PDA

View Full Version : Languages in SWSE

Darth Stabber
2009-01-09, 03:18 PM
So I am sitting down creating my character for a starwars game and I realize that I have no idea what languages to pick. Almost every body speaks basic, and those that don't (wookies) at least understand it. I am playing a Duros scoundrel with 16 int, and I need to pick 2 languages (already picked huttese since my character is currently employed by a hutt, and i'm starting on nar shadaa. I'm thinking shyriiwook, and gammorean since they are the only races that can't speak basic, so i could understand them, or maybe binary to listen in on droids talking. Why do they have all these languages?

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-09, 03:38 PM
Pick the language of your enemies and of the most secretive races. Binary would be good, yes, since droids are everywhere.

And your .sig is gigantic. Please shrink it a little?

Tacoma
2009-01-09, 04:19 PM
It's a clever trick to create your own language shared by your party, kind of a code, so you can communicate without people understanding you. All your written materials are in this secret language. So you can have a little sign that says "secret cargo hold" and nobody will be the wiser.

KillianHawkeye
2009-01-09, 04:44 PM
Well, just going from a "what might make sense for your character" standpoint, Bocce makes a decent backup language due to the fact that it's pretty common. If you've spent a lot of time in Hutt space, you might also want Jawa Trade Language. Otherwise, the Hutts tend to employ a lot of Gamorreans and Rodians, so their languages are more common in that region as well. Or maybe Toydarian? Maybe not.

You probably won't need Shyriiwook unless you actually have a Wookie in your party.

Waspinator
2009-01-09, 05:14 PM
It probably doesn't matter that much which ones you personally know since you can always buy a droid with whatever other languages you want.

Tacoma
2009-01-09, 06:23 PM
Or build your own protocol droid. Out of sand and parts from Radio Shack.

KillianHawkeye
2009-01-10, 02:27 PM
Protocol droids are pretty cheap (3,000 cred for a standard 3PO unit). You can pool your funds to get one or just get your party Noble to front the cost for you. :smallbiggrin: