PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on True20?

Jimp
2009-01-06, 07:42 PM
I recently picked up a copy of the True20 rulebook. I haven't read much into it yet but it seems similar to D20 Modern. I see posts saying that combat is gritter and more lethal though. I haven't reached that part of the rules yet so I can't be sure. If I was using this system it would be for a modern game, so lethal gun combat would be pretty good.
What do people think of the system in general though? Worth it/not worth it? Is there much of a noticeable difference between it and D20 Modern? Any experiences with the system you want to share? Any rules in particular that I should avoid/houserule?

Grail
2009-01-06, 08:01 PM
I prefer True20 over all other systems. And when i finish running my dnd 3.5 editions games, I'll be running games under T20 exclusively. It works well for all settins, not just modern. I've run a pretty cool couple fantasy games with it.

I would reccomend though, that if you do want to look to fantasy settings, check out some of the True20 forums for ways to get the adept class focused more on a traditional arcane/divine style spellcaster. Or pick up the True Adept or the True20 Companion (for rules on creating your own Paths).

True20 as a system was born from Blue Rose, which is the game of Romantic Fantasy roleplaying, so it actually derived itself from a fantasy system/setting.

Jimp
2009-01-07, 04:07 PM
I prefer True20 over all other systems. And when i finish running my dnd 3.5 editions games, I'll be running games under T20 exclusively. It works well for all settins, not just modern. I've run a pretty cool couple fantasy games with it.

I would reccomend though, that if you do want to look to fantasy settings, check out some of the True20 forums for ways to get the adept class focused more on a traditional arcane/divine style spellcaster. Or pick up the True Adept or the True20 Companion (for rules on creating your own Paths).

True20 as a system was born from Blue Rose, which is the game of Romantic Fantasy roleplaying, so it actually derived itself from a fantasy system/setting.

Why is it your favourite system?
I'll look into the splatbooks for fantasy settings.

Raum
2009-01-07, 05:43 PM
What do people think of the system in general though? It'd definitely grittier than standard d20. Instead of hit points, True20 characters get a defense roll (dodge or parry) which does scale with level and toughness save which does not scale with level. It also has a death spiral built in - damage hurts.

Any rules in particular that I should avoid/houserule?Depends on what type of game you're looking for. If you want it less deadly, refresh Conviction more often. It also has many of the weaknesses (and strengths) d20 does, it is a derivative after all. You don't have to worry about batman wizards but you do need to account for some very powerful spells.

Grail
2009-01-07, 06:15 PM
Spellcasters (adepts), get supernatural powers that are very broad in their effects, and thus make casters (especially at lower levels) very versatile. On top of that adepts straight out of the book can spend conviction to be able to use any supernatural power. There is also no limit to the number of times supernatural powers can be used, but the more you use them in a short period (1 hour), you can suffer the effects of fatigue, and fatigue in True20 is a lot worse than in d20.

Combat provides a feeling of lethality. Whenever you are hit you have to make a toughenss check, and thoughness doesn't increase when you go up levels. The base save is 15 + Wpn Damage + Str. So a shortsword used by a guy with a +2 strength requires a Toughness save of 15 + 2 + 2 = 19. Constitution and Armour adds to Toughness, and depending upon how much you fail the save is how badly you are hurt. The thing is that every time you are hurt it can have a telling effect on the combat, as you suffer effects like stunning etc.

The use of Conviction is really paramount to True20, and is what separates plebs from heroes. And it's really cool to see the look of shock on the players face when they come against enemies who also have conviction.

There are no real splat books for fantasy settings, T20 is the d20 equivalent of GURPS, True Adept and True Companion cover all genres, but there is plenty in there that can be used for fantasy settings.

Grail
2009-01-07, 10:27 PM
2 other really good things about T20 are things that they have actually omitted. No Class/Cross Class Skills, and no AoO.

Also, no iterative attacks.

... yes, I'm aware that's 3. but no iterative attacks isn't the 2 really good things, but it is good.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-07, 10:46 PM
I consider True20 to be an excellent example of what d20 would be like if you extracted most of the redundant/unnecessary/aggravating aspects. In terms of design elegance, it's a winner, hands-down.

Matthew
2009-01-08, 03:23 PM
I like True20 as a lighter variant on D20. It goes in a different direction from something like Castles & Crusades or Mutants & Masterminds, and so makes for an interesting alternative. Everything being equal, I would probably choose Savage Worlds over True20, but if I were looking for something closer to D20 (say to use with D20 Modern or D20 Future supplements), then True20 would be a better option.