
Once the wall has been rebuilt I stretch my tired muscles as much as the cramped conditions will allow me to, then start making my way down the passageway.

Levyathyn
2009-01-09, 12:36 PM
The narrow chute is large enough for you to fit easily. The trick, however, is in the few footholds inside the wall. The small footholds are slippery from years of exposure to the seaside air.

Make a balance check against DC 15

Levyathyn
2009-01-09, 01:32 PM
Barely managing to keep your footing, you slowly begin to descend down the space. After a few minutes of careful work, you find yourself below the level of the floor, going deeper. You notice that the room creates and echo chamber. You can soon hear the sound of footsteps reverberating through the wall. You hear the sound of complex locks being opened. The door swings wide open with harsh, metallic groans, and raised voices shout out muffled commands.

loopy
2009-01-09, 01:44 PM
Oh hells, looks like I'm busted. Sure hope this bloody tunnel leads somewhere. Alec continues proceeding down the wall.

Levyathyn
2009-01-09, 02:11 PM
As you tense in anticipation, you realize that the footsteps above are now running through the corridors. You hear a single scream, that of violent death, and a harsh command.

"FIND HIM!" You recognize the voice. "He must NOT escape!"

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 01:38 AM
You descend down the chute a little further, sliding and climbing slowly, cautiously placing your feet on each foothold. You guess after a few more feet that you've descended another level, but you don't know how far down you still have to go.

The chute is pitch black, and the smell reminds you of a graveyard. Old dirt slips under your feet as you place them on portruding bricks and in holes where loose ones have fallen. As you extend down for the next one, your foot slips away as the brick slips out of place and tumbles. You hear the dull echoes as it tumbles down the chute beneath you, terminating in a flat crack. You feel your hands start to slip as your remaining foot loses it's grip. Gravity calls to you, in sudden sweet siren song that sends your heart pounding.

[roll0]

Make a Reflex check, DC 20 to grab a hold of something.

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 01:59 AM
As you struggle to reach a handhold, the brickwork under your other foot gives way, sending you tumbling backwards. Luckily, you don't have far to fall until you hit the ground. Unluckily, you land on the broken pieces of two bricks.

Undoubtedly, every guard has heard you, so you stand up quickly, sore and battered, and feel around you. The stonework is broken, as above, but age and dampness have sealed it up, and you find it impossible to push your way out. You attempt to break out by kicking the bricks, leaning back and using all of your strength.

Strength check time. DC 12.

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 03:06 AM
Your kicks lash out at the wall, but your body is too beaten to put any strength behind them. You collapse, exhausted, as you hear footsteps approach. A heavy blow strikes the wall, and then a second, and dim light begins to pour into the sealed tunnel. Outside, as your eyes adjust, you see the shape of a face blur into focus. A man is looking in at you, alert and cautious, with a sword in his left hand. His right hand is holding a torch high over his head. He wears old chainmail, like the rest of the guards.

"You're the prisoner, aren't you?" He asks, quietly. He throws suspicious glances towards the door as he talks.

loopy
2009-01-10, 03:13 AM
"So they tell me." Alec manages to cough out. "So... come to finish me off then? Seriously, this town really needs to look at the way it treats its criminals... Ah, just be sure to make it quick."

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 03:17 AM
"Not...quite." He smiles grimly as he says this. "We're not even supposed to be in this place, much less keeping prisoners here. The Baron knows about it, though, so there's nothing I can do. My father worked as a night watchman in this city his whole life, though, and I'm not about to drag his name through the mud." He motions with his sword. "Come on, you're lucky I was way down here, where I had hoped not to find you. I think everyone else is looking elsewhere."

He steps way and leaves his back to you as he looks left and right outside in the hallway. With a hiss, he puts the torch out and lays it quietly on the ground.

loopy
2009-01-10, 03:26 AM
Alec shrugs and follows the guard, ready to flee if he makes an aggressive move. "So whats your name, and why in the hells is everyone after me?"

Alec keeps an eye open for any useful items, or anything that can be used as a weapon.

Spot: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 03:33 AM
Looking around the room, you see that this one was obviously not cleared beforehand. Small chunks of rubble are scattered over the floor, and in one corner you see a skeleton with rusty chains around it's legs. The loose manacles are comically too big for the bones, but you don't find it funny.

Near the dead man is the weapon used to finally off him, a rusty shiv. The long blade looks weak and ineffective, but the blade is sharp. It juts out, handle first, from in between the skeleton's ribs.

"Keith Alchar. That's me." He says, managing to flash you a winning smirk. He appears a bit younger than when you first saw him, and you realize he's no older than you.

loopy
2009-01-10, 03:41 AM
Alec picks up the shiv, throwing it from hand to hand and spinning it, trying to get the weight and balance correct. "Alec Thatcher, prisoner by trade and vocation. Pleased to meet you."

I bow, throwing the shiv up with my back hand and catch it as I straighten, smiling roguishly.

Sleight of Hand: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 03:53 AM
Shaking his head, Keith leaves the room and heads right. As you follow him, he whispers to you. "They have a lot of stuff of of some of the prisoners. It's kept up here. They don't usually hve a lot of people, but they've been doing this for a while." He says this last a little bitterly.

As you tread quietly down the corrdior, light becomes visible ahead. To the left, in front of you, a staircase is built into the wall. There's a corner seperating you from it and breaking your line of sight, but the glow of torches or lanterns bounces off of the walls as the bobbing, weaving shapes come down them.

[roll0] Move Silently; Roll one as well.

Around you on either side of the stone corridor are a few doors like the cell doors upstairs. Each room is dark and the doors are all open.

loopy
2009-01-10, 03:56 AM
Alec whispers. "You handle this." He steps back, fading into the shadows.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 09:33 PM
"Uhh..." He says, turning to where you stood seconds before. His shock at seeing you not there evaporates quickly. With a nod, he turns back to the staircase, trying to look casual. The guards turn the corner, and you notice that there's three of them. One of them notices Keith and points at him. "Hey! Who's that?" He yells out, as the other two draw swords. "Keith. I'm just uh...looking for the prisoner." The one who talked looks at the guard to his left suspiciously. "Without a torch?" Keith shrugs and looks sheepish. "I forgot it."

"Come here, then 'Keith'," He says, motioning for the man to approach him. "Let's see your face." Keith nods and does as he says, keeping has hands away from his sword. The guard to his right nods. "That's Keith, I've seen him before." The one in the lead looks back to Keith, and the one who recognied him sheaths his sword. "Well, Keith. What the hell are you doing down here?" Keith looks at the ground for a second. "Pike was guarding the prisoner, and the Warden killed him. I don't want to end up like that."

I'll give you time to do something before my next post, if you want to do anything.

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 09:44 PM
The three guards look at each momentarily, uncertain. Their fear of this Warden overrules any suspicion they have, and they decide to leave. "Not a bad idea, Keith." The one who recognized him says. When they're gone, Keith motions to you from the shadows. "You there?" He whispers.

loopy
2009-01-10, 09:46 PM
"I am." Alec whispers. "Glad I didn't have to gut any of them."

Levyathyn
2009-01-10, 09:54 PM
His face goes pale, but he walks onward. Eventually, you come to a fork; One of the corridors leads left, and one continues straight ahead. You figure you must be underground, because neither of them is lit up at all. "Both paths lead there, and I know there are guards here somewhere, but...what do we do?" He says?

loopy
2009-01-11, 12:35 AM
"Where do the paths lead?" Alec asks, shivering slightly. "I could really use some clothes."

"And since when do prison guards kill each other for letting prisoners escape?"

Levyathyn
2009-01-11, 12:42 AM
"The guards aren't the problem. Most of us, like me and those guys back there, we just need the money. And if it was just that, it wouldn't be a problem. We could just get jobs fishing, or roofing, or smithing, but the Baron wouldn't let us if we leave. You ever seen the jail?" He asks. You remember seeing the fenced in guard quarters with the jailhouse next to it, and nod. "That's not where you are. You're at the abandoned jailhouse, the one outside of town. No one's supposed to be here, but the Baron lets the Warden take prisoners here, prisoners that aren't even supposed to be under arrest. Some people even come here from Deepwood and the Bayous." He glances left and right, and speaks again after a minute. "In all probability, both of these paths are guarded. Both of them have a few jail cells along the way, but the old barracks is where they're keeping the stuff, and both corridors head there. If we go together, we might encounter trouble, but if we go apart, one of us might. I just...don't know." He shakes his head grimly. "I suppose if you wanted to, you could go alone. Or I could. But I've never been in a situation like this."

