PDA

View Full Version : 4ed Warlock Build Help

ShaggyMarco
2009-01-07, 08:48 AM
I'm looking to play a decently well-rounded and useful character for an upcoming session. I've landed on playing an Eladrin Fey-Pact Warlock (level 6, standard stats and gear).

My build right now looks like this:

Str 10
Con 14
Dex 12
Int 17
Wis 8
Cha 18

Feats: Improved Misty Step, Toughness, Blade Initiate, Intelligent Blademaster

Magic Items: +2 Pact blade, Magic Leather +2, Feyleaf Vambraces, Cape of the Montebank +1

Powers:
At-Will: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite
Encounter: Etherial Stride, Fey Step, Fey Switch, Otherwind Stride, Witchfire
Daily: Crown of Madness, Dread Star

Trained Skills: Arcana (Blade Initiate), Bluff, Intimidate, Stealth (Eladrin Racial), Streetwise, Thievery

My idea is to be super mobile. I THINK I'm sturdy enough to teleport around the battlefield doing a combination of shooting from the outside edges and providing opportune flanking positioning. My sword is my implement and I have a good melee attack due to Intelligent Blademaster.

I am not in love with my Daily Powers, but they seemed like the best availible. Also, I am not completely married to my feats, though I would like to be well-rounded enough to have a good melee at-will, and Intelligent Blademaster seems to be the best way to do that.

I am envisioning my defender getting himself surrounded, then I fey switch him out of the cluster and then Otherwind Stride myself out of the cluster, immobilizing many of the enemies. I've played this build a little on PBP, and did base it (VERY) loosely on the Teleporter build in Dragon Magazine, but have heavily customized it for my interests.

What are my strengths (mobility) and weaknesses (Fort Defense)?
Any suggestions (especially on Daily Powers and/or feats)?

Kurald Galain
2009-01-07, 08:59 AM
Seems to be you're overdoing it on the teleportation powers. You've got Etherial Stride (sic), Fey Step, Fey Switch, Otherwind Stride and your pact boon. Remember that most encounters really don't last that long.

I would suggest swapping to a race with a cha bonus. A better to-hit chance is more important, to a striker, than Yet Another teleport option.

ShaggyMarco
2009-01-07, 09:10 AM
Race suggestions?

I picked Eladrin for A: Int Bonus helps my seocndary effects
and B: I could use a longsword (Pact Sword) as an Implement, tying up my melee and ranged powers all in one piece of magical equipment.

Also, most of my teleports are move actions, so I will go through them quickly. Still, If you see better options at certain levels, I'd love to hear them.

caden_varn
2009-01-07, 09:20 AM
As Kurald said, you are quite teleporty. If you do decide to change race, Halfling works quite well as the Second Chance ability helps out if you need to use a ranged power in melee (and all your combat powers are ranged. Plus of you have a fighter, that opportunity attack your enemies make can give a free hit if the enemy is marked.
Your AC is probably not going to be bad, but you are likely to be lower than a defender type, so you want to be a bit careful in melee, esp as you'll be down 2 Int.

Otherwise, Tiefling will boost up your Con for more HP, and also makes the infernal path powers more useful.

Power-wise, I rather like the Curse of the Dark Dream. And if it doesn't make you more mobile, it does make the enemy move around...

edit: a lot depends on party build too - for example if you have a rogue, bouncing around to give him flanking can be great. Do you know what classes/builds the rest of the group have? 4E really rewards cohesive party builds more than individual character builds.

Charity
2009-01-07, 09:42 AM
Half elves make pretty handy warlocks, also grabing a wizard or Paladin at will as an encounter power might work well.
Are Dark pact warlocks available? If so as a half elf you could even use their at will as an encounter power... you could always be a human and get it as an at will.

ShaggyMarco
2009-01-07, 10:07 AM
How would Tiefling boost my Con? They get Int/Cha, yes?

Also, is it generally a good idea to spilt COn/Cha powers for a Warlock? That seems a little MAD to me...especially if you want a great Int for secondary effects.

I think, if I end up changing race, I will likely drop the Swordmage thing, though 1/day AC boost and the usable melee will be missed.

Halfling would be good for the provoke OA with a fighter build. I'll look into that. I'll have fewer skills availible, and Stealth will be harder to come by...

I don't THINK Half-Elves can grab an at-will from their own class for Dillitante, can they?

caden_varn
2009-01-07, 10:51 AM
I thought they were Con/Cha, but I don't have my manuals to hand (at work right now). Int/Cha sounds more familiar now you mention it, so I think you are right. In which case it fits better.

As to splitting for Con, it is not ideal, no, but it may depend on the party build. As my group has no Wizard, I ended up taking some infernal stuff I would not otherwise want to get some AoE.

If you do take Halfling, and you want to be provoking AoE a lot (I do this to give the fighter extra attacks a lot), consider Combat mobility for extra AC or Halfling Agility(? not sure of the name exactly - gives -2 to opponents attack on Second Chance).

Kurald Galain
2009-01-07, 11:14 AM
I picked Eladrin for A: Int Bonus helps my seocndary effects
and B: I could use a longsword (Pact Sword) as an Implement, tying up my melee and ranged powers all in one piece of magical equipment.
Yeah, but you might want to have a bonus to your primary effects instead. Also, if you're a warlock, you don't need melee.

If your DM allows the MM races, I'd suggest Doppelganger (great fun!), Drow (useful encounter powers, and stealth bonus), Gnome (more stealth bonus) and surprisingly Hobgoblin.

Also, most of my teleports are move actions, so I will go through them quickly.
That needn't bother you. First, you don't have a need to teleport every single round, and second, the important part of a combat is frequently over within three or four rounds, so it's irrelevant what you've run out of after that.

Also, is it generally a good idea to spilt COn/Cha powers for a Warlock?
Not particularly.

I think, if I end up changing race, I will likely drop the Swordmage thing, though 1/day AC boost and the usable melee will be missed.
I suspect you won't miss them, really. Plus this opens up the chance to multi into something else at some point (e.g. bard, when it's available, or wizard).

I don't THINK Half-Elves can grab an at-will from their own class for Dillitante, can they?
Nope.

If you do take Halfling, and you want to be provoking AoE a lot (I do this to give the fighter extra attacks a lot), consider Combat mobility for extra AC or Halfling Agility
I'd say that neither feat is really worth it. If you're going to provoke OAs a lot, be an infernalock and stock up on temporary hit points.

ShaggyMarco
2009-01-07, 12:47 PM
I'd say that neither feat is really worth it. If you're going to provoke OAs a lot, be an infernalock and stock up on temporary hit points.

And I've played that character before.