PDA

View Full Version : Eastern (Ugh, anime-esque) Conversion Ruleset - Needs copious peer review

Phantom.exe
2009-01-09, 03:45 AM
Hiya. I've been on the forum for a while, and participated in a few games.

But now... ugh. It has been a very long time since I've actively not wanted to play in a game. This is one of those times.

A friend of mine IRL is running a game this semester, and I got around to promising him my attentions for two sessions of play. As such, he decided to go ahead and run wild.

He has created a ruleset variant with a number of... interesting features.

Among them are the 'elimination' of classes. Instead, players select their class features. Much like the "generic" classes presented in Unearthed Arcana, but with much less... structure.

A new key ability, called Stamina, is used. It is essentially a mana pool. Using spells or... other things allows you to drain your stamina. At low Stamina, players seem... weaker, or something?

Somehow, he wants 'freeform magic', which means that players come up with all spells on the fly. Almost all of the rules presented allow for combat-related spells only. Maybe. I didn't pay much attention to it. Apparently, by spending increased amounts of stamina, players can drastically alter spell effects; Shape, Range, Area of Effect, the list goes on.

For some reason, he's included the Common Sense skill, which forces players to metagame while stuck.
Domain, which seems to somehow affect spellcasters' ability to make... casting checks,
Knowledge (Elementals), which seems to be a new skill that spellcasters need. Somehow, his world is heavily influenced by the powers of the classical elements, and as such, this is required for... too many things.

I don't want to even talk about his setting.

Regardless, I would really like some peer review. It needs balance... and a lot of it. If anyone asks... *sigh* I can post the class features selectable as well.

Please, I'm begging you... give me something!

Here we go... the "Rules". Are you ready?

Ex-You level when I tell you to, which will normally be at the end of an arc or assignment. Yes I have the campaign divided up into arc like Anime's are. You didn't think I'd waste the knowledge I have gathered from watching over 178 complete Anime series did you?

Classes-Classes will not be done like you know them in D&D. Every time you level you gain X many CF,class feature, points that you use to upgrade/add onto your class features. You are limited by two things with this: Level and amount of points you have. Points DO rollover, so saving up for bigger better abilities may be in your best interest. Now at lv 1 you can buy Base Class and lv 0 CF's as a one time thing. Eventually, later on, I will reopen the Base Class's and allow you the option of multi-classing. At lv 2 you can buy lv 1 CF's. At lv 3 you can buy lv 1 or lv 2 CF's. The CF pattern continues from then on. Everyone starts at lv 1, therefore you have your Base Class CF already chosen. Let me state again that these are only available at certain times throughout the game. You will have access to specialized CF's based upon what your Base Class is. You will never loose CF's by taking a particular Base Class. As I've said above when you take a Base Class your stuck with it for a good 5-7 levels so think about it. I highly encourage you respond with some suggestions of what you'd like your characters Base Class to be but for the lazy people out there will provide a list. Feats will be CF's, I'm not going to list them all. If you want a feat we can discuss price. Everything else is the same
Notes: If you don't pick a race-your human.
If you don't pick a hit dice-you have 2HP permanently while if you pick a 1d2 hit dice you roll 1d2 to gain HP at level.

The Change-People have been known to randomly change from their default race, human, into another race. This can happen over the course of a night or over a lifetime. This is known as “The Change”. Why does this happen? People speculate wide and far on that reason and you'll need Knowledge Planes to begin to find the answer :P. When I say human or humanity in the lines below humanoid(every other playable race) is inferred.

Stamina(Sta)-Stamina is the main balancer in this game. Active CF's, like casting magic or rage, cost Stamina to do. Every player starts out with a base daily stamina of 10 that increases at 1/3 your hp(If you gain 6hp at one level you gain 2 stamina.) You may do actions that bring you beyond 0 stamina however, after the action is done, the negative stamina will hurt your hp at a rate of -1 Sta=-3 HP. At 0 stamina your movement speed is halved and you are limited to either moving or attacking(Not both) during your turn in combat. You can ignore this for one turn at a cost of -1 Sta.. You may take CF, eventually, to increase your stamina faster.