On your map, the jail is 38. From what he's telling you, you're at 103.

loopy
2009-01-12, 01:08 AM
"Let's stick together, you are my only ally in the forsaken place... But are you prepared to take a life if need be?" Alec shrugs. "Cos if you can't take the thought of killing a fellow guard if we are discovered..."

"Lets take the left path." I pad off silently. "Coming?"

Levyathyn
2009-01-12, 03:12 AM
He nods grimly, but continues with you. Quietly, as you both traverse the dark corridor, he whispers. "Well, most of the guys are like me. Most. The ones that aren't, the ones that guard the prisoners and the treasure, their from the Warden's personal stock. He handpicked them, and let me tell you, he didn't pick them for their compassionate natures." He says, with a hint of dry humor. "If they come at us, I won't have a problem." He grips the hilt of his sword for effect.

"I'm starting to think we would be better off if I didn't have this damned armor on. " He says as the slight rustle of chainmail fills the dark, oppressive silence of the hall. as you walk down the corridor, the dirty brick walls on either side of you give way to heavy wooden doors as you pass empty cells. The pitch black rooms gape at you like the maw of some huge monster. Beneath your feet the cobblestone work has aged and deteriorated; You can feel the roughness of the stones displaced over decades of wear. The smell of rot and blood fills your nose, growing stronger as you walk by each of the doors. Ahead, the path branches off again. You've covered part of a square, and the corridors now lead left, to the direction you came from, and right, further on. When you reach the fork, you notice that about three meters in to the left passageway, the stonework from a level above has collapsed, sealing the way through. The only way ahead is right. In tht direction, a low but steady source of light can barely be seen. "There. That's where they are." Keith tells you as he stares into the darkness, alert.

loopy
2009-01-12, 01:21 PM
"How many?" Asks Alec, keeping his voice as low as possible. "I think if you could act guard-like and get them turned around... I could take out at least one, no muss no fuss." He shrugs.

"If you can handle that. I don't want to risk you any more than necessary, friend Keith."

Levyathyn
2009-01-12, 01:37 PM
He looks at you as he steels his nerves and takes a deep breath. "I'm not supposed to be down here, but I'll see if I can't do something useful. In fact...I'm having an idea right now." He says, as he smirks at you. "Unless you've got a better plan?"

loopy
2009-01-12, 03:16 PM
"None at all!" Alec flashes Keith a smile. "Best of luck though."

Levyathyn
2009-01-13, 11:58 PM
He looks at you with one eyebrow raised. "Alright." He points to a door right by the corner. "If you think you're up to it, you could sneak in there and wait. I'll tell them I've found you elsewhere, and when they follow, you come out and...kill them." He says.

Levyathyn
2009-01-16, 07:59 PM
Quickly slipping inside the pitch black cell, you immediately disappear from Keith's sight. The guards, however, are apparently drawn by the noise, and they come rushing around the corner with their swords drawn. These three look like much tougher customers than the others. Their angry faces leave no room for deciet or bluffing. "Who the hell are you?" One of them barks out. Keith adopts a similar no nonsense attitude, and it seems to work. "Keith. They sent me down here in case the prisoner came down." He speaks quickly, with a sense of urgency. "I found him, he's right back here in one of the cells. I slammed the door on him." Drawing his sword, he turns and runs back down the hall, slipping past your cell. The others follow suit. Keith stops when they get to the next door, and the men all quietly nod and step to the side.

loopy
2009-01-18, 05:08 AM
Hide:
Move Silently: [roll]1d20+9
(Hopefully the bonuses due to the distraction and darkness will negate any bad rolling that I do)

Alec slips out behind the guards, shiv ready. His pulse races, blade shaking slightly, and he fights to keep his breathing steady as he approaches the guards, hugging the wall behind them.

He approaches one from behind, slipping a hand over his mouth, jerking his head down so the jugular vein is exposed with the windpipe. Drawing the shiv quickly across his victims throat, Alec lowers the man's feebly moving body to the ground as quietly as possible, stifiling the faint coughs and gasps with his hand.

Move Silently for the body: [roll1]

Adrenaline flowing, Alec leaps towards the other guard to drive his shiv into his lungs, throat, and heart. If the guard turns around and remains standing, Alec aims a hard punch at the guards throat.

If he's aware of me:
Hit: [roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]+[roll4]+3= 8
Hope I've provided enough detail. :)

Levyathyn
2009-01-18, 04:22 PM
((OOC: To keep the game moving, I've decided that, for whatever reason your Move Silently roll didn't happen, it's just a 10+9))

[roll0] Listen check for the other two guards.

Oblivious to the sounds of struggle or execution, the second guard is caught unware as you come up behind him. He puts up a fight, though, and tries to scream.

Roll grapple check to maintain his silence.

Noticing the slight struggle, Keith keep shis eyes locked on the door as he opens it.

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 02:13 AM
The guard's struggles pay off, and he lifts his head up quick enough to yell before you choke down on him. The other guard turns and draws his sword suddenly, glee in his face. Behind him, Keith, forgotten, draws his sword. The man in your grasp however, is unlucky. Even as he slips from your clutches, your jagged, rusty knife slides accross his throat and opens it to the cool night air. A spray of blood surprises both guards as he goes down. A long, slender crescent of crimson on the wall marks his short trip to the floor. The other guard glares at you with angrily. He raises his sword, and is surprised as Keith suddenly grabs him from behind.

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 02:15 AM
[roll0] Keith's Grapple check.
[roll1] Guard's Escape check.

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 02:24 AM
The guard, slipping free easily, whips around and looks at Keith. "What the hell? You're in on it!" He yells, before turning and running past you. He easily slips by your attack and runs down the hall to the treasure room. You can hear him yelling for the other guards.

loopy
2009-01-19, 02:29 AM
Alec runs after the other guard and attempts to ankle-tap him, or failing that tackle him to the ground.

Dex check for the ankle tap: [roll0]
Grapple: [roll1]

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 02:31 AM
[roll0] Reflex
[roll1] Escape Artist.

If you don't succeed, then damn.

loopy
2009-01-19, 02:39 AM
Seeing the freakishly nimble guard dodge all attempts to bring him down, Alec throws his shiv at the fleeing man.

Hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 03:02 AM
The guard takes the knife in the back and stumbles into the corner. He falls into the far wall, dazed, but his cries draw the other guards. Keith leans down and pulls something off of the downed guard in front of him. He tosses you a knife, sharp steel glimmering in the torchlight.

loopy
2009-01-19, 06:02 AM
"Keith, my friend." Alec says wryly. "We are, in laymans terms, in very deep **** indeed. I pray to Kairi that we didn't alert the whole prison, or we could be in a lot of trouble."

Alec moves over to the guard in the corner, grab him by the scruff of the neck, then drives his head into the wall.

He then pulls the shiv out of the back of the guard, wiping off the blade before wielding it in his offhand.

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 08:16 PM
The two guards still in the vicinity of the treasure room rush out, swords drawn, and see you. They stand about ten feet in front of you. Keith steps into their view with his sword raised at you, although he gives you a tiny wink. He approaches slowly and swings his blade.

Make a Reflex save, DC 10. He's not really trying.

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 10:11 PM
You nimbly dodge the swing and slap the blade aside with your knife. The other two guards, confident, rush up on you to flank.

loopy
2009-01-19, 10:15 PM
As soon as the guards seem close enough, Alec disengages from Keith and acrobatically flips between them and through to the empty corridor, setting up a new flank (not that the guards are aware of it).

Tumble 1: [roll0]
Tumble 2: [roll1]

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 10:41 PM
The guards swing at you, but their blades go high and low as you whirl and roll through them. They whip around, ready to give chase, when Keith sets on them from behind. His blade flashes as he lunges forward with it.

[roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-19, 10:43 PM
[roll0]

Keith's sword pierces the guard's back like a spear, driving into and through his chest. The sword's point slices through the front of the guard, sliding around the chainmail, as blood erupts from the wound. The second guard, closest to you, spins around in horror as Keith yanks his sword out. The guard tumbles to the floor, dead, in a puddle of quickly spreading blood. Keith, breathing heavily, looks grim and dour, but resolute. He raises his sword, steady, at the second guard.

loopy
2009-01-19, 11:20 PM
Alec stabs at the remaining guard in the back with both daggers, intending to finish the fight once and for all.

First attack:
Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]+3=

Second attack:

Hit: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]+[roll5]+3=

Levyathyn
2009-01-20, 12:20 AM
You slash and miss, and he swings the sword at you clumsily. The blade scrapes across your bare skin; Droplets of blood sail, noiselessly through the dark.

loopy
2009-01-20, 12:28 AM
Alec's new dagger doesn't penetrate his victims armour, but the shiv rakes across the front of the guards leg, cutting the hamstring.

As the guards's leg buckles, Alec delivers a vicious kick to his knee, satisfied to hear a crunching sound. He brings his dagger slicing upwards, cutting the guard's throat as his latest victim falls.

Levyathyn
2009-01-20, 01:16 AM
The two of you stand, alone, in the empty corridor. The sound of yelling and rushing footfalls come to your ears, but they're distnt. The open door to the room glows soflty in the torchlight.

loopy
2009-01-20, 01:34 AM
Alec checks the guards bodies, his hands shaking quite a bit. "You know, that would be the first time I've ever killed a man. I can't say I like it very much..."

"Now, we better get to that treasure room quickly, before more guards find us. Perhaps we should move these bodies into one of the cells."

Levyathyn
2009-01-20, 01:59 AM
Keith, wiping off his sword, nods. "Mine, too. Can't say I'm a big fan." He pauses and tilts his head to the side. "No time for that, they know where we are. Let's just grab and run." That said, he rushes into the room.

loopy
2009-01-20, 02:04 AM
Alec follows him, quickly making a mental inventory of the treasure room.

Perception: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-20, 02:46 PM
The room is sparse and lit by two torches on opposite sides of the room, left and right. There is a heavy door, bolted from the inside, across from you. In the middle of the room is a square, wooden table. A smaller table, laid out with cards in mid-game, sits in the corner. A small candle in a wooden stand drips wax onto the bare surface of the table. In the far right corner, by the door, is a bunk bed. A few objects are in the room, in the corners and on the table, though probably less than you were expecting. Keith also appears surprised at the amount of items. "I guess they took some of it. They keep prisoner's items here, and when they die, or if they're just worth enough, they'll sell it or keep it. No one leaves here." He says, shaking his head.

On the table is a familiar set of leather armor. By it is a rolled up leather kit, a collection of mixed tools and devices for opening locks. It too, looks familiar. Beside that is a dagger in a sheath on a small leather belt. A few objects lie against the left wall; All you can see from here are a scimitar on top and two coils of rope on some other misshapen objects.

Levyathyn
2009-01-21, 12:43 AM
In the pile of goods to the left of the wall, you find:

-An old shield with a a yellow and red coat of arms on it, faded. The main image is a raven's head, looking left.
-A weathered axe.
-A small sack of objects. When turned out, you see an old, rusty pair of metal bracers and a book written in some runic letters you can't read.
-A purse, filled with a small number of steel coins.
-A steel chestplate. A large tear in the front is rimmed with blood.
-A used wooden longbow, thought it's in good condition.
-A small wooden case, though there appears to be no way to open it.
-A net, folded nice and tightly together. Still damp.
-An old, dirty jar.
-Three shirts, two of them white, one a red brocade with long sleeves.
-A pair of black slacks.
-A hunting knife, sharp and metallic, in a leather sheath.
-An empty map case.
-A backpack.

Purse as in small coin-pouch, not a woman's bag with straps. It has three steel coins in it and seven copper ones. Inside the backpack:
-A small assortment of salted meats, enough for about two days alone.
-A small wooden coil of flax fishing line.
-Two small, dark stones.

Do you decide to search anywhere else in the room?

loopy
2009-01-21, 01:48 AM
Alec spies the clothes, slipping on the black slacks, the red brocade shirt, and the white shirt over the red. He then dons the leather armour.

"Well, fashionable enough for a prison escape, I suppose."

He ties the leather sheath around his leg, the purse around his waist, then starts stuffing items into his backpack.

-Wooden lonbow
-Net
-Book
-Map Case
-Metal bracers

"Take what you need, Keith, while I go grab some boots." Alec proceeds to run back to the corpses and take some boots off one of the guards.

Levyathyn
2009-01-24, 10:31 PM
Keith kneels and rifles through the random equipment, unsure. He doubtfully picks up the bright shield. After a minute, he shrugs and stands with it. He slings it onto his back and waits.

Meanwhile, as you put on the boots you lifted from one of the guards, you hear hurried footsteps closing in. The torch on the wall flickers as dozens of booted feet trample through the stone corridor.

loopy
2009-01-24, 10:46 PM
"Time to go, Keith." Alec hurries back and picks up the case. "Where too?"

Levyathyn
2009-01-24, 10:55 PM
Keith shrugs and looks at the heavy door. "I think that leads out. I'm not sure; I've only come in or left by the dock service door." He says.

loopy
2009-01-24, 11:02 PM
"Let's go then. After you!" I stand next to the door case in hand.

Levyathyn
2009-01-24, 11:21 PM
Keith nods and rushes to the door. He turns the latch and nothing happens. He looks up at once, panic on his face, and tries again. The level clicks and clicks and stays shut, firmly. All of the bolts and bars are aside. "It's locked! It's locked!" He says.

loopy
2009-01-24, 11:26 PM
Alec sighs. "Let me have a look at it." He retrieves his lockpick and gets to work.

open lock:[roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-01-24, 11:35 PM
The door gives a last, final click and slowly swings open on heavy hinges. You and Keith rush out into the balmy morning. The yard is sealed in by a large wrought iron fence. The double gate in front of you is about 30 meters away and chained shut. The smooth, cobbled path leading to it slopes gradually uphill. The rest of the yard is low grass and native wildflowers.

Make a Perception check, to be sure.

Levyathyn
2009-01-24, 11:42 PM
The dim, morning glow of the sun burns away at the fog parked through the woods outside of the gate. The dark recesses of the forest seem like a good place to escape. The casual conversation of birds meets your ears as they flit about on their business, oblivious to you and your friend.

loopy
2009-01-24, 11:50 PM
"Lets get out of here and back to town, I have a place we can crash while this dies down." Alec starts walking.

Levyathyn
2009-01-24, 11:54 PM
Keith slams the door and hears it click. "I don't think they'll be giving us trouble." He says with a smile. He begins walking beside you.

[roll0]
[roll1]

As you walk, two bolts whistle by you harmlessly and sink deep into the soft topsoil. From behind you, you hear a muttered curse.

Levyathyn
2009-02-04, 08:46 PM
As the bolts hit the ground, you turn and see two rough-looking soldiers hurriedly reloading their crossbows. The sun, still rising on the other side of the prison building, is invisible from this angle, and the tall tower rises like a spire from hell, dark and sadistic. The guards fire again, and the bolt whizzes by you to strike the ground again harmlessly. As you watch, a sudden gout of blood erupts from the crossbowman who fired at you. His body tumbles forward, headless, as the crimson blood spurts out into the shdow of the tower. The surreal sight is accompanied by the second crossbowman, frozen in terror at the sight of the now-deceased man falling away. The body hits the ground after falling six floors, the head moments later. As you watch in horror, a shadow detaches itself from the wall behind the other guard and makes a quick gesture. The guard spasms as someone or something appears to choke the life out of it. Moments later, the guard collpses into a heap where he stands, not a drop of blood being shed. You see a glint of steel, and then all is quiet.

You turn to Keith, still lost and disconnected from the real world, feeling like it was all a dream. Mere seconds had passed and you saw two men brutally killed. Instantly, you're snapped back to reality when you see the bolt sticking out of Keith's chest. He looks pained, but stable. "I'm not dying here, Alec. I can't do that to my family's name, much less my family." He says. "Let's get the Hell out of here." The chainmail seems to have stopped the worst of the blow, but he still has difficulty climbing over the gate.

loopy
2009-02-08, 09:12 AM
"Yeah, thats right Keith, you can't die. We've got to have many adventures together before you die fat and happy in some castle somewhere, surrounded by worried grand-kids. I'll still be alive of course, but I'll be very saddened by your passing." Alec smiles. "Lets get back to town, so we can find someone to get those twigs out of you."

