PDA

View Full Version : Warblade Wealth management

Zenos
2009-01-10, 03:25 PM
So, I am making a level one warblade for the Worlds Largest Dungeon. And, having taken a halberd and some leather armour, I wonder what to do with 105 remaining Gold Pieces. And that is why I am asking for suggestions from the Players in the Playground.

Pre-emptive thanks for help lent.

EDIT: Link: Naja Revenant Carrefour, Whiteraven Warblade (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101949)

Shpadoinkle
2009-01-10, 04:00 PM
Everything you can afford. Aside from food, or course, get pots, rope, mirrors, marbles, caltrops, ladders, no less than four daggers, grappling hooks, pitons and a couple hammers (just in case), some small empty crates and barrels, a couple bags of flour, acid, alchemist's fire, the kitchen sink, and a mule (and a cart) to haul all this crap around with you. Become BatGuyver.

Edit: Also, multiple sacks of various sizes.

Zenos
2009-01-10, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, at least some twohundredandfifty feet of rope, some ten pints of oil and a lantern have been bought.

EDIT: Linky to buildy. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101949)

Heliomance
2009-01-10, 04:19 PM
An 11-foot pole. Too many things have a 10-foot blast radius.

Zenos
2009-01-10, 04:25 PM

Yeah. Gotta get that.

Hunter Noventa
2009-01-10, 05:50 PM
Preferably the Collapsable 11 foot pole. And if you have it, and the DM allows it, the Arms and Equipment Guide has quite the selection of odd little thigns for small amounts of money that may or may not be useful.

Zenos
2009-01-10, 05:58 PM
Preferably the Collapsable 11 foot pole. And if you have it, and the DM allows it, the Arms and Equipment Guide has quite the selection of odd little thigns for small amounts of money that may or may not be useful.

Unfortunately, I don't have it.

AslanCross
2009-01-10, 06:01 PM
PHB2 has a "Standard Adventurer's Kit" that has everything you need. The whole thing only costs 15 GP. Everything in it can be found in the core PHB, just that it kind of lists the stuff you need but may be forgetting.
Wouldn't hurt to get a ranged weapon as well. Too often I see party members getting screwed just because they only have melee (or only ranged) weapons. You have full BAB, might as well make use of it.

Shpadoinkle
2009-01-10, 07:15 PM
PHB2 has a "Standard Adventurer's Kit" that has everything you need. The whole thing only costs 15 GP. Everything in it can be found in the core PHB, just that it kind of lists the stuff you need but may be forgetting.
Wouldn't hurt to get a ranged weapon as well. Too often I see party members getting screwed just because they only have melee (or only ranged) weapons. You have full BAB, might as well make use of it.

Except Warblades aren't proficient with any ranged weapons, unless they're throwing weapons that can also be used in melee, e.g. daggers and such.

AslanCross
2009-01-10, 10:09 PM
Except Warblades aren't proficient with any ranged weapons, unless they're throwing weapons that can also be used in melee, e.g. daggers and such.

Ouch, I missed that completely. Thanks for the correction.

Eldariel
2009-01-10, 10:12 PM

This easily gets fixed by dipping Crusader/Fighter/Barbarian/any non-Warblade melee class though. Or being an Elf.

evil_d4_swarm
2009-01-10, 10:35 PM
I suggest that you get yourself a spiked gauntlet to wear in addition to the halberd. with this, you will be able to attack adjacent enemies (and use maneuvers on them.)

Llama231
2009-01-10, 10:46 PM
Can you hire an NPC?
Maybe some more party members?

For part A of the WLD, diplomacy is useful.

lol ogre.

Leon
2009-01-11, 02:36 AM
I suggest that you get yourself a spiked gauntlet to wear in addition to the halberd. with this, you will be able to attack adjacent enemies (and use maneuvers on them.)

Halberd is a non reach weapon

maybe try and wiggle some heavier amour than leather if you've 105gp to spend

Zenos
2009-01-11, 05:01 AM
The thing is, I have now used a goodly bit of my WBL on ropes, oil, SAK, and a lantern, since I don't have darkvision. I do have around twenty-five gp and eight sp left though.

Dhavaer
2009-01-11, 05:05 AM
maybe try and wiggle some heavier amour than leather if you've 105gp to spend

I agree with this. That's more than enough for a chain shirt.

Zenos
2009-01-11, 05:46 AM
I agree with this. That's more than enough for a chain shirt.