Languages-The main language of the world is common as in other games. Other races, since they all stem from basic humans, only know common as a language as well. Elementals are where other languages come in. Each Domain has their own language. You can interpret their language and attempt to speak it, through a Communicate Check,only if you have that Domain at a minor level or higher. (Knowledge Elementals Check)

Magic-Magic is freeform in this game. What this means is that in the past you go “I wanna cast magic missile.” and roll to do its effects, not in this game. Magic is done through one of the 4 Primary Domains, 4 Secondary Domains, 1 Final Domain and X Fused Domains, that I will list now.
• Primary Domains(What you'll have access to in the beginning.)
• Earth(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Water(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Wind(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Fire(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Secondary domains (Refined)
• Metal(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Ice(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Sonic(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Plasma(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Final
• Aether(Knowledge Elementals Check, roll high.)
• Fused Domains-(There are a lot total. This is only a few. Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Flesh=(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Wood= (Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Sand=(Knowledge Elementals Check)

In order to begin “Casting” a spell you need to have a CF in one of these. Unless you are born with it, in order to get a secondary elemental you need to have the previous mastered. (To use ice you need to of mastered water.)
• Domain- When you take a CF in one of these Domains you are giving four things: an Elemental Alignment(EA), Domain(Skill), Communicate, and the ability to cast a spell.
• Limited/Minor/Regular/Greater/Mastery...?-Basically these are your Domain levels.
• Limited means you can only do one thing from that Domain...it's not very free form.
• Minor means you can do everything from that Domain if you have the help of an actual elemental, preferably binded to a weapon of some sort,of the Domain.
• Note: It has to be a fairly powerful elemental of that Domain...meaning the item will be expensive.
• Regular means you can do everything in minor without the aid of anyone. Your the man now dog.
• Greater means you can do everything from regular at ½ stamina cost.
• Mastery means you can do anything from that Domain with 1/4th-0 stamina cost.
• You can begin working on it's refined form now.
• -You can only go up in levels for now. Going up replaces the lesser state with the greater.
• Elemental Alignment- your stronger against your element but weaker against it's opposite, no effect on mid two. Random intermediate effects. Improves as you increase Domain.
• Natural Alignment- You were born with a primary elemental alignment. About as common as a genius is. A few times every hundred years. The following effects.
• Earth-Your durable. It takes a lot to harm you and you heal quickly.
• Fire-Your strong. Grugg smash gud.
• Water-Your smart, about the intellect of a genius.
• Wind-Your wise, you can apply what you see as common sense to any situation to find whats the next best action.
• Natural Refined Alignment- You were born with a Secondary/Refined alignment. Once every 2000 years or so.
• You have access to that element to master even if you haven't mastered it's primary form.
• Natural Fused-Domain- You were born with a Fused Domain alignment. Once every 1000 years or so.
• Natural Aether-Has never happened but is statistically possible to happen. This Person would be born with untold amounts of power and probably die from not being able to control it.
• Communicate-You can attempt to communicate with your Domain's elementals in their language. (1d20+Domain(Skill))
• Domain(Skill)-Basically you now have another skill that you can invest skill points into, that helps with casting spells of that element only. Base stat mod is different for each domain.
• Earth=Con
• Fire=Str
• Water=Int
• Wind=Wis
Casting a spell will begin with you, on your turn, saying something to the effect, “I wanna cast a spell.”