Alec supports Keith as they begin the trek back to town.

Levyathyn
2009-02-08, 04:15 PM
The guards give you an odd look as you both stumble in to town, but they recognize Keith and his uniform, and let you pass as you help him. You support him as you wander the main road through town. Unsure of where to go, you stand in the middle of Len Square when you notice a church to your left, ahead of you a ways. A priest stands outside in simple white robes, his hands together, greeting everyone who walks by with warmth and kindness. You make your way over there, noticing the sun of Julian over the double doors.

The priest glances at you, a friendly greeting ready, when he notices Keith's condition. "My, let's get him inside right away." He says, leading you through the entrance. The man's hood is pulled down, revealing the face of a kind, middle-aged man, his features worn with years of worry and smiles. As he leads you through the main church, past other hooded priests, his face looks serious and his stride becomes determined. He opens an oaken door to the back and takes you inside, laying Keith down at the table. A young woman with dark hair, surprised at the intrusion, comes to him at the priest's call. "Erica, dear, tend to this man." He says to her. With a nod, she motions you both out of the room and closes the door behind her.

"Fear not, good man. She's my brightest pupil. One day, when I leave, I'm sure she'll make an able priestess indeed." He says before breaking into a smile. "And now, what's your name? 'Tis a rare man indeed who comes to the aid of his fellow in these dark times. No matter, I trust you can look after yourself for a while. The healing will be no problem. Julian blesses our hands with the ability to mend wounds and instilll life. It is a great blessing. I would not worry about your friend here." He says. The main hall of the church is simple yet beautiful; The brilliantly colored stained glass above the altar depicts Julian in fields of wheat, blood on his hands as the rain pours from the sky.

The still air of the room creates a quiet, warm atmosphere. The rows of wooden pews are small in the large room, but the grand majesty of the place gives the impression of a size beyond even what you can see. As you reach the door to the church, the priest gives you a warm smile. "My name is Father Wesley. I've seen your true person," He says with a wry smile, "beneath your demeanor. If you need anything, drop by. I'll make sure the church is a friend." He says, as he raises his arm politely, bidding you farewell. He seems thoughtful for a moment. "Of course, if you do need a place to stay, you're welcome here." He says. "We have beds and food. It's no fine inn, of course, but it's your if you want it."

Len Square is between 58 and 68 on your map, and 5 is the church.

loopy
2009-02-09, 05:41 AM
"I may just have to take you up on your offer of sanctuary, good Father. My friend Keith and I have just... Well, I can't really explain what has occurred over the past few days, but we are in trouble, and I need some time to sit and think about what we are going to do next." If there is a donation box in sight, I put all my coins in it.

Levyathyn
2009-02-09, 05:40 PM
There is indeed a collection box right by the door, but as you reach to it, Father Wesley grabs your hand and stops you. "Please, my son. We provide for ourselves; That money would be better used by you. Julian cares more for your safety than the state of our church." With a subtle nod he acknowledges your statement. "No need to explain. If you wish, I'll lead you to the room now. Is there anyone who would be looking for you right now? I, of course, refer to both those who would seek to do you harm and those who would seek to prevent it."

loopy
2009-02-10, 11:55 AM
"Well, as for friends, I'm sure Liandra will be busy tearing the town apart looking for me. She's a fairly short girl, slim, black hair, pale skin, friendly smile... *ahem*, sorry Father, but you should be able to recognise her if she comes calling." Alec flushes faintly in embarrassment.

"Now, I'm not sure who the people who may come after us will look like, but I'd imagine they'll look like the guards of the prison, either on or off duty." Alec smiles. "Now, I'm innocent, I was framed, and Keith helped me escape, but I'll leave it up to you whether to believe me or not."

Levyathyn
2009-02-10, 06:34 PM
The priest nods in gentle understanding as you describe her. "I'll see what I can do." As you explain your situation, his face darkens. "Yet you came from out of town. I fear there is more to your situation thn even you understand. But worry not. Here, you will both be sheltered from prying eyes. Do as your heart tells you, my good friend, but there is much to do in preparation. Excuse me, please." He says as he turns to leave. He pauses at the first row of pews. "If you do need a room, feel free to ask one of the brothers here." He says before leaving into the back of the church.

loopy
2009-02-11, 05:40 AM
"Brother, if you could direct me to a bed, I must sleep... This day has been a tiring one." Alec asks, after catching the attention of one of the priests.

As soon as he gets directed to a bed, he gets out of his armour and passes out on the bed.

Levyathyn
2009-02-11, 05:03 PM
The brother nods silently and leads you through the back of the church. A simple, wooden living area leads off in four directions. A few high windows let golden light into the room, giving it an air of both poverty and spirituality. The hooded brother leads you down the first hallway on the left, to a stairwell. His tan robe gently stirs up dust as he walks up and takes you to the third door. He opens the door and nods as you pass, shutting the door behind you. The room is comfortable for one person, though two might be cramped. A single window bleeds light in, revealing a low bed and a pair of tables, one next to it and the other by the farthest wall. A candle is on each table.

You fall asleep as you hit the pillow.

Levyathyn
2009-02-13, 05:06 PM
You wake to red and purple hues of sunset. A nearby brother, perhaps the same one, quietly lights the candles in your room before turning and leaving. As you swing your legs out of bed, you pick up brief snatches of conversation through the now open door. Seconds later, you see Lindra as she walks into the room sheepishly. "Hey Thatch." She says, teasing you with a nickname. She spins the chair backwards and straddles it, and though she hides it well, you can tell she's glad to see you. "Where in the Hells were you?" She says, a little too loudly. For a second she looks embarassed at the outburst. Then she gives you an earnest smile and stands up, rushing to you and giving you a tight hug. "We looked everywhere." She says, and you can her the tightness in her voice; You've never seen her cry, didn't think it possible, but she seems likely to now.

loopy
2009-02-13, 07:42 PM
"Hey there, Lia, its good to see you!" Alec manages to say through Liandra's dark hair. "As far as where I was... well, you won't believe it."

I give her a brief rundown of the events of the past day, including my capture, rescue, and assisted escape.

Levyathyn
2009-02-14, 05:04 AM
She looks worried for a few minutes in the silence left after you finish your tale. "That's dangerous. That old place has been abandoned for years, and if they're keeping prisoners there, under the conditions you mentioned, then this goes straight to the top. You trust Keith, but for the time being, I wouldn't trust any of his friends. They could have spun them the same story they did for you." At the mention of your encounter with the merchant's daughter, she frowns slightly. The moment clears, though, and she smiles at you again. "I have to go get Edgar. I'd stay here if I were you. A lot of us are only here today because of Father Wesley's hospitality. I'm sure you'll be safe here." She says, as she stands and heads to the door. She gets to the door and stops, then turns and looks into your eyes. "Thanks Keith for me. I hope he's fine." She says.

loopy
2009-02-14, 04:45 PM
"Speaking of Keith..." Alec mutters to himself. He considers getting dressed, then realises he is still in the crumpled clothes he was wearing yesterday, so he continues to leave his room and look for his companion.

Levyathyn
2009-02-15, 03:30 AM
You find Keith in a small, quiet back room, under careful attention of Erica. She doesn't notice your appearance, or doesn't show it, but when you make yourself known she isn't surprised. Her hands glide gently over his wound, not touching the skin. She soon finishes. "Hello." She says; Her voice is quiet and soothing, as her demeanor is. She smiles at you shyly as she leads you out of the room. "He is fine. He was hit in the shoulder, and he lost quite a lot of blood on the way here. I believe the bolt nicked an artery. However, he is just sleeping it off now. I removed his armor and set it aside, and I have been healing him." True magic is a rare enough gift, though legends tell of a time when it was as common as rain.

