PDA

View Full Version : Spelljamming...What to Expect?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-10, 01:03 AM
I'm considering joining an online Spelljammer game (It'll be 3.5 Edition), but I know next to nothing about the setting.

From what I know of it, it's apparently D&D in SPAAAAAAACE and it is populated with all manner of lunacy such as hippo mercenaries, gnome robots and giant hamsters. I just don't know how to respond to that.

It sounds completely ridiculous, and I'm more interested in a serious story. What IS Spelljammer? What is it supposed to feel like? Should I just avoid the game because it'd be too silly for me? I have no idea how to proceed.

Jayngfet
2009-01-10, 01:48 AM
http://www.headinjurytheater.com/dnd%20pigs%20in%20space%20.jpg

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS INNNNNNNNNNNNNN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEEEEEEEE!!!

KKL
2009-01-10, 01:55 AM
Spelljammer is seriously what happens when you append "IN SPAAAAAAACE" to the end of EVERYTHNIG and then cross it with other Sci-Fi things. So no, I don't think it will be that serious.

Zeful
2009-01-10, 02:32 AM
I could be serious, but would tend toward high drama to balance out the "IN SPAAAAACE" feel.

BRC
2009-01-10, 02:35 AM
Spelljammer can be as serious or silly as any other DnD campaign, it just depends on the DM and the group.

IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Tsotha-lanti
2009-01-10, 02:37 AM
It's about as ridiculous as any other (A)D&D setting. For comparison, Planescape, the most philosophical of all the settings, is also the absolutely most ridiculous and absurd.

There's no reason a Spelljammer game can't be all about character-driven intrigue. It's just that you think humanoids that look like hippos are somehow more ridiculous than humanoids that look like hyenas. That's pretty arbitrary.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-01-10, 03:05 AM
There's no reason a Spelljammer game can't be all about character-driven intrigue. It's just that you think humanoids that look like hippos are somehow more ridiculous than humanoids that look like hyenas. That's pretty arbitrary.

Dude, the Giff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giff) are also a race of pith-wearing big game hunters. That's pretty silly no matter how you slice it.

Gnolls, on the other hand, are slavering man-eating barbarians that worship abyssal powers.

I think a lot of "Silly Spelljammer" came from the "everything but the kitchen sink" sort of monster design in 2E. You certainly can have a serious Spelljammer game, but most of it's most notable features are purely ridiculous.

Re: OP
Always ask your DM what kind of campaign he plans to run before you join it. Any system can be run in any fashion, and your DM may not take kindly to off-tone players.

Also: Look what I googled up (http://www.spelljammer.org/sj3e/)! Seems pretty comprehensive to me. :smallsmile:

Dacia Brabant
2009-01-10, 10:35 AM
Spelljammer has:

Mind Flayers who power their ships with life energy siphoned from their many slaves
Dwarves who power their mountain-ships with energy harnessed from their many forges
Living WMDs (Clockwork Horror, Witchlight Marauder)
Githyanki Space Pirates
Lawful Smart orcs (the only thing dumb about them is their name, Scro. Ugh.)
Starwheel pistols

What's not to like?

Grey Paladin
2009-01-10, 11:24 AM
Heresy about Planescape

Mind expanding upon that?

Fishy
2009-01-10, 11:54 AM
It's just that you think humanoids that look like hippos are somehow more ridiculous than humanoids that look like hyenas. That's pretty arbitrary.

Dude, the Giff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giff) are also a race of pith-wearing big game hunters. That's pretty silly no matter how you slice it.

Waitwaitwait. An entire species of hippos wearing pith helmets (http://www.dawsbutler.com/graphics-daws/06pete2.jpg)?

Dude. If your monster is stolen from a 60's Hannah-Barbara cartoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Potamus), that's hardly arbitrary grounds for being called ridiculous.

Another_Poet
2009-01-10, 12:26 PM
Of all the 2nd ed settings I missed out on by being too young and/or having my head up my butt in middle school, Spelljammer is the one I regret most.

If you are foolish enough to give up your seat at this game, please post a link here so I can go grab it :)

afroakuma
2009-01-10, 12:32 PM
Spelljammer can have serious or even terrifying adventures (the story I read about the Witchlight sphere was really creepy, as are the neogi and beholder ships generally.) Your opposition are generally very smart or very large and mandibular (sometimes both) and you work within unique constraints that other settings may not have.

The giff are a special kind of silliness, yes, but bear in mind that they were meant to infuse that Age of Sail British Raj feeling into the setting - and to some extent they succeeded. It's just that they're hippos. I find loxos and tako even more preposterous, so I give them a bye on the hippomen.

Bear in mind, there will likely be guns.

