PDA

View Full Version : Trends/Fads you wish you could bring back?

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-09, 10:00 AM
So, my highly-influential adolescent years started at the very end of the 1980's, beginning of the 90's. And in the inevitable march of pop-culture progress there are a lot of great innovations that we've discarded. I want some of 'em back.

Hammer Pants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_pants) - good gracious these were comfortable. Also known as parachute pants, these pants were made of synthetics, generally baggy to a comical degree, and were great to dance, or even practice martial arts in. You might even say they were 2 Legit.

Montages - Every good movie needs a good montage with a good montage song (http://www.omnimix.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=4948). End of story.

The Lingo - I want to be able to call something "Totally Rad" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njOptmvidgs) and not get looked at like I've got rabies. I'm trying to bring back words like Radical, Gnarly, Psyche and their associates, but it's a one-man battle right now.

Wearing High Tops For No Reason At All - C'mon, you know high tops are comfortable. They're big, they're kinda ugly, but you didn't even need to lace them up and they stayed on. Nowadays if you want to wear high tops you need to wear Vans or Chucks and pretend to be a skater or tragically ironic or something. Not good enough. I want to be able to walk down the street in my stylin' Avia basketball high tops (http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Win/avia880s.png) and get high fived by every dude I meet.

Neon Stuff (http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/blade-runner-umbrella-3.jpg) - Admit it, neon is way underutilized in our modern society. It just is.

Cute Girls With Mall Hair - Yeah. Mall hair is pretty hot. (http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/onlyonaol/images/pg/pg_01_060704.jpg)

SilverSheriff
2009-01-09, 11:01 AM
Comic books, none of this 'Manga' ****.

Artemician
2009-01-09, 11:06 AM

The current trend towards coherence in telling stories is something that I, for one, like very much.

I would like the Boyband era to come back. Silly saccharine fluff it may be, it sure is a damn sight better than most of the R&B of modern times.

snoopy13a
2009-01-09, 11:22 AM
Re High Tops: Why not go to Footlocker and buy a pair of Nikes or Reeboks?

I miss 80s hair music myself. The 90s created grunge which caused a backlash that resulted in Hootie and the Blowfish becoming the most popular band (for a year or two) as people were desperate for happier music :smalltongue: .

valadil
2009-01-09, 11:26 AM
Cargo pants. Those pockets were useful!

Cristo Meyers
2009-01-09, 11:33 AM
I miss 80s hair music myself. The 90s created grunge which caused a backlash that resulted in Hootie and the Blowfish becoming the most popular band (for a year or two) as people were desperate for happier music :smalltongue: .

I never stopped listening to Hair Metal. For the longest time Dee Snyder's House of Hair was my favourite radio show...:smallbiggrin:

Isolder74
2009-01-09, 12:05 PM

You can still buy those you know.

Hzurr
2009-01-09, 12:25 PM
Heh, I read snoopy13a's comment, and accidentally thought that he wanted to bring back 80s hair. Hairstyles in the 80s were horrible, horrible thing that should stay in the past.

As far as trends I want to bring back, I kindof miss the ska music that became popular in the mid-90s

Also, I miss the trend where cookie monster actually cookies.

Flame of Anor
2009-01-09, 12:59 PM
80's music! I wasn't born for it (missed the 80's by seven months) but it's still awesome.

and cookie monster is still cookie monster, despite unfounded rumors of vegetablization.

niv78
2009-01-09, 01:12 PM
I wish we could have good saturday morning cartoons again.

Cristo Meyers
2009-01-09, 01:15 PM
80's music! I wasn't born for it (missed the 80's by seven months) but it's still awesome.

and cookie monster is still cookie monster, despite unfounded rumors of vegetablization.

Yes, but he's been sanitized from the lovable blue monster that would destroy a plate of cookies in a B-movie like orgy of flying chocolate chips and cookie bits to the "Cookies are a sometimes food" mockery of his former self all in the name of "protecting the children."

I wish they'd bring back the old cartoons: Eek! the cat, Mother Goose and Grimm, and the others. Nowadays all you have are either "educational" cartoons or the strange US/Anime hybrid...

