PDA

View Full Version : Is Hell endothermic or exothermic?

Mr._Blinky
2009-01-08, 09:37 PM
Just a little something I thought playgrounders would find amusing.:smallbiggrin: (http://www.pinetree.net/humor/thermodynamics.html)

Kjata
2009-01-09, 12:37 AM
That's pretty interesting. That professor sounds kind of like an ass though, i mean who gives out essays about places considered by most to be fictional.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-09, 12:40 AM
Heeheehee. This is actually something I saw first on these forums last year. :smallbiggrin: Great little essay.

thubby
2009-01-09, 12:41 AM
That's pretty interesting. That professor sounds kind of like an ass though, i mean who gives out essays about places considered by most to be fictional.

people who are more interested in how you approach the problem than how you do math?

KnightDisciple
2009-01-09, 12:48 AM
Vaguely amusing. And I'd guess the reason is either what thubby said, or the professor trying to see how they handle an unusual question.
That's all I'll say due to rules of the board. :smallwink:

User Name
2009-01-09, 01:47 AM
I dunno, that reads like something that'd turn up on Snopes. It's too witty and easy for those with no knowledge of physics or engineering to understand.

Yeah, what kinda of jerk hands out tests with questions that don't strictly conform to my spergazoid view of the world. :smallconfused:

The Extinguisher
2009-01-09, 02:04 AM
Personally, I prefer the version where he has slept with her.

Eldan
2009-01-09, 02:38 AM
I read a version were they had sex and this was a bonus question at the end of a normal physics exam. The end was funnier.

_Zoot_
2009-01-09, 02:39 AM
That is a really good site over all, i strongly recomend that people look at some of the other things there too. (if they haven't all really).

Falconer
2009-01-09, 03:04 AM
Very clever, I enjoyed reading that very much. I wonder whether or not that really happened, but it doesn't matter, it was still too awesome.

Yeah, what kinda of jerk hands out tests with questions that don't strictly conform to my spergazoid view of the world. :smallconfused:

And this, good sir, is something that I request to sig.

User Name
2009-01-09, 03:06 AM
Feel free. :smallamused:

thubby
2009-01-09, 04:23 AM
what on earth is spergazoid?

SDF
2009-01-09, 05:58 AM
I dunno, that reads like something that'd turn up on Snopes. It's too witty and easy for those with no knowledge of physics or engineering to understand.

And so it was... (http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/hell.asp)

The ending where he gets the only A doesn't make any sense though. For such an existential question on a college exam would lead to some skewed grade statistics. I've also yet to encounter an open ended metaphysical question in a science class.

Kjata
2009-01-09, 06:03 AM
It said "needs proof." Since I consider hell to be a place with heat made by God to punish the wicked men and demons, the heat is supernatural.

If someone gave me something that affected my grade, and when I looked at it i saw it was dealing with the heat properties of hell, I'd probably be a little peeved. What if I think of hell as a icy wasteland, with snow blowing and a complete lack of heat? That seems more hellish to me.

But I guess if you are into questions such as that, its all good. But things like that aren't for everybody.

@SDF: That's the part that bugged me, that he would grade people so hard on such a question.

Nevrmore
2009-01-09, 06:04 AM
I read this story when I was like nine years old.

Don't trip up on the curb, guys.

dish
2009-01-09, 10:32 AM
And so it was... (http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/hell.asp)

Nice searching. Thank you.

Now, Snopes dates this version of the story at 1997. So when do you lot first remember reading it?
I recieved it in an email from my brother in 1998. The reason I remember that so precisely is because it was the first email I got from him after I finally managed to get myself connected to dial-up in the middle of China.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-09, 10:37 AM
That is very clever, but the use of a common saying to prove a point is not good proof for scientific debate.
:smallwink:

WalkingTarget
2009-01-09, 11:05 AM
Nice searching. Thank you.

Now, Snopes dates this version of the story at 1997. So when do you lot first remember reading it?
I recieved it in an email from my brother in 1998. The reason I remember that so precisely is because it was the first email I got from him after I finally managed to get myself connected to dial-up in the middle of China.

