PDA

View Full Version : Magic Vestment

Seatbelt
2009-01-09, 11:11 PM
I know bonuses don't stack. Two sources of an enhancement bonus to strength don't stack. But Magic Vestment.. you can cast it on a shield or a suit of armor. Now, +3 armor and +2 shields both have an enhancement bonus to AC right? If I cast magic vestment on my shield and on my fullplate, do those stack? Every instinct I have as a D&D player says "LIKE BONUSES TO NOT STACK!!!" But on the other hand.. I feel like they should, as the spell is written. Which one is right?

monty
2009-01-09, 11:13 PM
They would stack, because one is an enhancement bonus to your shield bonus to AC, and the other is an enhancement bonus to your armor bonus to AC, and shield bonuses and armor bonuses stack.

I think. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Draz74
2009-01-09, 11:42 PM

Nope, you got it.

Prometheus
2009-01-10, 12:09 AM
Nope, you got it.
But he said feel free, so I can only conclude that we shouldn't let pesky things like reality get in the way of insisting that he is absolutely wrong.

Does the spell say Magic Vestments? No it does not, it says Magic Vestment. So clearly you aren't meant to use it twice. Next incontrovertible piece of evidence: Vestment implies the state of having been "vested". And you can't be vested again if you have already been vested because clearly people look silly wearing multiple vests. Next, since the spell specifically says that clothing can count as armor and you can't wear more than one piece of armor we know that it would be silly if you could target your clothing and your armor and your shield which is exactly the kind of slippery slope you are on. Finally, that spell would be so broken if we allowed this kind of rules muchkinery compared to the useless 3rd level spells like Blindness/Deafness,Cure Serious Wounds,Dispel Magic,Locate Object, and Bestow Curse!