Jack Squat
2009-01-09, 01:22 PM

People stopped wearing those? I either wear cargo khakis or jeans, one of my best friends compromises and wears cargo jeans.

I've got a lot of things I wish would come back.
1. Good fitting carpenter/painters jeans. It's insanely hard to find a pair of jeans that isn't too baggy or too tight, much less ones that have pockets I can comfortably fit stuff in.. I'm currently wearing jeans I've had for about 6 years, and can't find another pair like them.... I can't really think of much to use that loop on the left hand side for (maybe a maglight if I'm walking around at night), but I always use that series of pockets on the right side for a pen or two, my phone, knife, and a small flashlight.

2. Hats, we need more people to wear hats.

3. Patience: it may be a virtue, but it seems most people didn't get the memo.

4. Actual Rock. It's still around, but it isn't mainstream. I listen to a lot of rock, from bands that started from about the late 60s to the mid-late 90s. After the millenium turned, it seems that someone decided that new bands didn't need things called "chord progression" or "talent". I know the majority of rock singers can't actually sing well, but at least their voice style fit with the music.

I realize that there are bands out there that continue to put out good work, but it seems that they're no longer mainstream.

valadil
2009-01-09, 02:22 PM
You can still buy those you know.

I know. I'm wearing them now. But around here I'm decidedly uncool for doing so.

Jack Squat
2009-01-09, 03:04 PM
I know. I'm wearing them now. But around here I'm decidedly uncool for doing so.

You're posting on the forum for a webcomic based on DnD...If cargo pants are the reason you're uncool, I'm moving up there :smalltongue:

Pyrian
2009-01-09, 03:53 PM
2. Hats, we need more people to wear hats.Working on it. :smallbiggrin:

Helanna
2009-01-09, 04:47 PM
I'm too young to have any fads to bring back. Although I used to have a pair of cargo pants that I loved, because I loved having all the pockets, but then my mom made me get rid of them because she thought they were 'uncool', I guess. She is FAR more interested in my reputation than I am. :smallannoyed:

rankrath
2009-01-09, 05:00 PM
pet rocks, boy bands, and mullets. *nod*

snoopy13a
2009-01-09, 05:16 PM
pet rocks

The guy who came up with the pet rock was a marketing genius. Let's put a worthless item in a box and sell it... and it worked!

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-09, 06:59 PM
People stopped wearing those? I either wear cargo khakis or jeans, one of my best friends compromises and wears cargo jeans.
I, too, wear them, if only because the pockets on regular pants are miniscule and the ones on cargoes are cavernous (in a good way). Problem is, they're impossible to find. Most stores I walk into have jeans on three walls and shirts on the other. I went to a store called General Pants Co. and asked where they kept their pants, "Not jeans, pants." I was told that they "don't really have any." Again, the store is called General Pants Co. General. Pants.

In Australia I can see 'cool' people wearing trilbies. I am not cool enough to myself, and it is even more impossible to find any other sort of hat.

Jack Squat
2009-01-09, 07:19 PM
I, too, wear them, if only because the pockets on regular pants are miniscule and the ones on cargoes are cavernous (in a good way). Problem is, they're impossible to find. Most stores I walk into have jeans on three walls and shirts on the other. I went to a store called General Pants Co. and asked where they kept their pants, "Not jeans, pants." I was told that they "don't really have any." Again, the store is called General Pants Co. General. Pants.

In Australia I can see 'cool' people wearing trilbies. I am not cool enough to myself, and it is even more impossible to find any other sort of hat.

That's odd about the pants...You could maybe look in a surplus store. I've got a pair of drab BDU pants that I wear...I know you can buy straight up khaki/brown ones, I just haven't.

As far as hats, look in a specialty hat shop. I picked up a fedora from one, and they had everything from stetsons to ivy caps to top hats. There's not one around here, so the stores may be regulated more to larger cities.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-09, 07:27 PM
That's odd about the pants...You could maybe look in a surplus store. I've got a pair of drab BDU pants that I wear...I know you can buy straight up khaki/brown ones, I just haven't.
The only ones I saw I liked the style of lately were in phlegm green.

