PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rod of Wonder cheese?

Caeldrim
2009-01-08, 01:05 AM
As some will have read in my earlier posts, I'm playing a whisper gnome wizard in my sunday game at the moment.

The DM handed out a Rod of Wonder recently.

I fired it off a few times for giggles, made some grass and some butterflies, before the DM decided that from now on any effect it had that didn't specify a duration would be permanent, so I decided to stow it and think a bit harder before using it again.

Having a look through the potential effects, I see 3 that affect the weilder.

One changes you to be blue, purple or green - not really that big a deal, could just need some explaining in RP situations, or some makeup/alter self applications.

One makes you invisible. Permanent invisibility could be both a boon and a curse. Can anyone think of ways this could be bad for my character?

The third is the one that really interests me. It shrinks the user to 1/16th of his original size. I'm about 4' tall to start with, so this would leave me about 3 inches tall, and change my size from 'Small' to 'Fine'. This would give me +8 on AC, +8 on attack rolls, +16 on hide checks, and a big penalty on grapple checks and movement speed.

I think this could be really awesome (mechanically) for my character.

Someone please convince me not to just fire the rod at a wall until it shrinks me/turns me invisible/both.

Jasdoif
2009-01-08, 01:15 AM
It would greatly depend on if your DM chooses to read "Invisibility" as the spell invisibility; if so, the effect will cease when you make an attack.

sonofzeal
2009-01-08, 01:19 AM
I'd bring it up with the DM first. Seriously.

Haven
2009-01-08, 01:32 AM
Well, is your character aware that everything's suddenly permanent?

If not, I suggest you just carry on as you were, what with the using it for giggles, and if you get this result act like this hadn't occurred to you.

Caeldrim
2009-01-08, 01:38 AM
Since no duration is listed for the reduce, invisibility, or colour changing effects, does anyone see anything in RAW as to why the effects WOULDN'T be permanent?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-01-08, 01:56 AM
Many of the descriptions assume you're targeting someone (or something) before you use the rod, so I'd be careful about that. I'd also like to point out a couple other potentially useful/humorous RAW effects with no duration:

Summon an animal—a rhino (01-25 on d%), elephant (26-50), or mouse (51-100).

Grass grows in 160-sq.-ft. area before the rod, or grass existing there grows to ten times normal size.

Turn ethereal any nonliving object of up to 1,000 lb. mass and up to 30 cu. ft. in size. (emphasis mine)

I would personally rule that any Rod of Wonder effect that duplicates a spell (and the SRD assumes that the invisibility effect is, in fact, Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm)) would use the spell's listed duration, but ask your DM!

Oh, and the gems are always nice to get. 10-40 1gp gems is like getting a blackjack when you bet $5.

Caeldrim
2009-01-08, 02:24 AM
re: the invisibility effect, this was actually the example he used/cited when telling me that all effects without a listed duration would be permanent. This is what makes me think all the others would be too.

Hawriel
2009-01-08, 02:52 AM
So you think it would be cool to be a permanently invisiable and or 4 inches tall? I see big problems with this. The cleric cant see you to heal you. Snakes hunt by sent. A gold coin is now the size of a large shield, and to heavy to lift. Owls, cats, rats, farmer with shovel. You interested in pixies? Your not going to have a desent relationship with a gnome girl being four inches tall. Cloud kill now has sixteen times the radius for you to get out of. I can think of many many things that would be detramentle for you.

Keld Denar
2009-01-08, 03:19 AM
Precident would dictate that you use the items CL or the minimum CL of the spell it duplicates, or a similar spell, for the effect.

For example, a Ring of Invisiblity states that upon use, the wielder becomes invisible, as per the spell. It doesn't say how long though. Invisibility has a duration of minutes/level, and a minimum CL of 3 (for a 2nd level spell) and thus lasts 3 minutes per activation.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-01-08, 03:26 AM
re: the invisibility effect, this was actually the example he used/cited when telling me that all effects without a listed duration would be permanent. This is what makes me think all the others would be too.Well, now, if that's the case, I suppose all of the other effects that replicate spells are permanent as well.

