PDA

View Full Version : False Gravity [spell compendium]

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-08, 03:02 PM
I am puzzled by this spell. In what situation would you rather have this spell than fly? The casting times and durations are the same, but Fly gives you far more speed and manuevarbility, unless I'm missing something.

Am I missing something?

Darrin
2009-01-08, 03:43 PM
I am puzzled by this spell. In what situation would you rather have this spell than fly? The casting times and durations are the same, but Fly gives you far more speed and manuevarbility, unless I'm missing something.

Am I missing something?

It's from the Planar Handbook. Traditional "fly" spells assume you are on a large terrestial body with a uniform gravitational field. There are other planes where gravity may not exist or vary widely depending on your frame of reference. False Gravity allows you to set the gravity for yourself locally.

Dr Bwaa
2009-01-08, 03:54 PM
It's also better as a trap than fly is :)

Prometheus
2009-01-08, 04:17 PM
For example, the Elemental Plane of Air and of Earth both have subjective gravity. That is, you can chose which way is down. Obviously this is always advantageous to you (once you get used to it), but a local gravity spell can ground creatures that couldn't really fly if they weren't using falling as a means of transportation.

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-08, 04:38 PM
It's from the Planar Handbook. Traditional "fly" spells assume you are on a large terrestial body with a uniform gravitational field. There are other planes where gravity may not exist or vary widely depending on your frame of reference. False Gravity allows you to set the gravity for yourself locally.

So you can't cast Fly in the elemental plane of air? Or it functions differently?