As far as hats, look in a specialty hat shop. I picked up a fedora from one, and they had everything from stetsons to ivy caps to top hats. There's not one around here, so the stores may be regulated more to larger cities.

I live in the largest city in Australia and have never seen one. Ever.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-09, 07:32 PM
I live in the largest city in Australia and have never seen one. Ever.

When I was in Sydney about a year ago, there was a good hat store somewhere in the QVB that had men's hats of just about every description except baseball. Nose around there, you might find something.

Llama231
2009-01-09, 07:43 PM
People not hating pokemon.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-09, 11:03 PM
I miss vinyl...

SilentNight
2009-01-10, 12:03 AM
Loony tunes. Why did they have to go?

Icewalker
2009-01-10, 12:29 AM

I'll second this, just on principle.

The thing I really want to bring back is Shakespearean era vocabulary. Because it was so much cooler. 'a for he, using the word 'want' with the meaning of 'lack'...maybe even a bit of the thou and art and such.

All that good stuff.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-10, 12:34 AM
I miss vinyl...

i still collect vinyl. Its cheaper than CD, better sound quality, and far more pleasing to look at.

i wish for the return of decent political bands, and for people to not be so bloody apathetic about their world they live in

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-10, 12:37 AM
I miss the Marx Brothers. Comedy has fallen so far since those days.:smallfrown:

RS14
2009-01-10, 12:49 AM
Suebian Knots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suebian_knot): An awesome and practical way to keep long hair out of one's face.
A real second-person singular pronoun. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou)
Cryptography as a munition. (http://xkcd.com/504/)

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-10, 01:28 AM
Amen to cargo pants.

The only ones more or less in style right now are overpriced designer Armani Exchange and the like "phlegm" green ones that are for some reason tailored as if everyone who wears them is 6'5" and weighs all of 120 pounds.

And even then you need an ugly phlegm green army cap to go with them. That incidentally costs $50ish.

Alleine
2009-01-10, 01:35 AM

+100000000000000000
I miss Looney Toons. It hurt when they tried to make it 'edgy' and 'cool' and gave them superpowers. :smallfrown:

Ellisthion
2009-01-10, 01:55 AM
Still on cartoons, but not really a fad... the Carmen Sandiego TV series... really enjoyed that.

Actual fads? Um... people wearing trousers that aren't jeans? I suppose it's on the same line as the cargo pants.

Last_resort_33
2009-01-10, 03:50 AM

I've been saying this for years... unfortunately i have mostly the wrong shaped head. I do however have a brown leather auzzie style hat (probably got a proper name) which I wear on a regular basis. It is warm and waterproof with a wide brim, It keeps the sun out of my eyes in good weather and the rain off my face and hair in bad...

It also makes me look like a folk singer, but no-matter.

The thing I really want to bring back is Shakespearean era vocabulary. Because it was so much cooler. 'a for he, using the word 'want' with the meaning of 'lack'...maybe even a bit of the thou and art and such.
All that good stuff.

Bring Back Thou!

I agree wholeheartedly. Thee and Thou, aside from being an excellent singular second person pronoun, provide the english equivelant of the informal 'tu' in French to address an equal (or someone you believed was 'beneath' you), where as the now, more common 'you' is the 'vous' equivalent, which can be used as either a plural, or a formal version of the singular.

Quakers, for a long time refused to address anyone in court by you and used thee or thou instead, to show that although the members of the court may have a job to do, then no human being is worth more than another, and the formal form is not used when addressing an equal.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-10, 03:54 AM
...I didn't even know some of these were gone. I mean, I've bought and worn cargo pants up until, like, last year...

...stupid fads, being things I don't pay attention to and leaving me behind. v.v

turkishproverb
2009-01-10, 04:36 AM
...I didn't even know some of these were gone. I mean, I've bought and worn cargo pants up until, like, last year...

...stupid fads, being things I don't pay attention to and leaving me behind. v.v

Makes me glad I ignore as much in the way of trends as possible.

randman22222
2009-01-10, 04:55 AM
Hmm. Fedoras and overcoats.
Vests and funny caps.

