Neek
2009-01-08, 08:24 PM
Now time for some fun new spells:

Cypher
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Level: Bard 1, Cleric 2, Sorcer/Wizard 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./caster level)
Target: 2 targets, +1/caster level (up to 10 targets), including yourself
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

With a few words, and drawing an arcane rune in the air, you bestow a magical language upon yourself and your allies. To you and your allies, this language is natural and is spoken fluently. To anyone else, it sounds like a foreign language, one that they do not understand, nor can even try to understand. As a free action, the targets of this spell can switch between any language they know and this language, as switching with any language.

A person benefiting from this spell can also write in this magical language. The text is only readable by those under the effect of this spell. After the spell ends, the text is irrevocably incomprehensible. A person who is illiterate cannot read or write in this magical language.

If Comprehend Languages is cast, and the caster attempts to touch a person benefiting from this spell, they are required to make an opposed check equal to 10 + your Caster Level. Failure implies that they cannot understand the spell. They can retry, but not on the same target.

Invisible Musician
Transmutation
Level: Bard 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components: V, M, F
Casting Time: Full Round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One unattended musical instrument
Duration: 1 minute/caster level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

By humming a slight tune, you can bring semblance to life to a musical instrument than you know how to play, causing it to play by itself. The music can be whatever you choose, however is noticeably of your own style.

When casting, you can make a Perform check, adding either your Intelligence or Charisma bonus, whichever is higher, to the check. Like a Perform check, the quality of the song being played is indicated by your roll, however at a +5 DC: A check that beats a DC 15 is a routine performance, 20 an enjoyable one, and so on. Failing this check does not cause the spell to fail, just that the performance is a poor one.

This spell cannot be used to activate any bardic music ability.

Material component: A line of music inscribed on a piece of paper, that is burnt up in the casting of the spell.

Focus: A musical instrument that you have played before.

Keyslip - for Fax
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Assassin 2, Bard 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: S, M
Casting Time: 1 Swift Action
Target: 1 key
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

By casting this spell, you can swipe a key and leave another in its place. The key can be either unattended, or in possession of another person. You must have seen the key on possession of the person, or in the open. If you do not have line of sight with the person or the key, the spell fails. If the key is on a keyring, it is replaced by the key in your possession in the same position on the ring.

If the key is possessed by a person, they are entitled to a Will save to resist. A caster is required to make an opposed Sleight of Hand check, using their Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma score (whichever is higher) versus the person's Bluff or Spellcraft check (whichever nets the higher bonus). Failing this check, the person is aware that a switch has taken place, but not sure which key it is. Otherwise, if the caster beats the opposed Bluff or Spellcraft check, the person is unaware that a switch ever took place.

Casting Detect Magic on either of the swapped keys reveals a slight trace of Conjuration. A Spellcraft check versus DC 22 will reveal that Keyslip had been cast, but is interminable as to which key had been swapped.

Material component: A spring from a lock mechanism, which is squeezed tightly and released at the casting of the spell (good luck finding that spring. I've tried. And I still can't find it).

Scathe - Also for Fax
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Cleric 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components: S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Target: One living target
Saving Throw: Will half or Will negates; see text.
Spell Resistance: Yes

You project another's hatred onto another person, tearing at their body with their words. Once cast, you make a ranged touch attack against them. If hit, the target suffers 1d6+1 negative energy damage, +1 per caster level, to a maximum of +5. Will save for half.

In addition, the other's hatred is scarred into their flesh permanently. The creature must make an additional Will save or take 1d4 point of Charisma damage. No amount of healing can restore the scars.

Material component: A hateful letter sealed and unread by the caster, written by someone who is intimately angry at the target.

Yuri's Portable Grills
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch

Yuri's Portable Grill converts raw ingredients into otherwise palpable, edible food. In a few seconds, a slap of meat and a handful of salt can become jerky, fresh vegetables and a pot of water become a soup. The ingredients and an appropriate vessel for the food to be served from are both required for the spell to work.

All the ingredients are chopped appropriately, cooked and seasoned. All the ingredients are consumed by casting this spell.

