PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stringed Instrument used as Bow

Walken
2009-01-08, 03:47 PM
My friend was telling me about a feat that allows you to use a stringed instrument as a bow with none or minimal minuses.

But we were unable to find it in the feat compendium and are unsure of its location or existence.

Anyone know anything about this feat?

The Neoclassic
2009-01-08, 03:56 PM
Not familiar with such a feat, but that would be hilarious. Oh, I know, it's very unrealistic. And I don't think many stringed instruments would really even sort-of work for this. That said, homebrewing a feat should be easy. Heck, I don't think a first level bard spell which would transform your lute or such into a shortbow-type weapon for a round/level or minute/level would be unreasonable. Talk with your DM! :smallsmile:

Tacoma
2009-01-08, 03:57 PM
I don't know where you'd find it. Seems simple to reproduce:

Harp Archery [Combat] (DX 13)
You can use any stringed instrument of M or L size in combat as if it were a short bow or long bow (depending on the size of the instrument). This causes no damage to the instrument and leaves it in tune. The ammunition used and other statistics are as a short or long bow.
Archery feats that do not specify a weapon can be employed with the stringed instrument. Feats relating specifically to a short bow or long bow do not apply (including Weapon Focus).
Without this feat, using a stringed instrument as a weapon is impossible.

The problem is one of common sense and a little knowledge of bows and harps. Stringed instruments generally use metal strings that don't draw very far and break easily. Bowstrings are made of dried intestine or fiber cord and are meant to be drawn back very far. Your right hand when drawing back a bow can easily be as far from the bowstring's natural line as the bow's entire length. You simply cannot pull a metal string that far back.

Walken
2009-01-08, 04:03 PM
The problem is one of common sense and a little knowledge of bows and harps. Stringed instruments generally use metal strings that don't draw very far and break easily. Bowstrings are made of dried intestine or fiber cord and are meant to be drawn back very far. Your right hand when drawing back a bow can easily be as far from the bowstring's natural line as the bow's entire length. You simply cannot pull a metal string that far back.

Actually given the period and technology of the strings of an instrument would've been made of the same material as bow strings. (For a very long time, until Nylon was inexpensive Classical Guitars used catgut strings).
Metal strings are really only needed for amplification.

Thanks for the tips though. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2009-01-08, 04:26 PM
in the Disney Robin Hood, Allan-a-Dale does this. i haven't seen a feat anywhere though.

Epinephrine
2009-01-08, 04:29 PM
My earlier post was eaten, but the string doesn't matter. the energy from a bow is derived from flexing of the bow itself. You would need an intrument that was designed to be strung on a flexible frame, and that was long enough that it didn't break when flexed and also provides enough drawlength to accelerate an arrow.

A specifically fantasy-based intrument developed for the job might work - a variant perhaps of the erhu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhu) or igil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igil), both of which have only 2 strings and fairly long, thin necks. A harp is right out - the tension across a harp is huge.

edit - ooh, the Gusle only has one string in many areas, so it might be a good model. You don't want multiple strings, as they'll interfere with using it as a weapon.

Dixieboy
2009-01-08, 04:43 PM
The instrument is made by elves :smallamused:

Bulwer
2009-01-08, 07:22 PM
It seems to me to be more practical to use a bow as a stringed instrument.

Assassin89
2009-01-08, 07:26 PM
Without this feat, using a stringed instrument as a weapon is impossible.

I think you forgot the improvised weaponry penalties because you could still smash the instrument against someone's head.

Tacoma
2009-01-08, 07:27 PM
How about having a violin but the bow can be used as a little bow? Violin bows aren't meant to be drawn back either. Good point, as always, Epinephrine.

What about a crossbow built into your instrument?

Jayabalard
2009-01-08, 07:42 PM
Actually given the period and technology of the strings of an instrument would've been made of the same material as bow strings. Not really.

Sure, some of them were made of gut, but those weren't the only animal products used; hair, sinew, rawhide, and silk. Bow strings were often plant fibers (linen and hemp) rather than animal products, since they were stronger. People generally used beeswax to make them less susceptible to moisture.

Metal wire strung harps have been around at least since the 10th century, and there is some evidence that they have been around quite a bit longer than that.

In any case, Tacoma's main point stands: musical instrument strings are much weaker than bow strings, and the instruments themselves are much more rigid than a bow. Keep in mind that the strength of the bow comes from the bow itself bending, not from the springiness of the string.

Tacoma
2009-01-08, 07:45 PM
Oh also: it should be fun!

So if you want to have your Bard twanging arrows out at people, just ask your DM if he can do it if he spends a feat. Not like it's a game balance issue or anything.

Get a reinforced lute later so you can go all *el-KABONG!* on them in melee. And have the hollow space inside be an extradimensional space like a Bag of Holding. Mmmm.