My fashion sense comes out of a different era in time. :smalltongue:

Collin152
2009-01-10, 04:08 PM
People miss Boy Bands and Rock music, eh?
An idea strikes me!
We'll make our own band! Nevermind the physical distance that seperates us, the internet transcends all!

Or something more plausible. This is something I intend to work on, one garage band at a time.

I wasn't around for most of these fads, but I miss them too.
I do miss Looney Toons. Especially the political commentary embedded in it.

zeratul
2009-01-10, 05:57 PM
I totally second those who said a resurgence in the 80s hair metal popularity trend. Wish I'd been around back in the days when the larger radio stations were saturated with GOOD music :smalltongue:.

RS14
2009-01-10, 07:03 PM
Bring Back Thou!

I agree wholeheartedly. Thee and Thou, aside from being an excellent singular second person pronoun, provide the english equivelant of the informal 'tu' in French to address an equal (or someone you believed was 'beneath' you), where as the now, more common 'you' is the 'vous' equivalent, which can be used as either a plural, or a formal version of the singular.

Quakers, for a long time refused to address anyone in court by you and used thee or thou instead, to show that although the members of the court may have a job to do, then no human being is worth more than another, and the formal form is not used when addressing an equal.

Although I want the return of "thou," I want it strictly as a singular "you," and "you" strictly as a plural. This t-v nonsense is just the majestic plural run amok, and, in the words of Admiral Rickover, "three groups are permitted that usage: pregnant women, royalty, and schizophrenics. Which one are you?"

rankrath
2009-01-10, 07:29 PM
The guy who came up with the pet rock was a marketing genius. Let's put a worthless item in a box and sell it... and it worked!

exactly. Plus they're great at keeping a home safe.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-10, 08:53 PM
When are they going to bring back earth as an abyssal hellscape? I miss that...

Quorothorn
2009-01-10, 09:46 PM
People not hating pokemon.

Totally. Why the hate? I was disgusted with how low the IMDb scores for the first two Pokemon movies were.

I support this, though only on principle, as I haven't watched Saturday morning cartoons regularly in...hmm, about four years.

Although I want the return of "thou," I want it strictly as a singular "you," and "you" strictly as a plural. This t-v nonsense is just the majestic plural run amok, and, in the words of Admiral Rickover, "three groups are permitted that usage: pregnant women, royalty, and schizophrenics. Which one are you?"

Hmm...there's an idea.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-10, 10:04 PM
Take it from a speaker where tu/vous exists in the same sense as in French or Shakespearean English. You guys are better off without it. Otherwise you have to spend half an hour trying to figure out whether to call someone you or thee, and in the end they'll get pissed off at you anyway for not giving them enough respect and using thee.

Collin152
2009-01-10, 10:23 PM
Take it from a speaker where tu/vous exists in the same sense as in French or Shakespearean English. You guys are better off without it. Otherwise you have to spend half an hour trying to figure out whether to call someone you or thee, and in the end they'll get pissed off at you anyway for not giving them enough respect and using thee.

You mean thou, as thee is plural.
Language rant follows:

Japanese, which I'm learning, has it worse; not only are there various levels of honor for the 'you' pronouns, but all fo those are considered impersonal compared to using a persons name, which you must then determine a suffix for, and that presents its own problems; If you use one of the more honorable ones, you come off as distant to people who felt they were closer to you, but if you use too much of an intimate, personal title, they might feel slighted. And using no suffix at all is the most personal and informal way you can go about it, so some people expect you to forgoe them altogether.

So what do I say? Omae? Kimi? Anata? Name? Name-kun/chan? Name-san? Name-sempai? There are more, too. The only easy ones to know when to use are the ones that refer to occupation, like Sensei. Most of the time, anyways.

de-trick
2009-01-10, 10:53 PM
-cartoons
-pokemon when it was just 150
-cowboy hats, (can only wear drunk)
-real rock, from aerosmith to zz top
-not needing a collage diploma to get far in life
-wife beater, nice to wear on a hot day, kept you cool, but still kept you covered up

AgentPaper
2009-01-10, 11:05 PM

It's still all I wear. I refuse to wear anything else, because where else would I carry my book to read? :smallconfused: Fortunately I have enough pairs for now, but I fear that it's getting harder and harder to find cargo pants these days. Damn kids and their.....whatever the hell they call pants now!

