PDA

View Full Version : 1940's Music

Lerky
2009-01-06, 11:12 PM
much to my friend's displeasure I have recently taken intrest with the good old 1940's radio style music. This taste was acquired through Fallout 3 and eventually I just fell in love with the genre. I don't really expect much peope here to know much about 1940's music but if, by chance, someone has some information, I'd like to know a few songs from those times. I currently have:

Butcher Pete (Part 1 & 2)-Roy Brown
I'm Tickled Pink-Jack Shaindlin
Maybe-Ink Spots
I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire-Ink spots(again)
and
Way Back Home-Bob Crosby

Any other music by these, and any other artists, from this time are greaty appreciated. 'Till I get some posts I'm gonna keep up my work on google:smallamused:

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-07, 12:34 PM
Anything by the andrews sisters (Rum and Coca Cola, Bei Mir Bist Du Schön) Al Joleson (swanny), Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller and his Orchestra, Bing Crosbie as well as early Sinatra all have the sound you're looking for.

Pennies From Heaven, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Coming In On A Wing And A Prayer, and Five Mintes More are all good song examples for the style as well.

Lerky
2009-01-07, 09:33 PM
Anything by the andrews sisters (Rum and Coca Cola, Bei Mir Bist Du Schön) Al Joleson (swanny), Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller and his Orchestra, Bing Crosbie as well as early Sinatra all have the sound you're looking for.

Pennies From Heaven, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Coming In On A Wing And A Prayer, and Five Mintes More are all good song examples for the style as well.

woah, nice choices. I'm a little disappointed on how hard they are to find, and the amount of remakes making it more difficult, but I think I found what I'm looking for. Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

Capt'n Ironbrow
2009-01-11, 10:23 AM
Also check out Les Paul. yes, the inventor of the solid body Gibson Guitar, check his song "Mocking Bird's hill"- yeah, that shalalala-tweedeleedeedee song- and T-Bone Walker... especially T-bone, he's inspired a lot of musicians from B.B. King to the Allman Brothers.

also check:

Down the Road apiece- Will Bradley Orchestra
Boogie Woogie Bugle boy- Andrew Sisters (kind of covered by Christina Aguilera last year, Candyman)
House of blue lights- Freddy Slack & Ella Mae Morse (fun song!)
Good Rockin' tonight- Roy Brown/Wynonne Harris (later sung by elvis on the self-titled Album with punkrock-style cover that inspired the cover art of the clash' London Calling)
Guitar boogie- by, who else, Arthur "guitar boogie" smith
The Fatman- Fats Domino

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-19, 09:11 PM
Another tip on finding music you like from the 40s (or any era, really):

Visit pandora.com and start a radio station using one of the songs listed in one of the above posts. Bei Mir Bist Du Schön, for instance. What will follow is a profusion of like-minded songs from the era of big band and close harmony.

Rutskarn
2009-01-19, 09:15 PM
Anything by the Ink Spots is gold dipped in honey.

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 12:21 AM
Go to Google or wherever and look up the Broadway musical "The 1940's Radio Hour." The entire thing is set in the early 1940s (right after the US gets involved in WWII) and is set in a radio station broadcasting a show for troops overseas. Basically the whole thing is old '40s music, including "Blue Moon," "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," and stuff like that.

I was in it back in high school (as one of two lead trumpet players in the on-stage band), and even though I didn't like the play itself, the music was very fun to play.

Linkavitch
2009-01-20, 06:33 PM
Oh, my word. I know it's from the fifties, but go to Youtube and search for "B-52 Rock Lobster." Everybody musta been on crack laced with acid when they shot that video.

"We were at the beach/ everyone had matching towels/ someone looked under the dock/ and they found a rock!/ but it wasn't a rock/ it was a Rock/ Lobster!"

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 06:36 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure the B-52s weren't around until at least the late '60s, or probably sometime the '70s. Either way, it's definitely NOT the '40s or '50s.

Boo
2009-01-20, 08:45 PM
Anything by the Ink Spots is gold dipped in honey.

What about icecream? Honey usually won't make you feel as nostalgic as icecream. Well, not that I'm 80 years old or anything.

Anyway, I've always been a 40's and 50's music guy. Mostly due to movies starring Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers, Judy Garland, and many others.

Tamburlaine
2009-01-21, 07:42 AM
The Puppini Sisters are a current group that do music in this kind of style, and are rather good.