You can get a permanent area of Stinking Cloud, Darkness, and Gust of Wind. Add the shimmering blindness effect to that (the blindness isn't permanent, but the shimmering area is, since it doesn't state its duration anywhere) and you have a little bit of "difficult terrain." Just make sure to target something in an area you don't want people to enter.

You could also permanently Enlarge a friend... On second thought, never target allies.

EDIT: Response to Hawriel.

So you think it would be cool to be a permanently invisiable and or 4 inches tall? I see big problems with this. The cleric cant see you to heal you. Snakes hunt by sent. A gold coin is now the size of a large shield, and to heavy to lift. Owls, cats, rats, farmer with shovel. You interested in pixies? Your not going to have a desent relationship with a gnome girl being four inches tall. Cloud kill now has sixteen times the radius for you to get out of. I can think of many many things that would be detramentle for you.Status (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/status.htm), which is a nice spell for Clerics anyway IMO, solves the location problem. The predator problem I don't see coming up too much in a higher level party. (I assume the group is at least of moderate level for a Rod of Wonder to drop in their laps.) If it really is a problem, Hide From Animals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideFromAnimals.htm) will work in a pinch, and judicious use of Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm) to keep cleanly will at least reduce the scent problem if there isn't a wilderness type hanging around. Party members can carry coins, and since magic items re-size to fit the user, Tiny Caster is actually quite fit to carry some of the marketable magical gear (aka phat lewtz) back to town.

Of course, these are in large part out of game concerns. Being permanently invisible and four inches tall would, IMO, be quite a downer for most characters in their mind, at least after a few attempted social encounters.

Stephen_E
2009-01-08, 04:49 AM
I'd also suggest your Whisper Gnome Wizard become a Wild Mage (Comp Arcane). 3rd? lev ability allows 2 rolls on Rod of Wonder and other such things, with you choosing which to take.

If you do become a Wild Mage get a Druid to make Reincarnation Scrolls and learn UMD to cast them. Gives you two rolls on the Reincarnation chart (anyone who likes Rods of Wonder should love Reincarnation).

Stephen E

Brother Oni
2009-01-08, 05:25 AM
With regard to being 4 inch tall caster, I can see plenty of problems with spells requiring a material component and if the DM rules that you still need the standard amounts to cast a spell.

For example fireball, I believe, requires bat guano to cast. I can see a reasonable judgement being that you now require a fortitude save to handle the necessary amount of crap as it's nine times as much (assuming a 3ft gnome is shrunk to 4 inches) as you used to handle.

bosssmiley
2009-01-08, 06:25 AM
One makes you invisible. Permanent invisibility could be both a boon and a curse. Can anyone think of ways this could be bad for my character?

The third is the one that really interests me. It shrinks the user to 1/16th of his original size. I'm about 4' tall to start with, so this would leave me about 3 inches tall, and change my size from 'Small' to 'Fine'. This would give me +8 on AC, +8 on attack rolls, +16 on hide checks, and a big penalty on grapple checks and movement speed.

I think this could be really awesome (mechanically) for my character.

Someone please convince me not to just fire the rod at a wall until it shrinks me/turns me invisible/both.

You have seen "The Invisible Man" and "The Incredible Shrinking Man", right? Well, you can bet the DM has. The effects you perceive as benefits are not without their drawbacks.

Handing out a Wand (as was)/Rod of Wonder - or worse, the Deck of Many Things ( :smalleek: ) - to the wrecking crew is usually a clue that the DM is either bored with the game as is, or fancies some gonzo antics (http://shamsgrog.blogspot.com/2009/01/arduin-whacky-arduin.html) in the game.

Those caveat given, the idea of a "Borrowers", "Carpet People" or "Bromeliad" D&D adventure due to inevitable eejit item backfire has HUEG potential for lulz.

"...and that's how my paladin was beaten to death by a squirrel (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J9nhIY99_18)."