PDA

View Full Version : Strange Item/Power Combo Question [4E]

Nefarion Xid
2009-01-08, 04:44 PM
Suppose a Wizard were wearing Giant Gloves (AV, page 133) which have the property "Gain a +3 item bonus to grab attack rolls. Would that benefit apply to attacks made by the spell Bigby's Grasping Hands?

Intuition says, "no" since the wizard isn't actually using the Grab Attack (as a standard action) but just making grab attacks by proxy. Still, the magical hands are themselves making grab attacks under the direct control of the wizard.

Obviously, I doubt this was an intended function of the item as-written. But, I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this either way.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-08, 04:51 PM
No. A grab attack is the action described on page 290 of the PHB. The bigby's hand is a regular attack with the effect that "the target is grabbed". This is not the same thing.

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-08, 05:08 PM
KD is right, but an item that enhances the Bigby's Hand spells is a cool idea. If you like it, just home brew it. Gloves for a wizard that give +3 to attacks made with the Hand spells.

Burley
2009-01-09, 08:45 AM
I concur with both of the above statements. If it were in a game I ran, however, that'd not be a book item. It'd be a special 'quest' item that the wizard hears about. Through various means, he'd end up paying for it, be it greasing palms or just in rations for the arduous treck. Plus 3 with only a handful (pun) of spells isn't worth the same as the Giant Gloves.