^
@
Read mypost above, much of my WBL has now been used.

AslanCross
2009-01-11, 07:54 AM
Spending 15 more GP could get you Studded leather instead of plain leather. the increase in AC may just save your life.

Zenos
2009-01-11, 08:04 AM
Okay, added studded leather armour. Now i have 13 gp and 8 silver pieces.

Heliomance
2009-01-11, 08:12 AM
Marbles. 2sp for 2lb, which is enough to cover a 5-foot square. Any enemy on a square covered with marbles has to make a balance check. Anyone mking a balance check who has less than 5 ranks in balance is flat footed.

Zenos
2009-01-11, 08:23 AM
Marbles. 2sp for 2lb, which is enough to cover a 5-foot square. Any enemy on a square covered with marbles has to make a balance check. Anyone mking a balance check who has less than 5 ranks in balance is flat footed.

That does sound like something a tactician would do. I am getting it. I just wonder how much would be enough, like, twenty pounds of marbles? Fifty pounds?

EDIT: Also, where are marbles from? Can't find 'em in PHB.

Heliomance
2009-01-11, 09:18 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide

Zenos
2009-01-11, 09:22 AM
Could caltrops be a nice additon?

bosssmiley
2009-01-11, 10:59 AM
Get a couple of wardogs. Instant flanking and grappling buddies, and ablative armour for 1st level melee fighters (each attack on the dogs is 1 less attack on you).

Sacrificial Fuzzy Landsharks are your friends. :smallwink:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 11:21 AM
An 11-foot pole. Too many things have a 10-foot blast radius.

You ARE aware that our friendly Warblade has a few feet of actual arm, right? I liked the 11-foot pole the first time I heard it, but seriously, a sane DM would rule that a ten-foot blast radius doesn't affect the guy on the non-pokey end of the pole. Drop the pole and your arm as a free action, You arm is by your side, and you're now at the square adjacent to the edge of the blast radius.

Zenos
2009-01-11, 11:53 AM
Get a couple of wardogs. Instant flanking and grappling buddies, and ablative armour for 1st level melee fighters (each attack on the dogs is 1 less attack on you).

Sacrificial Fuzzy Landsharks are your friends. :smallwink:

You mean guard dogs? Maybe. Although I have to let go of some rope. Ah well.

Rion
2009-01-11, 01:03 PM
I know this may sound a little rude (not my intention), but do you know your character isn't wearing brigandine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine)?

Zenos
2009-01-11, 01:14 PM
Yes, I have looked it up.

EDIT: By the way, what armour would most closely resemble brigandine in amount of protection offered? :smallconfused:

Darrin
2009-01-11, 02:16 PM

Mules are cheaper (8 GP), and have a better grappling bonus. Training them the Pin (+ grapple) trick is a DC 15 Handle Animal check:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a

Caltrops (debuff enemy movement) and Marbles (make enemies flat-footed, A&EG p. 24, 2 SP per bag) are also very handly, but it takes a standard action to spread them in a square. You can reduce this to a move action by training a monkey or baboon to spread them for you. Also a great activity if you've got an Unseen Servant twiddling its thumbs with nothing to do.

Zenos
2009-01-11, 02:28 PM
Mules are cheaper (8 GP), and have a better grappling bonus. Training them the Pin (+ grapple) trick is a DC 15 Handle Animal check:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a

Caltrops (debuff enemy movement) and Marbles (make enemies flat-footed, A&EG p. 24, 2 SP per bag) are also very handly, but it takes a standard action to spread them in a square. You can reduce this to a move action by training a monkey or baboon to spread them for you. Also a great activity if you've got an Unseen Servant twiddling its thumbs with nothing to do.

While the visual of a mule sitting on an orc is hilarious, I just think it is a bit... Training mules specifically for sitting on people just feels wierd.

monty
2009-01-11, 02:33 PM
While the visual of a mule sitting on an orc is hilarious, I just think it is a bit... Training mules specifically for sitting on people just feels wierd.

In Soviet Russia...

Zenos
2009-01-11, 02:36 PM
In Soviet Russia...

...You sit on mules?? :smallconfused:

monty
2009-01-11, 02:53 PM
...You sit on mules?? :smallconfused:

No...mule sits on you.

Zenos
2009-01-11, 02:56 PM
But my character is not from Soviet Russia. Or anywhere near USSR.