PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problem

Frog Dragon
2009-01-07, 09:11 AM
I have the weirdest problem with my connection. Every once in a while when I'm surfing the internet my computer pops me a "Connect Internet" (I use a finnish Vista so it's rather hard to translate) even though I am obviously surfing the internet. The pop-up wouldn't be so bad, but it apparently cuts my regular internet connection in an attempt to form the other one which if I try to finish it never works. I usually just press x to get the pop-up from bothering me, but it always comes back. Usually when I'm loading a page or website. Even though it's mainly a nuisance I would like to ask you. How do I get rid of this?

bluewind95
2009-01-07, 11:44 AM
Screenshot? I mean, we probably won't be able to read it, but maybe we can tell how legitimate it might be. Just out of curiosity, do you connect with wireless?

Seonor
2009-01-07, 12:31 PM
If your pc has two or more ways to connect to the internet (lan, wireless, whatever) disable all but the one you actually use. No garantees, but windows sometimes gets a little overwhelmed when forced to decide if it should use one over the other.

bluewind95
2009-01-07, 12:37 PM
What the above poster said.

Although I asked about the wireless because if you have several networks saved, I believe Windows saves them in order of preference, and if the network you're actually using has a lower preference than a network it suddenly gets, Windows will try to connect you to that network instead of yours. And the connection might have a low signal and then it will knock you back to your real network. It might be worth a look.

thubby
2009-01-07, 01:28 PM
are you behind a router?

Frog Dragon
2009-01-07, 02:51 PM
I have a wired internet though it seems I could have a wireless if i wanted.
And what do you mean by "router" English is not my first language
Here's a screenshot. The window is in finnish.
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5050/screenshotongelmastaub8.th.jpg (http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotongelmastaub8.jpg)

Oregano
2009-01-07, 03:07 PM
By router he means a machine/device you plug into your computer that lets you network the computers(usually wireless), it's mainly used for wireless internet.

EDIT: If you have a wireless adaptor, you don't need to plug it into your computer, but the internet must be connected to the router.

bluewind95
2009-01-07, 03:11 PM
Yep. That seems legitimate.

Anyways, the wire you have... what is it connected to? Some outlet in the wall or a little rectangular device with blinking lights* (that should be your router)?

Because if it's connected to the router, you might want to give it a good look. Sounds like it's possible your internet is getting cut off every so often. The lights on the router should probably reflect this. I have a similar problem, and the router basically resets itself when I use the connection sometimes.

*Sorry, dunno how else to describe it. :smalltongue:

Desyth
2009-01-08, 10:12 AM
@bluewind: could be the router, certainly.

I personally think it could be that your wireless card is detecting a really weak network and asking you if you want to connect to it whenever it picks it up. Try disabling your wireless card and see if that solves the problem.

Tirian
2009-01-08, 10:56 AM
I had the same problem, and it's Vista shenanigans. When a website takes too long in returning a page, for some bizarre reason Vista thinks that it must be because you aren't logged on to the internet. INORITE?

Anyway, the solution is to go into Internet Explorer (even if you never use it, I know), select Internet Options from the Tools menu, go to the Connections tab, and select "Never dial a connection". Of course, your mileage will vary on Finnish windows.

Frog Dragon
2009-01-08, 01:34 PM
I've got rid of it now. I apparently had some extra half-done web connection or something like that. Took me a while of rummaging through the set-ups to find it out. I removed it and it has quit complaining about the connections.