Enough churches and temples have enough healers so that it comes as no surprise to meet one, but it's still something not often seen. She seems to read your thoughts on this matter. "I'm still learning, but Julian hs blessed me with the ability to mend the wounds of others. Father Wesley is an able teacher, and though I hate to admit it," She says, with a wry smile, "he tells me I am quick study. He hopes to one day leave this place to me, but I know I'm not ready." She says. She seems to be looking far away from the here and now, though she soon snaps out of it, embarassed. "Forgive; I do seem so lost fo flights of fancy." She says. "Did you have any questions? I'm sure he will wake in a few short hours, if you wish to speak to him."

loopy
2009-02-15, 11:31 PM
"Just three questions." Alec lists them off with his fingers, smiling. "One, how does the magic work, exactly? Two, why does the church provide shelter for those like myself. Finally, where can I get some food, I am absolutely famished." His smile grows more rogueish as he finishes the last question.

Levyathyn
2009-02-16, 06:43 PM
Erica smiles sweetly when you finish. "Well, Julian, like other gods, gives magic to those who support him, who work for him. There's no set pattern of who gets it. Some gods or goddesses, such as Myria, don't grant their followers spells but instead give power only to those who attain it through study. Julian grants the power to heal to very few, and I am one of those. I don't know how it works. I just...I just want to help someone, and then I try, and it happens." She says, a faraway look in her eyes.

After a brief moment of silence, she looks at you, embarassed again. "Sorry." She says, a laugh on her lips. "Those who revere and serve Julian understand that not everyone who shies away from the sun is evil. Julian's own sister, Selene, is the goddess of the moon. I guess it's just mercy and kindness, two of Julian's main tenets, going hand in hand." She says. "As for food, here, I'll show you the dining area." She says as she leads you to a small kitchen near the guest rooms.

loopy
2009-02-16, 07:28 PM
"Well yes, I have nothing against the sun personally," Alec remarks as he walks, "but night is the place of secrets and surprises, hidden trysts and forgotten knowledge. Thus it appeals to my sort of person immensely."

Levyathyn
2009-02-21, 03:21 PM
She laughs at your statement as she shows you the churches somewhat-meager provisions. There's enough bread and cheese to last an army for a week, and a few other amenities. "I'm sorry we don't have so much." She says. "Most of what we buy, we spare to help out those in need. We keep enough for us to get by. People donate money to us, and that money shouldn't be used for us to buy food for ourselves." She says, smiling warmly. "Hopefully," She says with a jovial air, "this will keep your appetite in check until you can get something better."

loopy
2009-02-21, 07:29 PM
"This will do more than fine." Alec assures Erica. "Anything looks good when you haven't eaten in two days." Alec rips apart a loaf, and carves off a slice of cheese with a knife, then starts to eat.

Between mouthfuls, he asks "Do you happen to have anything to do around here? Even any chores that need doing, I need to keep occupied, and I can't leave until Keith wakes up."

Levyathyn
2009-02-23, 01:11 AM
She just shakes her head in mock exasperation. She shares a quick bite of bread with you before returning to her duties.

----------

Over the next couple of days, you spend more time with Liandra. She spends much more time hanging out at the church, an you surmise she's laying low as well. Edgar, a street-mage, drops by to see you. Father Wesley spends quite a lot of time with you, sometimes teaching you about Julian's way, but often just listening to stories of the streets and your past. You spend most of the time doing small repairs to the church or joking around with Erica.

Finally, noon the second day, Keith stirs and wakes. His chest is bandaged where the bolt smashed through his ribs. Though he's sore, the wound is almost nonexistant. "Where the Hells am I?" He says to the kind face of Father Wesley. After a brief period of questions and answers, he calls you in there and shuts the door behind him as he steps out.

loopy
2009-02-23, 01:18 AM
Alec smiles as he enters the room. "Good morning, you lazy arse. Glad to see you are looking well. Took a few days to get you healed up from those crossbow bolts. I don't think the other guards took much of a shine to you helping me escape." He leans against the wall. "Need me to get you anything, Keith?"

Levyathyn
2009-02-23, 01:23 AM
Keith smiles when he sees you. He looks remarkable, considering the time he spent alternating between unconsciousness and sleep. "What the Hells happenned?" He asks. "Last I remember, I saw them shoot me with a bolt, and then it all went fuzzy. You made it out ok, I take it?"

loopy
2009-02-23, 01:31 AM
"Yeah, I pulled your heavy self back to town, got you into a temple of Julian, and the priests here fixed you up faster than I've ever seen since my time with the Marncairn clan." Alec points in the general direction of Keith's injury. "How are you feeling, anyway?"

Levyathyn
2009-02-23, 02:28 AM
Keith stands and feels his chest, a slight grimace on his face. "Better." He says. "So, what, you were an Orc slave or something?" He asks as you two step out of the room.

loopy
2009-02-23, 02:48 AM
"Ha! Slave? They saved my life as a baby, kept me fed and safe, trained me how to hunt and survive until someone tracked down my remaining family..." Alec's eyes grow distant for a moment, then he shakes himself out of it. "Anyway, I think we'd best get out of town, I don't know about you, but that prison really rattled me."

Levyathyn
2009-02-23, 02:56 AM
Again, Keith looks mystified. "Man, I thought Orcs were savages. You hear stories, living in the city, but not a lot of them. You pretty much have to run on prejudice." He says, before taking a contemplative pause of his own. The two of you run into Father Wesley as he rounds a corner with Erica. "Hello, friends." He says, giving a polite nod to both you and Keith. "It's good to see you walking, my son." He says to Keith.

"This is Erica, my protege, who was responsible for much of your healing." He says modestly. Keith smiles, a little awkwardly, as she beams at him. "Thanks." He says to her, more than a little hesitantly. "You say that you and Keith are leaving town soon?" He asks you. "If you must, then I only ask that you stop by before you go, as a favor to me." Behind him, down the long hallway, you see Liandra appear, holding a bundle. She comes over to you and notices Keith.

loopy
2009-02-23, 03:32 AM
"Of course, Father. We'll stop back before we leave." Alec winks at Lia. "Whats the word from the town? I should probably talk to the rest of our friends before we leave. Don't want to leave my friends in a bind because I'm not around."

Levyathyn
2009-02-23, 04:13 AM
Lia smirks at your not-so-sly wink, then holds up the bundle in front of her. "I think you should try these on. Make sure they fit." She says, handing you the clothes. "No one's been paying me much attention," she adds, "so I'm pretty sure we should be alright for another day or two. Whatever they were doing up at the old prison, they sure as Hells don't want the populace aware of it." She says. Wesley nods thoughtfully. "I'm sure you are correct, there. I doubt very much the so-called 'Warden' of this place earned his title legitimately; And even if he did, I doubt he would hold it much longer once the citizens of Sargeras got through with him." He says.

"Be that as it may, go. Your friends await you. Know that all of you are welcome here into the house of Julian." He says. "I have a small congregation I must see to. No matter how many people there are, they are all important to Julian, and they must hear my words today." He finishes as he goes through a door into the front of the church. You stand in the hallway with Keith and Erica, whom are chatting about something quietly, and Liandra, who is looking at you to see if you like the clothes, an expectant look on her face.

loopy
2009-02-23, 08:09 AM
Alec finds a alcove or room to change in, out of respect for the church, if not out of a genuine sense of propriety. As he dresses, he asks Liandra. "So where do you think a man of my talents should travel to? There has to be a big city that is in desperate need of a confidence man around here somewhere."

Alec pauses for a second, then looks at Liandra. "You could come with us, you know. I... well, I've gotten used to having you around." He smiles, then looks away.

Levyathyn
2009-02-23, 10:49 PM
She smiles at your embarassment "Like I was going to let you go without me." She says, sarcastic and smirking. "I've been talking with Edgar, and I think he's willing to go to. He's still apologizing for locking his door that night." She says, referring to the night you were captured. Edgar's apartment was one of the few safehouses you enjoyed, and Edgar had apologized for locking it that night every time he saw you since. "Of course, Kairi-be-Damned, the night you were running for your life, Edgar finally had a girl over." She says in wry amusement.

loopy
2009-02-24, 05:46 AM
"What? Ed?" Alec's jaw drops briefly, "Gods, I'm just proud of the boy now. Thought he was too shy to ever land a girl. Ha, it was almost worth being captured!" He laughs.

"Anyway. We'll head out for the city as soon as we get some food and travelling supplies, yeah?"

