PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Armor] Biblios

Fax Celestis
2009-01-08, 01:54 PM
{table=head]Exotic Shield | Cost | Shield Bonus | Armor Check Penalty | Arcane Spell Failure Chance | Weight
Biblios | 80 gp + Special | 1 | -2 | 15% | 20 lbs.[/table]

A biblios (plural: biblia) is an iron- or steel-shod large book with a pair of straps on the back cover. The biblios is used as a shield. Like a librum, a biblios holds scrolls inside of it, up to ten.

When the wielder is struck by a critical hit, the biblios attempts to activate one of the scrolls within it (selected randomly by rolling 1d10). This attempt acts as a caster level check, using the caster level of the item. A non-magical biblios has an effective caster level of 0 but may still attempt to activate the scroll--it just does so with no bonus. A biblios treats no spells as being on a class spell list even if the wielder has that spell on its spell list. Despite this, a biblios does not need to make Use Magic Device checks to activate a scroll.

A scroll activated by the biblios inflicts that scroll's spell upon the attacking creature. If the spell has an area effect, the effect is centered on the attacker and has its usual results in its area. If the spell affects multiple targets, it affects the attacker and the closest creatures to it, which may include the wielder of the biblios and any allies thereof. If the spell affects its caster even when the caster is not the target of the spell, the wielder of the biblios is considered the caster for the purpose of those effects. Spells that have a direction (such as a cone- or line-shaped spell) start from the attacker and continue directly away from the wielder of the biblios.

Like a regular attempt to activate a scroll, if the attempt fails, the biblios suffers a mishap. Since most biblia are not intelligent items, they automatically fail the DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap. Intelligent biblia may attempt the Wisdom check as normal.

Scrolls activated by the biblios become blank, as usual for used scrolls. If the randomly determined scroll is blank or missing, nothing happens.

Most found biblia are empty, though they occasionally have scrolls from their previous wielders in them. Purchased biblia are always empty.

Treat a biblios as being a heavy steel shield for purposes such as weapon size, shield bash effects, and similar.

Jasdoif
2009-01-08, 02:53 PM
Hey, fun. Kind of unusual for a special effect to be dependent on a foe's threat range but not threat multiplier. But of course, that's the fun part!

I posit the possibility of a biblios that targets the wielder instead of the attacker. "Cast heal when I take a critical hit" would be of a stoic nature befitting a shield.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-08, 03:04 PM
Hey, fun. Kind of unusual for a special effect to be dependent on a foe's threat range but not threat multiplier. But of course, that's the fun part!

I posit the possibility of a biblios that targets the wielder instead of the attacker. "Cast heal when I take a critical hit" would be of a stoic nature befitting a shield.

I was going for more of a retributive effect. That might be a better idea--or an ability for a Knight-Scholar PrC who wields a librum and a biblios.

vegetalss4
2009-01-08, 03:16 PM
what are the DC for the caster level check?

Fax Celestis
2009-01-08, 03:22 PM
what are the DC for the caster level check?

Just like any other scroll activation, it's the scroll's caster level +1.

DracoDei
2009-01-08, 07:48 PM
Sure you don't mean scrolls caster level +10?

Fax Celestis
2009-01-08, 07:53 PM
If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

Nope, I mean +1.

Mando Knight
2009-01-09, 12:27 AM
A scholar wielding both this and the Librum would be an amusing sight. Almost funny enough to sink in the resources needed for two exotic proficiencies.

Pirate_King
2009-01-09, 05:33 PM
I really like both this and the librum in concept, though I'd have to adapt the description of the librum a bit for wielding it to make sense in my mind. One thing gets me, though, and that it's possible to have a non-magical librum or biblios. I think it should have a minimum enchantment, otherwise you're basically saying that a scroll can activate automagically if you hit it hard enough.