The food is no less nor more nourishing than it would otherwise be cooked manually. The caster can make a Profession (Cook) check to determine the quality of the meal, however. A check of at least 15 produces decent tasting food, a check of 20 produces good food, and a check of 25 produces a masterwork meal that won't be forgotten. A failed check doesn't cause the spell to fail, just the food created is rather bland. This is under the assumption that the caster has cooked this type of food before; if she hasn't cooked the meal manually before, the spell fails.

Spell focus: A cooking instrument (such as a knife, stirring spoon, etc.)

The Neoclassic
2009-01-08, 09:39 PM
I love Yuri's Portable Grills! Invisible Musician is also nifty. Keep up the good work!

Lappy9000
2009-01-08, 10:36 PM
I love Yuri's Portable Grills! Invisible Musician is also nifty. Keep up the good work!

....................................I thought it was called Yuri's Portable Gills for a moment.

Needless to say, I was horribly confused at first, there.

Neek
2009-01-08, 10:45 PM

Thank you. I wanted to create some more spells that emulate skills (as I've done with Craft (Art) in both drawings and sculptures with Lesser/Greater Draw, and Lesser/Greater Carve), and I figured there needs to be a spell for cooking and playing music.

I enjoy camp spells, which is why I'm going to add a few more dealing with daily tasks at low levels. I'm considering one which sets tents up automatically, and possibly one that lights candles and lamps. If you have any suggestions for such spells, please, I'm all ears.

The D&D category on my wiki has a few more. I might repost them here for review...

lol@Lappy9k. That could be a bit... confusing. Isn't there already a spell that gives you gills?

Eighth_Seraph
2009-01-08, 11:15 PM
You project another's hatred onto another person, tearing at their body with their words. Once cast, you make a ranged touch attack against them. If hit, the target suffers 1d6 +1 per caster level, to a max of +5.

In addition, the other's hatred is scarred into their flesh permanently, causing 1d4 point of Charisma damage. No amount of healing can restore the scars. Emphasis mine.

1d6 + 1 what? I assume damage, but you still want to put the word in there. Also, does the damage cap at 5d6 +5 or xd6 +5 damage?

Overall, very nice work. I would personally raise the DCs for Yuri's Portable Grills up to something that would limit a character from making a superb meal by level 4, but that's just me. It's fluff anyway, but whatevs.

I especially like Cypher, it's nice to see strategic, non-damage, non-buff spells that might actually see use in combat.

Neek
2009-01-08, 11:38 PM
1d6 + 1 what? I assume damage, but you still want to put the word in there. Also, does the damage cap at 5d6 +5 or xd6 +5 damage?

I fixed that. It's 1d6+1 negative energy damage, +1 damage every level, capping out at +5.

Overall, very nice work. I would personally raise the DCs for Yuri's Portable Grills up to something that would limit a character from making a superb meal by level 4, but that's just me. It's fluff anyway, but whatevs.

I did what I did for Carve, Picture, and Invisible Musician, and gave it a base DC 15 to start with (using magic for craft checks, as far as I design them, suffer a +5 DC).

I especially like Cypher, it's nice to see strategic, non-damage, non-buff spells that might actually see use in combat.

I need to make more spells like that.

Pirate_King
2009-01-09, 05:25 PM
permanent ability damage in a 1st level spell? Particularly on a stat that could hurt a sorcerer's casting ability? Other than that, nifty

DracoDei
2009-01-09, 05:36 PM
Noting that that material component is a bit of a tricky one, especially if the writer has to know anything much about the target, but yeah, irreversible ability drain at that level (or almost any level really) is a bit much.

Neek
2009-01-10, 12:09 AM
permanent ability damage in a 1st level spell? Particularly on a stat that could hurt a sorcerer's casting ability? Other than that, nifty

Noting that that material component is a bit of a tricky one, especially if the writer has to know anything much about the target, but yeah, irreversible ability drain at that level (or almost any level really) is a bit much.

As for the permanent damage, Chill Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/chillTouch.htm) is a spell that causes 1 point of Strength damage, and it is also a first level spell. My only failing in the creation of the spell is that it lacks a Saving Throw. I think I should this spell should call for one.

