PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Horizon Walker

McClintock
2009-01-10, 12:05 AM
Ranger 5/Horizon Walker 6 (at least).... But where too after that. I thought about BArbarian, but with dim door, the extra speed is kind of useless. Dervish is out because of feat requirements, and the need to move to get the damage.

So any suggestions?

Elven Ranger 5 (just about to take first level of Horizon)
2-weapon style
Long Sword & Short Sword....
I have feats chosen, but I am not too set on them, so they can be changed, so for arguments sake, I have no feats...

Help... please.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-10, 12:10 AM
Wait - what are you looking for? Optimization and build advice?

What type of campagin?

EDIT: Also - I'm assuming 3.5, right? Its definatly not 4e (not if you're talking about actual multiclassing, at least), but it'll be good to get that out of ye aulde way.

RTGoodman
2009-01-10, 12:12 AM
I agree with thanatos - we'll need more info, including what you're looking for, what the game's level of optimization is, and what sources are allowed. I will go ahead and address this though...

Ranger 5/Horizon Walker 6 (at least).... But where too after that. I thought about BArbarian, but with dim door, the extra speed is kind of useless.

Feel free to go with Barbarian, but use one of the numerous variants that gets rid of Fast Movement in exchange for something else. If you're okay with a little cheese, use the Spirit Lion Totem barbarian from Complete Champion, which gives you Pounce (full attack on a charge) instead of Fast Movement.

McClintock
2009-01-10, 12:43 AM
yes 3.5 and I think I am looking more for build advice with a smidgen of optimization thrown in.

We're running shackled city. In the party we have a monk, a rogue/ranger/swashbuckler, a warlock, and a cleric/sorc. I am the party's original liaison to the Striders, before the all join.

We run a fairly loose game, but no one over optimizes, its more about the role play. I like to be able to hold my own, and as the main front line fighter, I'll need to optimize a tiny bit. The lion totem thing in nice. CC is hard though, its the only complete we don't have.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-10, 12:51 AM
Well, the SRD works, right?

There are some Variant Class features (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantcharacterclasses.htm), with a bunch of different Totems presented.

KKL
2009-01-10, 12:56 AM
Its definatly not 4e (not if you're talking about actual multiclassing, at least)
hurr

In any case, OP. Maybe I could interest you in levels of Warblade, or any of the ToB classes? They could help you, though my know how of 3.5e is dropping like a rock.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-10, 12:58 AM
hurr

In any case, OP. Maybe I could interest you in levels of Warblade, or any of the ToB classes? They could help you, though my know how of 3.5e is dropping like a rock.

I'm just trying to make absolutely sure I can help decently. 3.x and 4e are the big ones right now, I'm aware.

Keep in mind that I actually like Fourth Ed, and am in a weekly game. My mind is actually still in "Deft Strike - go after their reflexes!" mode right now.

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 02:08 AM
Saph has a completely core Horizon Tripper floating around. Its pretty neat.

If you can dip outside of core, Teflemar Shadowlord from Shining South? is pretty neat after you get Shifting Planar Mastery. The 5th level ability allows you to make a full attack after a Dim Door. Thats really nice, but comes into play kind of late.

Also, does your DM enforce xp penalties for multiclassing? Because there are some fun things you could do, but being an elf might hold you back.

KKL
2009-01-10, 02:12 AM
I'm just trying to make absolutely sure I can help decently. 3.x and 4e are the big ones right now, I'm aware.

Keep in mind that I actually like Fourth Ed, and am in a weekly game. My mind is actually still in "Deft Strike - go after their reflexes!" mode right now.

But Deft Strike targets AC ;_;

EDIT: Actually, by the 'hurr' comment I didn't mean anything negative, just thought it'd be amusing to drop that down :V

RTGoodman
2009-01-10, 02:31 AM
But Deft Strike targets AC ;_;

Yep, but piercing strike targets Reflex. Close enough, I guess, and I like both for 4E Rogues. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, as for the OP, Barbarian is still a pretty solid addition to a build, even if you don't use the speed boost as much. I mean, Rage can be handy, and there a ton of variant out there for that, too (including, IIRC, one that gives you an extra attack with full attacks instead of the normal bonuses, but I don't remember where that is.)

Optimization-wise you're a little behind because TWF usually isn't as good, but since that's not the primary focus there are a few things you might use. Complete Adventurer has the Tempest PrC, and it gets some nifty TWF abilities. It'll cost you three mediocre feats, unfortunately (Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack), but you get some AC bonuses, lessened penalties from TWF, and lets you share feats between your two weapons. It's not the BEST out there, but I'd say it's at least decent. (Except the capstone, making an attack with BOTH weapons when you Spring Attack, which is thoroughly boring).