Jack Squat
2009-01-10, 11:40 PM
It's still all I wear. I refuse to wear anything else, because where else would I carry my book to read? :smallconfused: Fortunately I have enough pairs for now, but I fear that it's getting harder and harder to find cargo pants these days. Damn kids and their.....whatever the hell they call pants now!

I still don't have a hard time finding cargo pants...just picked up 2 pairs from Old Navy because they had them on clearance after Christmas. Just picked up some cargo shorts at Kohls earlier this year as well.

Plus, once all that is gone, I'll just pick them up at one of the two local surplus stores...the only pants they have are cargos :smalltongue:

rubakhin
2009-01-11, 12:18 AM
What people think is punk rock should again align with what is actually punk rock.

I really don't understand what the hell the mainstream is trying to pass off as punk these days. It all sounds like electronic goth pop alternative rock or some other brand of ultimate stupidity. And they're all rich and have million-dollar music videos and autotuning and everyone's got on eye makeup and ties. Man. Real punk? It's not pretty. It's not pretty at all. Real punk is about a bunch of ugly, hairy, tone-deaf men playing three cords while going ape**** on stage, breaking everything, beating up as many audience members as they screw, and then pissing themselves and dying of a drug overdose. Or if they don't have the decency to die they can become really awesome old guys and read Rimbaud and do avant-garde poetry and ****, I don't know.

Or, I don't give, they can wear pinafores and prance around and speak like they attended freaking Eton for all I care, they just have to sound good. Like they're playing from the heart. I don't care about anything else. These overprocessed modern bands calling themselves punk make me retch.

play from your ****ing heeeeart

Of course this is just my opinion. I feel kinda stupid not liking anything that's been put out under the genre for the past, like, thirty years - except Celtic punk which I still like - but whatever, this thread is about what you'd wish for, and in an ideal world ...

Kjata
2009-01-11, 05:51 AM
Theres only one fad I wish would come back: hippies. I'm talking real hippies, the unwashed, pot smoking, guitar playing, dropping lsd in a field while singing about peace and love hippies. None of this "buy a prius and eat veggies" crap that modern age hippies do.

Plus, just try to tell me this doesn't look good. Go ahead, i dare you.
http://dogmouth.net/photos/california/bay-to-breakers/mid/hippy-with-colt-45-1.jpg

Ceska
2009-01-11, 07:02 AM
A real second-person singular pronoun. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou)
It inadvertently reminds me of southern German. Du (sounding almost the same), dei (sounding the same as) and di. They're also used the same way.

What I really miss is the Hammond Organ. Best instrument ever.

Quincunx
2009-01-11, 07:29 AM
"Thee" is not plural, especially if you're using a grammar where "thou" is no longer used. (Annoys the pips out of Renfaire people when thy language is regular, yet thee has made the point of not belonging.)

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 07:33 AM
1) The cartoon phase that Disney were in a few years ago.
2) Looney Tunes
3) The Safety Dance
4) Rock 'n' roll (The good old stuff not the new age stuff)
5) Trading Card Games being popular among the youth of Britain (At one point everyone played Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh)
If these come back then my life will be halfway to being complete.

SilverSheriff
2009-01-11, 10:24 AM
Plus, just try to tell me this doesn't look good. Go ahead, i dare you.
http://dogmouth.net/photos/california/bay-to-breakers/mid/hippy-with-colt-45-1.jpg

I can tell you what doesn't look good: that boil on his hand, wouldn't have happened if he bathed once in a while, Also: everything else.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-11, 10:58 AM
I'd also like to bring back settling disputes through duels rather than things like drive-bys and bombings. The world is better when irrational violence is precise rather than random.

Ishmael
2009-01-11, 01:42 PM
Regarding hippies: As a student in Berkeley, I am very, very happy that the movement died out a long time ago for the rest of the world. If you want hippies, they still are all over the place. In little, dirty, sketchy pockets.

