PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic, wands and feats

opakedragon
2009-01-09, 04:06 PM
Assume you are a Diviner (wizard) of the appropriate level, with all the appropriate creation feats.

If you have Quicken Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickenSpell) and you have Metamagic School Focus (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Metamagic_School_Focus,CM), could you create a wand of quickened true strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueStrike.htm#)?

From what I understand you can create a wand with a metamagic feat applied to the spells cast from the wand so long as the spell is 4th level or lower when the metamagic feat is applied. Being a diviner the wizard takes the metamagic school focus preparinng the quickened true strike as a 4th level spell. From my point of view this makes sense. Or am I missing something?

Also this wand's base price should theoretically be: 4(spell level) × 7(minimum caster level for a fourth level spell) × 750 gp = 21000 gp

so the xp cost to make the wand is: 1/25 base price = 840 xp
and the cost of raw materials would be: 1/2 base price = 10500 gp

Thanks for your inputs.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-09, 04:09 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)

Keld Denar
2009-01-09, 04:28 PM
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)

Actually, this was changed in the Rules Compendium, where they decided that Spell Trigger items like Wands actually have the casting time of the spell stored in them.

That said, casting a Quickened spell is a swift action, so you could only do it once per round, and you couldn't interupt a full attack to do it, so you couldn't add the TS to your final iterative attack in a round, if you were meleeing. It would only apply to your primary attack, which, for a well built meleer, always hits anyway. It still might be useful, although expensive, for a caster who likes to cast it alot before things like Disintegrate or Enervation come out, and hates burning 4th or 5th level slots on Quickened TS. Pretty expensive, but doable.

I don't think you would have a problem making one of these, but I'd run it past your DM first.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-09, 05:43 PM
From what I understand you can create a wand with a metamagic feat applied to the spells cast from the wand so long as the spell is 4th level or lower when the metamagic feat is applied. Being a diviner the wizard takes the metamagic school focus preparinng the quickened true strike as a 4th level spell. From my point of view this makes sense. Or am I missing something?
I think you are missing the DM throwing a book at you.

Starscream
2009-01-09, 06:09 PM
I think you are missing the DM throwing a book at you.

So long as he misses as well, no harm done.

Keld Denar
2009-01-09, 06:21 PM
So long as he misses as well, no harm done.

Unless the DM is also using a Wand of Quickened True Strike. +20 to hit goes a long way to correct geekly clumsiness. :P

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-09, 07:32 PM
That said, casting a Quickened spell is a swift action, so you could only do it once per round, and you couldn't interupt a full attack to do it, so you couldn't add the TS to your final iterative attack in a round, if you were meleeing. It would only apply to your primary attack, which, for a well built meleer, always hits anyway.
No. A swift action is like a free action, except that you can only use one per round. And you can use free actions in the middle of a full attack. Just ask any Quick Draw knife thrower.