“What do you want it to do?” This is me learning what your attempting to do, you haven't attempted anything yet.
“I'd like (target) to be hit by fire.” You can describe it however you want but thats the gist of the spell and the most common usage of it, most likely. You also could say “I want a wall of fire to surround (target).” This would have not only have fire damage as the first but it would prevent movement slightly while active. It also would cost more stamina. There are a lot of factors on spells that can be modified as you cast it, these factors are what cost the stamina. These factors are:
• Size-(If you want to hide a spell the smaller this is the easier it is to hide it. Why would you ever want a big size for the spell? Area of Effect. 0Sta-Ray sized. 1Sta-5ft area of effect. 4Sta-25ft area of effect. Modifying the spell to miss teammates also takes stamina.)
• Targets- -1Sta=1 Target -3Sta= 2 Targets -6Sta=3 Targets
• Damage- (-1Sta 1d4)(-2Sta 1d6)(-4Sta 2d4)(-8Sta 2d10)
• Distance(only applies if your trying something epic. I will tell you when it's activated, otherwise it's not a factor or 0)
• Domain(Realistically it isn't a factor, yet, or it's 0. This is if your trying to cast a fire spell through a water domain, it's doable but a bitch to complete. Not recommended to try as you will not be told the factor this multiplies the total stamina cost until after you try but you will be told if your activating it.)Wait, what? Aren’t we supposed to know all the rules?
• Duration- (0sta-instantaneous.)(1sta-2turns)(2sta-3turns)(The damage will decrease over time. So if you did 1d6 damage the first blast it would only do 1d4 for the second turn, damage doesn't go below that. Requires a successful concentration check on your turn to maintain.)
• Complexity-(Another Balancer for casters. Only a factor if you heavily modify a spell, like in higher levels. I will tell when it's activated, otherwise it's zero. If complexity ever becomes a factor you must make a concentration check on your turn. The concentration check for duration combines into this one.)
Saying something to the extent of “Taking 1 on all” means that your only spending 1 stamina on each area that isn't normally 0. Saying “Spending 1 stamina.” Means your only spending 1 stamina on the spell total and the spell would probably do 1dmg. Depending upon what you want the spell to do the Stamina cost is modified. I will let you know the total final stamina cost, unless the Domain is activated. You pay the stamina then but negative effects from going into negative stamina don't happen until after the spell is finished.
Now you roll and if you pass a DC Check, 1d20 + Domain(Skill), the spell is cast. You will not know the DC but the more complicated the spell the higher the DC. If you fail you lose the stamina and the spell is not cast. Before you roll the DC I will ask you if your trying to hide your casting of the spell. If you hide the spell the DC will increase( depending upon how many turns combat is thus far, targets, size, distance) if you succeed though it it auto-hits, targets don't get a saving throw. If you don't the target(s) may roll to evade/resist. You cannot hide a will save spell. It's a will save if it effects the mind. It's a fort save if it effects the stats of the target. Reflex save is basically everything else.
• Critical Failures-
• Nat 1-lose twice as much stamina, spell is not cast.
• Nat1+<10=spell explodes in your face dealing it's damage to you.
• Resistances apply.
• Nat1+Nat20=Spell cast normally
• Na1t+Nat1=spell explodes dealing double damage or same damage with knockout.
• Resistances apply.
• Nat1+Nat+Nat20=Nat1's effect
• Nat1+Nat1+Nat1=x4 damage, knockout.
• Critical Success's-
• Nat 20-spell is cast and stamina is not lost.
• Nat20+>10=auto-hit
• Nat20+Nat1=Spell cast normally
• Nat20+Nat20=auto-hit and (Double damage or fully filled Stamina)
• Nat20+Nat20+Nat1=Nat20's effect
• Nat20+Nat20+Nat20=Instant kill+Fully filled Stamina.
• Knockout-You unconscious for 1d4 turns.
Sealing-You have the option of sealing your Domain when you master it and move onto another. This choice must be made when you master it. This means you cannot access that mastered Domain until the seal is broken. It will give you various (worth it) bonus effects...if you can live and function at like that. (Knowledge History/Elementals Check)

