PDA

View Full Version : Got Licence

de-trick
2009-01-07, 12:38 PM
I passed my road test today, and now have the keys to my chevy truck, just plugged it in so have a hour to be praised before I go driving

But the great thing is that i only got deducted once, when pulling in to stop, parallel parking was great, right/left turns were fine.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-07, 12:41 PM
Excellent! Congratulations!

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-01-07, 05:25 PM
When my wife took her behind-the-wheel test, the instructor told her "pull off the road here." She meant the parking lot that was coming up. My wife complied with the instructions more quickly and literally than the instructor intended - went right over the crumbling curb and off-road.

Yeah, Jeeps rule. :smallcool:

Congrads, de-trick. Do you have any limitations/conditions on your license, like the number of teenagers you can have in your car or driving at night or outside a certain mile radius?

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-07, 05:41 PM
congratulations

i know a lot of people will be lining up to give you advice like "take it slow at first" and "don't over stretch yourself" and "don't speed" and all that - but heed some of the advice.

Take things at your own pace and enjoy it

Sneak
2009-01-07, 05:48 PM
Congrats!

Now I just wish I could get my learner's permit. I took driver's ed already (during winter break, because during the rest of the year I have no time for ten three hour classes), but I still can't get my permit until April (not old enough). D:

I think my parents are sick of driving me around.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-07, 06:52 PM
Harrrumph.
I got my L-Plates over a year ago, but since my family never drives anywhere it's nigh-impossible to get the 120 hours of practice required to take a test to get the P-Plates.* Then it's only three years and two tests until I can progress to an actual license.
Have I mentioned that I don't like Australia?
I have a theory that the government is trying to reduce the number of P-Plate accidents by reducing the number of P-Platers.

EDIT: *If you're on L-Plates you have to have someone with a full license in the car with you at all times.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-07, 06:54 PM
Congratulations, de-trick =)

I've been stuck with my learner's permit for two years
<<
>>
I'll get to getting my license eventually, I swear! Its just almost impossible, since, you know, I work during most daylight hours and can't get any practice in v.v

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-01-07, 07:20 PM
I live in the inner city. Even if I do get a license, which I most likely will, I'm not thinking of getting my own car. I don't need it to get around Toronto, I just walk, or take the TTC. TTC=Toronto Transit Commission, and includes streetcars, buses, subways, and a bunch of light rail they're putting in in a few years.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-01-07, 08:24 PM
Hey, congratulations! Most of all on the nearly flawless performance you did.

*gives a high five*

Jalor
2009-01-07, 09:24 PM
Awesome. Enjoy your freedom!

Florida, unfortunately, has changed its laws so that I now have to be 18 to get a license instead of 16. I was all set to start driver's ed in a few months, looking at classifieds for crappy used cars that I can afford, and then they pass the friggin law. *facedesk*

(damn post got eaten six times. stupid server. RAGE!)

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-07, 09:58 PM
Harrrumph.
I got my L-Plates over a year ago, but since my family never drives anywhere it's nigh-impossible to get the 120 hours of practice required to take a test to get the P-Plates.* Then it's only three years and two tests until I can progress to an actual license.

What?! Traitor! Release the Drop Bears! :smalltongue:

At least you only need to be sixteen and (something months? Nine?) to get your L's, I hear it's 18 elsewhere.

Jack Squat
2009-01-07, 10:15 PM
Harrrumph.
I have a theory that the government is trying to reduce the number of P-Plate accidents by reducing the number of P-Platers.

EDIT: *If you're on L-Plates you have to have someone with a full license in the car with you at all times.

Does it have to be a recorded 120 hours, or do your parents just have to sign of and say "yeah, he did it"?

We had to have 50 hours on our permit before getting our license, and only needed the latter.

Deathslayer7
2009-01-07, 10:39 PM
I had to record 50 hours as well, but they don't really check it. Just to make sure it is filled out. I could have completely lied on it, and they wouldn't have known.

But anyway, congratulations! :smallsmile:

I only screwed up on a left hand turn. Accidentally headed for the second lane, but corrected myself. The instructor noticed though. >.< but passed with a 96. :smallbiggrin:

Now just don't get into any accidents that are your fault, otherwise your insurance will sky rocket like mine did. :smallfrown:

Llama231
2009-01-11, 01:16 PM
[B]CONGRAAAAJULATIONZ[/Brawl Announcer Voice]

SDF
2009-01-11, 06:34 PM
When I took the test I never got marked down, but I almost didn't get to do it because I couldn't find the hazard lights on my dad's explorer. (srsly they hide the damn thing pretty well >_>) I never took drivers ed, my dad taught me. I was told I was the best driver the tester had seen in months. This terrified me, and after several years of driving this seems to hold true. :smallannoyed:

JeffreyToTheMax
2009-01-11, 07:01 PM
I'm so afraid of driving that I just ordered a moped. I'm sure it was from a reputable website, despite the misspelled URL.