However, I think the material component is a very proper offset to anything this spell delivers. It's a very personal spell, and the spell component must be written by someone other than the caster, and it has to be a personal letter of hate. You can't forge it yourself, because you've then read the letter. You can't have a party member forge it, because the feelings are what's being transfered.

I was motivated to make the spell from the curses ancient people would inscribe on lead scrolls (yes, scrolls) and drop them into a well to wish harm onto another person. This one, I translated from Latin, was the longest one (most of them are a line or two) found so far, and it had a person's eyes pulled out birds, crows pick at his liver, among other hateful wishing. And he or she gave no reason for the hate--just what this person desire to happen.

I'll add a Will save to negate the Charisma damage, to balance it out.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 12:20 AM
However, I think the material component is a very proper offset to anything this spell delivers. It's a very personal spell, and the spell component must be written by someone other than the caster, and it has to be a personal letter of hate. You can't forge it yourself, because you've then read the letter. You can't have a party member forge it, because the feelings are what's being transfered.

I was motivated to make the spell from the curses ancient people would inscribe on lead scrolls (yes, scrolls) and drop them into a well to wish harm onto another person. This one, I translated from Latin, was the longest one (most of them are a line or two) found so far, and it had a person's eyes pulled out birds, crows pick at his liver, among other hateful wishing. And he or she gave no reason for the hate--just what this person desire to happen.

I'll add a Will save to negate the Charisma damage, to balance it out.

That's a really cool spell and equally cool background on it. The only thing I might add is some sort of costly component (20-50 gp, mayhaps?) just to prevent abuse, in case the PCs somehow find a way to get a lot of hate letters produced (PCs can be amazingly resourceful little buggers, or so I hear :smallwink:).

Neek
2009-01-10, 12:57 AM
Costly components can always be surmounted, and oftentimes become irrelevant. How about an XP cost? Be weird for a first level spell, but this spell might warrant it.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 12:58 AM
Costly components can always be surmounted, and oftentimes become irrelevant. How about an XP cost? Be weird for a first level spell, but this spell might warrant it.

Oooh, I like it!

Neek
2009-01-10, 01:31 AM
I'm thinking the spell should require 25 XP. It's not a whole lot, but it's greater than a spell. I'm not sure how to safeguard this spell from becoming a magical item, but I think the material component is good enough to ensure it'll never happen.

And now time for two new spells:

Firestart
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 swif action
Range: 30 ft.

Once cast, any candle, fireplace, fire pit, campfire, or torch is lit as though lit with a tindertwig and appropriate kindling (if necessary)/. The fires light, provided that they are uncovered and set properly. If blocked or out of line of sight, the fires do not light. The fires light without error, regardless of weather (but weather can snuff them). Fires lit by this spell are non-magical, and burn no brighter nor hotter than they normally wood.

Focus: A single unlit tindertwig

The Rune of Meothmar the Mad
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 7
Components: V, S, F, HP (see text)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 humanoid
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving throw: Fortitude negates, special; see text
Spell resistance: Yes

Meothmar the Mad was frail and sickly, his childhood plagued by constant fevers, little vigor, and broken bones all throughout his life. His adulthood was not much better. He turned his meager fortitude to become a strength: By inflicting it upon others.

To cast this spell, you cut your hand with a dagger and touching them--this requires first an attack upon yourself (you automatically hit yourself), and then a touch attack upon them, placing a bloody rune on their body. Immediately, the target must make a Fortitude save or have his hit points reduced to your current hit points (if you have higher hit points than the target, his hit points are not reduced, but passing the save does not end the spell). In addition, the target is required to make another Fortitude save the same round. If this check fails, the target uses your Constitution score as his own for determining saving throws, Concentration, and other effects dependent on Constitution (such as holding your breath).

Each round, while the duration is active, the target must continue to make Fortitude saves. Each time he fails, his points are reduced to your current hit points. After a failure, his maximum hit points (in regards to healing) is capped at your current hit points.

This spell can effectively reduce the target to 0 hp or below, if you ever fall that far. If you are killed while the duration of this spell is still in effect, the target is immediately required to make a Fortitude save. If he fails, your Constitution score becomes his (if yours is lower). If his is higher, he takes 2 points of Constitution damage. This change of Constitution score is not considered permanent damage, however is not temporary. One point can be restored with one casting of Greater Restoration, or be restored wholly with a casting of Miracle.