Resistances- For every domain there is a resistance.
• Negative resistance- you take that much more damage from that Domain.
• With non-damage related offense spells(confuse, control, calm, etc.) If the target has negative resistance the spell has that much more DC for the target.
• Positive resistance- you deduct that much damage from that Domain.
• With non-damage related offense spells(confuse, control, calm, etc.) If the target has positive resistance the spell has that much less DC for the target.
• Immunity-(Knowledge Elementals Check)
• Absorption-(Knowledge Elementals Check)

Eyes-Brief minor final magical note. Eyes are important, everyone knows this. If you are an mage of any kind or an elemental your eyes reflect your alignment. If you've master your alignment your eyes reflect this as well. The closer you are to mastering the element the more your eye reflects it's mastered state. You can't hide this fact though you can hide other effects being a human mage will have on you down the rode. Eye colors and meanings:
• Earth-Green|Mastered-Eyes look mossy.
• Metal-Black|Mastered-Eyes look metallic.
• Water-Blue|Mastered-Eyes appear to have waves going back and forth inside of them.
• Ice-White|Mastered-Eyes appear frozen.
• Fire-Red|Mastered-Eyes seam on fire(within eyelids). +5Ft darkvision.
• Plasma-Orange|Mastered-Eyes seam on fire(beyond eyelids). +10ft darkvision.
• Wind-Gray|Mastered-Eyes appear to have a vortex around the pupil.
• Sonic-Deep Purple|Mastered-Eyes appear chaotic with a mesh of gray and deep purple.
• Aether- ?(Knowledge Elemental Check)

Training-once per every 10 years of your characters life you may decrease aptitude from one stat to another. This may be done only physical to physical or mental to mental. Dex/Str/Con are interchangeable like this or Wis/Int/Cha are.
• If you wish to do this wait until we meet for the first time and tell me there.

Skills-Everyone has every base skill that they can put skill points into. Skills are done normally other then that: (Int+4)x4= skill points for first level. Every level after=(Int+4)

Knowledges- Everyone will have at least one Knowledge skill based upon where they chose to start. Knowledge Checks, as magic is, are not definite in this game. Preferably a Knowledge Check will start with a question: “Where am I?” for instance. From that question you need to rationalize, to me, which knowledge your using and why. This is where the gray areas of knowledges come in and I encourage you to exploit them. “Knowledge Elementals.” You continue.
“Why?”
“I talk to the minor wind sprites around me for information onto where we are.”
Depending upon how well or badly you rationalize the Knowledge Check the DC will be affected. The above rationalization is bad. “Knowledge Geography...it's geography.” Is a good rationalization.
Note: You can only roll knowledges checks for the knowledges you have.(Basically there is an easy and a hard way to learn something via a Knowledge Check. You can only do the easy way if you have that knowledge.)
Types of knowledges:
• Elementals-There is no arcana here. Instead there is elementals, which is even more useful then arcana. Elementals are everywhere and can be used for practically any Knowledge Check, except planes, with minor DC bonus.
• Geography-Want to know anything about towns/cities/continents?
• History-What happened in the past?
• Planes-All I can say, unless you take it, is that it will be useful.
• If you want to make a Knowledge Check in game follow this formula
• (What your checking.)(What knowledge.)(The rational why you can use that .)(The result.)
• I've prompted various Knowledge Checks that can or cannot be made for more information. It is always in your best interest to attempt a Knowledge Check.
• Whenever I prompt a Knowledge Check you may only use the knowledge(s) and only need to give me the result.
• Bardic Knowledge may be used when applicable.
• If I give multiple knowledges they may not be the same DC to find out the same information.

Plot Actions- Eventually your party will, through reasons explained in game, be able to take a different type of action that I call a plot action. Normally your actions are restricted by the realm of common sense; however, thanks to this feature those boundaries need not apply. Whenever it's your turn,normally, you may take one plot action. The dialogue would be something like this:
“I want to take a plot action.”
“What do you want to do?”
“-insert idea that player normally wouldn't be able to do(breath fire, grow wings, ect, anything means anything, you could want to turn into ice cream for all I care.)”
After you give your idea I will either tell you “No” or “Roll 1d20.” If I tell you to roll the action will happen one way or another. Rolling high means it will happen better then you expected rolling low means it happens but there are unforeseen consequences. Hint: One of the circumstances I might allow plot actions when it's not your turn is when you are about to die. Always ask before dieing. (I want to make a note here: If you want to keep playing and play well, even if you die, you won't stay dead...unless you want to.)