Levyathyn
2009-02-24, 10:08 PM
She smiles at you as you step out in your new clothes. "You look good." She says. For a moment, she appears to consider something, but it passes and she nods as she heads towards the front. "I know just the place. Should be cheap, too. Unless you feel like making it cheaper." She says, flashing you a quick, mischevious grin as she flexes the fingers of her right hand.

loopy
2009-02-28, 10:47 AM
Alec dresses quickly, and gives his new outfit an admiring glance. Consisting of mainly greens and browns, wool and leathers, the travelling tunic and jacket protected against both heat and cold. Dark brown pants fitted into well-made doeskin leather and felt boots, treated to make no sound when moving. A travelling cloak completed the outfit.

"These clothes are amazing, and they fit well. Who did you have to kill to afford them, Lia?"

Levyathyn
2009-02-28, 04:32 PM
Liandra just smiles mischeviously. "You don't look good, you look great, and that's all you need to know. Now let's go see what's going on with the guys." She says.

loopy
2009-03-01, 06:38 AM
"Ladies first." Alec says, gesturing at the door and bowing slightly.

Levyathyn
2009-03-05, 04:29 AM
She smiles sweetly at you as she steps into the streets of Sargeras. The sounds and smells of a port-town bazaar reach you as she leads you into an alley across from the hotel. You slip by a group of criminals playing Roll 'Em. They eye you both and rest their hands on their weapons as you pass. Ahead, you pass bby the back door to one of the town's many disreputable drinking establishments. A young man, almost entirely unclothed, is tossed roughly to the cobbles as you pass. With a giggle, Lia leads you back into one of the towns main roads. A small cart rattles by, and you quickly rush across the street into nother alley. At the second door on the right, Lia gives a quick code knock, and a door opens into one of the gang's many hideaways.

A few scummers you recognize, as well as a small number of new, untested thieves layabout. Many smile at you or Lia as you enter, and Edgar comes over to you. "So sorry about the other night, man." He says, a piteous look on his face. A small number in the crowd, aware of the reasons behind Edgar's guilt, chuckle lightly.

loopy
2009-03-26, 05:06 AM
"No problem at all, Eddie." Alec smiles, patting him on the shoulder in forgiveness. "But if I had died in there, you would have been so haunted!"

"So... Whats the word?"

Levyathyn
2009-04-04, 03:23 AM
Edgar shrugs. "Not much going down." He says. "Hearsay, of course, gets 'round about you and the daughter of, get this," He says, theatrically embellishing his voice to the room as if none of them had heard the story more than, say, a dozen times. "Merrif Ollan's daughter, Erena." He says, smiling at the low chuckles made by anonymous mouths. Edgar isn't wiry or thin, but he's not chubby or thick, either. His average body is supplemented with the lean muscles of street life, but long ago Edgar's hidden talent for shadow magic began keeping him an edge above his competition. His well-fed body and relatively lavish lifestyle are testaments to his ability. His short, dark hair and mischevious brown eyes add to him a rogue-like appearance.

Years ago, when the organized and corrupt officials of the city stepped too far over the line, small-time thieves began to band together, and Edgar was one of them. The rules of the loose group, constantly gaining and losing members, put no restrictions or commisions on anyone's earnings, so Edgar was usually free to do as he pleased, but due to his abilities, he's often helped many of the group, both the inexperienced and the vastly professional. Liandra, smirking, steps in to stop his antics before too long. "Let's not forget who else was busy that night." At her mention of it, Edgar's cheeks flush with red. "Anyone know how strenuously the city guard are in attempting to catch the devious murderer, Alec Thatcher?" She says, voice dripping sarcasm.

Sheepishly, Edgar speaks up. "A few of our members overheard Captain Sciotto arguing with a man named Tulle, likely an important man at the jail Alec told us about." He says. "It seems that Sciotto, fiend that he is, knows that Ollan is involved with the guard, especially some of the less reputable ones. Rumors of a hidden prison facility have already reached his ears. He's decided that Alec Thatcher, while a criminal, isn't exactly manhunt material. This other group of guards though, the unofficials, are probably still after you." He says, turning to you. "I myself saw a few men asking around some of the local pawns about you; Military in demeanor, plain in clothes, they were." The room settles into a brief quiet as this news hits the group. Finally, Edgar once again breaks the silence. "What's the plan, Alec?"

loopy
2009-04-17, 02:59 PM
"Right. Well, I'm going to have to lay this out first. You help me out with this, its going to be dangerous. Likely won't be much profit in it for ye all." Alec sighs. "I'd hope you all know I'd do the same for you, but I see that this is something we humble thieves haven't encountered before."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

"We are going to need to take down this Tulle and his unsigned if I'm going to have any chance of getting out of this town alive. Either we need to discredit him, or methodically corner and shank them until they get the picture." He clears his throat. "Now, you aren't killers. I thank my luck you aren't. I don't want to ask it from you, so I'm hoping it won't come to that."

"Anyone know anything about these gents?"

Levyathyn
2009-04-21, 02:29 AM
You feel you've roused the group well enough, considering the circumstances, but as the members glance back and forth at each other, some kind of consensus appears to be reached. Edgar speaks for them. "No one knows much. They've moved in recently, and Sciotto hates them, but with people like Baron Reymont in power, there's nothing he can do." Many of the thieves nod, obviously feeling the same way. A few others seem casual and distant, as is the way of the streets.

A low silence descends on the group of people. To a head, the room is filled with young people. Most aren't over twenty, and the few that are don't seem like it. Liandra breaks the silence. "There must be something. If I've learned anything, it's that there's always a crack in the stone. Alwys a chink in the armor. Always someone willing to look the other way, if you slip him enough steel. There has to be something we can do about this." She says.

loopy
2009-06-01, 10:05 AM
"Alright then. We do what we do best. Hit the pubs, the taverns, the brothels. Men are men, they all have vices. Find one, feed him liquor, then either get him to spill his guts or call us in to drag him back here." Alec smiles. "My miserable little life is in your hands, ladies and gents. I know you won't disappoint me."

Levyathyn
2009-06-19, 01:12 PM
The group of thieves smile to each other, despite the seriousness of the matter. To them, a night out on the town is a night out on the town; Blackmail and extorition will just be the afterparty. The group disperses, with some of the more experienced members taking some of the newer ones, to show them the ropes. Keith and Lia approach you. "What about us? You going to leave town, or see this through. Because if you're going now, I, for one, am with you." She says, and Keith nods his assent.

loopy
2009-06-19, 02:29 PM
"I say we find one of the guys behind this attack on me, whack him. Discourage the rest of them from following us, if we take down a lieutenant. Punch the bully in the nose, as it were." Alec runs his hands through his hair, his shaking hand betraying his nerves. "Then we run out of this town like the legions of hell were on our tail. This is too big for us. Still, lets hit the streets, wait for some of the boys to report on what they've found out."

Alec leaves the hideout with Keith and Lia. "You are a big guy Keith, not the best for staying undetected, but its easier to be one of the many faces of a crowd, then to stay to completely undetected. Ideally, a mark, whatever their motivations for looking for you, will see you and disregard you. Dark clothing and hooded robes work in bards tales, but rarely in real life." Alec continues to give Keith lessons on basic stealth as the three walk about town.

Stealth(teaching): 1d20+10
Knowledge Local: 1d20+4

Levyathyn
2009-06-19, 04:30 PM
At the last minute, Edgar catches up to you, panting. "Sorry about that...Alec...saying goodbye." He says, indicating a woman leaving. "There's no way I'm going to miss out helping you again." He adds. He looks at Keith shaking his head. "It'll never work, man. You need to ditch the armor." Keith, discouraged, smiles as he steps into an alley and shrugs off the chainmail. "I should have thought about that. They'll no doubt recognize it." He says.

Levyathyn
2009-06-21, 06:52 PM
Edgar looks Keith up and down. "Nah, it'll never work. Here, hold still." He says. He waves his hands in front of the man, and a spectre of dark energy flickers around him. Keith disappears, and a slightly altered man stands in his place. The clothes fit different, and the face is altered, but you can barely recognize the man underneath. "Nice work, Edgar." Liandra says, impressed. "You're really going places with that magic stuff." She says.

loopy
2009-06-23, 12:38 PM
"Indeed he has. Now that should stop any of the guards from recognising you. Now... the first of the thieves should be running back to report sometime shortly, lets head to the taverns for a drink while we wait."