DigoDragon
2009-01-12, 11:30 AM

I Third this one! I remember the 80s and 90s where my brother and I would make a schedule up for which cartoons to see each Saturday. It was serious work to cram in as many cool cartoons as you could. It made getting up early on Saturday Worth It! :smallbiggrin:

Nowadays there's like... nothing worth noting to me... but at least most of the stuff I liked is going to DVD so my kids can get the psuedo experience.

Vella_Malachite
2009-01-12, 08:43 PM
I add my name to the 'good Saturday Morning Cartoons' and Looney Tunes return list.

I want good British comedies back! You know the ones from the time when you could slag off other people without Media Watchdogs hushing you up in case the Phillipines decided to bomb you or something...Good stuff like The Young Ones, Blackadder, The Goodies, you know?

Also, really the only pants I wear are cargo pants. You know those ones with the zip-off bottoms so they become shorts in hot weather?

And as for hats, I usually wear one of the Aussie broad-brimmed ones. I bought it from a small town in the Northern Territory where people still wear them because they actually cover some burnable area. I want broad-brimmed hats back, not this cap or visor stuff that hardly cover anything.

Wow, all this and I'm only fifteen...

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-12, 10:33 PM
I'm adding button-up collarless shirts to the list. Man, I really used to love wearing those - the perfect blend of dressiness and being ready for a sword fight to break out.

Gray Jester
2009-01-12, 10:51 PM
I want good popular music back. Even just a few years ago, it was tolerable. Holidae In (Chingy) actually can be fun to dance for, for instance, and Unwritten (Natasha Bedingfield) doesn't make me want to stab babies the way some more recent stuff does. Now 4 had some -good- songs on it, like Blue (Eifel 65) and I think the only songs I really didn't like on that album were by Brittany Spears. Even the Backstreet Boy's song is still somewhat tolerable, though I definitely wouldn't say I like it. Going back even further, you get things like R.E.M. and Nirvana in the top 40: just on rock, I think they're better then today's Nickleback.

Maybe it's that the really good music sticks with us and the less good stuff tends to be filtered out through time. But even in the past four or five years, I think that hip hop and pop has declined a bit, although perhaps it's just the taste of those who play it when I'm nearby: I rarely seek it out on my own.

*shrugs* So, good music popular, can has?

Edit: And by this I mean "I like music back before I was an arrogant elitist who spends too much time with indie kids." :smallamused:

Stormthorn
2009-01-12, 11:21 PM

Just so long as i can keep my anime. I always considered comic books to be better than manga but anime to be better than western cartoons.

Fedoras and porkpie hats. I wore a fedora for 3 years at my high-school and i went from being one of two hat wearers (not caps. hats) to being more like one of twenty or thirty.
In college the hats seem more common, but i havnt seen a young student with one as nice as my Dobbs. I guess they would rather by an ipod or a guitar with the money.

Rutskarn
2009-01-12, 11:54 PM
The Horse Collar.

Man, they just don't make obsolete farming equipment the way they used to.

Canadian
2009-01-13, 11:14 AM
Witch burnings. It's been a while since someone sparked one up.

Supagoof
2009-01-13, 01:37 PM
I have the fire pit if you have the witch....:smallwink:

Agree with the hammer pants. Saw Zubazz (like hammer pants with zebra striped design and neon colors) for sale at the mall during christmas. Smiled at it's awesomeness.

The Mullet - need more business in front, party in rear hairstyles.

Hats - yes. Fedora's and such. Sadly, they fell off the fads when Kennedy was President in the US. 1st President to not wear them, and with what happened to him it was the final nail in the coffin for awesome hats. Now it's considered trendy to wear them, but you also have to buy $10 cups of coffee and drive a Mini-Cooper to pull it off correctly.

Cheap cars. Bring back the low price standard that the Model A set, and the 70s Volkswagon beetle continued. A car that ran fine, had no thrills or luxeries, but did the job and did it well.

Canadian
2009-01-13, 05:24 PM
Powdered wigs & snuff tobacco. Nothing like sniffing your tobacco like it was cocaine. The powdered wig is due for a comeback. Add in a cane and you're a modern Aristo-Pimp!