PDA

View Full Version : A challenge for homebrewers

Abbott
2009-01-09, 10:46 AM
This is very simple. I give the name of a more or less serious monster, someone homebrews stats (and perhaps fluff) for it and then they get to name a new monster that someone else brews stats for, etc.

Let's start with the dreaded Dire Gazebo (preferably something that would benefit from the fiendish template, because a Fiendish Dire Gazebo is made of win).

The Neoclassic
2009-01-09, 10:50 AM
:smalleek: This sounds like so much fun but I have to leave soon.... Not nearly enough time to throw one together. If no one else has taken the challenge by this evening, I will be all over this.

Debihuman
2009-01-09, 12:08 PM
Gazebo is always fun, but unfortunately, it's been done to death. It's in the Munchkin D20 Monster Manual.

It is also in Bride of a Portable Hole Full of Beer-- a pdf file which can be had for FREE at RPGNow.com. http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2544&it=1&filters=0_0_0&free=1

Here's the backstory:

Eric and the Gazebo
by Richard Aronson

Let us cast our minds back to the early days of fantasy role-playing... In the early '70s, Ed Whitechurch ran "his game," and one of the participants was Eric Sorenson, a veritable giant of a man. This story is essentially true: I knew both Ed and Eric, and neither denies it (although Eric, for reasons that will become apparent, never repeats it).

The gist of it is that Eric... well, you need a bit more about Eric.

Eric comes quite close to being a computer. When he games, he methodically considers each possibility before choosing his preferred option. If given time, he will invariably pick the optimum solution. It has been known to take weeks. He is otherwise in all respects a superior gamer, and I've spent many happy hours competing with and against him, as long as he is given enough time.

So... Eric was playing a neutral paladin (Why should only lawful, good religions get to have holy warriors? was the rationale) in Ed's game. He even had a holy sword, which fought well and did all those things holy swords are supposed to do, including good or evil (by random die roll). He was on some lord's lands when the following exchange occurred:

ED: You see a well-groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo.
ERIC: A gazebo? What color is it?
ED: (Pause) It's white, Eric.
ERIC: How far away is it?
ED: About 50 yards.
ERIC: How big is it?
ED: (Pause) It's about 30 feet across, 15 feet high, with a pointed top.
ERIC: I use my sword to detect whether it's good.
ED: It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo!
ERIC: (Pause) I call out to it.
ED: It won't answer. It's a gazebo!
ERIC: (Pause) I sheathe my sword and draw my bow and arrows. Does it respond in any way?
ED: No, Eric. It's a gazebo!
ERIC: I shoot it with my bow (rolls to hit). What happened?
ED: There is now a gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it.
ERIC: (Pause) Wasn't it wounded?
ED: Of course not, Eric! It's a gazebo!
ERIC: (Whimper) But that was a plus-three arrow!
ED: It's a gazebo, Eric, a gazebo! If you really want to try to destroy it, you could try to chop it wih an axe, I suppose, or you could try to burn it, but I don't know why anybody would even try. It's a @#%$*& gazebo!
ERIC: (Long pause - he has no axe or fire spells) I run away.
ED: (Thoroughly frustrated) It's too late. You've awakened the gazebo, and it catches you and eats you.
ERIC: (Reaching for his dice) Maybe I'll roll up a fire-using mage so I can avenge my paladin...

At this point, the increasingly amused fellow party members restored a modicum of order by explaining what a gazebo is. This is solely an afterthought, of course, but Eric is doubly lucky that the gazebo was not situated on a grassy knoll.

Debby

Lappy9000
2009-01-09, 12:29 PM
This is very simple. I give the name of a more or less serious monster, someone homebrews stats (and perhaps fluff) for it and then they get to name a new monster that someone else brews stats for, etc.

Let's start with the dreaded Dire Gazebo (preferably something that would benefit from the fiendish template, because a Fiendish Dire Gazebo is made of win).

As a note, everyone doing this should probably call that they're making said monster. It would really stink if several people spend two hours working on a Dire Gazebo only to be ninja'd by someone else.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-09, 02:17 PM
As a note, everyone doing this should probably call that they're making said monster. It would really stink if several people spend two hours working on a Dire Gazebo only to be ninja'd by someone else.

Good point. I say, people should post if they are going to make something, but others should still feel free to make the monster. It'd be fun to see a few different interpretations. In that case though, would it be the first claimer or the first completer who gets it? Hmm.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-09, 05:17 PM
Dire Gazebo

Dire gazebos spend most of their time sitting around, apparently harmless. They are indistinguishable from the more common manmade gazebo (also known as a “true gazebo”); they’re usually hexagonal, white, and with a pointed top. Every few weeks, however, they enjoy snatching and eating helpless humanoids. Attempting to attack a dire gazebo or attracting its attention, such as by shouting at and then fleeing from it, when it is in a bad mood may provoke similar ire.

Gargantuan Aberration
Hit Dice: 20d8+240 (330 hp)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (–4 size, -4 Dex, +19 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+35
Attack: Bite +20 (3d6+8)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.; immunity to cold, electricity, poison, and disease; damage reduction (see below)
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +2, Will +13
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 2, Con 34, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 4
Skills: Intimidate +20
Feats: Weapon Focus (Bite), Ability Focus (Swallow Whole), Improved Natural Attack, Ability Focus (Improved Grab)

Environment: Parks or similarly manicured but outdoor locations
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: None

The treasure of dire gazebos is usually from previous victims and is stored inside their stomachs; the treasure cannot be recovered unless the creature is slain. Destroying the creature by fire may damage or destroy any flammable items which are in a dire gazebo’s possession.

Damage Reduction:Dire gazebos have a DR of 15 against acid, force (in spells such as magic missile), bludgeoning weapons, and piercing weapons.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a gazebo hits with its bite attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The gazebo has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature. Each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Swallow Whole (Ex): If a gazebo begins its turn with an opponent held in its mouth (see Improved Grab), it can attempt a new grapple check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category smaller than the swallowing creature. Being swallowed has various consequences, depending on the creature doing the swallowing. A swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while the creature that did the swallowing is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is noted in the creature description), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a gazebo is 19. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again.

Creator's Notes:
Yeah, I could have given them two more feats but I was indecisive. Frankly, I think it is probably still rough around the edges; any improvements upon it are of course more than welcome. CR might be off too; I am terrible at coming up with those. Anyway, enjoy!