PDA

View Full Version : The Martial Adept [3.5e NPC Class] (PEACH)

Aergoth
2009-01-09, 08:02 AM
The Tome of Battle was awesome. *ducks tomato(es)* The only problem I found was that you couldn't shape up a mook with it, without giving him/her PC levels or bonus feats. So... BEHOLD!

The Martial Adept [NPC]

Hit Die: d8
Skill points at first level Int+2x4
Skill points at other levels Int+2
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Martial Knowledge (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str)
Martial Adept
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Martial Prowess

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Bonus Maneuver

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Bonus Stance

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Maneuver

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Martial Prowess

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Bonus Maneuver

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Bonus Stance,

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Bonus Maneuver

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Martial Prowess

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Bonus Stance, Bonus Maneuver

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Bonus Maneuver

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Martial Prowess

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Bonus Stance

[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Martial Adept is proficient with light and medium armor, as well as light shield. They are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice.

Maneuvers Readied/Known: A Martial Adept only gains styles from the martial prowess class feature. Their Maneuvers readied and maneuvers known can be found in the tables below.

Martial Prowess (Ex): Choose a martial style from the following list:

Shadow Hand
Setting Sun
Desert Wind
Iron Heart

You gain proficiency with the weapons, maneuvers and stances of this style You gain the primary skill of this style as a class skill. You gain a second style at the fourth level.

Bonus Maneuver (Ex): Choose a maneuver for which you meet the prerequisites. You may now add this maneuver to your maneuvers readied and use it.

Bonus Stance (Ex): Choose a stance for which you meet the prerequisites. You may now use this stance.

FMArthur
2009-01-09, 11:34 AM
Damn, I was expecting a female leader class.

Aergoth
2009-01-09, 12:40 PM
It's about half finished now.
Bad news: Tables are evil. One person can only stare at the words CENTER and /CENTER for so long before you forget which table you're supposed to be looking at to put in the info from your notes. I figure I'll just rehash the shiny table from what I've got. For now, maneuvers known consists of the table at the bottom with the stances from the unnamed column at the right of the first table.

RTGoodman
2009-01-10, 02:47 AM
I like the idea, but here's a few suggestions. First, you need to extend your table to be 20 levels long. Even NPC Base Classes get a full 20-level write-up, even though table code can be a hassle. Which is why, of course, I bring you this - the d20 Class Table Generator (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/), which will do it all for you (as long as you make sure to set the "Formatting Menu" to GITP). Have fun! If you use that, you can ignore the next couple of things, but I thought I'd point them out anyway.

Next, your BAB and Base Saves are all screwed up. BAB should be one of the three standard ones (1:1, 3:4, or 1:2). I think you're going for 3:4, which should be:

{table=head]Level | BAB
1 | +0
2 | +1
3 | +2
4 | +3
5 | +3
6 | +4
7 | +5
8 | +6
[/table]

...and so on. For Base Saves, your Good save (Reflex) is fine, but your Poor saves should start at +0 and increase by +1 at 3rd, 6th, 9th, and so on. (+0, +0, +1, +1, +1, +2...).

Regarding your tables, you might just want to see how it looks without
formatting - it should make things a LOT easier on you, and probably won't look too bad.

Finally, you need to add a Maneuvers/Stances Known and Maneuvers Readied text section somewhere telling what disciplines the Martial Adept has access to (is it just the one from their Martial Prowess feature, all four named in that class feature, all disciplines, or something else entirely?) and such.

Otherwise, this looks good!

Aergoth
2009-01-10, 12:59 PM
The only ever gain access to two martial styles (from the list.) Enemies with the class are supposed to be mooks-with-skill. So maybe you want to throw up a minor villain or a minion with martial adept levels, but the PC levels make it over-done, this solves that. Good guys... this class is a little lack-luster for them. Maybe apprentices, that introduce PCs to the material in the ToB. Regardless: THANKS FOR THE TABLE GENERATOR! :smallbiggrin: You, sir are my hero. I'd originally written up the build on a small 3x5 notepad , so it got a little difficult to put in 20 levels. Especially when the pencil started to dull.

Draz74
2009-01-10, 01:18 PM
Martial Prowess (Ex): Choose a martial style from the following list:

Shadow Hand
Setting Sun
Desert Wind
Iron Heart

Gah ... all four of those are "unique to a certain base PC class" disciplines. Generally not the kind of disciplines I'd expect to be available to NPCs. Oh, and two of them are even the two "supernatural" disciplines. That's a very strange choice indeed ...

I would have made the list:

Iron Heart
Stone Dragon
Diamond Mind
maybe Setting Sun

Aergoth
2009-01-10, 07:29 PM
It was originally brewed for an NPC that used Shadow Hand. I didn't want to mess with Stone Dragon and the Tiger Style, definetly staying away from white raven for reasons of flavour (mooks don't lead. Ever.) It's no worse than a mook mage.

And that was the point of creating the class. I wanted to get them out of the domain of PC classes. I knew I forgot diamond mind!