Levyathyn
2009-07-04, 06:25 PM
The group nods and goes with you, and they all spread across the bar as you take your seats. Lia sits near enough to you to show off her smile, but far enough back to have a table to herself. Occasionally, a man will saunter over to her and attempt to sit down, whereupon she politely turns them away. As the four of you watch casually (or very noticeably, in Keith's case), two members of the 'guild' enter and draw your attention. One sits near Edgar and flashes him a few hand signals, while the other heads towards the back.

loopy
2009-07-05, 03:36 AM
Alec waits a few minutes, then follows the guild member to the back of the bar. As I get close to him, I jostle him rudely with my shoulder. "Hey, watch where you are stepping, cobber!"

At the same time I sign him in thieves cant, Whats the word?

Levyathyn
2009-07-08, 05:03 PM
The man looks shocked as you shove him into the wall. He rubs his shoulder as he straightens himself, and says, "Watch yourself, punklet!" Before flashing you a handsign as he smooths his leathers down. Josh missing.

loopy
2009-07-09, 10:07 AM
Missing? Where was he last seen? Shouldn't have sent you all into danger.

As soon as I get the answer I push the thief into the wall again and snarl, "Don't let me catch you in here again."

I wave at Edgar, Keith and Liandra, and start to run out of the tavern. "Shouldn't have sent them into danger..."

Levyathyn
2009-07-09, 11:46 AM
As you leave, the crowd goes back to it's normal state of affairs, unconcerned as the sudden excitement dies down. The thief, whose name you remember to be Tav, loops around back and walks up to you. "It could be nothing," He says, quietly, "but I thought you might want to know." He nods down a side street. "Over there, past Old Wilson's gambling house. We were scoping out a real dive of a place, and some of the men in there, nothing more than thugs, chased us out. We lost Josh, and came as soon as we could. I think they were looking for us, or people like us."

loopy
2009-07-10, 01:38 AM
"Right Tav, well times come for fighting. Get the boys and girls together, we'll explore the dive. Set up around it and make sure no one who tries running makes it more than a block." Alec sighs. "I didn't want it to come to this. Keith, Edgar, Lia, you with me? We barge in fast enough we could take 'em by surprise, end this quick, then have all the thugs chasing me out of town within two days."

That being said, Alec heads past Old Wilson's, breaking into a run.

(Basically as soon as I get to the likely place, I want to run through the door, if I see anyone I'll jump kick them for a subdual sneak attack.)

Levyathyn
2009-07-10, 11:06 AM
With a nod, the young man sets off. As you charge forwards, your companions follow you. Keith draws his sword as he fades back into his normal, handsome self. Lia draws a pair of daggers as she runs low to the ground, her feet making just a whisper of sound. And Edgar just runs, menace in his eyes.

You run through the door, astonishing the bar's numerous patrons, as you leap into a snap kick at the nearest face.

loopy
2009-07-11, 12:57 AM
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

As Alec stands he looks around, drawing his daggers. Menace fills his eyes. "Mess with me, fine, I'll fight back. Mess with my friends, and I start playing dirty. Now, you miserable wretches, tell me who you are working for, and what you've done with Josh."

Intimidate: [roll3]
Sense motive: [roll4]

Levyathyn
2009-07-11, 05:19 PM
You land heavily on the now unconscious man, though you realize now that he's of quite dubious merit as to his ability to thug around the city. In fact, as you glance around the bar, many of the patrons seem like regular customers or barflies. The bartender, a man who you notice isn't Old Wilson, however, seems absolutely terrified. "Down the street, turn left, the big oak door down the steps!" He says. As you turn and leave, he yells after you. "The password is Nimbus!" He says.

loopy
2009-07-24, 01:31 PM
Alec continues on, barely breaking stride. Once he finds the steps leading to the oak door, he holds one hand up to slow his companions.

Slowly he moves down the stairs, one padded footfall at a time, listening for any noise behind the door. He pulls out his lockpicks and gets to work, unlocking the door before he rejoins the others.

"Right," Alec whispers. "Keith, if you don't mind I'll get you to barge the door in. I'll follow right behind you, they'll be disorientated. Ed, do whatever you can to keep them off guard. Lia, come in last, watch our backs." Alec waits for his instructions to sink in. "Lets do this.

He draws his daggers.

Stealth:
Perception: [roll1]
Disable Device: [roll]1d20+9

loopy
2009-07-24, 01:32 PM
Disable Device: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-08-06, 10:03 PM
With a quiet little click, the lock springs open. You gently push it, and it loosely swings into the darkened room beyond. You can see little in the shady interior, but you look inside, Edgar and Lia with you the whole way.

[roll0]
[roll1]

With a nod to you, Keith kicks the door open and lunges in, drawing his sword. You step in right after him in time to see him deflect a blow from a silhouette in the darkness. Another detaches itself from the wall and lunges at you with a rapier.

(Initiative)

loopy
2009-08-06, 10:09 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-08-06, 10:11 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Levyathyn
2009-08-06, 10:17 PM
[roll0]

Lol poor Keith.

Levyathyn
2009-08-06, 10:27 PM
Edgar clenches a fist as he stares into the dark room.

[roll0]

Levyathyn
2009-08-06, 10:33 PM
Opening his hand, Edgar mutters quietly as he swirls his hands in a vortex. Suddenly reaching out, he extends his open hand to the nearest figure. A small metal spike materializes in front of his hand and hurtles towards the shadow.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The spike embeds itself in the man's stomach, causing him to double over in pain as he tumbles to the ground.

loopy
2009-08-06, 10:55 PM
Alec draws both his daggers, steps forward and slashes them viciously across his opponents face.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Levyathyn
2009-08-07, 06:31 PM
Your quick cuts leave tiny slashes beneath the man's eyes as he recoils from your sudden attack. You can barely make out his gruff, bearded face in the darkness as the blood starts to flow from the cuts freely.

On the other side of the dark room, flanking you, Lia keeps her hands in front of her as a third man approaches. Her face a mask of terror, she slowly backs up as he steps towards her, a greedy leer on his face as his eyes wander up and down her body. His sword, a wickedly sharp cutlass, gleams in a brief flash of light as he steps in front of the open doorway. He nears her and holds it off to the side, bringing a hand up to caress her face. Her hand darts behind her back and she lunges, a katar materializing out of nowhere.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The blade sticks into the surprised man's belly, but his reflexes keep him from being eviscerated. He holds a hand to the open wound as he readies his sword.

Levyathyn
2009-08-07, 06:38 PM
The man by Lia swings his blade low, an obvious attempt to leave her incapacitated. Blood splashes onto the floor as he swings vigorously.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lia easily jumps over his swing, laughing as he grunts in pain, the wound twitsing as he swings. In front of you, the man sneers, his eyes wide as he wipes the blood from his cheeks before lunging at you quickly, the point of his rapier flashing at you from out of the dark.

[roll2]
[roll3]

You lean to the side and the rapier goes past your throat, missing by inches. The last man swings his longsword overhead, the slash coming in at Keith's face.

[roll4]
[roll5]

Keith brings his longsword up, but it's not in time. The man's sword cuts down heavily against Keith's unarmored flesh, causing him to scream in pain as he brings his own weapon up.

Levyathyn
2009-08-07, 06:46 PM
Keith kneels on the ground, holding a hand to his wounded shoulder. Gritting his teeth against the pain, he brings his sword upward in a last ditch effort.

[roll0]
[roll1]

With a yell, Keith stabs the sword through the thug's jaw, smashing his teeth and piercing his brain, killing him instantly. Yanking his sword free, Keith roans in pain again as the man's lifeless body tumbles to the ground.

loopy
2009-08-11, 02:23 AM
"Heh... You'll be keeping those scars for a while mate. 'Course, with your ugly mug its almost an improvement." Alec quips, trying to coax his attacker into a rage.

He disengages, dancing around to the other side of the room, getting behind Lia's opponent for a vicious double stab with his daggers.