Lapak
2009-01-10, 03:07 PM
It's a setting of extremes. There are Giff and Giant Space Hamsters on one side, and cannibal-slavers who power their ships by draining the life force out of prisoners on the other. Viking longships accidentally catapulted into space one on hand, ships crewed by two dozen beholders on the other. It can be played in either direction, really, depending on what you do with it, but it's definitely swashbuckly adventure rather than dead-serious.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-10, 08:44 PM
I'll need to talk to the DM...He and I don't exactly get along on things.

afroakuma
2009-01-10, 09:55 PM
Giant space hamsters are one silly thing. I doubt they'll even turn up.

I'll need to talk to the DM...He and I don't exactly get along on things.

That would be the bigger issue. The game will probably be great as far as the setting is concerned, but you need to be kosher with your DM to avoid meeting an astereater right after naming your character Aster.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-01-11, 05:29 AM
Mind expanding upon that?

It's the absolutely most ridiculous and silly setting as far as style goes, full of plainly hilarious things (like about half the monsters). The 19th-century London thieves' cant adds immeasurably to the hilarity, and sets the whole style of Sigil similarly.

Really, one word: modrons.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-11, 11:56 AM
That would be the bigger issue. The game will probably be great as far as the setting is concerned, but you need to be kosher with your DM to avoid meeting an astereater right after naming your character Aster.

He thinks I'm a "freakin' moron," especially when I accuse him of godmodding on the forum.

Glyde
2009-01-11, 12:06 PM
He thinks I'm a "freakin' moron," especially when I accuse him of godmodding on the forum.

In that case I'd suggest not playing with him. If your accusations are correct, then he would be a very... interesting GM to play with.

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 12:07 PM
It's the absolutely most ridiculous and silly setting as far as style goes, full of plainly hilarious things (like about half the monsters). The 19th-century London thieves' cant adds immeasurably to the hilarity, and sets the whole style of Sigil similarly.

Really, one word: modrons.

*sigh* Everyone goes after the modrons.

The cant never bothered me too much; sometimes it was funny if pushed too far, but the adventures rarely went to the ridiculous, instead delving into the philosophical, eschatological and spiritual.

...and you considered joining a game under him? Where does he draw that conclusion from? You'll have to sort that out to even think of joining.

I don't follow the "godmodding" on the forum thing... but it's largely irrelevant.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-11, 12:47 PM
...and you considered joining a game under him? Where does he draw that conclusion from? You'll have to sort that out to even think of joining.

I don't follow the "godmodding" on the forum thing... but it's largely irrelevant.

I try to join all the roleplays on the forum we both visit. You can find a link to it in my sig.

We've never liked each other ever since his giant tunnel worm character ate the half-orc messenger I created on the WOTC boards before he even had a chance to relay his message. And when he insists on creating characters from his oddball custom race that is supposedly born blind, cannot feel pain, and can sniff things out like a dog, all the while abusing themselves and treating everyone around them like crap, I get frustrated, especially when he says that our attacks on his characters simply don't do anything. One time I messaged him to try and get him to stop being such an *******. He basically said, "Well, I can kill all your characters with a wave of my hand, since my characters a spellcaster and you're playing a meatshield, and most of the other characters won't fight me, so I can be an *******. It's in character since my character's an ******* to everyone." Hell, we finally decided enough was enough and killed his main character. Another player, who plays the most powerful spellcaster in the area, brought his character back to life.:smallmad:

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 03:28 PM
If he's being a player while godmodding, then the flaw lies with the DM as well for not catching out the problem.

If he is both the DM and a ******* then I would recommend avoiding that particular game. The setting is fun, but you won't enjoy it if your DM is an egotistical child.

Fri
2009-01-11, 03:38 PM
And vice versa. Seriously, I often wonder how people that hate each other can game together and not expecting disaster.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-11, 08:42 PM
If he's being a player while godmodding, then the flaw lies with the DM as well for not catching out the problem.

If he is both the DM and a ******* then I would recommend avoiding that particular game. The setting is fun, but you won't enjoy it if your DM is an egotistical child.

The DM's usually try to keep him in line when he's playing, and one DM allowed us to kill his character when we agreed we'd had enough. I don't think I'll join then. I can't stand the guy, especially since another player's point-blank asked me, in character, to not kill his newly resurrected character.

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 08:44 PM
That's probably best. If another Spelljammer opportunity comes along, though, try it out. You might find you have a lot of fun.

Dacia Brabant
2009-01-11, 09:34 PM
Man, I would almost steal Another Poet's idea and ask to take your spot, but I don't think I'd want to touch that game with a halfling-on-a-10-foot-pole.

Which is really too bad because Spelljammer can be totally awesome and way more horrifying than a lot of stock horror games. But then I do love me some Aberrations, which the setting has plenty of.

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 09:49 PM
Seriously, dig up that fanfic of the search for Witchlight... disturbing.