PDA

View Full Version : Good thing I remembered not to tell you about my one weakness....

Lappy9000
2009-01-09, 12:41 AM
Guard Captain Reginald (Fighter 5): Halt there, you! No one gets access to see the mistress without her written consent!
Halandar (7 Rogue/3 Assassin): Why, I'd never dream of it! As you can see, I have the lady's own handwriting right here....
*Presents note*
Guard Captain Reginald (Upon Inspection): Hmm, I suppose you check out. I'll send a servant to see you over the the lady's chambers.
Halandar: Remember not to cackle maniacally at the certain success of your evil plot.
Guard Captain Reginald: What was that?!?
Halandar: Oh, nothing. Quick, he's on to you! Think of an alibi, fast! I, uh, have a terrible case of Cackle Fever.
Guard Captain Reginald (Clearly Frightened): Wh-! N-no don't stay here! Get out of here, now!
Halandar: Of course, sir. Note to self: Invest in some bottled Cackle Fever for next assassination.
Guard Captain Reginald: What?!?
Halandar: Nothing.

So. Playing a character. With no internal monologue. Hilarious quirk, or potentially party-ruining hijinks?

Paramour Pink
2009-01-09, 01:01 AM
I'd find it a hilarious handicap, honestly. Both as a player on your team, or as the actual person with it. Either way, it sounds nifty, but I wouldn't be surprised if it annoyed the more serious-minded players, or wasn't acceptable for a game with an overall dark atmosphere.

Arros Winhadren
2009-01-09, 01:28 AM
Been reading some Malazan book of the Fallen recently? No, I'm sure you came up with the idea yourself, and it's a rather good one. Just get lots of Bluff and Glibness and you'll be good.

Rad
2009-01-09, 02:09 AM
I can see that as being funny for a session or two, but it'll wear off shortly after that. If you're one of the guys that enjoys having a new character every other session.
Also, as pointed, make sure you're not spoiling other players' fun.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-09, 02:19 AM
I'd love it, but I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

My latest character blew three feats on the ability to fly... but not the ability to land, so if I use this power I will likely fly twice my run speed straight up, blow all my daily powers on whatever flying opponent I'm facing, and plummet two hundred feet to the rocks below. (I'll survive! Really!)

Prometheus
2009-01-09, 02:20 AM
The thing is, you think OOC thoughts but give IC speech. So to give IC thoughts as speech you need to either be really into the game or just arbitrarily decide what valuable information to spill. The later, less the other PCs understand, will look like you are trying to ruin the game for no reason. You have to make sure they understand, fill your conversation with unimportant thoughts, and probably do the noble move a remove yourself from tense negotiations.

Ask if you can get an ability for your handicap - say the ability to Detect Surface Thoughts of others, just for erm... just for giggles.

kamikasei
2009-01-09, 03:27 AM
A mildly amusing gimmick that would get real old real fast even just in a joke game.

Pronounceable
2009-01-09, 03:58 AM
I estimate this'll last about 3 minutes before it kills the game.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-09, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it annoyed the more serious-minded players, or wasn't acceptable for a game with an overall dark atmosphere.

Yeah, that. It depends heavily on the campaign.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-09, 11:15 AM
in gurps you can take the honesty as a disadvantage - if you fail the dice roll you are compelled to tell the truth

good times

Epinephrine
2009-01-09, 12:22 PM
Wears off fast.

We have an elderly character in a party, he's a fairly good monk-style combatant, but he's going a little odd with age. At first his habit of occaisionally knocking on dungeon doors, or calling out "Speak up, I can't hear you," when we hear the sound of something passing nearby was funny, but it has ceased to be with it nearly costing us our lives a few times.

Realistically? My dwarf views him as a liability and wants him gone. The funny character trait needs to be curbed so it doesn't piss off the players, or the characters in game. Why would anyone voluntarily hang out with someone who increases the chance of getting killed?

niv78
2009-01-09, 01:03 PM
We had someone do something very similar to this before. It does get quite old, but instead of all the time he started only doing it during certain situations. That made it a bit more interesting.

Tacoma
2009-01-09, 01:09 PM
How about a character that maxed social skills and CHA, who said all the wrong things but in a charming and joking way, with a bit of a wink and such, so everyone assumes he's not really out to assassinate the king! Great for players who joke at the table, and the DM gets tired of it and starts in with "is that really what you're saying?"

You can be like "yeah that's what I said. I said I'm going to assassinate the king. I'll make a Bluff check. Oops, 45. Looks like it doesn't matter!"

Prometheus
2009-01-09, 01:24 PM
I'm telling you, it sounds like munchkinery, but if you tied it to an ability that you gained for it you would get not only a legitimate reason for playing out your handicap, but also an ability that people will remind people of the benefit of choosing your particular handicap.