Acrobatics1: [roll0]
Acrobatics2: [roll1]

Hit1: [roll2]
Damage1: [roll3]
Sneak Attack1: [roll4]

Hit2: [roll5]
Damage2: [roll6]
Sneak Attack2: [roll7]

(If he's hit by either attack then he starts bleeding for 2 damage a round)

Levyathyn
2009-08-14, 10:43 PM
(Not that it'll matter when he's dead)

As you stab your knives into the man's kidneys, he grunts before doubling over in a bloody heap on the floor. In front of you, Lia raises an eyebrow, her expression clearly telling you what she thinks of 'timely rescues'. Her amused frown quickly turns into a smile and a shrug as she whips around behind you.

Edgar rushes to help Keith up off of the floor, staying away from the cut as he steadies the man on his shoulder.

Lia, lunge already in progress, brings her Katar up across the thug's chest.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Laughing, she furrows a large, shallow cut; The man's loose, dark shirt is ripped as the sharp blade nicks his skin. Glowering at the girl in anger, he raises his rapier.

Levyathyn
2009-08-24, 11:40 PM
The last man stands draped in shadow, backing away from Lia as he holds his rapier in front of him like a holy symbol. You see a tiny glint as he sneers in the bouncing, quavering light of the torch outside. "This will not go forgotten." His breathing heavy, he turns and flees out the door. Keith leaps up to give chase, but pulls on his cut, spraying a little blood onto the floor.

Edgar looks at the door, dark energy swirling around his fingertips. As Keith stumbles, Edgar lunges to catch him, then looks up at you. "Go. I got this."

loopy
2009-08-24, 11:48 PM
Alec sprints after the man, throwing one of his daggers at the fleeing form, and trying to close to tackling distance.

loopy
2009-08-24, 11:50 PM
Attack(called shot: leg): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Levyathyn
2009-08-24, 11:59 PM
You fly out of the door at a run, taking corner in a hard lean with Lia right on your heels. Your dagger whirls off to the side and sparks against the ground; The fleeing thug whips his head back and sees you, his eyes wide, before redoubling his speed. His feet pound the hard cobblestones as he hurtles around a corner and into an alleyway.

loopy
2009-08-25, 12:06 AM
Alec follows the thug into the alley, using every acrobatic trick in hs disposal to avoid obstacles.

Hand whipping out, he throws his last dagger at the fleeing man, befre drawing his shiv.

Acrobatics: [roll0]
Called shot: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

loopy
2009-08-25, 12:20 AM
Alec stops, letting the man get away. Retrieving his daggers, he returns to Keiths side.

"The man got away. He's gone, and so are we. Help me get Keith back to the church. We'll resupply and then skip town. We've ruffled enough feathers." Alec looks around. "Edgar, Lia, did we find our missing guild rat?

Levyathyn
2009-08-25, 12:40 AM
Edgar and Lia pull a quick search of the premises; They turn up three locked doors and two open ones. Behind these, a few bedrolls, empty bottles of cheap ale, a couple of knives, and the dead body of one of your friends. Shking his head, Edgar leads you to Josh's still form, his throat cut. On the body are numerous other small wounds, as well as a couple of bruises.

loopy
2009-08-25, 01:03 AM
"Saints and Proxies... I'm so done with this town." Alec closes Josh's eyes, then turns to help up Keith. "Ed, you and the rats are welcome to join me. I hear some of the new coastal cities are booming, perfect for new crime."

"How are you feeling, Keith?"

Levyathyn
2009-09-11, 10:23 PM
Ed rubs his chin, lost in thought. His fingers play a slight staccato rythm on his leg as he counts out various details. Keith, meanwhile, walks over to you, staggering only slightly. "I'm good." He says, punctuating the sentence with a wince and slight groan of pain. "I could sure use a day off, though. This is...this is not going to feel good in the morning." Lia gives him a playful frown and a small punch, on the opposite shoulder, of course, as she steps over to your side. Edgar opens his mouth and pointedly raises a finger*. "I think we could do it. I mean, these are our streets...you know. We grew up here; Well, most of us. But...move the whole crew..." He says, his eyes lost in some other place. "We could do it. It'd take...dark, it'd take days of travel. Provisions. Supply lines. We could send a group ahead, to clear some room for us, and keep a group behind to give us some income!" He says, growing more and more excited.

Laughing, Lia shakes her head as she smiles in wonder at this sudden change of character. "I think we broke him." She says, smiling at you as Edgar rants and raves in the background. "I mean," Edgar adds with a sudden glance at you as he sheepishly returns to his normal demeanor. "it's all up to you, of course. You know as well as I that we don't have a leader. Down that path lay madness. But if most of us had to pick, we'd pick you."

loopy
2009-09-16, 06:40 PM
Alec rubs his temples absentmindedly. "Right, here is the plan. Lia and Ed, gather up our rats and tell 'em we are moving on out and up in the world. Get 'em ready to travel. Bring anything valuable that can be carried. Set some groups up to rustle some horses and carts up. Food, water will be needed as well."

"I'll get Keith back to the temple where he can get patched up, then meet with you. Any questions?"

He moves to help Keith start walking. "And thanks for sticking with me on all this."

Levyathyn
2009-10-30, 07:22 PM
Nodding, silent, Lia and Edgar rush off into the night. Smirking, Keith leans on you for support as you help him hobble down the street. "Like I had a choice." He says. "Thanks for sticking with me, kid."

Eventually, you both make it to the temple. A couple of runners are witing for you, and on your approach, one of them dashes off into the night. The other one, a young thief you recognize, nods at you briefly.

loopy
2009-10-30, 07:28 PM
Alec approaches the door of the temple, and knocks twice. "Father Wesley? Erica? Hope we aren't waking you, but Keith has got himself banged up again."

While waiting for a response, he looks at the younger thief. "What's the word, kid?"

Levyathyn
2009-11-08, 09:47 PM
The kid shrugs. "Not much. Just heard we were getting the hell out of town." He says.

Levyathyn
2009-11-09, 01:20 AM
True to his word, Edgar sent some of the boys ahead. He was the last to leave, and he had picked somne more lucky 'volunteers' to stay behind, keep their ears to the ground. You and Lia woke up together and got packed on the big morning, and headed downstairs in the church to find Keith up and about. With a short greeting, you break the tension over the morning. Father Wesley seems more worried than usual, and when pressed, mentions that Edgar never showed.

Worried, you're about to take to the streets when he comes in the door, flush and agitated. He tells you of his night; How him and some of the boys staged a distraction. A few of the thieves had been sent off in small groups the previous days so that the guards wouldn't become suspicious of a mass exodus. The few that were left in his charge were finally discovered, and it had been a dangerous night for them. Outnumbered, the thieves fled into the night, and most made it back. Most. Among the deceased is Edgar's girlfriend, Torri. You notice the red under his eyes, and comfort him as the rest of the team get ready.

Father Wesley bids you a fond farewell as Erica joins you. You decide the best course of action would be to leve before anymore of you are hunted down like dogs. And so the five of you go, with two Corbin and Connor, a pair of brothers, acting backup. It's a tense moment as you approach the city gates, but you're waved through. Outside, you mingle with the ramshackle lodgings outside of town; Harried business men hawk goods at you with vigor as you walk buy. More than a few wolf whistles greet your ears as heathen salesman catch sight of your eye-pleasing travelling companions. You turn north, towards Alamas, and set foot on the dusty track.

Levyathyn
2009-11-09, 02:12 PM
You walk down a peaceful lane, surrounded by woods and fields. Your footfalls stir up dust in the mid-moring sunlight as you and your friends walk towards the future.

It's been some time. You and Lia chat amiably, conversation designed less to convey information and more to keep you both from thinking about the troubles to come. Keith limps slightly, but his eyes warily watch the beaten forest path. Edgar remains quiet, like he has been the whole time. And in the back, the brothers Deguerre chat hurriedly, plotting and planning as they pass some faded parchment back and forth. In the middle of this motley group walks Erica, looking as out of place as a priestess walking in a bustle of thieves can look.

Your new clothes shift quietly as you walk; The fit is great on them, and though the black is a bit warm in the sun, you'd trade it for style any day of the week, and no one can deny that you look the part. "So." Lia asks, breaking the idle chatter with serious tone; You can tell where the conversation is headed, and it seems important to her. "What do we do now, fearless leader?" She asks. "A new town with barely a foothold. A rival guild to take on. and barely any cash to our name. How do we handle this?" She asks, biting her lower lip as she looks at you.