PDA

View Full Version : [4e] TWF

vartan
2009-01-10, 01:16 PM
Does the two weapon fighting feat in the 4e PHB give a +1 bonus to damage if you wield two weapons? (I don't have the books with me) If so, is that bonus untyped or a feat bonus? (I'm wondering if it stacks with the Dwarven Weapon feat). I'm thinking of a dwarven Tempest Fighter using two waraxes as compared to a Great Weapon using the Greataxe... or Executioner's axe... suggestions or mathematical crunching on those weapons' damages would be very helpful.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-01-10, 01:21 PM
TWF gives a +1 untyped damage bonus on the main weapon only. You must be wielding a melee weapon in each hand to get this bonus.

Dwarven Weapon Training, Eladrin Soldier, and Weapon Focus all give Feat bonuses.

Asbestos
2009-01-10, 01:22 PM
It gives +1 to damage with your main hand weapon... and I believe it is an untyped bonus.

Edit: Two Waraxes? I'm assuming that you are multiclassing into ranger then, correct?

Damage-wise, considering they count as 'off-hand', an urgosh or double-axe would probably be better.

Wait... does a double weapon count as 'a weapon in each hand' or 'two melee weapons' for the purposes of the tempest technique? It does right? Also, odd that Eldarin also get access to the urgosh from Eldarin soldier.

vartan
2009-01-10, 01:25 PM
So if a Dwarven Tempest Fighter in Chain used dual strike with two waraxes the main hand attack would do d12+4 and the offhand would do d12+3 (that's +2 from dwarven weapon feat +1 from tempest talent and +1 from TWF)?]

Edit: Multiclass into ranger... why?

Asbestos
2009-01-10, 01:31 PM
'Feat bonus' is different than 'bonus from a feat'.

TWF
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: While holding a melee weapon in each
hand, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with your
main weapon.

Weapon Focus
Benefit: Choose a specific weapon group, such
as spears or heavy blades. You gain a +1 feat bonus
to damage rolls with your chosen weapon group. At
11th level, this bonus increases to +2. At 21st level, it
increases to +3.

If it does not specifically say 'feat bonus' it is an untyped bonus.

Edit: Clearly I am crazy, because I hit reply and saw something from Artanis about them not stacking because they were both feat bonuses... and now it is not there... wtf?!

Multiclass into ranger because otherwise you can't wield a non-off hand weapon in your off hand. Its the other ranger multiclass feat in MP that lets you do that.

vartan
2009-01-10, 01:37 PM
... Right. I was originally asking if it was untyped or not.

So from TWF the dwarf gets a +1 to dmg from his mainhand waraxe, then we add a +2 feat bonus from the Dwarven Weapon Training feat, and an additional +1 from the Tempest Fighter talent (assuming he is in light armor). So Mainhand is d12+4 and offhand is d12+3... right?

Edit: Oh... So you can't wield a weapon without the offhand property in your offhand unless... damn.

Artanis
2009-01-10, 01:39 PM
I deleted it because I realized I had looked at the wrong feat. Weapon Focus is right next to it, and the two kinda mixed together. So I deleted it to try and keep from accidentally spreading misinformation :smallredface:

Asbestos
2009-01-10, 01:46 PM
... Right. I was originally asking if it was untyped or not.

So from TWF the dwarf gets a +1 to dmg from his mainhand waraxe, then we add a +2 feat bonus from the Dwarven Weapon Training feat, and an additional +1 from the Tempest Fighter talent (assuming he is in light armor). So Mainhand is d12+4 and offhand is d12+3... right?

Edit: Oh... So you can't wield a weapon without the offhand property in your offhand unless... damn.

Yes, I believe so.

But... a double-axe would be d10+5 mainhand and d10+4 offhand because they'd be getting that extra +1 from it being off-hand.

The urgosh is a little wonky because it is both ax and spear so you'd technically get d12+5 mainhand and 1d8+4 offhand (or reverse that d12 and d8, depending on which end you choose to be the main one)

As well, you get +1 AC from the weapon being defensive (I believe this stacks with TWD)

Also... a dwarf whipping an urgosh around like crazy? Awesome.

Edit: Totally random... but why aren't we seeing more tempest fighter halfling builds?

vartan
2009-01-10, 01:59 PM
Hmm... I'm the DM for my groups' 4e campaign and I have a player who is championing the dodecalicious. I don't think anything short of waraxe or executioner's axe will please him.

As for halflings, I'm all for that idea... I loved halfling finesse fighters in 3.x

KKL
2009-01-10, 02:29 PM

There's a feat for that yaknow.

vartan
2009-01-10, 02:43 PM
The feat was referred to earlier... what is it?

KKL
2009-01-10, 02:52 PM
The feat was referred to earlier... what is it?

Martial Power, Page 150, Two-Blade Warrior.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-10, 03:38 PM
Needs Str 13, Dex 13, and you not having taken any non-ranger multiclass feats (unless you're a bard, you lucky sob).

SadisticFishing
2009-01-10, 04:57 PM
You don't get + damage on your offhand, you get + damage with weapons with the offhand property.

It'd be simpler to just use a double weapon, or two light weapons - and far more effective.

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-10, 08:39 PM
Edit: Totally random... but why aren't we seeing more tempest fighter halfling builds?

Halfling Tempest Fighter, Dual-Wielding Katars, and Multiclass Rogue takes Swashbuckler. Now, everything you mark grants Combat Advantage to every other member of your party!