Focus: An arcane mark, placed on your hand when preparing this spell (effectively losing a 0th level spell slot for the day while this spell is prepared).
Hit point: You must inflict at least 3 points of damage onto yourself to activate the rune before the touch attack is made. You must make a Fortitude save once the touch attack succeeds, or lose 1 hit point permamently.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 01:56 AM
Firestart: I never thought I would say this, but isn't that a little underpowered for a level 0 spell? Nah, mostly kidding. It just jumped out at me that a tindertwig (like, what, 1 gp?) was a necessary material component just to light a fire. Upon more serious inspection it works though.

The Rune of Meothmar the Mad: Very nice. Only problem I actually have is that the guy's name is "the Mad." Rather overused for spellcasters. Such a great spell is deserving of a more fearsome name!

DracoDei
2009-01-10, 02:25 AM
Well, Prestidigitation can produce a small flame from your finger to light fires... not utterly without fail, but you have 1 hour to keep trying and you can do other things with it too...

sigurd
2009-01-10, 04:44 AM
The Rune of Meothmar the Mad: Very nice. Only problem I actually have is that the guy's name is "the Mad." Rather overused for spellcasters. Such a great spell is deserving of a more fearsome name!

You have to figure that unless there is more to his background than the little blurb he wouldn't be known as 'the Mad' for long. If he gained any fame for his spell he might have been known as 'the Leech'. Doesn't alliterate but is perhaps less predictable (IMHO).

I think the spell should probably be limited to current hp or 4hp whichever is greater. If you suicide with this spell do you take someone with you?

Sigurd

Neek
2009-01-10, 07:34 PM
Firestart: I never thought I would say this, but isn't that a little underpowered for a level 0 spell? Nah, mostly kidding. It just jumped out at me that a tindertwig (like, what, 1 gp?) was a necessary material component just to light a fire. Upon more serious inspection it works though.

Seeing as its a focus, and is therefore unspent in the casting, it make for a very appropriate focus (else it'd be a two-copper matchbook, but alas, they don't exist).

[QUOTE=DracoDei;5617313]Well, Prestidigitation can produce a small flame from your finger to light fires... not utterly without fail, but you have 1 hour to keep trying and you can do other things with it too...

Prestidigitation can do it, but this does it with STYLE.

You have to figure that unless there is more to his background than the little blurb he wouldn't be known as 'the Mad' for long. If he gained any fame for his spell he might have been known as 'the Leech'. Doesn't alliterate but is perhaps less predictable (IMHO).

The name itself is a pun, which is why I'm hesitant to change it: The entire concept is based on Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD), seeing as this is what the spell guarantees. If it's too vague of a pun, I'm willing to reconsider it.

I think the spell should probably be limited to current hp or 4hp whichever is greater. If you suicide with this spell do you take someone with you?

I was pondering a limit, because heading into the negatives is an assured kill. Perhaps just 1 hp.

And no, you can't kill someone with this spell. If you die while the spell is in effect (that is, by any cause, from choking on a pretzel, drowning in a bucket of water and unable to resuscitate because of a flaw in the rules, kill yourself by being point blank to a Maximize'd Heighten'd Fireball and failing your saving throws, or simply tripping and falling on a foes sharp poky thing), they suffer Con damage--either their Con is replaced by your score (if it's less), or if it's more or equal, suffers 2 Con damage.

I was thinking of causing death, but at seventh level, you already have spells to make people wake up dead. This spell exists to make them HURT.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 07:38 PM
Seeing as its a focus, and is therefore unspent in the casting, it make for a very appropriate focus (else it'd be a two-copper matchbook, but alas, they don't exist).

Excellent point. I probably misread it as material component. Keep it as it is.

The name itself is a pun, which is why I'm hesitant to change it: The entire concept is based on Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD), seeing as this is what the spell guarantees. If it's too vague of a pun, I'm willing to reconsider it.

Hilarious. That, sir, is a good enough reason to keep it as it is. I wish I'd noticed it myself.

Morph Bark
2009-01-11, 03:47 PM
Nice. I especially like Invisible Musician and Scathe.