PDA

View Full Version : Apple to remove DRM from iTunes music

Zakama
2009-01-08, 03:00 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/companies/07apple.html?emc=eta1

YES! I'll be able to buy music from Apple's vast music library and play it on my Zune! :smallbiggrin:

toasty
2009-01-08, 03:18 AM
Well... with Amazon having a no DRM on their music... it's about time.

Still, I hate Itunes (don't ask why... I just don't like Ipods or Itunes). So I'll stick with Amazon. ;)

thubby
2009-01-08, 05:04 AM
*ques hallelujah sound effect*
kind of a bummer on the price change though. well, at least for all those who like popular music.

Thes Hunter
2009-01-08, 08:06 AM
Darn it! I just bought 3 disks last week from iTunes! I wonder if I can get it retroactively? :smallconfused:

(in case anyone is wondering they were Nick Cave "Henry's Dreams", Radiohead "In Rainbows", and The The "Mind Bomb".)

toasty
2009-01-08, 08:20 AM
Darn it! I just bought 3 disks last week from iTunes! I wonder if I can get it retroactively? :smallconfused:

(in case anyone is wondering they were Nick Cave "Henry's Dreams", Radiohead "In Rainbows", and The The "Mind Bomb".)

You can, but you need to pay them more money.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-08, 07:38 PM
Oh...

How much are they charging now? :smallmad:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-01-08, 07:52 PM
See, this is why I just buy the record, and then take the MP3's off it myself to put on my Zune.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-08, 08:16 PM
See, this is why I just buy the record, and then take the MP3's off it myself to put on my Zune.

I thought that was illegal too? I'm not sure (not to mention it is ridiculous if it is true), but I was under the impression that if you legally purchased a CD and put the music on your own computer for your own personal use, that was illegal. *Eyeroll*

TigerHunter
2009-01-08, 08:22 PM
I thought that was illegal too? I'm not sure (not to mention it is ridiculous if it is true), but I was under the impression that if you legally purchased a CD and put the music on your own computer for your own personal use, that was illegal. *Eyeroll*
Only if it's copy-protected to prevent you from putting them on the computer.

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-08, 09:07 PM
Fair use has yet to be repealed. Of course it's not illegal.

Now the software to do so can be made illegal (and has been in the case of DRM-protected material; since Blu-Ray protection doesn't allow taking screenshots from normal players, software that circumvents that protection to allow it is illegal in the United States, for instance), but that's technically different, which is why they can do it that way in the first place.

Jack Squat
2009-01-08, 09:31 PM

I'm no lawyer, but;

When you buy a CD with songs on it, you are technically buying the rights to use one copy of that song. You can rip it to as many devices as you want, but so long as you only use one copy at a time, you are not in violation. This is why several pirate sites run under the guise of a "replacement" service - that being that they make it possible for you to gain a copy of a song or video or whatever if your copy of it is lost or damaged. Never used one of those services (well, not since the whole Napster deal), but some people I know use them to get anime.

FdL
2009-01-08, 09:34 PM

No, this is fair, perfectly legal, and pretty much everyday use for us people who don't use iTunes.

Athaniar
2009-01-09, 01:02 PM
I'm a regular iTunes/iPod user who don't do anything with my songs except listening to them, on both computer and 'pod, so the only thing this means to me is that many songs are cheaper. Good, I guess, as long as it's not US only.