PDA

View Full Version : Of wizards and spellbooks

Choco
2009-01-06, 07:27 PM
I just had a few questions about wizards and their spellbooks that I am either too blind to see in the rulebooks or just were left up to DM discretion (or as I would say are completely obvious answers, but obvious isn't always the case with D&D rules). I would at first impulse say the answer to both of these questions is yes, so please smack me upside the head and flame me for being a total n00b if I am wrong to set me straight:

1.) If a wizard loses his spellbook, can he simply loot one off of Random Wizard Mook X and use his from then on?

2.) Can a wizard prepare spells from another wizard's spellbook?

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-06, 07:38 PM
I believe this is the relevant section of the rules:

Arcane Magical Writings
To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell. The writer uses the same system no matter what her native language or culture. However, each character uses the system in her own way. Another person’s magical writing remains incomprehensible to even the most powerful wizard until she takes time to study and decipher it.

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in written form in another’s spellbook or on a scroll), a character must make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spell’s level). If the skill check fails, the character cannot attempt to read that particular spell again until the next day. A read magic spell automatically deciphers a magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.

Once a character deciphers a particular magical writing, she does not need to decipher it again. Deciphering a magical writing allows the reader to identify the spell and gives some idea of its effects (as explained in the spell description). If the magical writing was a scroll and the reader can cast arcane spells, she can attempt to use the scroll.

Wizard Spells and Borrowed Spellbooks
A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook, but preparation success is not assured. First, the wizard must decipher the writing in the book (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Once a spell from another spellcaster’s book is deciphered, the reader must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level) to prepare the spell. If the check succeeds, the wizard can prepare the spell. She must repeat the check to prepare the spell again, no matter how many times she has prepared it before. If the check fails, she cannot try to prepare the spell from the same source again until the next day. (However, as explained above, she does not need to repeat a check to decipher the writing.)

tl;dr--you need to decipher each spell with Spellcraft, but you can do it.

Choco
2009-01-06, 07:47 PM
Ah ok, thanks.

Saved me a bunch of trouble and embarrassment down the road there :smallsmile:

ericgrau
2009-01-06, 08:58 PM
I just had a few questions about wizards and their spellbooks that I am either too blind to see in the rulebooks or just were left up to DM discretion (or as I would say are completely obvious answers, but obvious isn't always the case with D&D rules). I would at first impulse say the answer to both of these questions is yes, so please smack me upside the head and flame me for being a total n00b if I am wrong to set me straight:

1.) If a wizard loses his spellbook, can he simply loot one off of Random Wizard Mook X and use his from then on?

2.) Can a wizard prepare spells from another wizard's spellbook?

Yes, as posted, but he'll have different spells and probably less/lower level. This is far less effective than, say, using your own book into which you copied the spells of every Random Wizard Mook X you ever found.

Your best bet is to keep backup copies. Keep in a safe place away from your character. You could store one in the heart of Mordor, guarded by the witch king, just as a low security example :smallwink:.

kyoten
2009-01-06, 09:16 PM
Yes, as posted, but he'll have different spells and probably less/lower level. This is far less effective than, say, using your own book into which you copied the spells of every Random Wizard Mook X you ever found.

Your best bet is to keep backup copies. Keep in a safe place away from your character. You could store one in the heart of Mordor, guarded by the witch king, just as a low security example :smallwink:.

LOL!

Or you could buy a couple of Blessed Books (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook) and have a couple of Genesis Demiplanes made. Accessible ony to YOU!

monty
2009-01-06, 09:19 PM
witch king

:smallconfused:

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-06, 09:34 PM
:smallconfused:Wot, you've never read Lord of the Rings?http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/LOTRO---Witch_King_Logo.jpg