Keld Denar
2009-01-08, 08:18 PM
Alternately, your bard can wear Quad Toms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_drums) and interspace rhythmic beats between the drum faces and the faces of the foes you drive before you to the sound of the lamentations of their women. FEAR the duel wielding bard with his +1 Drumsticks of DOOM! Mix in a little Dragonfire Inspiration for that truely epic performance where your drumsticks move so fast, fire springs forth from them.

Of course, hes just one member of a band who's lead singer also wields a Violin who's bow doubles as a +1 Wounding Rapier. Like so:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/ClericofPhwarrr/bards.jpg

Tacoma
2009-01-08, 08:25 PM
SQUEE! Me love that bard.

Walken
2009-01-08, 09:36 PM
Well as I got to thinking about it, even if I had a masterwork instrument, I don't think I would be able to put combat bonuses on it.

Alleine
2009-01-08, 09:52 PM
Not a feat but still pertinent to the topic: the Lute-bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070314a)
Just scroll a little ways down. Better than a feat because it costs money rather than a feat slot, and it says resembles a shortbow, which the Bard has proficiency in. Unfortunately it takes a standard action to prepare it for firing.

valadil
2009-01-08, 11:31 PM
As someone proficient in both archery and stringed instruments, I can assure you that there is no way a feat like this is the least bit plausible. OTOH, it's D&D, so whatever.

However, I have heard that many period instruments were thick and heavy and were usable as a melee weapon, just in case a performer needed to defend himself and nothing else was available. I haven't checked the validity of this, but it seems more likely than using a guitar as a bow.

Tomada
2009-01-09, 12:21 AM
Use a berimbau instead!

It IS practically a bow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berimbau

Sereg
2009-01-09, 12:31 AM
This would be fun. IRL the opposite can happen. The San people use their bows as instrumentsso you could do it that way if you want (I'm creating an NPC that does this).

Khanderas
2009-01-09, 02:54 AM
Make one up if you want, but a stringed instrument dont work that way.
A bow bends when you pull it back... ever seen a guitar do that when you play it ?

Now... pay some mad tinkerer to make the unholy child of a repeating crossbow and an instrument so the bard can shoot a few mooks and then burst into a crossbowlute solo for awsomeness (and moralebonus).
Or something.

Project_Mayhem
2009-01-09, 01:47 PM
What about a crossbow built into your instrument?

Now... pay some mad tinkerer to make the unholy child of a repeating crossbow and an instrument so the bard can shoot a few mooks and then burst into a crossbowlute solo for awsomeness (and moralebonus).
Or something.

these guys agree with you
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/billyadavies/desperado1.gif

speters33w
2011-03-05, 08:37 AM
It's probably a little old for this reply, but I'm doing it anyway. I came across this thread looking for something completely unrelated a couple days ago. Then I actually found the feat as described above in a Bastion Press publication looking for something else completely unrelated. Which was too weird, so I am posting it. They used to offer this publication free for download. You should be able to find it somewhere.

From Ink & Quill
by Thomas Knauss

Impromptu Bow [General]
You can shoot arrows with a string instrument.

Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +3, 5 ranks of
Perform (any string instrument), Point Blank Shot

Benefits: You can fire arrows or bolts from a string instrument without penalty. Cellos, guitars, harps, mandolins, violas and violins can be used in this manner. Guitars, mandolins, violas and violins have a range increment of 10 ft., and projectiles launched from these instruments inflict 1d4 points of damage. Cellos and harps have a range increment of 20 ft., and projectiles launched from these instruments inflict 1d6 points of damage. A character must use both hands to properly fire the arrow. Unfortunately, because these items were not constructed for combat purposes, a natural “1” on the attack roll automatically destroys the strings, rendering the instrument useless until repaired.

Bastion Press Open Gaming Content

The entire contents of Ink & Quill is considered Open Content, except for the cover, artwork, and other graphic elements. The cover, artwork, and other graphic elements are Product Identity and owned solely by Bastion Press, Inc.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-05, 08:48 AM
I'd make it a magic weapon, personally.

Stringbow
This large, intricately and designed violin/guitar/insert string instrument of choice was originally built by a bard who desired a easily disguised weapon with which to defend himself from bandits on the road. It can be used to fire arrows as if it were a +3 Screaming Longbow, the taunt strings of the instrument magically stretching to impart the projectile with energy and causing it to howl as it flies to its target. The stringbow also gives a +3 enhancement bonus to all Perform(string instrument) checks made while using it, and a +3 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal its nature as a weapon.
Price: ??
Prerequisites: Dunno

Spiryt
2011-03-05, 08:50 AM
Can't help but notice, that thread is 2 years old.

speters33w
2011-03-05, 08:54 AM

True. But if I found it while looking for something unrelated someone else might as well.

Glyph- There's a non-magic lute-bow in Cityscape WE3 from WotC as well.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-05, 09:03 AM

Werps. I didn't see that either. In that case:

Great Modthulhu: Thread necromancy.