PDA

View Full Version : Last minute feat trading? Duskblade. 3.5e

Roythebattousai
2009-01-10, 02:59 PM
So, I'm playing as a cheap Duskblade with a spiked chain, etc.

I wanted to specialize in tripping and disarming and such, being able to take any opponent one on one.

We're starting at 4th Level. I was allowed four feats. I chose:

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain
Improved Initiative
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip

So, my question was, should I trade Improved Initiative out for anything better?

I was thinking not. But, perhaps. Like... Knock-Down ( http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Knock-Down ) or Knowledge Devotion.

Also: I was wondering, when tripping or disarming someone, does that count as an attack that I can use Arcane Channeling with?

Like, I wrap my Shocking Grasp'd chain around their legs to trip them... do they suffer the effects of my Shocking Grasp?

My Abilities are as follows, for anyone who cares.

Int-17
Str-17
Con-17+2
Wis-7
Dex-10
Cha-6

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 03:06 PM
Improved Init is solid. You don't really have a ton of Knowledges for KD, but it could serve you ok, especially since you can pick up an extra knowledge with KD. Knockdown is ok, but depending on whether or not your DM plays with the errata from S&F (where the feat first appeared), all it does is move the follow up attack to before the trip, rather than after. The errata took away the attack + trip + attack possibility.

As far as channeling on a trip. No. Its a touch attack to initiate a trip, which wouldn't count as channeling. HOWEVER, if you are sucessful with your trip, Improved Trip gives you a followup hit, which will channel the spell.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-10, 03:10 PM
Imp Init is effective but boring. Duskblades were made to be flashy, so based on that, do select a flashier feat!

KKL
2009-01-10, 03:31 PM
Can't go wrong with Power Attack, can you?

Hal
2009-01-10, 03:32 PM
Improved Init is solid. You don't really have a ton of Knowledges for KD, but it could serve you ok, especially since you can pick up an extra knowledge with KD. Knockdown is ok, but depending on whether or not your DM plays with the errata from S&F (where the feat first appeared), all it does is move the follow up attack to before the trip, rather than after. The errata took away the attack + trip + attack possibility.

As far as channeling on a trip. No. Its a touch attack to initiate a trip, which wouldn't count as channeling. HOWEVER, if you are sucessful with your trip, Improved Trip gives you a followup hit, which will channel the spell.

Duskblades actually get all knowledge skills. Knowledge Devotion is okay, but it's only really effective if you know which knowledges to dump skill points in.

I prefer Knockdown. Ten points of damage is not much for a Duskblade, so you'll be able to throw a lot of trips out there.

Grab yourself a Whirling weapon and Arcane Strike and go to town.

only1doug
2009-01-10, 04:26 PM
I'd ditch improved initiative as i personally feel that its a worthless feat. Power Attack is a better choice.

Consider Battlecaster Offense (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Battlecaster_Offense,CM) which a duskblade can qualify for at L1

Eldariel
2009-01-10, 04:58 PM
I'd push Improved Initiative down the line at least after:
Power Attack
Knowledge Devotion
Arcane Strike
Knock-Down (yes, it's spelled like that for whatever reason)

Also, some metamagic is worth considering (although Duskblade can't make very good use out of them). Also, other feats worth considering:

Arcane Disciple (if you have 12 or more Wis, a very solid choice)
Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar: A Duskblade's familiar is very solid due to the HD.
Shock Trooper > Leap Attack (duh)
Cleave: You can deal insane damage between Arcane Strike, Power Attack and Arcane Channeling, and you can spread it across multiple opponents on level 13, so Cleave can be used for a superb damage increase (even works on standard attacks).

AslanCross
2009-01-10, 05:55 PM
I'm a fan of having Power Attack and Arcane Strike as well. Great way to stack damage onto your strike.