PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Stat Malus Darkblade

Zephyros
2009-01-07, 12:39 AM
Is there anyway to stat this vicious, cold hearted, bast*rd, made of win hero, using 3.5 rules?

Link for those who don't know but wish to learn :smallbiggrin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malus_Darkblade

This dude is one of the most solid and round anti-heroes I ve ever read (barring Classic Literature) and I am gonna use him in my warhammeresque disciples Campaign in the near future...

There so many aspects of him you need to cramp in a single character...

from wiki:

Even after acquiring the Warpsword of Khaine, Malus changes weapons and equipment regularly. He is talented with a variety of weapons, particularly swords and axes, and shows skill at fighting with two weapons, even dissimilar ones. He has shown some proficiency at archery, but Malus rarely carries a bow or crossbow. His favorite tactic is to charge an opponent mounted on the Cold One, Spite, and fighting from the saddle.

He is a rather talented general, and is awarded command of a banner of Cold One Knights during the third book, and overall command of an army as well, managing to save it from a disastrous rout while simultaneously slaying the enemy general. He is also granted brief control of the Witch King's northerm forces by virtue of Malekith's writ. A large portion of this army is destroyed in battle with the Chaos Hordes, and even more so during the siege afterwards. To be fair, there is no way Malus could have come out of that battle with any degree of victory, considering the vast difference in numbers.

Malus has a good grasp on Dark Elf psychology, able to inspire troops to battle with brief speeches.

Malus has some innate talent for sorcery, though he dislikes it and has no formal training as a wizard. He has managed to figure out several magical puzzles, as well as the uses of the artifacts he is sent to find for the daemon Tz'arkan. Malus also uses the demonic abilities of the deamon Tz'arkan although only when was absolutely necessary.

Is this doable at an ECL around 17-20?

RTGoodman
2009-01-07, 01:45 AM
Note: I don't know ANYTHING about WH, and this the first time I've ever heard of the character. Just so you know.

This, to me, just screams Bard/Warblade (i.e. Bardblade). Bard covers the arcane knowledge, UMD, and some commander-ish stuff, White Raven maneuvers and stuff solidify the commander role, and the Warblade maneuvers and features both give excellent martial abilities AND the ability to switch to a different weapon with just a little bit of time. Make him a Drow or Half-Drow (if you want different racial abilities) and you're all set. Should be pretty doable at, what, ECL 3-4? (I don't remember the Drow starting ECL, and I'm too lazy to look it up again... :smalltongue:)

Does that miss any of his defining features?

Zephyros
2009-01-07, 06:57 AM
It fits him surprisingly well apart from one single thing. His disdain for magic (even though he has an affinity for it) Is there any magicless bard ACF anywhere? Please?? Pretty plz :smallbiggrin:? It should give UMD though...

also WH Dark Elves are quite identical too high elves but for their evil eviler evilness :smallamused:

This is the picture of the dude...

http://www.clintlangley.com/gallerys/gallery02/g2_02.jpg

Also most of the time he is possessed by Tz'arkan a powerful demon servant of the Chaos God Slaanesh, who assumes the role of ally and rider at times. (+2 ECL?)

Thx for the help... Anyone else?

Eldariel
2009-01-07, 08:14 AM
Go with Bard/Warblade with Song of the White Raven and Perform: Oratory. Really, he is sorcerous so having few spontaneous level 0 cantrips that he never actually uses doesn't seem to hurt much of his image; on the contrary, having small abilities (but no training so only small) and not using them seems to fit him perfectly. Because everything else is so perfect in the combo, I don't see a reason to give it up for that small factor, especially since it does suit his character.

bosssmiley
2009-01-07, 08:22 AM
NE Elf Fighter/Rogue will fit most of the requirements of this particular Elric manque

Zephyros
2009-01-07, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone...

@bosssmiley:

Elric manque... ELRIC MANQUE...

dude you hurt my feelings...

no seriously now...

I mean if you have read the books, can you find even a single moment of repentance or anguish in this guy's story? Even when he killed his father he was pissed off that it wasn't as triumphant as he expected it... Don't insult again one of the Bloody-Handed-God chosen. :smallsigh: