PDA

View Full Version : Choristers! What is your favorite choral piece to sing?

Flame of Anor
2009-01-10, 03:05 PM
For those of you who are in a choir, what is your favorite choral song to sing? Non-pop music is preferred, but not exclusively. My personal favorite is Eric Whitacre's Lux Aurumque.

Mods: I don't know if this should be in Media Discussions, so move it if so.

blackfox
2009-01-10, 03:11 PM
I sang Schubert's Standchen as a member of the choir, backing up a professional soloist, when I was a freshman. One of the most beautiful pieces I've heard. Schubert opus 135 or D921, because they number things weird.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-01-10, 03:15 PM
I sang Orff's Carmina Burana at Carnegie Hall in high school. Not necessarily the world's greatest music, but definitely the most fun I've had on stage.

Coidzor
2009-01-10, 05:27 PM
I only have a little bit of experience... But Personent Hodie, not sure who it was by... That's been the most enjoyable choral piece I've performed.

Most enjoyable song I've ever done on stage was with the choir and it was There is Nothing like a Dame from the musical South Pacific. Wouldn't exactly say it was Choral.

Raiser Blade
2009-01-10, 05:51 PM
Baby got Back is always a great classic. I like to perform in higher C-tones. A good bass section is a must though to really get the flow of the piece going.

eidreff
2009-01-10, 06:07 PM
During my A-levels we had a chamber choir (about 30 of us), and at one concert sang Handel's Zadok the Priest accompanied by organ and a "period" chamber orchestra. That was a lot of fun.

Dragonrider
2009-01-10, 06:24 PM
I think my favorite song we've done this year (in a choir of approximately twenty people) is "Hope For Resolution (Song For Mandela and DeKirk)". Can't remember the composer at the moment...but it's kind of a hymn/Christmas song that has some really interesting rounds and that sort of thing.

Thufir
2009-01-10, 08:18 PM
My personal favorite is Eric Whitacre's Lux Aurumque.

I love that piece. Actually, I love everything by Eric Whitacre. You know what's really great for his music? Mixing up the choir so you're surrounded by all the other parts and can hear all the gorgeous harmonies.

So, Lux Aurumque is up there for me, as is Water Night, also by Whitacre. Biebl's Ave Maria is lovely, too. Gyorgy Orban's Daemon Irrepit Callidus is very fun, especially if you do it at full speed. Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb was good. I'm also rather partial to Beethoven's 9th Symphony, and though I've never sung it myself, Mahler's 8th Symphony.

That'll do for a start.

Quorothorn
2009-01-10, 09:34 PM
In taberna quando sumus (from Carmina Burana by Carl Orff) was nicknamed "the ten pages of hell" by my fellow male college choristers a couple semesters ago, for its ridiculous pace. And it was AWESOME. O Fortuna (also from Orff's piece) even more so. Four semesters in my college's chorus, and that (from my first semester as a member) is still probably the highlight.

I'd have to look up my favorite pieces from last semester (can't remember the names): gimme a couple minutes...