Shinobi_Guyver
2009-01-09, 09:03 AM
Uh.... is that exactly as he has it written?

I can understand some of the ideas he's trying to make work, but the way everything is worded, I got more of a headache.

The Common Sense/Plot Action would be fine if everyone was a meta/powergamer, but many players try to avoid doing that (from what I've seen), so it seems completely pointless.

The "Change" is something else I don't get. From a narrative standpoint, it can provide a huge "what the..." yet from a game standpoint, it could just be another (and possibly larger) headache.

GM: "While you were sleeping, you suddenly find yourself transformed into an Orc."
Player: "What?!? So what does that mean?"
*GM lists changes needed to be made to Player's character*
Player: -_-

Stamina seems like another useless stat to thrown on the players on top of the Basic Six (Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma). If he wants to show how using magic or features affects a character, (for me) it would make more sense to have two "stamina" pools, one for physical effects (like features) and one for magic, or just one large mana pool. (Like a video game, this would result in 3 bars, HP (Health Points), MP (Magic/Mana Points), and SP (Skill Points).

The fact that there are no racial languages seems to subtract from the depth of the world, unless each race is favored by a particular element, and therefore gain the appropriate elemental language automatically.

A freeform magic system would be interesting, but it's already been done. Perhaps you should show your friend this thread over at EN World (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/246387-freeform-magic-power-systems.html). There are suggestions of what to look at if wanting to use freeform magic, as well as opinions as which is better.

I think, for freeform magic, a skill-like system would best be used. The player tells the GM what he'd like to do with the spell, GM sets a DC, Player rolls 1d20+skill mod. Final roll determines how well it works and you consult a table for damage or whatever. (This may or may not be how other games do it in the link I gave above.)

As for the Class Features bit, the way it is limited (you have access to a CF category equal to your character level -1) seems decent enough, plus you have to acquire/earn points to spend on a desired feature. As for the way you choose your CF, it may be better to do them like skill/talent trees. Sadly, doing so will make it seem more like the skill/talent progression trees in video games, more specifically, WoW. I didn't see a way to get the CF points listed, is it something you forgot to mention or has he not thought of it yet?

I could continue, but it seems like I've already given you plenty to read. If you could provide (either through PM or post) a text file of everything your friend has written, I give more feedback/suggestions/improvements/etc.

Knaight
2009-01-09, 09:06 AM
First, you probably haven't seen enough anime to be making the sweeping judgment. This only resembles one kind, which is sadly the most popular. Secondly, D&D is the wrong system for this. Free form magic can work, but there are much better systems, door to shadow, or skill based verb-noun magic would work much, much better, as well as being better for non-combat related skills. I would advise taking a look at GURPS, Fudge, Ars Magica, the Door to Shadow Magic System for Fudge, the Four by Five magic system for Fudge, and probably just looking at some other verb-noun systems.

Coming up with spells on the fly, in a good system for it, can work very well, as can classless systems, don't be so dismissive of the concepts just yet.

Satyr
2009-01-09, 09:13 AM
Here, download Witchcraft (http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/WitchcraftCorebook.zip). It's free, so that is no problem. Give it to your DM. Tell him, this is very close to whatever he wants with no classes and a freeform, creative magic system. It has the great advantage (besides being free), that it works and can easily be adapted to many different systems and settings; it uses the same set of rules like All Flesh Must Be Eaten, which is pretty much the second best universal system around (with many, many zombies).