My area does have a bus system, but I would describe the station from which they originate as a bloody swath carved into the earth, a font of hate and misery from which only wailing spirits bent on destruction can emerge. I'm not a fan of the buses is what I'm saying.

Here's a question for you: if an hourly bus is regularly up to half an hour late, is it 30 minutes late or 30 minutes early?

Studoku
2009-01-11, 07:09 PM
Here's a question for you: if an hourly bus is regularly up to half an hour late, is it 30 minutes late or 30 minutes early?
It's probably the other bus, 90 minutes late.

Jamin
2009-01-11, 09:00 PM
I thought this was going to be some sort of got milk parody.

Sneak
2009-01-11, 09:37 PM
I thought this was going to be some sort of got milk parody.

Got false expectations?

Kjata
2009-01-11, 10:42 PM
I love having my license, I've had it for like 3 months now. Only 3 more to go!

Apex
2009-01-12, 12:05 AM
Harrrumph.
I got my L-Plates over a year ago, but since my family never drives anywhere it's nigh-impossible to get the 120 hours of practice required to take a test to get the P-Plates.*

Hah. I thought my 25 hours was bad.

Although everyone I knew (except myself) just bluffed their 25 hours. When I handed in my hours, they had an unbelievably quick check (Sent me back twice though because I had uninitialed 'marks' on the page), and said "Yeah fine".

KerfuffleMach2
2009-01-12, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I find the whole learner's permit situation here to be kinda funny.

You see, you don't actually have to take driver's ed to get a license here.

All you have to do is be at least 18, pass the written test, and pass the road test. That's it.

That being said, I had to take the road test twice. Because I ran a slightly hidden stop sign. And if you do anything that can get you pulled over, you fail the road test.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-12, 12:39 AM
At least you only need to be sixteen and (something months? Nine?) to get your L's, I hear it's 18 elsewhere.

Just sixteen. But elsewhere you can get your license at 18. That is physically impossible here, since you have to hold your L-Plates for six months at least, then your red P-Plates for a year, then your green P-Plates for another two years. That assumes your tests and such go smoothly.

Does it have to be a recorded 120 hours, or do your parents just have to sign of and say "yeah, he did it"?

You'd need to put a bit of effort into it. You need to write exactly where you went, the positions of the odometer, what the weather was like, all sorts of stuff.
That's for every different session. And one needs a signature for each.

My theory is that the government is attempting to reduce the number of P-Plate related accidents by reducing the number of P-Platers.

Solaris
2009-01-12, 01:11 AM
Congrats, kiddo.

I'm twenty-one, and the only vehicles I've driven were up-armored and in a combat zone (no shooting, thank the Maker - you don't wanna be the guy driving the unarmed five-ton truck when a firefight breaks out). I figure it's practice for when I visit my cousin in New York. I don't have a civilian license, actually. Never needed one, what with the fact that I could walk everywhere in my postage-stamp-sized home town.

Val
2009-01-12, 01:15 AM
I got my license at 18, so I didn't have to hand in records of my driving practice (though I only had to do 25, people I think within a year or two younger had it doubled). Unfortunately, being an idiot and not having bothered to get employment more gainful than music performance/instruction, I can't afford car insurance.

So I don't drive as much as Solaris, even.

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 01:24 AM
I always suggest doing what i did and totalling a car before you get your license. The bit where i suffered a bad bruise on my chest and mild reoccuring psychological trauma can be avoided if you are careful.

Congrats!

KerfuffleMach2
2009-01-12, 01:24 AM
I got my license at 18, so I didn't have to hand in records of my driving practice (though I only had to do 25, people I think within a year or two younger had it doubled). Unfortunately, being an idiot and not having bothered to get employment more gainful than music performance/instruction, I can't afford car insurance.

So I don't drive as much as Solaris, even.

I'm guessing your state requires insurance by law, then?

Solaris
2009-01-12, 02:12 AM
Yep. No-Fault Insurance! It's a win... for the insurance companies. I'd forgotten that "I can't afford insurance" was a major factor in never getting a license.
*Grumbles about corrupt local politicians in the Midwest*