I got my first (personal) email account in 1998 and it was one of several stories that made its rounds around that time (along with chain letters, joke-of-the-day, and other crap that people forwarded to me constantly until I convinced them to stop). Unlike most of them, this one actually amused me.

It kind of scares me, now that I think about it, just how clunky and ugly internet stuff in general was just 10 years ago (hell, 5 years ago WIFI was only just starting to really take off). Time (and technology) marches on.

Neon Knight
2009-01-09, 01:15 PM
College would be a lot more fun if I could get away with stuff like that.

InaVegt
2009-01-09, 02:38 PM
It kind of scares me, now that I think about it, just how clunky and ugly internet stuff in general was just 10 years ago (hell, 5 years ago WIFI was only just starting to really take off). Time (and technology) marches on.

These days, some parts of the world have Internet available at broadband speeds, entirely wireless, very reliable, no data transport limit, low cost, and accessible in huge areas of lands.

With my laptop, I can sit down wherever I want and use the Internet, I can even use transport methods like trains or cars without losing my internet connection, nor it's reliability.

WalkingTarget
2009-01-09, 03:47 PM
These days, some parts of the world have Internet available at broadband speeds, entirely wireless, very reliable, no data transport limit, low cost, and accessible in huge areas of lands.

With my laptop, I can sit down wherever I want and use the Internet, I can even use transport methods like trains or cars without losing my internet connection, nor it's reliability.

Yeah, for the past 5 years I've been working at a company that (among other things) installs, services, and supports internet access in hotels all over the US. Watching wireless access go from a luxury, to a requirement for a few chains, to ubiquitous has been interesting to say the least. Hell, we've been looking into providing WIMAX for a while (I'm not sure what's happened with that recently, though).

zillion ninjas
2009-01-09, 04:46 PM
What if I think of hell as a icy wasteland, with snow blowing and a complete lack of heat? That seems more hellish to me.

Then you'd be in good company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy#Ninth_Circle).

User Name
2009-01-10, 12:45 AM
It said "needs proof." Since I consider hell to be a place with heat made by God to punish the wicked men and demons, the heat is supernatural.

If someone gave me something that affected my grade, and when I looked at it i saw it was dealing with the heat properties of hell, I'd probably be a little peeved. What if I think of hell as a icy wasteland, with snow blowing and a complete lack of heat? That seems more hellish to me.

But I guess if you are into questions such as that, its all good. But things like that aren't for everybody.

@SDF: That's the part that bugged me, that he would grade people so hard on such a question.

The purpose of the question is to test your creative thinking skills, it has nothing to do with anyone's religion. If you're so mentally inflexible that the only way you could answer it is by saying "BLEEP BLOOP I DO NOT BELIEVE IN HELL" then you probably deserve to fail.

Tirian
2009-01-10, 01:49 AM

Probably around then. Certainly not from reading rec.humor, which stopped being worth reading ten years before, but like folks say email chains were pretty well established at the time.

I will say that when I read it I thought that it was a disappointing riff on the more scientifically and scripturally grounded proof that Heaven is hotter than Hell.

Mando Knight
2009-01-10, 04:29 PM
Then you'd be in good company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy#Ninth_Circle).

Ah, that reminds me of another one. Here's what I can remember...

A pair of idiotic Frozen Northerners (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrimUpNorth) die and go to hell. They decide that the heat is a pleasant change, and start enjoying their stay. Now, with Hell being a place of eternal torment and all, Satan was a little miffed. He turns up the heat even more, and is surprised to find the guys even happier. He learns that they've always wanted to live where it was warm all the time... so he goes and freezes hell over. He goes back to the guys to laugh at them... only to find that they're overjoyed.

"What is wrong with you guys?"
"Ooh, don'cha know? (Insert sports team here) must've just won (enter championship here) !"

Doran_Liadon
2009-01-10, 05:08 PM
Hahahaha! Thats good!