PinkysBrain
2009-01-09, 09:50 AM
I've never really played a system with a spell system almost entirely based on on the fly DC/Costs ... can someone tell me how that works out in the long run?

Personally I'd tend to remember (or even write down) some of the costs ... and if my DM suddenly made something a lot more costly I'd resent him for it.

Satyr
2009-01-09, 10:04 AM
I've never really played a system with a spell system almost entirely based on on the fly DC/Costs ... can someone tell me how that works out in the long run?

You have different areas/disciplines/magical skills covering different magical arts. For example "Fire magic". You have normally a small list of standardised modifers and costs for different effects which acts as an orientation (e.g. 'light a candle is extremely easy (DC -10) and a negliable effect (no cost); light a mammoth is very difficult (DC +10) and a powerful effect (high costs)"). You determine different categories of difficulties and the sheer power and pretty much uses them all the time. The spellcaster describes, what he wants to do, the Gamemaster determines the difficulty and / or the costs, then you make your roll. If the roll succeeds, the wished effect appears (the candle/mammoth burns), and you pay for the costs. If ou fail, sometimes something bad happens.

Personally I'd tend to remember (or even write down) some of the costs ... and if my DM suddenly made something a lot more costly I'd resent him for it.

The same task in different situations may not always be equally effective or easy. For example, you could have Elemental Magic which works better in aligned areas - Fire magic is easier on volcanoes or when the sun shines, Water magic works best on the coast or when it rains, and you could have additional penalties if you try some kind of Magic in a badly suited area. A flexible system allows to bring up many of those circumstancial influences or let the player add aditional factors for the right kinds of magic ("I remove my boots and stand with the bare feet on the solid rock to establish direct contact before I summon the Earth Powers to through a giant ball of mud at my enemies").

Phantom.exe
2009-01-09, 12:43 PM
This. Is. Exactly. What. He. Wrote.

>.>

-Maybe you're right... I'm not giving this a chance. I really should. I think it's more him than the system. I'll try my best to give it my all and at least see it through...

Thanks a lot. Okay, maybe I should change the title... this campaign only resembles bad shonen.

Let's see... I've had very minimal contact with him since I first posted this - I'll be seeing him soon, and please - keep the advice coming.

About "The Change" and the "Plot Action" crap... simply put, this is his style. I DM a 3.5 Eberron game, and he played as a Thri-Kreen Wilder. It was... yeah. Now, he plays as some kooky Monte Cook class, the "Witch" as a Drow. Mrrp.
Both are items he occasional says or jokingly uses. I tolerate that, but... they really are not appropriate mechanics unless the entire party is, as you said, big metagamers.

I've tried to show GURPS to him, and I'll do so with Witchraft and M&M. He doesn't like the HERO system, and overall seems a bit unwilling to do this in a non-d20 system... mostly because he doesn't know any others, and is unwilling to learn.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-09, 02:33 PM
The same task in different situations may not always be equally effective or easy. For example, you could have Elemental Magic which works better in aligned areas - Fire magic is easier on volcanoes or when the sun shines, Water magic works best on the coast or when it rains, and you could have additional penalties if you try some kind of Magic in a badly suited area. A flexible system allows to bring up many of those circumstancial influences or let the player add aditional factors for the right kinds of magic ("I remove my boots and stand with the bare feet on the solid rock to establish direct contact before I summon the Earth Powers to through a giant ball of mud at my enemies").
And sometimes that wall spell in a tunnel will end the encounter in a way you as a DM don't like so you just put a higher DC on it than you put it on it before (a DC which the DM who has to juggle far more is less likely to remember than the player). Environmental and roleplaying flair modifiers are nice and all, but without some written down guidelines to protect the DM against himself, he is only human like the rest of us, he will railroad his players more and worse ... he runs the risk of making it blatantly obvious to the PCs AFAICS.

Phantom.exe
2009-01-09, 02:44 PM
This is also a very good point. As Tycho says, the DM screen only helps the illusion that the Dungeons & Dragons universe is ordered, and has consistent rules.

And sometimes is used for determining when you get AoOs.

AFAICS? What does that mean?

PinkysBrain
2009-01-09, 02:48 PM
As Far As I Can See.

Erk
2009-01-09, 06:01 PM
It sounds like your friend wants to turn D&D into BESM. BESM is a great game, tell him to check it out. It would probably do the freestyle game he wants far, far better and with less effort.

Phantom.exe
2009-01-10, 01:14 AM
Ingenious! BESM! Why did I not think of that before!

Satyr
2009-01-10, 05:02 AM
And sometimes that wall spell in a tunnel will end the encounter in a way you as a DM don't like so you just put a higher DC on it than you put it on it before (a DC which the DM who has to juggle far more is less likely to remember than the player). Environmental and roleplaying flair modifiers are nice and all, but without some written down guidelines to protect the DM against himself, he is only human like the rest of us, he will railroad his players more and worse ... he runs the risk of making it blatantly obvious to the PCs AFAICS.

You seem to be very conspicious towards your GM; I don't know if this is sad or your specific GM has not earned your trust (or just doesn't deserve it), but I think that it is crucial for any RPG that there is a mutual trust between the players and between the players and the GM - a less prescripted system like the one I described needs this trust only more so.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-10, 12:06 PM
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

It's not an issue of trust, I trust him to do his best.

TengYt
2009-01-10, 12:11 PM
Yeah, check out BESM, especially the d20 version if your DM insists.

Rayzin
2009-01-10, 12:29 PM
Actually i think the Magic is ok, it could be tweaked to work. The Plot action sounds like a really big hassle.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-01-10, 12:36 PM
If your DM insists on d20, show him Mutants & Masterminds. If your DM insists on emulating bad shonen, show him BESM.

BESM d20, like his custom system, is pretty much the worst of both worlds.

TengYt
2009-01-10, 12:41 PM
Oh! Forgot M&M. Yeah, definately show him that.
To me, it seems like your DM WANTS to run a freeform game, yet for some reason is doing it with a very bad custom d20 system :smallconfused:

Phantom.exe
2009-01-10, 12:57 PM
The more I think about it, the more I agree. I was actually talking about this with a friend yesterday night... Part of the problems is something of a tenuous relationship with a DM.

While not overtly dislikeable, he has a sort of... aura about him, one that makes me not enjoy playing games. A friendly game of Magic - no matter what deck he uses - makes it feel like he's trash-talking me. Settlers of Catan? I walk away in a terrible mood.

And he's never seen Star Wars.

I guess all of this is evidence that my relationship with him is a bit of a problem. Him and his atrocious grammar....

Ugh, there I go again.

One of my issues is more that I do not enjoy playing some games with him, and with such a kooky, variable system, I have great (though possibly unfounded) fears.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-01-11, 01:04 AM
Well he sounds annoying for the reason that fanboys are annoying.

He loves anime, but doesn't seem quite capable of separating the worthwhile content from the form. Specifically, he sounds like the stereotypical weeaboo.

I pretty much facepalm when he describes a plot thread as an "arc" and then acts like this is unique to anime. D&D has a word for this: "campaign." Then he says he'll apply "knowledge" he's seen from watching too much anime.

And out of "178 complete series" he chooses to emulate bad Shounen? There's plenty of excellent eastern-themed fantasy and he chooses to write fanfiction of the worst, most stereotypical example of it?

He is a not a man of discerning taste, but that won't stop him from acting like he has something to say.

Most of anime isn't really distinguishable from fantasy or soft sci-fi anyway, so what exactly is the meaningful difference between an "anime" setting and a homebrew fantasy setting anyway?

lisiecki
2009-01-11, 02:28 AM
huh

I don't see rules for saving earth from alien invaders with the power of song.

Every time i open up a thread that mentions anime, and never, ever rules about saving earth with the power of song, while your friends die horrible deaths around you.